PDA

View Full Version : Maurkice Pouncey: A Rebuttal

Chidi29
07-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Know I've already discussed it a lot on here already but for anyone interested, my take on the whole situation. Rebuttal is from another writer for PSN having a different viewpoint that he wrote about a couple days ago. His follows my link.

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/maurkice-pouncey-a-rebuttal/

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/pouncey-needs-to-correct-off-field-antics/

Dwinsgames
07-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Here is Maurkice Pouncey in 2011 ripping a Steelers fan on twitter, “I’m rich! Play for the steelers and have a awesome life! You wish u had my life!! You’re a loser, Rick!”

somehow I missed this ....

really out of line and a punk move by Pouncey , however I must wonder what provoked him into doing this .... surely it was with some provocation

Chidi29
07-20-2013, 10:58 AM

really out of line and a punk move by Pouncey , however I must wonder what provoked him into doing this .... surely it was with some provocation

Yup not a wise move. But still, very minor stuff from Pouncey. Nothing a typical twenty something hasn't done before.

tube517
07-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Great article Chidi and on point. Training camp will be here soon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

fansince'76
07-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Training camp will be here soon

Six days. Can't come soon enough.

Nadroj 20
07-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Nice article although I still disagree with the premise of it just being a hat. It's not just a hat otherwise he wouldn't have worn it.

But I'm not here to start another debate, we have the other thread for that. I liked the article and agree with many of you points Alex. Keep up the good work.

Texasteel
07-20-2013, 01:32 PM
I was interested in some of the comments after the article . I don't believe he wore the hat for no reason. Putting myself in his shoe's, I think he wore it to show support for a close friend that he couldn't believe would commit such a crime. A bad idea, yes. A decision I would not have made myself, I don't really know. I've done some pretty dumb stuff in my day, particularly at his age. He is still the player that became an all pro his first year, and barring injuries may have been thought of as one of the best centers ever, still may be. Other than loosing his temper on twitter, I don't think he has done much to earn the comments about him that are flying around now. Do I approve of the hat, No. Do I understand what he did, I think so, but my approval or understanding is not that important, except to me. I think this will all blow over given the chance, and we will again be able to count one more great center to the list the Steeler have already started. Thank God, TC is so close, and writers will have something else to write about, and fans will have something else the think about.

tube517
07-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Six days. Can't come soon enough.

Yes sir. I need to sharpen up my pitchfork and blame Arians Haley Tomlin and LeBeau and call for immediate release of all the players.

fansince'76
07-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Yes sir. I need to sharpen up my pitchfork and blame Arians Haley Tomlin and LeBeau and call for immediate release of all the players.

http://www.starshipnivan.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Lynch_mob2-300x225.gif

:chuckle:

Chidi29
07-20-2013, 02:29 PM
I was interested in some of the comments after the article . I don't believe he wore the hat for no reason. Putting myself in his shoe's, I think he wore it to show support for a close friend that he couldn't believe would commit such a crime. A bad idea, yes. A decision I would not have made myself, I don't really know. I've done some pretty dumb stuff in my day, particularly at his age. He is still the player that became an all pro his first year, and barring injuries may have been thought of as one of the best centers ever, still may be. Other than loosing his temper on twitter, I don't think he has done much to earn the comments about him that are flying around now. Do I approve of the hat, No. Do I understand what he did, I think so, but my approval or understanding is not that important, except to me. I think this will all blow over given the chance, and we will again be able to count one more great center to the list the Steeler have already started. Thank God, TC is so close, and writers will have something else to write about, and fans will have something else the think about.

I don't believe he did it for no reason either and agree with your idea of showing support for a friend. And no, I certainly don't approve of the hat either.

But I also don't think it says anything more about Pouncey than just making a really bad decision.

steelreserve
07-20-2013, 07:48 PM

I think what was going on was, this was during the Tebow playoff game, Pouncey was injured and didn't make the trip with the team, and DURING the game he was goofing off on Twitter and promoting some rap album. Then some fans took issue with it and said something like, "You know, since you're on the team, you ought to be paying attention to the game, you slacker," and he responded by basically saying you're a bunch of losers, I'm better than you, you have to get up and go to work tomorrow, have fun at your crappy job, etc., etc. He was definitely goaded into it, but you have to do better than that.

