PDA

View Full Version : Roster Predictions

Chidi29
07-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Will update throughout camp because it will surely change. My initial thoughts.

*UPDATED 8/13*

In yesterday’s training camp preview, we looked at training camp battles and a brief study of how the team has assembled its roster the last few seasons. Today, I’ll begin my attempts to determine what the roster will look like come Week One. We’ll update throughout training camp and note the changes made along the way. My guesses predictions of the year with notes to follow.

QB (3): Ben Roethlisberger, Bruce Gradkowski, Landry Jones

RB (4): Le’Veon Bell, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Baron Batch

FB (1): Will Johnson

TE (4): Heath Miller, David Paulson, David Johnson, Michael Palmer

WR (4): Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Markus Wheaton, Jerricho Cotchery

OT (3): Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, Guy Whimper

OG (5): Ramon Foster, David DeCastro, Kelvin Beachum, John Malecki, Chris Hubbard

C (1): Maurkice Pouncey

DE (4): Ziggy Hood, Brett Keisel, Cameron Heyward, Al Woods

NT (2): Steve McClendon, Alameda Ta’amu

OLB (4): Jason Worilds, Jarvis Jones, LaMarr Woodley, Adrian Robinson

ILB (4): Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, Vince Williams, Brian Rolle

CB (6): Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, William Gay, Josh Victorian, Curtis Brown, Isaiah Green

SS (2): Troy Polalmalu, Robert Golden

FS (2): Ryan Clark, Shamarko Thomas, Da'mon Cromartie-Smith

K (1): Shaun Suisham

P (1): Brian Moorman

LS (1): Greg Warren

Return to Play: Matt Spaeth

Practice Squad:

RB: Alvester Alexander
WR: Justin Brown, Reggie Dunn
OL: Joe Long
DE: Nick Williams
ILB: Kion Wilson
OLB: Alan Baxter
CB: Terry Hawthorne

Notable players left off: Jonathan Dwyer, Chris Carter, Stevenson Sylvester, Curtis Brown, Drew Butler

- I expect Dwyer to be cut. Redman is the more dominant short-yardage back and equally as apt in pass protection. Dwyer is sluggish and able to get only what is blocked. Even if he is a better runner than Baron Batch, Batch provides more special teams value.

- The team won’t keep four tight ends if Miller is healthy. But my gut says he won’t be ready for the start of the year. And of course, if he gets put on the PUP, it opens up another roster spot.

- Burress is penciled in as the #5 right now. Would not call his job secure but haven’t seen enough of the incoming group (Brown, Dunn, etc) to have one of them leapfrog Burress. Subject to change.

- The back end of the offensive line is tough to predict. Beachum is the only real lock as a backup. Everything else is up for grabs and that group is mostly comprised of rookies. Would not be shocked to see one of them grab a roster spot a la Doug Legursky or Ramon Foster. Embernate is that guy right now but it’s wide open (Joe Long, Mike Golic Jr others). Whimper struggled mightily last year but he is a veteran that can play both tackle spots. Good to have when you’re throwing a guy onto the field because of an injury.

- Linebacker may have been the most difficult to fill out. Depth is not something to be excited about. Sylvester wasn’t even tendered before the team brought him back, now at OLB. Chris Carter has been a bust to this point and has shown nothing to change that notion. I’m assuming Sean Spence will end up on IR or at best, the PUP. Could see lots of moving and shaking here.

- Left rookies Justin Brown and Nick Williams off the roster. Good bet they end up on the practice squad, especially the raw Williams.

Dwinsgames
07-25-2013, 06:15 PM
as I said here before Whimpy gets a lot of flack but his skill set lends well to the scheme , he is a flexable tackle with quick feet and agility ... he has always been part of a power O scheme the change in philosophy may be a career changer for him .....

as a side note he could just continue to suck too we will have to see

Chidi29
07-25-2013, 06:25 PM
as I said here before Whimpy gets a lot of flack but his skill set lends well to the scheme , he is a flexable tackle with quick feet and agility ... he has always been part of a power O scheme the change in philosophy may be a career changer for him .....

as a side note he could just continue to suck too we will have to see

Whimpey is pretty much sitting there by default. No other veteran backup lineman, everyone else are UDFAs or still relatively young kids. Maybe Joe Long or Mike Farrell makes noise in camp and pushes Whimpey aside. I just haven't seen enough of them yet. Plus, as bad as Whimpey may be, it's nice to have a veteran tackle who you can throw onto the field at a moment's notice because of an injury.

Dwinsgames
07-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Whimpey is pretty much sitting there by default. No other veteran backup lineman, everyone else are UDFAs or still relatively young kids. Maybe Joe Long or Mike Farrell makes noise in camp and pushes Whimpey aside. I just haven't seen enough of them yet. Plus, as bad as Whimpey may be, it's nice to have a veteran tackle who you can throw onto the field at a moment's notice because of an injury.

you get no argument from me , but I am holding out a little hope that Wimpy can prosper in the ZBS , if he cant his time in the league is ticking

Chidi29
07-25-2013, 06:30 PM
You're making me call him "Wimpey" without me even realizing it!! :chuckles:

Seven
07-25-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm surprised you think Batch makes the team on special teams value alone. The rest I pretty much agree with. I'm excited to see what Brian Rolle can do in the 34. I think he might surprise some people.

Chidi29
07-25-2013, 11:26 PM
I'm surprised you think Batch makes the team on special teams value alone. The rest I pretty much agree with. I'm excited to see what Brian Rolle can do in the 34. I think he might surprise some people.

If Bell becomes the workhorse the team is hoping he is, there's no need to keep three pure runners like that. And Howling can be used in a pinch at RB like he was last year. So it boils down to what else you can do for the team. Can you contribute on special teams? Be an up back on punts, maybe? Mundy had that job last year. He's gone. Gunner? L3, R4 on kickoffs? Little things that give you a distinct advantage.

Of course, I realize Batch is certainly no lock.

Chidi29
07-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Did some quick research the other day. How many of each position the Steelers have kept on the roster the last three seasons. Little bit of a guide when trying to pick their minds of who they will keep/cut.

QB:
2012: 3
2011: 3
2010: 4

RB:
2012: 5
2011: 4

FB:
2012: 1
2011: 0
2010: 0

TE:
2010: 3

WR:
2012: 4
2011: 6
2010: 6

OT:

G/C:
2011: 5

DE:

NT:
2010: 2

OLB:

ILB:
2010: 5

CB:
2011: 6
2010: 6

S:

K:
2011: 1
2010: 1

P:

LS:

Psycho Ward 86
07-27-2013, 02:00 PM
FB:
2011: 0
2010: 0

lol

Anyways, heres how i see it:

RB (4): Le’Veon Bell, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Johnathan Dwyer

TE (3): Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, David Johnson

WR (5): Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Markus Wheaton, Jerricho Cotchery, Plaxico Burress

OT (3): Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, Joe Long

OG (5): Ramon Foster, David DeCastro, Kelvin Beachum, John Malecki, Nik Embernate

NT (3): Steve McClendon, Alameda Ta’amu, Hebron Fangupo

OLB (5): Jason Worilds, Jarvis Jones, LaMarr Woodley, Adrian Robinson, Chris Carter

CB (5): Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, William Gay, Terry Hawthorne, DeMarcus Van Dyke

FS (2): Ryan Clark, Shamarko Thomas

P (1): Drew Butler

-Got a couple of eyebrow raisers i suppose. I dont think this is going to be a year with any horribly difficult or heartbreaking decisions as far as who makes the roster or not. When's the last time we carried 3 pure nose tackles? Probably eons of time. But i think we'll use the relatively easy roster-sculpting this year to carry 3. And i dont think it will be because of a lack of confidence in Mclendon, but a lack of confidence in Taamu's behavior and playing ability. So i predict Fangupo makes it. Hoke said before that he was a great pickup by the steelers, hopefully that isnt just BYU bias. And perhaps it means Hoke has watched him a lot before so he'll have a good understanding of his capabilities (Hoke is interning for us).

