PDA

View Full Version : Markus Wheaton just wants to make the team

stillers4me
07-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Markus Wheaton just wants to make the team … yes, he did say that.

That sounds a little bit of unconventional thinking knowing that the Steelers used a third-round pick on the speedy and rugged wide receiver out of Oregon State to ease the pain of losing Mike Wallace to free agency during the offseason, but that’s where Wheaton’s mentality is heading into his first NFL practice Saturday that includes more than fellow rookies.

“Making the team is the first goal. I am going to have to do that first,” Wheaton said when he arrived at St. Vincent College for training camp on Friday.

Wheaton hasn’t been around the Steelers since being drafted in late April other than a brief two-day rookie camp in early May. Wheaton wasn’t permitted to attend any OTAs or minicamps because of the quarter system that’s used at Oregon State................

read more @ http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/07/27/markus-wheaton-just-wants-to-make-the-team/

Psycho Ward 86
07-27-2013, 11:44 AM
somewhere out there Sanders is shitting his pants

Dwinsgames
07-27-2013, 12:01 PM
sounds like his priorities are in order ... make the team then worry about how much playing time you do or do not get

steelreserve
07-27-2013, 01:02 PM
somewhere out there Sanders is shitting his pants

Yeah, I heard he has pretty bad diarrhea. Let's hope it's not an ongoing thing.

ALLD
07-27-2013, 02:50 PM
“I couldn’t even tell you (about being compared to Ward and Wallace) because I have never played in this league before,” Wheaton said. “I guess we will see.”

Wheaton, who caught 91 passes for 1,244 yards and 11 touchdowns as a senior last year, has speed to burn even though he ran a disappointing 4.45 40-yard dash at the Combine in February, but says he can, and has, ran a 4.3 before.

He is right in that he needs to make the team first. doesn't matter how fast or tall you are, you need to catch the ball or you might as well be wearing #14.