PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey brothers don hats to free Hernandez

vader29
07-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Not Everyone Is Turning Their Backs On Aaron Hernandez

The Pouncey Brothers:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPI-NCpCMAEksoG.jpg

http://deadspin.com/not-everyone-is-turning-their-backs-on-aaron-hernandez-776847596

:frusty:

Hindes204
07-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Ugh

Dwinsgames
07-14-2013, 12:19 PM

I just lost all respect for those two

smokin3000gt
07-14-2013, 12:22 PM
SMH...

Steeltreal
07-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Hate for Social media grows, threads like this should be moved to the BS FORUM because thats all it is. Quit stalking athletes outside of the game. FUCK TMZ

smokin3000gt
07-14-2013, 12:34 PM
When you wear a hat like that, you wear it because you want people to see it.

Dwinsgames
07-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Hate for Social media grows, threads like this should be moved to the BS FORUM because thats all it is. Quit stalking athletes outside of the game. FUCK TMZ

who is " stalking athletes " ?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217697/article/pouncey-twins-don-free-hernandez-caps-at-club

its on NFL.com where people interested in the game go to look at whats going on , I did not go to TMZ to find this trash ...

shows me all I need to know about the Pouncey brothers in the process because Hernandez is their homie its cool with them that he kills people .. that don't wash with me if he never plays another game in Black N Gold I would be just fine with it

Polamalu Princess
07-14-2013, 01:47 PM
:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Dwinsgames
07-14-2013, 01:50 PM
When you wear a hat like that, you wear it because you want people to see it.

bingo

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 01:52 PM
No, no, why do this!?!

fansince'76
07-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Pouncey really says and does a lot of stupid shit. I still remember him pimping the "Rap album" the day after one of the most embarrassing losses in team history.

zulater
07-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Not Everyone Is Turning Their Backs On Aaron Hernandez

The Pouncey Brothers:

http://deadspin.com/not-everyone-is-turning-their-backs-on-aaron-hernandez-776847596

:frusty:

Fucking morons! :doh: I swear if the Steelers cut Pouncey tommorow I'd cheer. It's one thing to support a friend / ex teammate. You can say innocent until proven guilty, I want to wait until all the facts come out before I'll believe my friend could do this, etc... But this?! Jeezus, they are fucking morons, no and if or but's about it! "Free Hernandez", suggests you don't care about facts, don't care if he commited murder. He's your friend so it's ok for him to kill as he pleases.

Seriously I'll lose all respect for the Steelers if they don't at least suspend Pouncey for a game for this.

Nadroj 20
07-14-2013, 03:17 PM
This screams lack of common sense. I don't care if he is your friend and that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Those two have to realize the situation and to not publicly show support for a man charged with murder.

Moose
07-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Some real assholes ! Poor buffoons, with not one ounce of brain.

Nadroj 20
07-14-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm fine with some kind of punishment for this like zulator suggested. Pouncey needs to be taught a lesson that you can't do this.

I know he is a friend and you can support him all you want behind closed doors. But to go out in public with a "Free Hernandez" hat on suggests to me you are trying to get attention. There would be absolutely no other benefit.

stillers4me
07-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Source: Steelers to talk to Pouncy

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9477236/photos-maurkice-pouncey-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-pouncey-miami-dolphins-free-hernandez-caps

Nadroj 20
07-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Source: Steelers to talk to Pouncy

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9477236/photos-maurkice-pouncey-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-pouncey-miami-dolphins-free-hernandez-caps

Good. I'm interested in what the Steelers will say to him. Something tells me a stern talking to isn't good enough for this kind of poor judgement.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Pouncey really says and does a lot of stupid shit. I still remember him pimping the "Rap album" the day after one of the most embarrassing losses in team history.

And for a guy who seems to be so smart on the field too...

Count Steeler
07-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Any odds on Pouncey getting another contract with the Steelers? Dumb, and dumber.

