PDA

View Full Version : Pirates tickets become hottest in town

X-Terminator
07-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Technically, the Pirates' doubleheader Tuesday against the St. Louis Cardinals was not a "sellout."

There just weren't any seats left to sell.

The rare doubleheader, made necessary when the Pirates-Cardinals game on April 16 was rained out, became a popular pick as soon as it was scheduled.

But because of the team's liberal ticket-exchange policy -- which allows season-ticket holders to trade unused game tickets for future weekday games -- the only tickets available at the PNC Park windows were "standing room only."

"A lot of our season-ticket holders traded for this game," Pirates spokesman Brian Warecki said before the games started. "Let's say you skipped an April game -- your ticket already counted in April, so we can't count it in our official count today.

"So we may announce a crowd of 34,000 or whatever, but we do not declare that a sellout. So, unfortunately, even if it ends up being our largest crowd ever, it won't qualify as a sellout.

"We sold approximately 1,800 SROs for today," Mr. Warecki added. "There is a limit to ensure we maintain a great experience for the fans in the park."
The official announced attendance was 33,861.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-tickets-become-hottest-item-in-town-697515/#ixzz2adbx0Mh1

I'm actually considering buying a 10-game plan this season...first time I'd have had season tickets since the end of the 2008 season. Should I do it? I DO have a reputation to uphold, and besides, if they tank, I don't want it to be my fault.

Decisions...

fansince'76
07-31-2013, 10:54 AM
http://www.synapticpotential.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Bandwagon.jpg

:chuckle:

X-Terminator
07-31-2013, 11:01 AM
To be fair, they've lost an entire generation of fans and only the extreme die-hards continued to follow the team. Even I was a STH until 2008 when they traded damn near everybody and I was fed up. So I'm not going to get on anyone for jumping on the bandwagon.

salamander
07-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Don't jinx them, X-T. :chuckle:

Chidi29
07-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Do it! They've disappointed you long enough. Go enjoy them.

X-Terminator
07-31-2013, 03:49 PM
Well, scratch that. Pissed at them again, because they chose to do fuck all to improve RF for the stretch run. So now we have 56 games of Tabata, Snider and Presley when they could have had Schierholtz or any number of guys.

Great job, Neal. The team had better not fall flat again.

Hindes204
07-31-2013, 03:53 PM
I too am a bit disappointed XT....there was a lot of talent out there that could have helped tremendously, and we did absolutely nothing

Chidi29
07-31-2013, 03:54 PM
I don't blame them for staying put. The market was really tough this year. Hardly any movement. If there wasn't a deal they liked, they shouldn't pull the trigger. And they didn't.

X-Terminator
07-31-2013, 03:57 PM
Just read that Greg Brown said that NH wanted to go all-in and went after some big names (what those names are, we don't know), but no teams would bite. Could be that the asking prices were indeed too high, or he made really low-ball offers. It's not any less disappointing, though.

Chidi29
07-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Just read that Greg Brown said that NH wanted to go all-in and went after some big names (what those names are, we don't know), but no teams would bite. Could be that the asking prices were indeed too high. It's not any less disappointing, though.

Team asked about Trumbo from LA. Couldn't get anything there. And it's no secret the Pirates wanted Stanton but Miami refused to move him.

Count Steeler
07-31-2013, 04:14 PM
http://youtu.be/dmpjxKNMV0I

If any one remembers 1979. This song and "We Are Family" were the songs for the Pirates.

X-Terminator
07-31-2013, 04:58 PM
Team asked about Trumbo from LA. Couldn't get anything there. And it's no secret the Pirates wanted Stanton but Miami refused to move him.

The latter has been confirmed by Rob Biertempfel of the Trib. NH said he made an offer that made him uncomfortable, was willing to do something stupid but not insane. OK, well then if he did all of that to try to acquire Stanton and it was still rejected, I'll cut him some slack. At least he didn't give up.

Chidi29
07-31-2013, 04:59 PM
The latter has been confirmed by Rob Biertempfel of the Trib. NH said he made an offer that made him uncomfortable, was willing to do something stupid but not insane. OK, well then if he did all of that to try to acquire Stanton and it was still rejected, I'll cut him some slack. At least he didn't give up.

There were far less trades this year than year's previous. Tough to make a move.

vader29
07-31-2013, 05:34 PM

tube517
07-31-2013, 06:30 PM
http://youtu.be/dmpjxKNMV0I

If any one remembers 1979. This song and "We Are Family" were the songs for the Pirates.

I remember it well.....Sister Sledge singing from the stands,if I remember correctly. And the cover of Pops and Bradshaw on SI.