PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp 2013: Steelers nose tackle keeps on his toes

vader29
07-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Steve McLendon, who officially gained 40 pounds Monday, might not squeeze into a tutu, no matter the size. At 320 pounds, it would not be a pretty sight, either.

Yet, he has those dance moves down, even if he does not wear the costume. Ballet may be a non-contact sport, and there are no 340-pound offensive linemen to engage, but "it's harder than anything else I do," McLendon proclaimed.

McLendon began taking a ballet class his senior year at Troy University in Alabama to pick up what he thought might be a few easy credits. There was nothing easy about it for the biggest and only male dancer in a class of about a dozen. But his instructor kept telling him it would help him in football, and he discovered she was correct.

He has been taking lessons, on and off, ever since, pirouetting to the Adrenaline Barre Fitness studio on Mount Washington as often as twice a week. His instructor the past four years has been Stephanie Kibler.

"I work him harder than the majority of women will ever work in a ballet setting," Kibler said. "He does it well. He might have sweat dripping off him and looking at me like I'm crazy, but he does it. He really works hard. It's almost like he's mastering the craft of ballet. He's not in there just for football."

McLendon cut back on his lessons last season but says he wants to renew them soon. When not in the dance studio, he could still be found practicing his moves.

"I still do some of the same things, the Plié, walking barefoot on your toes," McLendon explained. "I just walk barefoot doing the lateral."

Not only did he find it helps his dexterity in the middle of the defensive line, but it wards off injuries.

"It keeps you injury free, your ankles, keeps your feet strong, your toes strong, you get away from knee injuries," McLendon said. "I can tell when I don't do it in my body."

Said instructor Kibler: "What's good about what he does, it's not just for the grace and control, but it helps strengthen areas that may be open to injury. We are strengthening those areas that tend to be a little weaker. He steps it up."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-nose-tackle-keeps-on-his-toes-697369/#ixzz2aY5DlKV3

Devilsdancefloor
07-30-2013, 02:07 PM
He has a great attitude i hope he sticks around until he retires

tube517
07-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Lynn Swann took ballet and it helped him.....just sayin' :chuckle:

fansince'76
07-30-2013, 08:37 PM
http://mllecaramelcake.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/hippo2.jpg?w=560

:lol:

salamander
07-30-2013, 10:12 PM
It's about time they updated his weight. He was listed at like 280 for the longest time. :lol:

Seven
07-30-2013, 11:01 PM
It's about time they updated his weight. He was listed at like 280 for the longest time. :lol:

Yeah. I remember people around here trying to say he was actually 280 a while back; insisting that he was too small because that's what he was listed at when it was clear he weighed much more. This was, of course, before everyone fell in love with him last TC.