-Im struggling with Dwyer over Batch, but i just dont think Batch has done enough in this league to warrant a roster spot. Way too injury prone, hasnt done jack as an actual running back or receiver, and for those who value his blocking, Dwyer and Redman were ranked the top 2 pass blocking RB's in the league by pro football focus last season. Plus now we have Leveon Bell who is a 3-down back. I realize Dwyer, Redman, and Bell are seen as having similiar running styles, but for the sake of how much better the RB's are than Batch, i think he's a goner. And i dont think we'll miss his 4 special teams tackles much either.

-Moorman is an ex-probowler. Emphasis on ex. I think Butler will improve.

-I think Chris Carter vs. Robinson will be just as fierce as Jarvis Jones vs. Worilds, ending with all of them making the roster + Woodley. Having 5 OLB's is nothing new for us.

-I believe John Malecki can play guard AND center, based on last year's preseason? I suppose he's our downgrade backup at center from Legursky.

-For the life of me, i just cant see 4 tight ends on the roster. Especially when our fullback/H-back is actually a converted college tight end. This is off my assumption that Heath will be ready to go within the 1st 3 weeks of the season.

TomlinSteelTribe
07-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Both of your rosters look solid to me. I agree with Psycho Ward that we'll keep 7 total DL this season. Neither of you have Curtis Brown making the team, which I found to be the most interesting exclusion. I think the guy makes it, maybe even pushes Gay out of some packages, although I doubt Brown is as good on the nickel blitz. I believe it's a contract year for Curtis. One good season (at least) in Black and Gold would be nice to see.

If Tomlin views Redman or Bell as a viable back-up to Howling on 3rd downs, it could spell the end for Baron Batch. It's a shame what happened to him a few years ago but unless he shows some improvement from last season, I don't see him making the cut.

Doesn't a #4/#5 WR usually need to contribute on special teams? That could prove to be an interesting detail in WR battle. Although, and maybe it's a pipe dream, I think Plax could fill Heath's role as the big target early in the year (I'm assuming Heath starts the year on the PUP), which would assure him a spot.

Think I read something about them trying Beachum out at center for back-up purposes. Maybe they'll continue that experiment at camp. Dunno.

I'll put up my roster guess after I see the night practice (cheap, I know). Usually head up to Latrobe to see family and a Steelers practice each Aug., but this will be my first night practice. Psyched for it!

Chidi29
07-27-2013, 09:43 PM
lol

Anyways, heres how i see it:

RB (4): Le’Veon Bell, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Johnathan Dwyer

WR (5): Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Markus Wheaton, Jerricho Cotchery, Plaxico Burress

OT (3): Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, Joe Long

OG (5): Ramon Foster, David DeCastro, Kelvin Beachum, John Malecki, Nik Embernate

OLB (5): Jason Worilds, Jarvis Jones, LaMarr Woodley, Adrian Robinson, Chris Carter

CB (5): Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, William Gay, Terry Hawthorne, DeMarcus Van Dyke

-Got a couple of eyebrow raisers i suppose. I dont think this is going to be a year with any horribly difficult or heartbreaking decisions as far as who makes the roster or not. When's the last time we carried 3 pure nose tackles? Probably eons of time. But i think we'll use the relatively easy roster-sculpting this year to carry 3. And i dont think it will be because of a lack of confidence in Mclendon, but a lack of confidence in Taamu's behavior and playing ability. So i predict Fangupo makes it. Hoke said before that he was a great pickup by the steelers, hopefully that isnt just BYU bias. And perhaps it means Hoke has watched him a lot before so he'll have a good understanding of his capabilities (Hoke is interning for us).

-Im struggling with Dwyer over Batch, but i just dont think Batch has done enough in this league to warrant a roster spot. Way too injury prone, hasnt done jack as an actual running back or receiver, and for those who value his blocking, Dwyer and Redman were ranked the top 2 pass blocking RB's in the league by pro football focus last season. Plus now we have Leveon Bell who is a 3-down back. I realize Dwyer, Redman, and Bell are seen as having similiar running styles, but for the sake of how much better the RB's are than Batch, i think he's a goner. And i dont think we'll miss his 4 special teams tackles much either.

-Moorman is an ex-probowler. Emphasis on ex. I think Butler will improve.

-I think Chris Carter vs. Robinson will be just as fierce as Jarvis Jones vs. Worilds, ending with all of them making the roster + Woodley. Having 5 OLB's is nothing new for us.

-I believe John Malecki can play guard AND center, based on last year's preseason? I suppose he's our downgrade backup at center from Legursky.

-For the life of me, i just cant see 4 tight ends on the roster. Especially when our fullback/H-back is actually a converted college tight end. This is off my assumption that Heath will be ready to go within the 1st 3 weeks of the season.

I agree that I don't see any gut wrenching decisions. The players that were tough to see leave went in the offseason. I really can't even think of a veteran that could get the ax in a shocking move (Keisel, maybe??). All pretty unlikely.

I dunno, I'll have to see what Fangupo can do and even Ta'amu for that matter. There shouldn't be any guarantees for him with what he's done through one year. But I don't put him on there for the sake of putting him on there. He's still gotta earn it. Al Woods took reps as the 2nd team NT in the spring and today (granted, Ta'amu is out) but he can be the backup/#3 NT while having the versatility to play end.

Like I said, I know Dwyer is a more talented runner but doesn't cut it on special teams. Batch does. Redman is excellent in pass protection. Bell is supposed to be too, or at least further along than most rookie backs. Howling can fill that role. Why add another? If Bell wins the job and becomes the workhorse, how often is Dwyer going to see the field? I don't know how serious we really were about trading Dwyer but the reports were out there. And not to get into an argument that's already going on in another thread, if the team had a lot of confidence in Redman and Dwyer, Bell would not have been taken. So obviously, the coaching staff recognizes there's a problem that goes beyond the easy answer of saying "Oh, the o-line sucked".

We'll just wait and see on the punter situation. It'll be close. And also some are thinking Luke Ingram can beat out Warren for LS duties. So some fun ST battles to check out.

Good point on the Carter/Robinson battle. Both guys fighting to keep their roster spots. I just think about how uninspiring Carter has been so far. And he has four tackles in two years...

Yes, Malecki can play both. He's literally a cutout of Legursky. Lot of guys getting work at multiple spots, basically all the interior guys learn how to play all three. Kaboly said Mike Golic Jr was working at center after practice today. Like SteelTribe said, Beachum is getting reps there. Versatility is huge for Tomlin because he prefers to dress just 7 lineman on gameday. But at this point, being versatile is not unique, it's a requirement. Why a low talent guy like Legursky stuck so long, we didn't have another versatile guy like him on the team. So it does also come down to talent level to an extent now. And Malecki is pretty borderline. So we'll see (I know I have him on there too, just don't know anything about guys like Farrell, Golic, Cheadle in the NFL to jump him yet).