Dwinsgames
07-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Any odds on Pouncey getting another contract with the Steelers? Dumb, and dumber.

hell I would not be mad if they traded his ass tomorrow

- - - Updated - - -

just seen this is also posted in the NFL thread on Hernandez , not sure what one went up first but if someone feels it should be merged then so be it

X-Terminator
07-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Well, so much for the Steelers staying out of the negative spotlight before training camp.

Way to go, Maurkice. You have lost my respect and will have a damn difficult time getting it back even after your upcoming half-hearted "apology."

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm not going to lie, this makes me a little sick... This is going to piss off a lot of Steelers fans...

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Good. I'm interested in what the Steelers will say to him. Something tells me a stern talking to isn't good enough for this kind of poor judgement.

I'm interested in what the Steelers will say as well. All I can do is shake my head...

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 05:18 PM
So I just did a little search on the internet to see what are peers our saying and not a single person is supporting Pouncey. People want him cut or suspended and I also unfollowed him from Twitter. I think this was a classless and tasteless act.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Ok, it was a stupid idea, but suspension? For what? Cutting him? That's laughable.

Again, terrible idea to do this. No good coming from it.

But this is a team that kept it's starting QB after bar related incidents (I believe Ben is innocent but we can all agree he likely did some morally questionable things that night). Nothing major will happen to Pouncey.

Shoes
07-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Maurkice Pouncey a leader of the Steelers? He's an ass!

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Ok, it was a stupid idea, but suspension? For what? Cutting him? That's laughable.

But this is a team that kept it's starting QB after bar related incidents (I believe Ben is innocent but we can all agree he likely did some morally questionable things that night). Nothing major will happen to Pouncey.

Lets keep Ben out of this and focus on Pouncey. The Steelers are going to talk to him about this and hopefully they can get through to him not to do this and to use common sense next time.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Lets keep Ben out of this and focus on Pouncey. The Steelers are going to talk to him about this and hopefully they can get through to him not to do this and to use common sense next time.

When you have two very comparable incidents, it's worth talking about.

Pristas
07-14-2013, 05:37 PM
I hope Colbert and Tomlin are done hiring "thugs". I'm sick of this shit. Plaxico, Holmes, Wallace, Pouncey. What kind of children are we raising in America anyway? This is not the Steeler way of doing things and I certainly hope Mr. Rooney straightens this mess out. I'd love for them to fish for Pouncey offers, via trade, plus draft picks right now. I'll bet he could garner us a high one, plus another 2nd or 3rd based on his current status and age. Get Legursky back, since everyone agreed there was no dropoff with him here.

salamander
07-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Dumbasses...

tube517
07-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Dumb asses

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Pristas
07-14-2013, 05:46 PM

True, but Ben was just thinking with his dick, while Pouncey is supporting a "potential" murderer. I will admit to being a douche when I was 20-26 too. But I just wanted some action, didn't we all? You can turn that around. Ben seems to have straightened out. Pouncey is a little different... he's taking the "he's my homeboy" approach and ignoring the actual evidence. It will be interesting to see if he responds to the Administration or if he ignores it. I'll bet we don't re-sign him when the time comes. I'd love to see our Steelers collect ourselves and get back to what we our great at... winning championships.

I forgot to add Rainey to my list above.

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 05:49 PM

So we're going bring up Ben's accusations for the millionth time? Something that has been beaten to death over and over again? I think its for the best to just leave the past in the past and focus on this event.

Nadroj 20
07-14-2013, 05:50 PM
I understand he is their friend and everyone is innocent until proven guilty. So nobody is able to say right now that he is 100% guilty. JUST like nobody can say he is 100% innocent!!

So I don't care how good of friends you are, your buddy just got arrested for murder and is being investigated for more! I don't care if it's my BEST friend , I'm freaking asking questions if he gets arrested for murder. And I sure as hell am not running around with "Free Whoever" hats on before I know the facts.

My guess is, these two will still declare Hernandez's innocence even if he is proven guilty. I can not understand why so many people refuse to use their brain.

