PDA

View Full Version : This is bullcrap if it's true. Dixon's in the doghouse due to bad spring practices?

vrabinec
08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Am I reading this right? Thius would be idiotic. Okay, so maybe he didn't come into the spring practices as prepared as he could. Big deal. I think he gives us the best chance to win those first 4 games. That's what it's ultimately all about, isn't it?

http://pit.scout.com/2/989188.html

stillers4me
08-05-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm not reading that he is in the doghouse. What I read is that Byron looked better in the OTA's so he was given the edge in the battle for the #2 position. Tomlin is not a dummy. If Byron doesn't look so good in preseason and Dixon does, Dixon will get his chance. It doesn't matter to me, as long as the job gets done.

And BTW...welcome to SU, vrabinac!

Wallace108
08-05-2010, 01:38 PM
The question to the scout was a simple one:

Who’s having the best camp?

“I’ll tell you,” he said as he leaned in close. “Dennis Dixon is really jumping off the screen whenever I see him on tape.

Through the first five days of camp he’s put nearly every throw on the money, short or deep, and he’s using touch when he needs it, throws frozen ropes when he needs that.

Even if he doesn't start, that's excellent news in case Lefty struggles early.

vrabinec
08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Even if he doesn't start, that's excellent news in case Lefty struggles early.

Lefty's struggling NOW.

vrabinec
08-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm not reading that he is in the doghouse. What I read is that Byron looked better in the OTA's so he was given the edge in the battle for the #2 position. Tomlin is not a dummy. If Byron doesn't look so good in preseason and Dixon does, Dixon will get his chance. It doesn't matter to me, as long as the job gets done.

And BTW...welcome to SU, vrabinac!

I can see handing Lefty the first team to run with, but they've cut back on Dixon's reps so drastically that I don't know if he'll get a fair shot at winning the job on the field. I just get the sense that he REALLY needs to have some huge games in the preseason in order to even get a shot at it.

Thanks for the welcome. Like I said before, it's nice to see familiar faces and find a board that isn't a morgue.

hotrodder07
08-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I can see handing Lefty the first team to run with, but they've cut back on Dixon's reps so drastically that I don't know if he'll get a fair shot at winning the job on the field. I just get the sense that he REALLY needs to have some huge games in the preseason in order to even get a shot at it.

Thanks for the welcome. Like I said before, it's nice to see familiar faces and find a board that isn't a morgue.

I bet he gets a decent shot in preseason. Probably 40/60 to Byron, and that percentage may improve if he impresses early. I'm just guessing, though.

Wallace108
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Lefty's struggling NOW.

True. But I'm sure Tomlin will start whoever he feels gives us the best chance to win. It'll be interesting to see how Dixon looks in the preseason, but I'm happy to see him progressing.

Steelersfan
08-05-2010, 01:53 PM
vrabinec, if that was you, awesome first day training camp summary. Made me feel like I was there. Thanks for the time and effort you put into it.

I wrote this in thread on another board a few weeks back and I still feel the same way:

Yinz guys that are getting all worked up over the QB situation need to relax. NO ONE knows who the starter will be in place of Ben for the first 4 games, NO ONE. I know what has come out in the news and what Tomlin supposedly said. But, he is saying what he HAS to say as a coach. Leftwich is the Starter !!! Yeah ! Yeah, right ! OK !

What he is saying IS "COACHING 101."

What purpose would be served by saying Dixon is the starter OR that the best man wins OR that they will go with QB by committee. If he comes out and says Dixon is the starter, then he JUST pisses Leftwich (The Veteran) off and Dixon could get a little over confident and/or complacent. Not a good idea and NOT good coaching. NOT "Coaching 101," that's for sure.

By saying that Leftwich is the starter, it keeps Leftwich working hard to prove to people he still has" it." It also, FORCES Dixon have to go out and win the job. He knows he has to now work at it, if he wants it. He knows he has to LIGHT IT UP if he wants to be the starter.

Do you really think that Tomlin will start Byron if he completely sucks in pre-season and Dixon sets the QB world on fire ??? Regardless of what he says to the media, and what he says to motivate his players, he will make the decision that's best for the team. He is the coach, he will put the best man under center to start the season.

