PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Braun suspended rest of year

Nadroj 20
07-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Major League Baseball has suspended Milwaukee Brewers slugger Ryan Braun without pay for the remainder of the 2013 season.

Braun will not contest the suspension which was meted out for "violations of the Basic Agreement and its Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program," according to a statement released by MLB.

"As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect," Braun said in the statement. "I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions. This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization.....

READ MORE HERE on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9500252/ryan-braun-milwaukee-brewers-suspended-remainder-2013-season)

polamalubeast
07-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Deserves lifetime ban....

X-Terminator
07-22-2013, 07:58 PM
A liar and a fraud.

Looks good on ya, Bug Eyes. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Nadroj 20
07-22-2013, 08:16 PM
I was so angry when he said he was proven innocent a few years ago when they didn't follow protocol when dealing with his sample. He was so lucky and got off on a technicality and wanted to try to pass that off as being "innocent".

I'm glad they got him this time and since he didn't fight the suspension he is clearly guilty.

Learn your lesson Ryan and quit juicing.

Chidi29
07-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Easy to be sorry after you got caught.

Lot of unanswered questions though. He didn't fail a test, did he? I know it all stems from the Biogenisis case but how exactly were they certain he was taking something? And how did MLB reach such an arbitrary number like 65? The suspensions are 50, 100, lifetime. And rumors were that baseball is going to try to hit A-Rod with a 150 as part of a "plea bargain". How do they have that power?

X-Terminator
07-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Easy to be sorry after you got caught.

Lot of unanswered questions though. He didn't fail a test, did he? I know it all stems from the Biogenisis case but how exactly were they certain he was taking something? And how did MLB reach such an arbitrary number like 65? The suspensions are 50, 100, lifetime. And rumors were that baseball is going to try to hit A-Rod with a 150 as part of a "plea bargain". How do they have that power?

Both the league and the MLBPA reviewed the evidence that the league had on Biogenesis, and it was pretty overwhelming. Even A-Rod was quoted as saying he couldn't believe how much solid evidence there was. That's why the league has the power to hand down punishments despite Braun not failing a test (a total technicality since the sample he took was "tampered"), because it falls outside of the guidelines for a failed test. The league is basically saying that you don't have to fail a test to prove you were cheating. If they have undeniable proof that you were, you are gone. Why else would Braun not bother to appeal it, and the MLBPA have no objection? As for the length, whether it's 65 games or 100 games, it doesn't matter. Braun has been exposed as a fraud, liar and cheater, and that is plenty.

Chidi29
07-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Just curious, what was the evidence? I'm not trying to be combative, I just honestly don't know what they have against?

And yeah, I know the games aren't the most important thing but still, it undermines the CBA to do this.

zulater
07-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Just curious, what was the evidence? I'm not trying to be combative, I just honestly don't know what they have against?

And yeah, I know the games aren't the most important thing but still, it undermines the CBA to do this.

How? The Union more or less said last week that if the league has the goods on you, you best make the best deal you can. In other words rather than defend the cheaters the Union has finally decided to stand up for the vast majority of players who do it within the rules.

When the Union knowingly defends cheaters it makes it harder for the players who do things the right way to succeed.

X-Terminator
07-22-2013, 10:13 PM

No, actually it doesn't. Because the MLBPA would be all over the league if it did. Instead, they did not object, which is pretty telling since not all that long ago, they went to great lengths to protect the cheaters from scrutiny. What Braun did brought embarrassment to the league and went against the integrity of the game, the very things that earned Pete Rose and "Shoeless" Joe Jackson lifetime bans. So the league is well within its right to suspend in this case.

As for the evidence, I really don't know what they have. But if all parties involved are saying it's rock solid, then I have to believe that it is.

Chidi29
07-22-2013, 10:51 PM
How? The Union more or less said last week that if the league has the goods on you, you best make the best deal you can. In other words rather than defend the cheaters the Union has finally decided to stand up for the vast majority of players who do it within the rules.

When the Union knowingly defends cheaters it makes it harder for the players who do things the right way to succeed.

I get all that and I'm not trying to defend Braun. Not at all. He lied and "apologized" because he got caught. And it was an awful apology anyway that showed little ,if any, accountability. The game he "loves" as he said in his statement. Loved it enough to cheat and take advantage of it.

But at the same time,I don't get how MLB became the Wild West and totally went against its own rules. And I think it sets a scary precedent when you start ignoring the protocol you have in place. It just confuses me, is all.