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 05:50 PM
I hope Colbert and Tomlin are done hiring "thugs". I'm sick of this shit. Plaxico, Holmes, Wallace, Pouncey. What kind of children are we raising in America anyway? This is not the Steeler way of doing things and I certainly hope Mr. Rooney straightens this mess out. I'd love for them to fish for Pouncey offers, via trade, plus draft picks right now. I'll bet he could garner us a high one, plus another 2nd or 3rd based on his current status and age. Get Legursky back, since everyone agreed there was no dropoff with him here.

I don't see how Mike Wallace was a thug... Unless you're talking about another Wallace and I can't think of one. I wouldn't exactly label Pouncey as a thug for this either. I think he engaged in a classless act, but I don't think he should be called a thug for it.

Pristas
07-14-2013, 06:01 PM
I don't see how Mike Wallace was a thug... Unless you're talking about another Wallace and I can't think of one. I wouldn't exactly label Pouncey as a thug for this either. I think he engaged in a classless act, but I don't think he should be called a thug for it.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but Wallace was a cancer to the locker room and it was all about money, which many have reported. But Pouncey's actions are egregious. I'm going to go buy my "Live Free and Prosper Zimmerman" hat now...

Shoes
07-14-2013, 06:02 PM
He must be hanging out with pea brain Mendenhall. This is why these guys should start playing at 60K a year for the first 5 years.

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but Wallace was a cancer to the locker room and it was all about money, which many have reported. But Pouncey's actions are egregious. I'm going to go buy my "Live Free and Prosper Zimmerman" hat now...

Yikes...

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 06:03 PM
True, but Ben was just thinking with his dick, while Pouncey is supporting a "potential" murderer. I will admit to being a douche when I was 20-26 too. But I just wanted some action, didn't we all? You can turn that around. Ben seems to have straightened out. Pouncey is a little different... he's taking the "he's my homeboy" approach and ignoring the actual evidence. It will be interesting to see if he responds to the Administration or if he ignores it. I'll bet we don't re-sign him when the time comes. I'd love to see our Steelers collect ourselves and get back to what we our great at... winning championships.

I forgot to add Rainey to my list above.

You can spin it either way you like but both guys did something morally wrong, not legally wrong. Let's not forget that Hernandez isn't just some face he is to you and me. He was a teammate and probably a friend. It's stupid to wear that hat in public because of the predictable backlash but it's natural to defend your friends. You and I would likely do the same.

Ben is older. Pouncey has time to "straighten out" just as Ben has.

If we don't re-sign him over this incident, we have a serious issue in the front office.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 06:04 PM
So we're going bring up Ben's accusations for the millionth time? Something that has been beaten to death over and over again? I think its for the best to just leave the past in the past and focus on this event.

When talking/thinking about what the team may do in response, his similar incident is going to be the logical landing point.

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 06:08 PM
When talking/thinking about what the team may do in response, his similar incident is going to be the logical landing point.

I still don't understand why it has to be brought up. Lets focus on this event and not worry about what the Steelers have done with their players and their actions in the past. Lets focus on what the Steelers are going to do with Pouncey.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 06:12 PM
I still don't understand why it has to be brought up. Lets focus on this event and not worry about what the Steelers have done with their players and their actions in the past. Lets focus on what the Steelers are going to do with Pouncey.

And to do that, basing the organization's past decisions of very similar incidents is a great way to come to an answer. Precedent is very important.

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 06:18 PM
And to do that, basing the organization's past decisions of very similar incidents is a great way to come to an answer. Precedent is very important.

While I do agree with this, the argument could be made that the Steelers have been very inconsistent then on their decisions with their players. Lets not even go there because we'll talk about this for forever.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 06:33 PM
While I do agree with this, the argument could be made that the Steelers have been very inconsistent then on their decisions with their players. Lets not even go there because we'll talk about this for forever.