Will Dixon seize the moment ??? Could be a "High Draft Pick" in the Steelers future if Dixon shows something this pre-season too.

The Duke
08-05-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm calling it no, it's gonna be the biggest surprise at the end of training camp

"Dennis Dixon" is our starting quarterback

don't like his #10 though....

If he comes out and says Dixon is the starter, then he JUST pisses Leftwich (The Veteran) off and Dixon could get a little over confident and/or complacent.

Totally agree about dixon getting complacent. But I doubt leftwich would be pissed, he seems like a team player

Just tell dixon he's the starter the saturday before the game like last year :chuckle:

vrabinec
08-05-2010, 02:13 PM
vrabinec, if that was you, awesome first day training camp summary. Made me feel like I was there. Thanks for the time and effort you put into it.

I wrote this in thread on another board a few weeks back and I still feel the same way:

Yinz guys that are getting all worked up over the QB situation need to relax. NO ONE knows who the starter will be in place of Ben for the first 4 games, NO ONE. I know what has come out in the news and what Tomlin supposedly said. But, he is saying what he HAS to say as a coach. Leftwich is the Starter !!! Yeah ! Yeah, right ! OK !

What he is saying IS "COACHING 101."

What purpose would be served by saying Dixon is the starter OR that the best man wins OR that they will go with QB by committee. If he comes out and says Dixon is the starter, then he JUST pisses Leftwich (The Veteran) off and Dixon could get a little over confident and/or complacent. Not a good idea and NOT good coaching. NOT "Coaching 101," that's for sure.

By saying that Leftwich is the starter, it keeps Leftwich working hard to prove to people he still has" it." It also, FORCES Dixon have to go out and win the job. He knows he has to now work at it, if he wants it. He knows he has to LIGHT IT UP if he wants to be the starter.

Do you really think that Tomlin will start Byron if he completely sucks in pre-season and Dixon sets the QB world on fire ??? Regardless of what he says to the media, and what he says to motivate his players, he will make the decision that's best for the team. He is the coach, he will put the best man under center to start the season.

Will Dixon seize the moment ??? Could be a "High Draft Pick" in the Steelers future if Dixon shows something this pre-season too.

Happy to oblige. These were the notes from Monday, if you missed them:
http://www.draftsteel.com/ff/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7973

The thing about the current situation now is that Lefty's getting twice as many reps in practice as Dixon's getting (someone posted the actual counts over on the Steelers web site). That means Lefty's gonna get more consistency. Meh, you're probably right. I'm probably getting worked up over nothing.

Wallace108
08-05-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm probably getting worked up over nothing.

Maybe you are, maybe you aren't. But at least it makes for a good discussion. :drink:

salamander
08-05-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm not 100% sure who I'd like to see get the job come week one, but I would really like to see what Dixon can do. As was mentioned earlier, as long as the job gets done.

Steeldude
08-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Am I reading this right? Thius would be idiotic. Okay, so maybe he didn't come into the spring practices as prepared as he could. Big deal. I think he gives us the best chance to win those first 4 games. That's what it's ultimately all about, isn't it?

http://pit.scout.com/2/989188.html

how does a very inexperienced QB give the steelers the best chance to win? i remember people saying kordell gave the steelers the best chance to win. where exactly does it say dixon is in the doghouse? IMO, dixon will be gone before the 2011 season. he will be another team's project.

i thought when creating threads we were supposed to use the title of the article?

Steeltreal
08-05-2010, 05:02 PM

I say why trade put him on the blocks before Ben? He's worth more anyway and I see Ben as having 3 strikes already with his bike crash and 2 incidents. His 2nd superbowl win canceled 1 of the three out.

Kaeg
08-05-2010, 05:35 PM
don't like his #10 though....

Why did he switch his number, anyway? It was #2 last year, right? Kordell's 10 has been a while now, but Santo's is still too fresh in my mind.

salamander
08-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Why did he switch his number, anyway? It was #2 last year, right? Kordell's 10 has been a while now, but Santo's is still too fresh in my mind.

I would assume that since #10 was his college number, he jumped at the opportunity to take it when it became available.

hotrodder07
08-05-2010, 05:41 PM

He was #10 at Oregon. Maybe it's a lucky number for him. Hopefully lucky enough to erase the memory of past #10's the Steelers have had. lol