Eh, Johnson really didn't line up on the LOS much last year. Couple times but rare. If Miller is healthy, then yes, only three. If he lands on the PUP (I don't see it being a three week inactive as an option like you do) then we'll keep three and figure it out after Week 6.

Chidi29
07-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Both of your rosters look solid to me. I agree with Psycho Ward that we'll keep 7 total DL this season. Neither of you have Curtis Brown making the team, which I found to be the most interesting exclusion. I think the guy makes it, maybe even pushes Gay out of some packages, although I doubt Brown is as good on the nickel blitz. I believe it's a contract year for Curtis. One good season (at least) in Black and Gold would be nice to see.

If Tomlin views Redman or Bell as a viable back-up to Howling on 3rd downs, it could spell the end for Baron Batch. It's a shame what happened to him a few years ago but unless he shows some improvement from last season, I don't see him making the cut.

Doesn't a #4/#5 WR usually need to contribute on special teams? That could prove to be an interesting detail in WR battle. Although, and maybe it's a pipe dream, I think Plax could fill Heath's role as the big target early in the year (I'm assuming Heath starts the year on the PUP), which would assure him a spot.

Think I read something about them trying Beachum out at center for back-up purposes. Maybe they'll continue that experiment at camp. Dunno.

I'll put up my roster guess after I see the night practice (cheap, I know). Usually head up to Latrobe to see family and a Steelers practice each Aug., but this will be my first night practice. Psyched for it!

Yeah, keeping 7 is very possible and the trend the last two years though they carried six in 2010.

Brown is interesting and he's of course in the mix. Victorian is no great corner either and they may battle out for the final CB spot (or maybe they both get cut, who knows? Very fluid). And it's worth pointing out Brown was a starting gunner. Can't forget about things like that. But he looked so lost on defense to the point where Victorian jumped him. If you're active, you're always running the risk of having to get put on the field. You carry five corners on gameday and you lose one, you're forcing the #5 out there in dime.

We did deal with injuries last year but it got so bad we were using a Big Nickel at points with Golden as the #3. Shows lack of trust in Brown and for good reason. Contract year doesn't do a whole lot for me. All the back end guys know what is at risk if they don't do well in camp. They're getting the pink slip. They all have incentive to fight as hard as they can.

Like I said, Batch's special teams value puts him in that last spot. He has more value there than Dwyer.

Yes, you tend to see a #4/5 receiver have value on STs. But I really didn't see that last year, so there are exceptions. Obviously Burress is not going to be showing up on the punt coverage unit and he was still signed last year.

Yup, yup, expect Beachum to get reps at center. Not sure if he'll be the #2, though that is wide open right now, but he'll be available to use if we ever need it. If Trai Essex can do it, so can Beachum.

Side note: I'll be at camp on the 16th watching practice if anyone is going.

TomlinSteelTribe
07-28-2013, 01:52 AM
Yeah, keeping 7 is very possible and the trend the last two years though they carried six in 2010.

Brown is interesting and he's of course in the mix. Victorian is no great corner either and they may battle out for the final CB spot (or maybe they both get cut, who knows? Very fluid). And it's worth pointing out Brown was a starting gunner. Can't forget about things like that. But he looked so lost on defense to the point where Victorian jumped him. If you're active, you're always running the risk of having to get put on the field. You carry five corners on gameday and you lose one, you're forcing the #5 out there in dime.

We did deal with injuries last year but it got so bad we were using a Big Nickel at points with Golden as the #3. Shows lack of trust in Brown and for good reason. Contract year doesn't do a whole lot for me. All the back end guys know what is at risk if they don't do well in camp. They're getting the pink slip. They all have incentive to fight as hard as they can.

Like I said, Batch's special teams value puts him in that last spot. He has more value there than Dwyer.

Yes, you tend to see a #4/5 receiver have value on STs. But I really didn't see that last year, so there are exceptions. Obviously Burress is not going to be showing up on the punt coverage unit and he was still signed last year.

Yup, yup, expect Beachum to get reps at center. Not sure if he'll be the #2, though that is wide open right now, but he'll be available to use if we ever need it. If Trai Essex can do it, so can Beachum.

Side note: I'll be at camp on the 16th watching practice if anyone is going.

Good point about Batch's ST value. That had slipped my mind. Still though, he is a RB and he looked pretty bad running the ball.

I really don't have much reason to think the light will turn on for Curtis Brown this season except my gut (and there was that 'training w/Purple Jesus' article a few months ago, haha). Kind of amazing how strong the CB position is after the loss of someone like Keenan Lewis.

Chidi29
07-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Good point about Batch's ST value. That had slipped my mind. Still though, he is a RB and he looked pretty bad running the ball.

I really don't have much reason to think the light will turn on for Curtis Brown this season except my gut (and there was that 'training w/Purple Jesus' article a few months ago, haha). Kind of amazing how strong the CB position is after the loss of someone like Keenan Lewis.

Oh no question, Dwyer is the better runner. And that's coming from me, someone who doesn't think very highly of Dwyer. But if Bell wins the job and becomes the workhorse, Redman is backing him up, and Howling is mixed in on 3rd downs (Bell and Redman can be 3rd down backs too), where does that leave Dwyer? What's his role? Warm body on gameday in case someone gets hurt? That could happen, but you're wasting a spot each week if it doesn't. With Batch, you can run him out on special teams. And he's your emergency back who can still carry the ball if you really need to.

Chidi29
07-28-2013, 02:14 AM
Oh and Psycho, forgot to talk about having Joe Long on the team. I'm sure he has a little more upside than Whimper but I'm nervous about a young buck like that as the #3 tackle. I'm sure he's getting worked at both sides here but he made all 49 of his starts at left tackle at Wayne St. So he's really used to playing on the left side.

- - - Updated - - -

The first three are solid. And ten years ago, that was all you needed. But with teams spreading you out so much, I'd feel a little better having a reliable #4. But hey, tough to do working that far down the depth chart, I suppose.

TheRuneMeister
07-28-2013, 06:39 AM
I would be surprised if they only kept 5 CBs. I think Brown will make the roster. I don't think they will keep 4 TEs unless the health situation forces it. Otherwise I agree with chidis prediction.
That being said, everything looks really good...except the LBs. I am not even worried about the depth, I am worried about the starters. Everything else looks really really good.

Nadroj 20
07-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Hey Chidi, what is the reasoning behind 3 NT? I'm just wondering if another spot would be more valuable to pick up an extra special teamer that way we can keep Dwyer instead of Batch. Not a knock on Batch but Dwyer has his abilites as well like pass protection and is more valuable at RB should Bell or Redman go down.

Chidi29
07-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Hey Chidi, what is the reasoning behind 3 NT? I'm just wondering if another spot would be more valuable to pick up an extra special teamer that way we can keep Dwyer instead of Batch. Not a knock on Batch but Dwyer has his abilites as well like pass protection and is more valuable at RB should Bell or Redman go down.

Well I didn't put 3 NTs on my roster so I can't speak for those that did. Probably the reason the team has done it in the past is in case of injury. I don't think the #3 was ever active on gameday (could be wrong though) but would obviously become the #2 the next week if there was a long-term injury.

Though it isn't really always with NTs so this kinda kills my point, but DL play special teams too. Heyward was part of the "wedge" on kick returns last year.