Sure, it's totally true that when we're talking about a high-profile player like Ben and a smaller name one in say, Chris Rainey, the standard is different. Just the way it is.

But Ben and Pouncey are both marquee players. Neither have done anything legally wrong. Both making questionable decisions in public. No prior legal trouble. Why wouldn't we compare them?

Nadroj 20
07-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Sure, it's totally true that when we're talking about a high-profile player like Ben and a smaller name one in say, Chris Rainey, the standard is different. Just the way it is.

But Ben and Pouncey are both marquee players. Neither have done anything legally wrong. Both making questionable decisions in public. No prior legal trouble. Why wouldn't we compare them?

If we are comparing them then I think it is fair to say Pouncey very easily could get hit with a fine or suspension for making questionable decisions in public.

It wasn't as majors as Ben's so it won't be as severe.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 06:45 PM
If we are comparing them then I think it is fair to say Pouncey very easily could get hit with a fine or suspension for making questionable decisions in public.

It wasn't as majors as Ben's so it won't be as severe.

No way. There will be no lawsuits, no police investigation for what Pouncey did. Nor is this a repeat offense. The league isn't going to get involved with an issue so delicate as this. They haven't even suspended Hernandez. Why would they suspend someone supporting him?

Nadroj 20
07-14-2013, 06:54 PM
No way. There will be no lawsuits, no police investigation for what Pouncey did. Nor is this a repeat offense. The league isn't going to get involved with an issue so delicate as this. They haven't even suspended Hernandez. Why would they suspend someone supporting him?

I'm not talking about the league I'm talking about Pittsburgh. I think he gets fined for this. He needs to grow up if this is how he chooses to act and he is representing us.

I would have no problem with Pittsburgh fining him for using such poor judgement.

zulater
07-14-2013, 06:58 PM
You can spin it either way you like but both guys did something morally wrong, not legally wrong. Let's not forget that Hernandez isn't just some face he is to you and me. He was a teammate and probably a friend. It's stupid to wear that hat in public because of the predictable backlash but it's natural to defend your friends. You and I would likely do the same.

Ben is older. Pouncey has time to "straighten out" just as Ben has.

If we don't re-sign him over this incident, we have a serious issue in the front office.

I wouldn't support a friend that was absolutely involved in a murder, even if he didn't pull the trigger.

I wouldn't even support a family member where the evidence was so clear. That's not to say I'd abandon them, but I wouldn't be shooting duces at a camera with a big shit eater grin on my face with a moronic statement on it like that.

Here's what i do if I'm the Steelers. I call Pouncey in and have a conference call set up with a family member of Odin Lloyd on the other end. Then I'd ask Pouncey to explain why it's imperitive that Aaron Hernandez be released before his trial to that person.

Hopefully at some point it would occur to him what an ass he's been.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm not talking about the league I'm talking about Pittsburgh. I think he gets fined for this. He needs to grow up if this is how he chooses to act and he is representing us.

I would have no problem with Pittsburgh fining him for using such poor judgement.

A fine sets a scary precedent if you ask me. Because there's nothing remotely close to being illegal here. It's him wearing a hat. Again, it's obviously stupid to do. But that's it. Fining him probably just exacerbates the story. Last thing the team needs heading into camp.

zulater
07-14-2013, 07:02 PM
A fine sets a scary precedent if you ask me. Because there's nothing remotely close to being illegal here. It's him wearing a hat. Again, it's obviously stupid to do. But that's it. Fining him probably just exacerbates the story. Last thing the team needs heading into camp.

Maybe he could wear a hat asking for the Boston Marathon bomber's release next week? Why should that bother anyone? It's a free country right?

:doh:

Nadroj 20
07-14-2013, 07:03 PM

I just don't think a talk with him is going to be good enough. Someone is dead and one of our so called leaders of the team is insensitive enough to wear a hat showing support to the possible trigger man. Even if Hernandez didn't do it we just don't know that yet.

I know I would get in trouble with my employeer if I was Pouncey.

This is just very aggravating.

