PDA

View Full Version : "Fast" Willie Parker is a Steeler Again!

Craic
07-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Only this time, he's a coaching intern. (http://profootballzone.com/nfl/willie-parker-is-at-steelers-training-camp-working-as-a-coaching-intern/)

I have a feeling I just about caused at least one heart attack. :chuckle:

ALLD
07-27-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't know about this. He was a one trick pony and he left on not the best terms. Being an intern he might be working for free. Rooney's are cutting him a break if you ask me, but they are fair and classy so what else would you expect.

Dwinsgames
07-27-2013, 10:08 PM
I don't know about this. He was a one trick pony and he left on not the best terms. Being an intern he might be working for free. Rooney's are cutting him a break if you ask me, but they are fair and classy so what else would you expect.

I might be mistaken but I think all internships are without pay in the NFL

http://footballjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobs.cfm/Internships?supcat=321

Hindes204
07-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Ugh

zulater
07-27-2013, 10:28 PM
I never understood all the Parker hate amongst Steeler fans? He was a pretty good back for a few years there.

ALLD
07-27-2013, 10:57 PM
His peak was the TD on the first play in the second half of SB XL.

Craic
07-27-2013, 11:01 PM
I never understood all the Parker hate amongst Steeler fans? He was a pretty good back for a few years there.

I still argue that it's primarily trhee issues: (1) he wasn't Jerome Bettis, (2) he wasn't Jerome Bettis in his running style, (3) he wasn't Jerome Bettis.

Psycho Ward 86
07-27-2013, 11:02 PM
cool! cant wait for him to teach leveon bell to keep trying to juke defenders that are way too fast for him :)

Chidi29
07-27-2013, 11:18 PM

We have a lot of former players as scouting/coaching interns in camp. Been doing that a lot the past few years and a couple remain with the team (Mark Bruener, Chidi Iwuoma). Guys like Hokie, Aaron Smith, Oliver Ross, Rod Woodson, and Parker are here.

oneforthetoe
07-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Now does he get credit if one of the running backs makes a long run? Or do the long runs still not count? It's all so confusing.

Chidi29
07-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Now does he get credit if one of the running backs makes a long run? Or do the long runs still not count? It's all so confusing.

HAHAHA!

TomlinSteelTribe
07-28-2013, 01:36 AM
I liked Fast Willie, but he never seemed to have good vision finding the hole (ha, have fun with that innuendo). Nothing special catching the ball either. Track star in pads is my take. He had some pretty legit lines to run behind, also. But I guess that doesn't necessarily preclude him from giving valuable advice.

He deserves a lot of credit for coming in and holding his own when Duce and Bus were in the shop, especially as an undrafted guy.

86WARD
07-28-2013, 06:19 AM
For an un-drafted player...he was great...third best rusher in Steelers History? Can't hate on him for that...plus he stepped up in Super Bowl XL with a pretty nice run.

Better than Mendenhall...lol.

Godfather
07-28-2013, 12:39 PM
FWP was a very good player. It's just that if you're a speed back, a broken leg is a career ender.

Heinz Hitman
07-28-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm glad to see him back with the black n' gold. All this time he has been away from the game he has never stopped rooting for the Steelers and showing support. He was a very good back for us for a few years, and would have been more popular if he wasn't following what some may say was the best Steelers RB of all time. Hope he helps some of these young backs out with some good advice.

stillers4me
07-28-2013, 05:31 PM
FWP was a very good player. It's just that if you're a speed back, a broken leg is a career ender.

Yep. If I remember correctly, he was the league's leading rusher when he snapped that leg. I'm with Zu and Preacher. Don't get the hate other than he wasn't Jerome Bettis. I love me some Fast Willie!

And we haven't found another Bettis yet, either. Probably never will.

jb500ex
07-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Yeah he was the leading rusher after two guys ahead of him got hurt

fansince'76
07-28-2013, 06:31 PM
:rolleyes:

Tommy8Gun
07-28-2013, 06:40 PM
I still argue that it's primarily trhee issues: (1) he wasn't Jerome Bettis, (2) he wasn't Jerome Bettis in his running style, (3) he wasn't Jerome Bettis.