- - - Updated - - -

I would be surprised if they only kept 5 CBs. I think Brown will make the roster. I don't think they will keep 4 TEs unless the health situation forces it. Otherwise I agree with chidis prediction.
That being said, everything looks really good...except the LBs. I am not even worried about the depth, I am worried about the starters. Everything else looks really really good.

I have 6 CBs on the roster and Brown still off of it. But DVD and Victorian are no locks. I wouldn't even consider Hawthorne to be a lock either though he's likely to make it.

zulater
07-28-2013, 01:29 PM
I'd rather they cut B. Batch and keep on extra O-lineman this year.

Chidi29
07-28-2013, 01:31 PM
I'd rather they cut B. Batch and keep on extra O-lineman this year.

Don't see the point in keeping 10 OL, when you're going to dress seven on gameday. Plus, the backup lineman are all unproven. It's hard to figure out who is worthy of making the team.

zulater
07-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Don't see the point in keeping 10 OL, when you're going to dress seven on gameday. Plus, the backup lineman are all unproven. It's hard to figure out who is worthy of making the team.

That's the point, I'd rather keep an unknown commodity that might have an NFL future if given a chance to develop than to keep a known quantity that sucks. Sorry folks, but Barron Batch has no NFL game.

Chidi29
07-28-2013, 01:46 PM
That's the point, I'd rather keep an unknown commodity that might have an NFL future if given a chance to develop than to keep a known quantity that sucks. Sorry folks, but Barron Batch has no NFL game.

We can still keep 1-2 guys that look good in camp so we'll have some youngster waiting in the wings. It's not in our MO to keep 10. Nine the last three seasons.

Chidi29
07-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Quickly looked up what draft picks didn't make it out of camp their rookie year, going back to the start of Tomlin's career. Don't count players that were hurt. Ones that were straight cut (even if they ended up on the PS). Hopefully this is all accurate.

2012:
7th rounder: Toney Clemons
7th rounder: Terrance Frederick

2011:
6th rounder: Keith Williams

2010:
7th rounder: Doug Worthington

2009:
6th rounder: Sunny Harris
7th rounder: AQ Shipley

2008:
None

2007:
5th rounder: Cameron Stephenson
7th rounder: Dallas Baker

So eight in six years. In three seasons, two didn't make it. Only in 2008 did they all make it (Mike Humpal was injured and put on IR). Highest draft pick not to make it is 5th rounder Cameron Stephenson. But he is the only 5th rounder not to make the team in Tomlin's era.. Fred Gibson, a 4th rounder, was cut two years earlier by Cowher.

Heinz Hitman
07-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Ok, I'll take a shot at it:

RB (3): Le’Veon Bell, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling

TE (4): Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, David Paulson

OT (4): Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, Joe Long, Guy Whimper

OG (4): Ramon Foster, David DeCastro, Kelvin Beachum, John Malecki

ILB (4): Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, Vince Williams, Marshall McFadden

CB (6): Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, William Gay, Terry Hawthorne, DeMarcus Van Dyke, Curtis Brown

I went with three RBs so I could go with 3 DTs. I really like Fangupo and evidently the Steelers must like T'amu or his ass would've been cut after his little incident. I figure they might think that they could pick up a guy off the street for RB if we get any injuries there and they could perform about as well as Batch or consistently as Dwyer.

I went with Curtis Brown over Victorian mostly just to be a little different. They both were very underwhelming last season. I guess maybe I think Brown has 1/2 an ounce more talent? Which isn't saying much.

I took McFadden over Rolle at ILB because it seemed to me that they kind of liked him last year.

I am thinking Vince Williams is going to be the new ILB project now that they seem to have given up on Sylvester. I was really rooting for him, it's too bad he didn't pan out.

It's a little disheartening. Usually I am pumped up a little after going over our potential roster, but just not feeling it this year. I feel we are very mediocre at several positions. Hope I'm wrong...

Chidi29
07-28-2013, 06:23 PM
I can dig it HH. No Dwyer or Batch is interesting though. The team has carried 4-5 RBs the last three years so we'll see if they buck the curve.

What do you like about Fangupo? When did you watch him? Seattle? BYU?

They do like Ta'amu I'm sure and were willing to give him a second chance presumably because his record was clean before his arrest. I still think having Woods on the roster basically gives you a #3 NT so you don't have to carry a true third.

Brown could make it, you're right. DVD, Victorian, Brown are all on alert. Jobs are not safe. But like we've seen with former draft picks like Burnett and Crezdon Butler, once they get close to the ax, they flame out.

I went with Rolle on a whim. He has more NFL experience but it's an open battle.

I'm a little concerned with depth at ILB and along the line. Kinda tough to figure out who is going to win there. No great options.

Nadroj 20
07-28-2013, 06:42 PM
I could have sworn you originally had 3 NT. My bad.

Anyway I'd rather keep a guy somewhere else and cut batch but keep Dwyer. That's just me.

Dwinsgames
07-28-2013, 06:45 PM

RB (4): Le’Veon Bell, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Dwyer

WR (5): Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Markus Wheaton, , Plaxico Burress , Reggie Dunn

OT (5): Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, Guy Whimper , Mike Golic Jr , Joe Long

NT (2): Steve McClendon , Hebron Fangupo

ILB (4): Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, Vince Williams, Chris Carter ( move to inside )

CB (6): Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, William Gay, Terry Hawthorne, DeMarcus Van Dyke, Josh Victorian

its early so who knows , only a guess

Chidi29
07-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Ooh, this one is pretty interesting Dwins. Gotta pick your brain about it.

Dunn over Cotchery? Really banking on Burress coming up big because that's a lot of youth at WR with Wheaton/Dunn.

Carrying ten lineman. How'd you come to pick Long and Golic Jr? Just wondering.

You think team is fed up with Ta'amu?

What makes you think Carter will move inside? If they were going to, you think they would have already, no?

Psycho Ward 86
07-28-2013, 07:10 PM
dang, very interesting dwins. Reggie Dunn, no jericho cotchery. Fangupo, but no taamu. And talk about Tackle mania! Hopefully if we do another Stefan Logan experiment its actually successful this time.

TomlinSteelTribe
07-28-2013, 07:12 PM

RB (4): Le’Veon Bell, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Dwyer

WR (5): Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Markus Wheaton, , Plaxico Burress , Reggie Dunn

OT (5): Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, Guy Whimper , Mike Golic Jr , Joe Long

NT (2): Steve McClendon , Hebron Fangupo

ILB (4): Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, Vince Williams, Chris Carter ( move to inside )

CB (6): Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, William Gay, Terry Hawthorne, DeMarcus Van Dyke, Josh Victorian

its early so who knows , only a guess

I'd be surprised if Paulson didn't make it at TE. Guy was seeing the field some as a rookie. Might mean only 1 spot between Will Johnson and David Johnson.

Chidi29
07-28-2013, 07:24 PM
dang, very interesting dwins. Reggie Dunn, no jericho cotchery. Fangupo, but no taamu. And talk about Tackle mania! Hopefully if we do another Stefan Logan experiment its actually successful this time.

I still can't see Dunn making the team as a pure return man. He can make it, but he'll have to show versatility. Wear many hats.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be surprised if Paulson didn't make it at TE. Guy was seeing the field some as a rookie. Might mean only 1 spot between Will Johnson and David Johnson.