- - - Updated - - -

No, actually it doesn't. Because the MLBPA would be all over the league if it did. Instead, they did not object, which is pretty telling since not all that long ago, they went to great lengths to protect the cheaters from scrutiny. What Braun did brought embarrassment to the league and went against the integrity of the game, the very things that earned Pete Rose and "Shoeless" Joe Jackson lifetime bans. So the league is well within its right to suspend in this case.

As for the evidence, I really don't know what they have. But if all parties involved are saying it's rock solid, then I have to believe that it is.

Not saying they can't suspend, they certainly can. Just don't get how they came up with the number. To me, it should be 50.

X-Terminator
07-22-2013, 11:49 PM
I get all that and I'm not trying to defend Braun. Not at all. He lied and "apologized" because he got caught. And it was an awful apology anyway that showed little ,if any, accountability. The game he "loves" as he said in his statement. Loved it enough to cheat and take advantage of it.

But at the same time,I don't get how MLB became the Wild West and totally went against its own rules. And I think it sets a scary precedent when you start ignoring the protocol you have in place. It just confuses me, is all.

- - - Updated - - -

Not saying they can't suspend, they certainly can. Just don't get how they came up with the number. To me, it should be 50.

You're too hung up on the protocol regarding testing. It has been well-known for months that the league was going to seek suspensions outside of the general guidelines if they ever got solid proof the players involved were indeed guilty, because again, it falls into the category of compromising the integrity of the game. I'm thinking they were going to suspend Braun for 100 games, which would have carried over into next season, but allowed him to "plea-bargain" down to a season-ending suspension. Besides that, I think if you get up in front of cameras and flat-out lie about your PED use, as Braun did after his case was dismissed in 2011, you deserve to have the book thrown at you.

Nadroj 20
07-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Personally I think he got off too easy. I think just the remainder of the season (they won't make the playoffs) isn't enough. He flat out lied and as I said try to pass the first time off as him being innocent when he only got off on a technicality. That's not innocence Ryan, that is extreme luck. He's gotten away with it for too long and I think he should be suspended for at least 35 games next season to get to the 100 AT LEAST.

Chidi29
07-23-2013, 02:42 PM
You're too hung up on the protocol regarding testing. It has been well-known for months that the league was going to seek suspensions outside of the general guidelines if they ever got solid proof the players involved were indeed guilty, because again, it falls into the category of compromising the integrity of the game. I'm thinking they were going to suspend Braun for 100 games, which would have carried over into next season, but allowed him to "plea-bargain" down to a season-ending suspension. Besides that, I think if you get up in front of cameras and flat-out lie about your PED use, as Braun did after his case was dismissed in 2011, you deserve to have the book thrown at you.

I know it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Braun is a cheat and a liar. But you don't need me or some sportswriter to tell you that. Braun just told the world that. So that's my I'm looking at the other aspects. I still don't get how baseball has the power to "plea bargain" their way to a deal. Suspend him for 50, suspend him for 100, whatever, but don't make the number up. Don't you all hate Goodell for the arbitrary punishments?

Braun for 65, A-Rod for 150 maybe, Nelson Cruz for what? Are we "ranking" how egregious the violations were now? What does Johnny Peralta get? Three games because who really cares? I'm using a little hyperbole on the last one but get my point? It's just strange.

X-Terminator
07-23-2013, 03:27 PM
I know it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Braun is a cheat and a liar. But you don't need me or some sportswriter to tell you that. Braun just told the world that. So that's my I'm looking at the other aspects. I still don't get how baseball has the power to "plea bargain" their way to a deal. Suspend him for 50, suspend him for 100, whatever, but don't make the number up. Don't you all hate Goodell for the arbitrary punishments?

Braun for 65, A-Rod for 150 maybe, Nelson Cruz for what? Are we "ranking" how egregious the violations were now? What does Johnny Peralta get? Three games because who really cares? I'm using a little hyperbole on the last one but get my point? It's just strange.

Did you not read what I said? The league has been after harsher punishments for months! Meaning, they wanted to make sure it was OK with the MLBPA to pursue them. The MLBPA obviously is fine with it. If the MLBPA was not fine with it, they would have challenged it and pushed for Braun to appeal the suspension. A-Rod does not count in this, because given that he's already been suspended for using PED's (I think...he definitely admitted to taking them), he should consider himself lucky if he doesn't get a lifetime ban. Same for Bartolo Colon. If you ask me, they shouldn't have even bothered to offer Braun a plea deal and suspended him for the full 100 games that they likely wanted. Why the hell does he deserve any leniency at all?

