PDA

View Full Version : LaMarr Woodley: Steelers scheme kept my sacks down in 2012

polamalubeast
08-01-2013, 11:13 AM
After some criticism that his offseason conditioning work wasn’t up to snuff early in the offseason, the Steelers feel linebacker LaMarr Woodley is “where we need to have him” in training camp.

Those complaints came with the implication that Woodley’s injury issues and paltry sack totals last season were because he wasn’t in good enough shape and that a more diligent offseason will eliminate those issues. Woodley thinks there’s another reason in addition to injuries why his pass rushing production dropped, however, and that’s the role he was asked to play in the Steelers defense.

In defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau’s zone-blitz heavy scheme, Woodley is sometimes asked to drop into pass coverage rather than get after the quarterback. Woodley feels he was asked to do that too often in 2012 and hopes that won’t be the case again this season.

read more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/01/lamarr-woodley-steelers-scheme-kept-sacks-down-in-2012/

Shoes
08-01-2013, 11:57 AM
How about some fat and laziness mixed in there, LaMarr? How about zipping the lips and letting your game play speak for you.

Craic
08-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Two different responses:

(1) I haven't checked stats or rewatched the games, but seeing how our defense has overhauled the pass protection, I wouldn't be surprised if this was absolutely true.

(2) Hey, Woodley, if you're being asked to drop in coverage, drop in coverage and keep your mouth shut. I'm sick and tired of watching our defense stop teams for 50 minutes only to let them walk up and down the field in the last 10 putting up TD after TD because our pass defense can't stop them. Whatever changes were made last year worked. So again, shut up and play the game.

Chidi29
08-01-2013, 01:42 PM
For what it's worth, listening to the comments, it came off as a little frustrated but not in a menacing, pissed off at the coaches tone like it seems in print. Just my thought though.

Interesting tweet though that suggests Woodley's claim isn't true though.

polamalubeast
08-01-2013, 01:59 PM
For what it's worth, listening to the comments, it came off as a little frustrated but not in a menacing, pissed off at the coaches tone like it seems in print. Just my thought though.

LOL

Chidi29
08-01-2013, 02:48 PM
I know listed weights are always a lot lower than what players actually play at but dang...

X-Terminator
08-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Yeah, it was pretty obvious he was pushing 3 bills just from watching him the last 2 seasons. I haven't seen him yet this year, but I trust Coach Butler's judgment.

Chidi29
08-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Ziggy was 300 pounds when he came out of Missouri! Heyward was right around there too. Crazy.

Craic
08-01-2013, 09:38 PM

I was about to say that I'd think that'd mean it is true due to the amount of games he played. Then I looked it up.

He started in 13 games last year 951 plays total for the defense. So, 951/16 = 59 plays a game, if he played 13, that's 767 plays with a drop back percent for the year of 18 percent.
He started in 10 games the year before, 964 plays total for defense. That's 433.75 plays for 24 percent in 2010

(Obviously he wasn't on the field for every defensive play, and the plays vary over a series of games. But on average, yeah, he didn't drop back near as much this as in previous years.)

Then again, that's also one of those things that make me wonder if we truly understand what LeBeau is doing. It might be that when he's coming in and tying up a TE or a RB, the purpose isn't to actually rush, but keep that TE or RB tied up blocking so they can't run a route. I wouldn't put it past the coach to do that kind of thing, especially if they've seen guys who like to block and release.

Chidi29
08-01-2013, 09:42 PM
All very possible ideas Preacher. Good ideas. And I agree, I trust LeBeau has a handle on things.

blackngldblood
08-01-2013, 10:11 PM
And now he came out of practice early today because of discomfort in the calf. I don't like it. Not one bit.............

Psycho Ward 86
08-01-2013, 11:51 PM
I was about to say that I'd think that'd mean it is true due to the amount of games he played. Then I looked it up.

He started in 13 games last year 951 plays total for the defense. So, 951/16 = 59 plays a game, if he played 13, that's 767 plays with a drop back percent for the year of 18 percent.
He started in 10 games the year before, 964 plays total for defense. That's 433.75 plays for 24 percent in 2010

(Obviously he wasn't on the field for every defensive play, and the plays vary over a series of games. But on average, yeah, he didn't drop back near as much this as in previous years.)

Then again, that's also one of those things that make me wonder if we truly understand what LeBeau is doing. It might be that when he's coming in and tying up a TE or a RB, the purpose isn't to actually rush, but keep that TE or RB tied up blocking so they can't run a route. I wouldn't put it past the coach to do that kind of thing, especially if they've seen guys who like to block and release.

thanks for clearing that up. Wow thats still an awful lot of pass rushing opportunities that woodley is getting. shut up and play woodley. And 300lb? Jesus christ...

Dwinsgames
08-02-2013, 07:42 AM
it has far less to do with scheme and far more to do with weight and conditioning ....

if Woodley wants to continue to look for excuses and lay blame it just goes to show you he lacks accountability .....

Devilsdancefloor
08-02-2013, 07:56 AM
How about some fat and laziness mixed in there, LaMarr? How about zipping the lips and letting your game play speak for you.
QFT stop making excuses

Seven
08-02-2013, 09:50 PM
From what I've seen he's in much better shape now than he has been in a long time, but that doesn't mean it'll stay that way. Have to keep him motivated I guess.

XxKnightxX
08-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Oh Woodley, way to make an excuse. Heres what kept your sacks down. 1. out of shape 2.lack of proper rehabbing 3.Too busy being a big shot in music videos and other outlets instead of focusing on your job. Result- Complacency and it bit you in the ass when Harrison started breaking down.

Heinz Hitman
08-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Not to mention that he lived on Facebook all through last season. He would post several times a day on there. Hopefully he isn't so lazy this season....

GoSlash27
08-04-2013, 08:22 AM
276 total YPG allowed. (#1 in the league)
185 YPG passing allowed. (#1 in the league)
91 YPG rushing allowed. (#2 in the league)

Whatever he was doing worked. I'm not gonna bitch about how many sacks he didn't get.