If that's the case, it's probably going to Will. Since he is the closest thing to a true FB that we have and Spaeth is a good blocker just like David Johnson so you don't have to keep around two of those guys. Plus, Johnson obviously coming off Torn ACL. Have to see where he's at.

Dwinsgames
07-28-2013, 07:43 PM
David Johnson offers pos. flexibility I know it is cliche but its been a common theme in the Tomlin era he can wear 2 hats ... Backup TE and Backup FB ..Paulson does not offer that plus he is a liability in terms to blocking and has not shown much in terms as a pass catcher either ...that is why I left Paulson off my list ...

Fangupo over Taamu .... Taamu has had his problems , now he is nursing a bad hammy meanwhile Fangupo ( whom I rated as Taamu's equal in their draft status's ) is getting time to work and Chris Hoke is a big fan of Fangupo meaning he will no doubt spend more time with him than most of the others and what a guy to learn from first hand ... I think the work will pay dividends while Taamu sits and watches

Dunn over Cotchery ... my logic is this ... Dunn is a difference maker in field pos, Cotchery is ageing and is not the most durable guy , sure he is a wiley vet but his best days are behind him besides he seen only limited action last year anyways may as well give the young guy a shot ...

I also think Dunn could be used as a situational WR and create mismatch problems with the Bubble screens we so like to run the kid in space can make things happen with his speed and cutback ability

the tackles ... abundance for good reason ... Adams coming off being stabbed and a season he could not stay healthy through ... Gilbert 2 year pro coming into this year was on and off the field every third play it seemed as a rookie and last year again was not able to stay healthy and if you are looking for those two to be your starters you better have depth in abundance because pulling guys off the street in December to fill your roster is never a good thing ..I think Golic has C and G ability so the cliche pos flexability may land him a spot , Long started like 46 consecutive games at LT he is durable and has a pedigree word is he is a hard worker and I do not think the game will be to big for him even if he has to make the switch to the right side

Carter move to inside is nothing more than a hunch , he has the size to play it and I think he has more talent than he has been able to show on the outside where to me he was overwhelmed but he plays the run pretty well and we need another player inside that knows the system ... probably won't happen as I said just a hunch

Chidi29
07-28-2013, 08:39 PM
David Johnson offers pos. flexibility I know it is cliche but its been a common theme in the Tomlin era he can wear 2 hats ... Backup TE and Backup FB ..Paulson does not offer that plus he is a liability in terms to blocking and has not shown much in terms as a pass catcher either ...that is why I left Paulson off my list ...

Fangupo over Taamu .... Taamu has had his problems , now he is nursing a bad hammy meanwhile Fangupo ( whom I rated as Taamu's equal in their draft status's ) is getting time to work and Chris Hoke is a big fan of Fangupo meaning he will no doubt spend more time with him than most of the others and what a guy to learn from first hand ... I think the work will pay dividends while Taamu sits and watches

Dunn over Cotchery ... my logic is this ... Dunn is a difference maker in field pos, Cotchery is ageing and is not the most durable guy , sure he is a wiley vet but his best days are behind him besides he seen only limited action last year anyways may as well give the young guy a shot ...

I also think Dunn could be used as a situational WR and create mismatch problems with the Bubble screens we so like to run the kid in space can make things happen with his speed and cutback ability

the tackles ... abundance for good reason ... Adams coming off being stabbed and a season he could not stay healthy through ... Gilbert 2 year pro coming into this year was on and off the field every third play it seemed as a rookie and last year again was not able to stay healthy and if you are looking for those two to be your starters you better have depth in abundance because pulling guys off the street in December to fill your roster is never a good thing ..I think Golic has C and G ability so the cliche pos flexability may land him a spot , Long started like 46 consecutive games at LT he is durable and has a pedigree word is he is a hard worker and I do not think the game will be to big for him even if he has to make the switch to the right side

Carter move to inside is nothing more than a hunch , he has the size to play it and I think he has more talent than he has been able to show on the outside where to me he was overwhelmed but he plays the run pretty well and we need another player inside that knows the system ... probably won't happen as I said just a hunch

I know it was reported Johnson is moving back to TE this year but I don't know if that means he won't see much of an H-Back role or just what grouping he'll be working out with. Have to wait and see, I guess. I've always been a big DJ fan though so I hope he stays.

We'll just have to see what Fangupo can do. Hoke might be able to teach some but he's still just an intern. He doesn't have a whole lot of say.

Dunn was a difference maker in college. We don't know what exactly will translate to this level. I know it won't be four touchdowns on ten returns. And he's going to have to do more than be just a return man. Still, I can't see Cotchery getting cut. That's putting two rookies as your #3/4/5 (depending on depth chart) receivers. Uncomfortable with that.

I see your point about them not staying healthy but that won't do us much good on gameday when we're only dressing seven. We should be able to stash Long or Golic on the PS and cal them up if need be so I don't see the need for ten.

If Carter was going to be moved, it would have happened by now.

Dwinsgames
07-28-2013, 08:47 PM
I know it was reported Johnson is moving back to TE this year but I don't know if that means he won't see much of an H-Back role or just what grouping he'll be working out with. Have to wait and see, I guess. I've always been a big DJ fan though so I hope he stays.

We'll just have to see what Fangupo can do. Hoke might be able to teach some but he's still just an intern. He doesn't have a whole lot of say.

Dunn was a difference maker in college. We don't know what exactly will translate to this level. I know it won't be four touchdowns on ten returns. And he's going to have to do more than be just a return man. Still, I can't see Cotchery getting cut. That's putting two rookies as your #3/4/5 (depending on depth chart) receivers. Uncomfortable with that.

I see your point about them not staying healthy but that won't do us much good on gameday when we're only dressing seven. We should be able to stash Long or Golic on the PS and cal them up if need be so I don't see the need for ten.

If Carter was going to be moved, it would have happened by now.

we will have to see it is all so very subjective at this point being just a few days into camp , things will be a whole lot clearer after a couple preseason games as that is where most jobs are won and lost

Chidi29
07-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Definitely!

KeiselPower99
07-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Ill try my hand at this.

QB(3) Ben Roethlisberger Bruce Gradkowski Landry Jones
RB(4) Issac Redman LeVon Bell LaRod Stephens-Howling Baron Batch
FB(1) Will Johnson
WR(5) Antonio Brown Emmanuel Sanders Jerricho Cotchery Markus Wheaton Plaxico Burress
TE(4) Matt Spaeth David Paulson David Johnson Heath Miller
T(3) Marcus Gilbert Mike Adams Joe Long
G(5) David DeCastro Ramon Foster Kelvin Beachum Nik Embernate Joe Malecki
C(1) Maurkice Pouncey
DE(4) Brett Keisel Ziggy Hood Cam Heyward Al Woods
NT(2) Steve McClendon Hebron Fangupo
OLB(4) LaMarr Woodley Jason Worilds Jarvis Jones Adrian Robinson
ILB(5) Lawrence Timmons Larry Foote Marshall McFadden Vince Williams Stevenson Slyvester
CB(5) Ike Taylor Cortez Allen William Gay Curtis Brown Terry Hawthorne
FS(2) Ryan Clark Shamarko Thomas
SS(2) Troy Polamalu Robert Golden
K(1) Shawn Suisham
P(1) Drew Butler
LS(1) Luke Ingram

I have Batch over Dwyer due to special teams play.
4 Tight Ends until the feel comfortable with Heath being back at which point Id expect Johnson to be cut or mystery injury to the IR. I have Long Embernate and Malecki making the roster and Whimper not. I feel that Beachum is the 3rd tackle and guard and that allows us to leave Long a guy that the team likes to make it. As for Embernate he was a priority UDFA and could be the next Foster only meaner. No TaAmu I think he is back on the practice squad. At Linebacker I kept 9 as Sylvester is working both inside and outside and should breakthrough in camp. McFadden will be the top backup inside. At Cornerback I really wanted to keep Victorian over Brown and Hawthorne but dont see them letting either one of them go yet. And Greg Warren will be replace at Long Snapper by rookie from Hawaii Luke Ingram. Nick Williams could beat out Al Woods for the 4th De spot. Williams JD Woods Joe Madsen Damon Cromartie Smith and Reggie Dunn should end up on the practice squad

Chidi29
07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Ill try my hand at this.

