PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Running game lacks depth

Galax Steeler
08-06-2010, 03:11 AM
The Steelers say they want to run the ball more effectively in 2010, and some of them say they have emphasized it more through the first week of training camp. The commitment is there, they promise, to improve their ground game over what it was last season.

They talk a good running game, but where's the beef?

Rashard Mendenhall, their top draft pick in 2008, broke through last season to rush for 1,108 yards and a 4.6-yard average per carry. All their eggs are in his basket and, if something happens to him like the broken shoulder that ruined his rookie season, their running game could be grounded.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10218/1078026-66.stm#ixzz0voMnP3Yp

SMR
08-06-2010, 05:40 AM
The Steelers say they want to run the ball more effectively in 2010, and some of them say they have emphasized it more through the first week of training camp. The commitment is there, they promise, to improve their ground game over what it was last season.

They talk a good running game, but where's the beef?

Rashard Mendenhall, their top draft pick in 2008, broke through last season to rush for 1,108 yards and a 4.6-yard average per carry. All their eggs are in his basket and, if something happens to him like the broken shoulder that ruined his rookie season, their running game could be grounded.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10218/1078026-66.stm#ixzz0voMnP3Yp

Oh gosh, the season hasn't even started yet and the media is already throwing around their gloom-and-doom darts. :nono:

BuddhaBus
08-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Hmmmmm... Dwyer, Redman, Moore, Logan, Summers, Wright and Vincent. My God... whatever shall we do? :uhoh: :jerkit: I love that we're being underestimated.

SteelerFanInStl
08-06-2010, 08:09 AM
We're certainly lacking experience outside of Mendy and MeMo but I'm not really sure that matters. There are other teams that are counting on a rookie to come in and be their starter (SD). The current injuries are a little worrisome but that happens every year in training camp.

salamander
08-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Just keep piling on the doubt. They'll see.

:tt03:

vrabinec
08-06-2010, 08:55 AM
There's nothing wrong with the running backs we have. It's what's in front of them that deserves the gloom and doom.

SteelerSal
08-06-2010, 09:05 AM
There's nothing wrong with the running backs we have. It's what's in front of them that deserves the gloom and doom.

I agree 100% with that plus I'd like to add poor gameplanning and second half adjustments are the problem also.
How many times last season did Mendy have a killer first half only to not have any touches and disapear in the second.

atlsteelers
08-06-2010, 01:04 PM
i would like to see dwyer actually practice...standing on the sidelines with a bum hamstring does not help one make the team...

Psycho Ward 86
08-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Hmmmmm... Dwyer, Redman, Moore, Logan, Summers, Wright and Vincent. My God... whatever shall we do? :uhoh: :jerkit: I love that we're being underestimated.

It's about quality, not quantity. Quality is something we dont have a whole lot of yet in the RB corp. Moore IS NOT a proven runner. When he filled in for Parker in '08 he had the blessing of starting against a bunch of crappy run defenses (except for the giants, but he sucked that game too other than one play). Dwyer is just an immense pile of potential at this point.

Mendenhall is the only "sure deal" on the entire team.

How many times last season did Mendy have a killer first half only to not have any touches and disapear in the second.

The vikings game is the best example! Why on earth would you stop feeding the beast when he's averaging 6.9 yards per carry against the NFL's best run defense (at the time)?

Chidi29
08-06-2010, 06:08 PM
....Or maybe we don't actually have good depth on the team.

I wonder if Lions fans play the "Underdog" card as well...

Steeldude
08-06-2010, 06:14 PM
the OL makes the running game go.