PDA

View Full Version : Battle at tight end brews between Steelers’ Paulson, Spaeth

stillers4me
08-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Perhaps there's no substitute for speed, but the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) still have enough at the flanks with Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders that the loss of Mike Wallace might not significantly impact the offense.

However, the absence of tight end Heath Miller will influence a passing game that largely was inconsistent last season. While Wallace was clearly the game-breaker, Miller became quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's lean-on possession receiver.

Miller put up career numbers — 816 receiving yards and eight touchdowns — and hauled in 71 receptions before sustaining a season-ending knee injury against Cincinnati in December.

In contrast, those seeking to replace Miller lack awe-inspiring numbers. David Paulson, one of four seventh-round picks last year, and Matt Spaeth had a combined 13 catches during the 2012 season.

Spaeth, who spent two seasons in Chicago after leaving Pittsburgh, spent much of minicamp as the apparent No. 1. Paulson started the final game last season and appears to have a better grasp of Todd Haley's offense..........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4442255-74/paulson-spaeth-miller#ixzz2alASuUvk

ALLD
08-01-2013, 06:37 PM
If Paulson can't beat out Speath, he deserves to be cut.

Dwinsgames
08-01-2013, 07:24 PM
If Paulson can't beat out Speath, he deserves to be cut.

its sad that one of them is our likely starter week 1 , when it is my opinion they both should be on the bubble for a roster spot based on their talent level shown thus far in their careers

st33lersguy
08-01-2013, 09:35 PM
If Paulsen can't beat out Spaeth, he doesn't belong in the NFL, frankly I don't think Spaeth belongs on an NFL roster

one side only
08-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Should have drafted Tyler Eifert.

st33lersguy
08-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Should have drafted Tyler Eifert.

Over a steal and better player in last year's NCAA sack leader Jarvis Jones with James Harrison gone and with Heath Miller probably returning before the end of this season. This is most likely just a stopgap solution, one of these guys will probably not start the entire year and I'm doubtful they start half

blitz
08-03-2013, 08:53 PM
I read somewhere that Spaeth was the #1 ranked blocking TE. If he can help our running game I can care less if he doesnt have the ability to put up big receiving numbers. We will get that once Heath comes back.

TomlinSteelTribe
08-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Paulsen saw the field as a rookie. I think you guys are giving up on him mighty quick. Heath's not gonna be around forever.

For whatever it's worth, Paulsen was consistently standing up Jarvis Jones in drills Friday evening. I was disappointed to see that.

Psycho Ward 86
08-04-2013, 11:10 PM
I read somewhere that Spaeth was the #1 ranked blocking TE. If he can help our running game I can care less if he doesnt have the ability to put up big receiving numbers. We will get that once Heath comes back.

Your assessment seems correct. Matt Spaeth was ranked the best blocking tight end in the NFL last season: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/06/steelers-tight-end-matt-spaeth-2013-depth-chart/

(Its in the paragraph below the animated GIF)

fansince'76
08-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Paulsen saw the field as a rookie. I think you guys are giving up on him mighty quick. Heath's not gonna be around forever.

Not to mention all the times Paulson would make a catch and the crowd would go "HEEEEEAAAAAATH," and there were quite a few of those.

Seven
08-04-2013, 11:44 PM
I really don't understand the hate on Paulson and Spaeth. Paulson was a 7th round pick who busted his ass last season and played well for a rookie. And Spaeth shouldn't be on a pro roster? Seriously? Leonard Pope made this team last season. I'm thrilled Spaeth is back. At least he can run block.

Dwinsgames
08-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Spaeth out a couple weeks with knee surgery

Chidi29
08-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Spaeth out a couple weeks with knee surgery

Where'd you read that? David Todd said he was practicing today.

one side only
08-05-2013, 04:49 PM
I heard he had scar tissue cleaned up, but apparently they just drained fluid off his knee. Wexell calls it a "procedure" here, and predicts a 2 week absence. http://pit.scout.com/2/1312856.html

Chidi29
08-05-2013, 05:17 PM
I heard he had scar tissue cleaned up, but apparently they just drained fluid off his knee. Wexell calls it a "procedure" here, and predicts a 2 week absence. http://pit.scout.com/2/1312856.html

Yeah, I know he had his knee drained. But the report said he was participating so...

Maybe not fully but he's out there, it seems.

tube517
08-05-2013, 07:54 PM

Spaeth looked pretty good in 2011 when he was in to block. People just rag on Spaeth for his drunken lookout duties and that he isn't the greatness that Earl brings.

Psycho Ward 86
08-05-2013, 07:54 PM
^Aaaaand this is why everyone should provide a link when providing vital information

tube517
08-05-2013, 08:05 PM
^Aaaaand this is why everyone should provide a link when providing vital information

Huh? I'm only supporting what you just posted. I don't claim to be some superior football expert just posting for shits and grins. When I watched him in 2011, he was actually BLOCKING and not just standing around looking lost with his thumb up his ass.

steelreserve
08-05-2013, 08:48 PM
This battle won't end until one of them clubs the other over the head with a toilet.

Psycho Ward 86
08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Huh? I'm only supporting what you just posted. I don't claim to be some superior football expert just posting for shits and grins. When I watched him in 2011, he was actually BLOCKING and not just standing around looking lost with his thumb up his ass.

That was intended for the person in this thread lacking a link.

Dwinsgames
08-05-2013, 09:54 PM
That was intended for the person in this thread lacking a link.

if you are pointing at me ( and I suspect you are ) I did not feel it was proper to link another forum hence why I abstained from linking it