QB(3) Ben Roethlisberger Bruce Gradkowski Landry Jones
RB(4) Issac Redman LeVon Bell LaRod Stephens-Howling Baron Batch
FB(1) Will Johnson
WR(5) Antonio Brown Emmanuel Sanders Jerricho Cotchery Markus Wheaton Plaxico Burress
TE(4) Matt Spaeth David Paulson David Johnson Heath Miller
T(3) Marcus Gilbert Mike Adams Joe Long
G(5) David DeCastro Ramon Foster Kelvin Beachum Nik Embernate Joe Malecki
C(1) Maurkice Pouncey
DE(4) Brett Keisel Ziggy Hood Cam Heyward Al Woods
NT(2) Steve McClendon Hebron Fangupo
OLB(4) LaMarr Woodley Jason Worilds Jarvis Jones Adrian Robinson
ILB(5) Lawrence Timmons Larry Foote Marshall McFadden Vince Williams Stevenson Slyvester
CB(5) Ike Taylor Cortez Allen William Gay Curtis Brown Terry Hawthorne
FS(2) Ryan Clark Shamarko Thomas
SS(2) Troy Polamalu Robert Golden
K(1) Shawn Suisham
P(1) Drew Butler
LS(1) Luke Ingram

I have Batch over Dwyer due to special teams play.
4 Tight Ends until the feel comfortable with Heath being back at which point Id expect Johnson to be cut or mystery injury to the IR. I have Long Embernate and Malecki making the roster and Whimper not. I feel that Beachum is the 3rd tackle and guard and that allows us to leave Long a guy that the team likes to make it. As for Embernate he was a priority UDFA and could be the next Foster only meaner. No TaAmu I think he is back on the practice squad. At Linebacker I kept 9 as Sylvester is working both inside and outside and should breakthrough in camp. McFadden will be the top backup inside. At Cornerback I really wanted to keep Victorian over Brown and Hawthorne but dont see them letting either one of them go yet. And Greg Warren will be replace at Long Snapper by rookie from Hawaii Luke Ingram. Nick Williams could beat out Al Woods for the 4th De spot. Williams JD Woods Joe Madsen Damon Cromartie Smith and Reggie Dunn should end up on the practice squad

I think Beachum is becoming a better version of Trai Essex. Has he played LT before though? I know he's getting reps there in camp but did he do it in the preseason last year? One caveat for Embernate. Have to see how he fits in the ZBS. I haven't watched him too closely but just taking a look at a highlight video (something I rarely do, for the record and didn't focus on his ability in it) he was constantly pulling. Tons of Power O trapping as the backside guard. Not going to see as much of that this year though I can't imagine they'll get rid of the play completely because of how good it's been.

I knew Brown was a gunner last year and an important piece on STs, but I forgot he had 17 tackles last year. So that bodes well for his value though I still have to see him make strides defensively.

Like you going with Ingram. Little out of the box but totally possible. Nice!

I think Nick Williams ends up on the PS this year. Sounds really raw. One year of starting experience, I think? Woods should keep his job.

KeiselPower99
07-30-2013, 03:21 PM
If I remember correctly Beachum did play Lt in a preseason game after Adams left. Im thinking it was the first game last year.

Chidi29
07-30-2013, 03:26 PM
If I remember correctly Beachum did play Lt in a preseason game after Adams left. Im thinking it was the first game last year.

Good call Keisel. Checked my notes and he was in at LT in the first and second preseason game. Maybe the last two but I don't have any notes from those. So there is some experience.

one side only
07-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Can't see them keeping 4 tight ends. Miller will start the year on the PUP. I think John Rabe has a good chance to make the team; they must have signed him because David Johnson isn't 100% and they want an H-Back type player to back up Will Johnson and the two other tight ends. If Rabe turns out to be camp fodder, I think the Steelers sign a TE cut from another team. I also think they will keep 6 wide receivers and only 3 halfbacks, Bell, Redman and Stephens-Howling. Curtis McNeal makes the Practice Squad. Dwyer and Redman share a similar skill set, and Redman is just a bit better. Whimper gets the nod at tackle if the competition is fairly even, just because he has a bit of a pedigree including a Super Bowl ring and Long can be put on the Practice Squad. Dunn could be that 6th WR, if only as a return specialist. He may be better at catching balls kicked to him than thrown to him. The coaching staff would love to see him perform well as both a kick and punt returner to keep Brown and Stephens-Howling from having to perform those duties. I'm not convinced Sylvester has a spot locked up; getting reps at OLB doesn't mean anything. Brian Rolle may be a surprise survivor. I'm also fairly certain a CB that is not in Latrobe currently makes the roster. Perhaps safety as well.

KeiselPower99
07-30-2013, 06:51 PM
David Johnson is on the PUP list so signing another TE for depth was a good move. I think he is the TE out though. Dunn has not looked good in practice other than on special teams. I added Slyvester just because I thought he was taking reps at both LB spots and should be something.

Chidi29
07-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Can't see them keeping 4 tight ends. Miller will start the year on the PUP. I think John Rabe has a good chance to make the team; they must have signed him because David Johnson isn't 100% and they want an H-Back type player to back up Will Johnson and the two other tight ends. If Rabe turns out to be camp fodder, I think the Steelers sign a TE cut from another team. I also think they will keep 6 wide receivers and only 3 halfbacks, Bell, Redman and Stephens-Howling. Curtis McNeal makes the Practice Squad. Dwyer and Redman share a similar skill set, and Redman is just a bit better. Whimper gets the nod at tackle if the competition is fairly even, just because he has a bit of a pedigree including a Super Bowl ring and Long can be put on the Practice Squad. Dunn could be that 6th WR, if only as a return specialist. He may be better at catching balls kicked to him than thrown to him. The coaching staff would love to see him perform well as both a kick and punt returner to keep Brown and Stephens-Howling from having to perform those duties. I'm not convinced Sylvester has a spot locked up; getting reps at OLB doesn't mean anything. Brian Rolle may be a surprise survivor. I'm also fairly certain a CB that is not in Latrobe currently makes the roster. Perhaps safety as well.

Yeah, I kinda hedged it at TE. If Miller is good to go Week One, we wont keep four. And if he isn't around, he'll go to the PUP. So we're keeping three. What do you now about Rabe?

I don't remember off the top of my head, but we usually don't grab too many players from other teams. Who was the last one that we put on the 53 after camp cuts? Tuff Harris, maybe? Usually stick with your guys because you've seen them every single day.