Steeltreal
07-14-2013, 07:06 PM

Exactly!

zulater
07-14-2013, 07:06 PM
I just don't think a talk with him is going to be good enough. Someone is dead and one of our so called leaders of the team is insensitive enough to wear a hat showing support to the likely trigger man. Even if Hernandez didn't do it we just don't know that yet.

Fixed it for ya. :wink02:

ALLD
07-14-2013, 07:11 PM
He needs to remember he is representing the Steelers wherever he goes. Pete Rozelle would have been pissed for a dumb stunt like that.

Psycho Ward 86
07-14-2013, 07:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgNkjv1z6Mg

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Maybe he could wear a hat asking for the Boston Marathon bomber's release next week? Why should that bother anyone? It's a free country right?

:doh:

And then next you ask if it's ok if he wears a hat with Hitler's face on it...

Yeah, yeah, I know you're schtik.

- - - Updated - - -

I just don't think a talk with him is going to be good enough. Someone is dead and one of our so called leaders of the team is insensitive enough to wear a hat showing support to the possible trigger man. Even if Hernandez didn't do it we just don't know that yet.

I said it was stupid and sure, it was insensitive. But it's still just a hat and he's allowed to wear it if he wants to. What do I fine the guy for? Again, it's his friend. Friends stick up for each other. Our view or Hernandez and his view of him are totally different because we don't know the guy. He does.

zulater
07-14-2013, 07:23 PM
So let me get this straight. A single man trying to score a college co-ed on the night of his birthday is roughly the same as wearing a hat supporting the release of a man implicated and charged with an execution style homicide? A charge that was brought about due to an overwhelming abundcance of evidence linking him to a crime that did in fact take the life of a young man last seen in the acquaintance of Aaron Hernandez? Yeah, that seems logical. :doh: :frusty:

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I said it was stupid and sure, it was insensitive. But it's still just a hat and he's allowed to wear it if he wants to. What do I fine the guy for? Again, it's his friend.

You get stupider with every post.

Nadroj 20
07-14-2013, 07:26 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I said it was stupid and sure, it was insensitive. But it's still just a hat and he's allowed to wear it if he wants to. What do I fine the guy for? Again, it's his friend. Friends stick up for each other. Our view or Hernandez and his view of him are totally different because we don't know the guy. He does.

I've already said that even if a guy is my best friend, I'm asking some questions if he gets arrested for murder. I'm not going to automatically assume he is innocent just because he is my friend. That hat seems more like a statement of innocence rather then support. Support means I'm here for you through this rough time but it doesn't mean I necessarily think you're innocent.

He could get fined for bringing bad publicity to the team. I guess I can't say that he will but you asked what he could get fined for and making your employeer look bad because of decisions you made would be a reason. Will he? I don't know. Like I said though if he does I'm not going to complain and he had it coming.

zulater
07-14-2013, 07:28 PM
I've already said that even if a guy is my best friend, I'm asking some questions if he gets arrested for murder. I'm not going to automatically assume he is innocent just because he is my friend. That hat seems more like a statement of innocence rather then support. Support means I'm here for you through this rough time but it doesn't mean I necessarily think you're innocent.

He could get fined for bring bad publicity to the team. I guess I can't say that he will but you asked what he could get fined for and making your employeer look bad because of decisions you made would be a reason. Will he? I don't know. Like I said though if he does I'm not going to complain and he had it coming.

Well said! :applaudit:

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 07:42 PM

He could get fined for bringing bad publicity to the team. I guess I can't say that he will but you asked what he could get fined for and making your employeer look bad because of decisions you made would be a reason. Will he? I don't know. Like I said though if he does I'm not going to complain and he had it coming.

And I can't be any clearer that wearing the hat was a very stupid decision. No good could come from it and none obviously has. But he has a whole other different perspective of who Hernandez is than what we have. He knows the guy so it's understandable that he's more likely so stick up for him than Jon Doe. He's just chosen a terrible way to express that. But at the end of the day, it's just a hat. And just a mistake. Far worse has been done in this offseason alone.