That little episode made me not a huge fan of him as a person, way more so than the stupid hat incident. I mean, it's one thing to accidentally put your foot in your mouth in the media, or have some unpopular political view or something, but that kind of arrogant "I'm better than you" thing makes me go ick.

Funny thing, I was lucky enough to meet Marcus Gilbert once, and he gave the complete opposite impression. Besides being more than happy to sign autographs, when I tried to thank him, he said something like, "No, I ought to be thanking you, I'm super-lucky to be able to play football for a living, and if it wasn't for fans supporting the team, I could be working at a gas station for all I know." So whatever people have to say about his play, I'll always be rooting for him as a down-to-earth guy who really seemed to have things in perspective.

zulater
07-21-2013, 05:36 AM
I don't have time to view the links right now, but I didn't know you could rebut self indulgent stupidity?

fansince'76
07-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Like I've said before, if "Hatgate" is the worst thing this team has to deal with this offseason, I'll take it. Besides this and Adams getting shivved, it's been a (thankfully) pretty quiet offseason.

Count Steeler
07-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Still haven't seen an apology from Mike. Does that show the difference between the Steelers organization and the Dolphins?

Chidi29, I never ACCUSED Pouncey of being in a gang. However, with the reports that have come out, I would certainly explore the possibility and help him get out, IF he was in. Hernandez is a pariah and I would explore any deeper links.

Pouncey is also amassing a resume of insensitivity and inappropriate behavior. This incident on it's own does not merit further discipline, however, one has to keep in mind his other acts in the past.

Nadroj 20
07-21-2013, 08:07 AM
I think what was going on was, this was during the Tebow playoff game, Pouncey was injured and didn't make the trip with the team, and DURING the game he was goofing off on Twitter and promoting some rap album. Then some fans took issue with it and said something like, "You know, since you're on the team, you ought to be paying attention to the game, you slacker," and he responded by basically saying you're a bunch of losers, I'm better than you, you have to get up and go to work tomorrow, have fun at your crappy job, etc., etc. He was definitely goaded into it, but you have to do better than that.

That little episode made me not a huge fan of him as a person, way more so than the stupid hat incident. I mean, it's one thing to accidentally put your foot in your mouth in the media, or have some unpopular political view or something, but that kind of arrogant "I'm better than you" thing makes me go ick.

Funny thing, I was lucky enough to meet Marcus Gilbert once, and he gave the complete opposite impression. Besides being more than happy to sign autographs, when I tried to thank him, he said something like, "No, I ought to be thanking you, I'm super-lucky to be able to play football for a living, and if it wasn't for fans supporting the team, I could be working at a gas station for all I know." So whatever people have to say about his play, I'll always be rooting for him as a down-to-earth guy who really seemed to have things in perspective.

Yeah you have to love the type of guys like Marcus. So humble and appreciative of what they have.

steelreserve
07-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Still haven't seen an apology from Mike. Does that show the difference between the Steelers organization and the Dolphins?

Chidi29, I never ACCUSED Pouncey of being in a gang. However, with the reports that have come out, I would certainly explore the possibility and help him get out, IF he was in. Hernandez is a pariah and I would explore any deeper links.

Pouncey is also amassing a resume of insensitivity and inappropriate behavior. This incident on it's own does not merit further discipline, however, one has to keep in mind his other acts in the past.

Somehow that seems a bit of a stretch. Just being linked to Hernandez isn't any reason to get worried; I mean, of course they're linked to Hernandez, they were on the same football team as him not long ago, but as far as I know, that's it. Unless there's more to it than that, I wouldn't worry. Maybe they'll investigate Tebow for it though, in which case I would get a kick out of that.

tube517
07-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Like I've said before, if "Hatgate" is the worst thing this team has to deal with this offseason, I'll take it. Besides this and Adams getting shivved, it's been a (thankfully) pretty quiet offseason.

Pouncey has hatgate and twittergate and he's a gang banger by association. His contract should be voided. :chuckle:

Chidi29
07-21-2013, 02:37 PM

I still think it's treading thin ice to even make that type of association but you're not specifically the group I was addressing. Because you're right, there's a difference between wondering and accusing and the latter is certainly way too far of a jump to make.