Don't see us using a pure return specialist again after Logan didn't really work out.

KeiselPower99
07-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Just saw that Johnson had surgery last Friday on his knee. If we do keep 4 he wont be one of them.

Chidi29
07-31-2013, 09:04 PM
Just saw that Johnson had surgery last Friday on his knee. If we do keep 4 he wont be one of them.

Maybe, maybe not. It's a two week procedure. Probably a cleanup of scar tissue or something. I know he said the other day that he expected to be ready for the start of the season.

Count Steeler
07-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Maybe, maybe not. It's a two week procedure. Probably a cleanup of scar tissue or something. I know he said the other day that he expected to be ready for the start of the season.

But that is tough to do, missing 2 weeks at this time, especially coming off an injury that kept him out last season. Then again, it is not like we are overflowing with depth at TE.

Chidi29
07-31-2013, 09:16 PM
But that is tough to do, missing 2 weeks at this time, especially coming off an injury that kept him out last season. Then again, it is not like we are overflowing with depth at TE.

True, but at least he'll get to play in probably two preseason games. And if Heath is out, then Johnson makes the squad. If Heath is healthy, then yes, it does get interesting and Johnson is no lock. Paulson more athletic and Spaeth just as good of a blocker. Extra reps these guys are getting are important.

KeiselPower99
08-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Seems Nik Embernate might have tore his knee up today.

Chidi29
08-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Seems Nik Embernate might have tore his knee up today.

Yes, did not sound good,

Count Steeler
08-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Was he wearing knee braces?

Chidi29
08-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Was he wearing knee braces?

Yes. Someone else just posted a tweet that Tomlin is requiring all offensive lineman to wear braces on both knees. But for proof Embernate was wearing them, from the other day.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/photo-gallery/Steelers-Training-Camp---Day-4/41b1c665-5632-4bc9-a649-fd7dee5ae88e#921e0ff3-fff8-4a6c-b01b-c6cbf1970980

Count Steeler
08-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Yes. Someone else just posted a tweet that Tomlin is requiring all offensive lineman to wear braces on both knees. But for proof Embernate was wearing them, from the other day.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/photo-gallery/Steelers-Training-Camp---Day-4/41b1c665-5632-4bc9-a649-fd7dee5ae88e#921e0ff3-fff8-4a6c-b01b-c6cbf1970980

Yeah, I posted that tweet, but I was just wondering if Nik was wearing them at the time. Damn, I hate this string of injuries on our O line. Just can't seem to have a consistent line for a season. I know he is a rookie and probably may only be practice squad this year, but damn.

Chidi29
08-01-2013, 08:15 PM
If it is IR, at least he can use this year as a redshirt and hopefully come back strong next year.

OL depth looks really bleak though outside of Beachum. Hope somebody shines through the four games.

Dwinsgames
08-01-2013, 08:20 PM
word is Embernate out for the year with a knee injury so its bad .... waiting for confirmation

Steelers | Jason Worilds injured (http://kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=863665-steelers-jason-worilds-injured)Thu, 01 Aug 2013 17:27:10 -0700Pittsburgh Steelers (http://kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) LB Jason Worilds (http://kffl.com/player/22339/nfl/jason-worilds) (toe) suffered a toe injury during practice Thursday, Aug. 1, but head coach Mike Tomlin (http://kffl.com/player/11361/nfl/mike-tomlin) said he expects Worilds to be fine.
Comment (http://kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=863665-steelers-jason-worilds-injured) | Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review - Mark Kaboly (https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/363058031715553280) | Share: http://s3.amazonaws.com/kffl/images/site-headers/facebook.png (http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=863665-steelers-jason-worilds-injured)
Steelers | LaMarr Woodley limited (http://kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=863664-steelers-lamarr-woodley-limited)Thu, 01 Aug 2013 17:25:29 -0700Pittsburgh Steelers (http://kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) LB LaMarr Woodley (http://kffl.com/player/13459/nfl/lamarr-woodley) (calf) was limited during practice Thursday, Aug. 1, because of calf discomfort.
Comment (http://kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=863664-steelers-lamarr-woodley-limited) | Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review - Mark Kaboly (https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/363053329963696129) | Share: http://s3.amazonaws.com/kffl/images/site-headers/facebook.png (http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=863664-steelers-lamarr-woodley-limited)
Steelers | Nik Embernate carted off (http://kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=863663-steelers-nik-embernate-carted-off)Thu, 01 Aug 2013 17:21:48 -0700Pittsburgh Steelers (http://kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) OG Nik Embernate (http://kffl.com/player/28091/nfl/nik-embernate) (knee) was carted off the field Thursday, Aug. 1, after suffering a knee injury during practice.
Comment (http://kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=863663-steelers-nik-embernate-carted-off) | Source: Pittsburgh Tribun (https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib)

Read more: http://kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2alpIk4Wu

polamalubeast
08-11-2013, 05:46 PM

Chidi29
08-11-2013, 06:15 PM

?

polamalubeast
08-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Does your roster predictions has changed after the game against the Giants?

Chidi29
08-11-2013, 06:27 PM

Oh yeah, they will. Changed before with all the injuries. Once I go through and rewatch the game, I'll update them.

Chidi29
08-13-2013, 12:30 PM

Roster updated. Added a practice squad, too.

NJarhead
08-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Roster updated. Added a practice squad, too.

What prompted the Moorman over Butler decision?

Chidi29
08-13-2013, 01:02 PM
What prompted the Moorman over Butler decision?

Been like that from the first list. Butler struggled down the stretch. Butler does have a better leg but Moorman gets excellent hangtime on his punts. To have one at 5.4 Saturday is crazy.

NJarhead
08-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Been like that from the first list. Butler struggled down the stretch. Butler does have a better leg but Moorman gets excellent hangtime on his punts. To have one at 5.4 Saturday is crazy.

Yea, that's nuts.

I'm still going to be pulling for the younger guy though. We shall see!

Chidi29
08-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Edited one more time. Forgot to have Nick Williams on my PS.

Chidi29
08-23-2013, 10:24 PM

RB (5): Le’Veon Bell, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Jonathan Dwyer, Felix Jones,

TE (4): Heath Miller, David Paulson, David Johnson, Michael Palmer

OT (3): Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, D'Anthony Batiste

OG (5): Ramon Foster, David DeCastro, Kelvin Beachum, John Malecki, Chris Hubbard

NT (2): Steve McClendon, Hebron Fangupo

OLB (4): Jason Worilds, Jarvis Jones, LaMarr Woodley, Chris Carter

ILB (4): Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, Marshall McFadden, Brian Rolle

CB (5): Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, William Gay, Josh Victorian, Curtis Brown

FS (3): Ryan Clark, Shamarko Thomas, Da'mon Cromartie-Smith

Practice Squad:

WR: Justin Brown, Derek Moye
DE: Nick Williams, Brian Arnfelt
ILB: Vince Williams
OLB: Alan Baxter
CB: Terry Hawthorne, Isaiah Green

- - - Updated - - -

Side note: I am physically ill trying to figure out who the backup lineman should be.

mark0933
08-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Hate to break it to you Chidi but you got one too many players listed...you have 3 safeties.

tube517
08-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Hate to break it to you Chidi but you got one too many players listed...you have 3 safeties.

Expect a fine letter in the mail Chidi :chuckle:

Chidi29
08-24-2013, 11:49 AM

NOOO!!!