- - - Updated - - -

So let me get this straight. A single man trying to score a college co-ed on the night of his birthday is roughly the same as wearing a hat supporting the release of a man implicated and charged with an execution style homicide? A charge that was brought about due to an overwhelming abundcance of evidence linking him to a crime that did in fact take the life of a young man last seen in the acquaintance of Aaron Hernandez? Yeah, that seems logical. :doh: :frusty:

- - - Updated - - -

You get stupider with every post.

Yes because it's just a hat. It's only morally questionable just as having sex in a bathroom with a co-ed is morally questionable, not illegal. That's why they're similar.

st33lersguy
07-14-2013, 07:44 PM
We have enough thug NFL/ former NFL criminals out free when they should be in jail, Ray Lewis, Pacman Jones, Leonard Little, the last thing society needs is to have another thug in the NFL running around when they should be in jail. Both Pouncey brothers should be ashamed of themselves, supporting the release of a murderous scumbag thug.

zulater
07-14-2013, 07:45 PM
And I can't be any clearer that wearing the hat was a very stupid decision. No good could come from it and none obviously has. But he has a whole other different perspective of who Hernandez is than what we have. He knows the guy so it's understandable that he's more likely so stick up for him than Jon Doe. He's just chosen a terrible way to express that. But at the end of the day, it's just a hat. And just a mistake. Far worse has been done in this offseason alone.

Yes because it's just a hat. It's only morally questionable just as having sex in a bathroom with a co-ed is morally questionable, not illegal. That's why they're similar.

Go tell it to Odin Lloyd's family.

And don't dare try to turn it around and say tell it to Ben's accuser. Because she had the chance to stand up in court and make her charge's and chose not to. Odin Lloyd wont ever get that chance because he's dead. It's a total disrespect to him and his family for anyone to wear a hat or anything else in support of his accused murderer before the case is adjudicated.

Hindes204
07-14-2013, 07:46 PM
I have to agree with Chidi on this one. Was it stupid? Absolutely! Poor judgment? No doubt! Illegal and warranting a fine? No.

as much as I disagree with these idiots, it is within thier rights to speak freely about a man merely accused, not YET convicted of a crime.

Nadroj 20
07-14-2013, 07:46 PM

I guess this is where we really disagree. It is not just a hat. It is so much more then just a hat.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 07:50 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Go tell it to Odin Lloyd's family.

I don't think they care about who is wearing a hat. They care about bringing Hernandez to justice and finding out why he allegedly murdered him.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess this is where we really disagree. It is not just a hat. It is so much more then just a hat.

I can't think that a young 20-something put so much thought into the choice to spite the Lloyd family or anything like that. I can't believe at the time, he realized the implications. He made a stupid, regrettable decision. But that's all. We can't lose "all respect" for Pouncey and lose "all respect" for Hernandez. That equates their actions as the same and they're certainly not.

zulater
07-14-2013, 07:50 PM
We have enough thug NFL/ former NFL criminals out free when they should be in jail, Ray Lewis, Pacman Jones, Leonard Little, the last thing society needs is to have another thug in the NFL running around when they should be in jail. Both Pouncey brothers should be ashamed of themselves, supporting the release of a murderous scumbag thug.

Amen.

And don't think for a minute that the Rooney's are happy about this.

Or Tomlin or Colbert, or probably even the majority of his teammates. This is an embarressment to the organization and to the NFL.

Nadroj 20
07-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Just to make it clear I'm picking what is probably the weakest of all the punishments which is just a fine. I'm not saying cut him and I do not think it should go as far as suspending him any games.

A fine isn't unreasonable in my opinion. And that's all it is just my opinion. I also think it would come from the team not the NFL obviously because he did not break any laws.