He also didn't get to run behind the offensive line that Jerome Bettis did. Parker received a lot of flack for his poor performances. I disagree with some of it. If a RB doesn't have an o-line to run behind, forget it, there is no chance of being consistent. I don't care that he wasn't Jerome. He was fast and once he got to the outside, Parker was gone in the blink of an eye.

TomlinSteelTribe
07-28-2013, 07:17 PM
He also didn't get to run behind the offensive line that Jerome Bettis did. Parker received a lot of flack for his poor performances. I disagree with some of it. If a RB doesn't have an o-line to run behind, forget it, there is no chance of being consistent. I don't care that he wasn't Jerome. He was fast and once he got to the outside, Parker was gone in the blink of an eye.

Hartings, Faneca, Marvel Smith: those are 3 quality run-blocking OL

steelreserve
07-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Only this time, he's a coaching intern. (http://profootballzone.com/nfl/willie-parker-is-at-steelers-training-camp-working-as-a-coaching-intern/)

I have a feeling I just about caused at least one heart attack. :chuckle:

Well I guess after Mendenhall left, we needed someone to mentor our young RBs on how to dance around in the backfield and go down when someone gets a pinkie on you.

Although one move that Mendenhall didn't have until much later was the awkward-sideways-stop-and-crumple. With an expert like Parker, our backs ought to pick that up right away.

I didn't have a heart attack btw, but when I saw this I did get so angry that I ran outside and broke some kid's nose.

fansince'76
07-28-2013, 09:01 PM
I didn't have a heart attack btw, but when I saw this I did get so angry that I ran outside and broke some kid's nose.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Psycho Ward 86
07-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Well I guess after Mendenhall left, we needed someone to mentor our young RBs on how to dance around in the backfield and go down when someone gets a pinkie on you.

Although one move that Mendenhall didn't have until much later was the awkward-sideways-stop-and-crumple. With an expert like Parker, our backs ought to pick that up right away.

This. Is. Beautiful.

7SteelGal43
07-28-2013, 09:47 PM

BINGO

Craic
07-29-2013, 03:06 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I got a good chuckle out of that as well. And to be honest, SR has been a really good sport with all teasing and ribbing he's taken over the years about that. :thumbsup:

Seven
07-30-2013, 10:33 PM
I'd give up Bell, Redman, Dwyer, Stephens-Howling and Batch to have a 24 year old Willie Parker again. He'll always get it bad from a large group of fans, but at one point in time he was one of the better backs in the league. Thankfully there are at least some who can get over the fact that he didn't run like Bettis.

Craic
07-31-2013, 02:32 PM
I'd give up Bell, Redman, Dwyer, Stephens-Howling and Batch to have a 24 year old Willie Parker again. He'll always get it bad from a large group of fans, but at one point in time he was one of the better backs in the league. Thankfully there are at least some who can get over the fact that he didn't run like Bettis.

True, then again, I'd give up all of them plus Willie P. to have a 24 year old Jerome Bettis again!

Dwinsgames
07-31-2013, 04:50 PM
True, then again, I'd give up all of them plus Willie P. to have a 24 year old Jerome Bettis again!

I would give them all up for a 24 year old Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier , longevity of Franco with far less injuries than Bettis

Craic
08-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I would give them all up for a 24 year old Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier , longevity of Franco with far less injuries than Bettis

I think that the injury issue has a lot more to do with the era played and a lot less to do with the person playing. I know, less rules back in the day, but that also meant that no one was running free. On top of that, they weren't 12 month athletes like a lot of the players were even when Jerome was playing, so the speed and level of impact on weekly basis was quite a bit lower overall.

Of course, Franco would also run out of bounds to save his body.

Tommy8Gun
08-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Hartings, Faneca, Marvel Smith: those are 3 quality run-blocking OL

Parker's worst seasons were 2008 and 2009. In '08, the Steelers' offense was ranked 20th in points and 22nd in yards. The offensive line yielded 49 sacks, 46 of which were taken by Ben. I don't care who the running back or quarterback are, when your o-line can't run block or pass protect, the offense will be inefficient. I don't blame Parker for poor production in those years, it was a large part the fact the offensive line sucked.