I am above the law!

- - - Updated - - -

Fixed.

And also meant to put Drew Butler over Moorman. Moorman can pull off some really impressive hangtimes but Butler has been solid too and has a much better leg.

Count Steeler
08-24-2013, 12:05 PM
NOOO!!!

I am above the law!

- - - Updated - - -

Fixed.

And also meant to put Drew Butler over Moorman. Moorman can pull off some really impressive hangtimes but Butler has been solid too and has a much better leg.

Hate to break it to ya, you have 3 FS listed and only allocated 2 to the position.

FS (2): Ryan Clark, Shamarko Thomas, Da'mon Cromartie-Smith

I would guess Da'mon is the odd man out?

Chidi29
08-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Nah, I was just stupid and didn't change the number. DCS stays. Isaiah Green to the PS and going with the semi-bold prediction of getting rid of Ta'amu altogether.

Dwinsgames
08-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Nah, I was just stupid and didn't change the number. DCS stays. Isaiah Green to the PS and going with the semi-bold prediction of getting rid of Ta'amu altogether.

welcome to the bandwagon of Fangupo

Chidi29
08-24-2013, 06:29 PM
welcome to the bandwagon of Fangupo

Less of the bandwagon (mission trip?) as it is reading the tea leaves of him getting reps over Ta'amu.

KeiselPower99
08-24-2013, 10:25 PM
I know DCS has been here for awhile but Ventrone is a guy I like and might make it. I really hope we add some linemen because Batiste and Hubbard are not the answer. I also like the 4 receivers as we will need spots for Bell and Miller. Sucks that we have to carry 2 guys at the beginning of the season with injuries

Chidi29
08-24-2013, 10:28 PM
I know DCS has been here for awhile but Ventrone is a guy I like and might make it. I really hope we add some linemen because Batiste and Hubbard are not the answer. I also like the 4 receivers as we will need spots for Bell and Miller. Sucks that we have to carry 2 guys at the beginning of the season with injuries

Meh, Ventone missed a big chunk of the first half of camp. He's pretty behind the eight ball. DCS is fairly established.

Yeah, the backup OL is a total mess. Batiste didn't even play tonight after working as the 2nd team RT last week. He could be in the first wave of cuts though I'm guessing he stays and at least plays the 4th game.

Shoes
08-24-2013, 10:30 PM
I really like Moye. I hope we can hang on to this kid.

Dwinsgames
08-24-2013, 10:41 PM
I would give my update but can't seem to find any O-Lineman I really want to keep ..... the best of the bunch has not looked good what does that say for the rest of them ??

Chidi29
08-24-2013, 11:51 PM
I caved. Batch out, Dwyer in.

Shoes
08-24-2013, 11:54 PM

I still like my idea of a 2 for one deal. :chuckle:

crcsnail
08-25-2013, 03:41 AM
Just watched the game . I gotta say I liked moye . Thought he had good hands and showed some nice moves after the catch. Hope we can keep him . If he is put on practice squad can other teams get him?

Dwinsgames
08-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Just watched the game . I gotta say I liked moye . Thought he had good hands and showed some nice moves after the catch. Hope we can keep him . If he is put on practice squad can other teams get him?

Yes to the bold , any teams members of a Practice squad can be pilfered by any other team provided the team stealing them away put them on their active roster ..

KeiselPower99
08-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Cant the player refuse though? I roughly remember last year when Dixon was on the Ravens PS we wanted to sign him but he refused and stayed.

Dwinsgames
08-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Cant the player refuse though? I roughly remember last year when Dixon was on the Ravens PS we wanted to sign him but he refused and stayed.

yes they can refuse , however you have to keep in mind he had LIMITED Practice squad eligibility left ... he was active in a number of games and had just a few left before he was no longer PS eligible ... these rookies do not have that concern to take into consideration ... Dixon was milking the proverbial NFL paycheck bottle knowing full well what the Steelers had in terms of QB depth and where he would stand in that process and knew from prior experience with the organization and he was not part of that future

KeiselPower99
08-25-2013, 02:34 PM
That is true.

Psycho Ward 86
08-25-2013, 03:29 PM

http://michiganjournal.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/tumblr_lu419rDeQl1r0w390.jpg

:chuckle:

Chidi29
08-25-2013, 07:33 PM
http://michiganjournal.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/tumblr_lu419rDeQl1r0w390.jpg

:chuckle:

Haha I can't believe it either.

But Batch officially gone. I know they probably wanted to give Felix Jones some early reps so he wasn't playing with the backups but the fact a guy that has been here for 24 hours is running ahead of you pretty much told you all you need to know of how they feel about Batch.

Dwinsgames
08-30-2013, 09:06 AM
My final shot at the final 53

Quarterback: (3) Ben Roethlisberger, Bruce Gradkowski and Landry Jones.

Running back: (5) Bell, Redman ,LSH . Jones and Johnson

WR (5) AB , Sanders, Wheaton , Cotchery , Moye

TE (3) Heath , DJ , Paulson

O-Line (9) Adams, Gilbert , Beachum, Pouncey , Decastro, Foster, Malecki , Golic . Long

D-Line (6) Mclendon , Hood, Keisel , Heyward , Fangupo ,Woods

Linebackers (9) Timmons , Foote, Woodley, Worilds, Jones , Baxter, Carter ,Williams , McFadden

DB's (10 ) Troy , Shark, Clark , Golden, Ike, Tez, Gay, Ventrone ,Victorian , Hawthorn

K/P/LS (3) Suisham , Warren , Butler ..... I would have taken Moorman but they seemingly was using Butler in key situations in the final preseason game and I think that is a sign

I omitted Dwyer ( not that I believe he needs gone ) but I think he gets traded because Jones has worked out pretty well ,,,, Dwyers skill set can be found in the group I have listed to keep and I like Dwyer 1 vs 1 over most of the ones I kept but this is not about what I would do , its about what I think they will do

Nadroj 20
08-30-2013, 10:31 AM
I don't think we will keep only 4 WRs.

NCSteeler
08-30-2013, 10:41 AM
I don't think we will keep only 4 WRs.

I don't know. I think if they wanted to keep 4 and slide Moye onto the PS, they would have kept him off the field more last night. Burress's injury looking like a game changer for Moye.

steel striker
08-30-2013, 02:21 PM
I did not get to see the game last night and, whay did Golic Jr look like?

HollywoodSteel
08-30-2013, 03:23 PM
I did not get to see the game last night and, whay did Golic Jr look like?

Like his dad, but younger and not as talented.

Chidi29
08-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Last crack right before they start making the final cuts.

RB (5): Le’Veon Bell, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Jonathan Dwyer, Felix Jones,

TE (3): Heath Miller, David Paulson, David Johnson

OT (3): Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, Guy Whimper

NT (2): Steve McClendon, Hebron Fangupo

OLB (4): Jason Worilds, Jarvis Jones, LaMarr Woodley, Chris Carter

ILB (5): Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, Marshall McFadden, Brian Rolle, Kion Wilson

CB (5): Ike Taylor, Cortez Allen, William Gay, Curtis Brown, Terry Hawthorne

FS (3): Ryan Clark, Shamarko Thomas, Da'mon Cromartie-Smith

Practice Squad:

WR: Justin Brown, Derek Moye
TE: Nathan Overbay
DE: Nick Williams, Brian Arnfelt
ILB: Vince Williams