I just have a real problem with this which I guess has been made pretty clear. Pouncey has got to be more responsible.

zulater
07-14-2013, 07:53 PM

Agreed. I think it defines them as thugs supportive of the sort of lifestyle that led Hernandez to commit murder in the first place.

I think they know who that guy is, what he's capable of and that they are callous and indifferent to the crime that was commited and to the victim and his family. Notice the hats didn't say Aaron is innocent, or something along those lines. Nope,they just want his release because gangsta's and thug's got's to do what they got to do..they probably think the vitctim had it coming for betraying their jackass friend.

Nadroj 20
07-14-2013, 08:01 PM
I don't think they care about who is wearing a hat. They care about bringing Hernandez to justice and finding out why he allegedly murdered him.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't think that a young 20-something put so much thought into the choice to spite the Lloyd family or anything like that. I can't believe at the time, he realized the implications. He made a stupid, regrettable decision. But that's all. We can't lose "all respect" for Pouncey and lose "all respect" for Hernandez. That equates their actions as the same and they're certainly not.

I'm a young 20-something person and would have used enough sense not to do something like this. Maybe that is why I have such an issue with it and would have no problem with some kind of punishment. Again, a reasonable punishment.

I haven't said I lost ALL respect for Pouncey just a lot. He just like anyone else always has the chance to redeem themselve in my eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I think it defines them as thugs supportive of the sort of lifestyle that led Hernandez to commit murder in the first place.

I think they know who that guy is, what he's capable of and that they are callous and indifferent to the crime he commited. Notice the hats didn't say Aaron is innocent, or something along those lines. Nope,they just want his release because gangsta's and thug's got's to do what they got to do..

Right. It's not like they got interviewed and they simply tried to support their friend by saying he is innocent until proven guilty, we are standing by him and seeing how this plays out. We hope everything works out and it's proven he did not do this, etc...

They wore a hat that said "Free Hernandez" as if there is absolutely no reason why he shoudn't be free.

I have a very low tolerance for stupidity.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm a young 20-something person and would have used enough sense not to do something like this. Maybe that is why I have such an issue with it and would have no problem with some kind of punishment. Again, a reasonable punishment.

I haven't said I lost ALL respect for Pouncey just a lot. He just like anyone else always has the chance to redeem themselve in my eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Right. It's not like they got interviewed and they simply tried to support their friend by saying he is innocent until proven guilty, we are standing by him and seeing how this plays out. We hope everything works out and it's proven he did not do this, etc...

They wore a hat that said "Free Hernandez" as if there is absolutely no reason why he shoudn't be free.

I have a very low tolerance for stupidity.

I'm not saying you said you've all respect from him but many others have. Others wanted him released, just as Hernandez was. In doing so, it's effectively saying the two actions are the same or at worst, very similar. Which they're clearly not.

I'm not tolerant of stupidity either. Not from a guy who is one of the faces of the team. If I'm Tomlin, I bring him in and chew him out. Can't have that kind of crap. Tomlin doesn't need to deal with it, the team doesn't need to deal with it. Heck, Pouncey doesn't need to deal with fielding this questions. He was to act as a leader and he represents the team 24/7.

But it's dangerous to read into this as supporting the thug/gang life. That's so far reaching. Clothing doesn't provide that kind of powerful message. It's a stupid piece of clothing and a worse decision to wear it. But that's all it is. That's the point I'm trying to make.

X-Terminator
07-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Fixed a lot of quotes in this thread.

Also, I may have lost respect for Pouncey, but I don't want him cut. That's over the top. If the team chooses to fine him, that's perfectly acceptable. The humiliation he's going to have to go through for being an absolute idiot is more than enough of a punishment.

It's like the stupid tweets from Roddy White and Victor Cruz after the Zimmerman verdict last night. When will these guys realize that they are public figures representing a multi-million dollar business (their respective teams) under the umbrella of a multi-billion dollar organization (the NFL), therefore everything they say and do is magnified? I also think this is yet another argument to ban pro athletes from using social media as long as they are employed by the team. Too many morons with diarrhea of the fingers ruining it for everyone.