I don't get why this is so hard for you to understand. It's different from what Goodell does because the league actively sought the MLBPA's input during this entire process and didn't anoint itself judge, jury and executioner. Not arbitrary in the least. And you can bet your last dollar that there will be more severe punishments in the future for any involvement with PEDs, whether it's a failed test or involvement with companies like Biogenesis.

Chidi29
07-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Did you not read what I said? The league has been after harsher punishments for months! Meaning, they wanted to make sure it was OK with the MLBPA to pursue them. The MLBPA obviously is fine with it. If the MLBPA was not fine with it, they would have challenged it and pushed for Braun to appeal the suspension. A-Rod does not count in this, because given that he's already been suspended for using PED's (I think...he definitely admitted to taking them), he should consider himself lucky if he doesn't get a lifetime ban. Same for Bartolo Colon. If you ask me, they shouldn't have even bothered to offer Braun a plea deal and suspended him for the full 100 games that they likely wanted. Why the hell does he deserve any leniency at all?

I don't get why this is so hard for you to understand. It's different from what Goodell does because the league actively sought the MLBPA's input during this entire process and didn't anoint itself judge, jury and executioner. Not arbitrary in the least. And you can bet your last dollar that there will be more severe punishments in the future for any involvement with PEDs, whether it's a failed test or involvement with companies like Biogenesis.

They still have a CBA to follow. You don't get to bypass that on a whim. Like I said, the precedent is unsettling.

X-Terminator
07-23-2013, 03:52 PM
They still have a CBA to follow. You don't get to bypass that on a whim. Like I said, the precedent is unsettling.

You know, rather than continue to waste my time repeating myself over and over again, I'll simply post the words directly from the mouth of the MLBPA executive director:

Weiner also said the commissioner's office isn't bound by the terms of the joint drug prevention and treatment program -- which calls for 50- and 100-game suspensions and a lifetime ban for three failed drug tests -- because the players involved in the Biogenesis case did not fail tests and are being investigated for "non-analytical" reasons.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9482862/mlbpa-says-players-suspended-biogenesis-investigation-likely-serve-bans-2013

If you don't believe him, then there's nothing more I can do. He said almost exactly what I've been saying from the beginning.

Chidi29
07-23-2013, 03:58 PM
I'd just like to know how they arrived at that number. That's all.

X-Terminator
07-23-2013, 04:03 PM
I'd just like to know how they arrived at that number. That's all.

Because that's how many games were left in the season at the time of his suspension? What you should be asking is why they didn't pursue more games, because Braun certainly earned them.

Chidi29
07-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Because that's how many games were left in the season at the time of his suspension? What you should be asking is why they didn't pursue more games, because Braun certainly earned them.

Well that's troubling if that's their mindset. What happens if someone is caught with 20 games left in the year? Or 150? That's where it gets arbitrary. And it's going to come up a lot considering how awful the MLB testing system is, unable to catch a widespread amount of cheaters (20+).

X-Terminator
07-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Well that's troubling if that's their mindset. What happens if someone is caught with 20 games left in the year? Or 150? That's where it gets arbitrary. And it's going to come up a lot considering how awful the MLB testing system is, unable to catch a widespread amount of cheaters (20+).

I now see your point, and that's why they should have suspended Braun for the full 100 rather than offer him a deal. Hell, he's now eligible to play in next year's All-Star Game, which he would not have been had his suspension carried over. Some punishment.

Chidi29
07-23-2013, 04:49 PM
I now see your point, and that's why they should have suspended Braun for the full 100 rather than offer him a deal. Hell, he's now eligible to play in next year's All-Star Game, which he would not have been had his suspension carried over. Some punishment.

Sorry if I wasn't being clear from the beginning. But even if it technically doesn't follow under a CBA violation that lends itself to a 50/100 suspension, this kind of arbitrary number opens up Pandora's Box. Either there should have been some provision in the CBA (why there wasn't I'll never know, surely MLB did not think their tests were unfailable) or they should have stuck to the 50/100 and suspended him for that long (leaning towards 100, what are the odds Braun appeals anyway if the evidence is so mounting).

The larger issue here is short of a lifetime ban, baseball's punishments are meaningless. Braun loses just a tiny bit of money but will still get his $100 million because contracts are so iron-clad and guaranteed. The Brewers don't have an out and they should. Missing 65 games for a crappy Brewers team means nothing. Losing $100 million and becoming a free agent with a poor reputation kills your career. That'll stop players.