Nadroj 20
07-14-2013, 08:26 PM
I guess you can't automatically say they support that lifestyle but it doesn't help at all.

Just sends a bad message which CAN be interpreted that way which is all the more reason not to do it.

zulater
07-14-2013, 08:31 PM
My guess is the Pouncey's were a lot less surprised than most of us when the warrant for Hernandez was for murder rather than obstruction of juctice. Not saying they knew anything about this case, but I think they know their friend has it in him to go that route. That's why I think those hats define them somewhat. Where they come from this is what men have to do sometimes, and they think nothing less of them for it.

Maybe this will be an eye opener for them? This is why the Steelers need to come down hard on Maurkice. Because you never truly escape the "hood" until you stop accepting street justice as a rightfull beacon.

Count Steeler
07-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Are the Pounceys involved in the gang that Hernandez belongs to? Anybody know if Maurkice has "BLOOD" tattoed on his hand?

The hat is insensitive and shows poor judgment. If he is part of the gang, that is a bigger issue.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 08:40 PM
I guess you can't automatically say they support that lifestyle but it doesn't help at all.

Just sends a bad message which CAN be interpreted that way which is all the more reason not to do it.

And I really have a tough time believing that was their message. I can completely see how it can get interpreted that way and that's the reason it is stupid. It's stupid to wear the hat anywhere. It's stupid to go out partying. It's stupid to wear that hat while out partying. All true.

But it doesn't mean Pouncey supports the gang lifestyle.

- - - Updated - - -

Are the Pounceys involved in the gang that Hernandez belongs to? Anybody know if Maurkice has "BLOOD" tattoed on his hand?

The hat is insensitive and shows poor judgment. If he is part of the gang, that is a bigger issue.

Woah, woah, getting way too far ahead of yourself. No evidence he's in a gang. I know you're just asking the question but that's how situations get blown out of proportion.

Count Steeler
07-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Woah, woah, getting way too far ahead of yourself. No evidence he's in a gang. I know you're just asking the question but that's how situations get blown out of proportion.

You don't get to the truth unless you ask questions. I think it would be a necessary area to explore if I were his manager. The situation gets blown out of proportion if there is accusation without evidence. I am asking for evidence before ANY accusations are made. This is not blowing it out of proportion.

zulater
07-14-2013, 08:51 PM
You don't get to the truth unless you ask questions. I think it would be a necessary area to explore if I were his manager. The situation gets blown out of proportion if there is accusation without evidence. I am asking for evidence before ANY accusations are made. This is not blowing it out of proportion.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/latest-news/2013/7/3/4491712/maurkice-pouncey-aaron-hernandez-shootings-2007

And then there's this, as you previously already posted on this board Count. I don't think it's a stretch at all to wonder if they know full well that Aaron Hernandez is capable of murder. And whether they have an allegiance to him that goes much deeper than just being former college teammates?

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 09:12 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/latest-news/2013/7/3/4491712/maurkice-pouncey-aaron-hernandez-shootings-2007

And then there's this, as you previously already posted on this board Count. I don't think it's a stretch at all to wonder if they know full well that Aaron Hernandez is capable of murder. And whether they have an allegiance to him that goes much deeper than just being former college teammates?

So was Tim Tebow. And probably a bunch of other players. Zero evidence of a connection.

zulater
07-14-2013, 09:20 PM
So was Tim Tebow. And probably a bunch of other players. Zero evidence of a connection.

He did say Cason was accused of having stolen a necklace from one of the Pouncey twins, and that Nelson confronted him at the night club. Nelson told police there was no incident, and the two parted ways without incident.

According to Outside The Lines, a portion of the police report still included Hernandez's name while redaction black covers up a name in the rest of the report.

According to that report, and despite claims to the Orlando Sentinel denying Hernandez was a suspect, Hernandez declined a request to speak to detectives, "evoking his right to counsel."

That section also noted Cason "rescinded his identification of Aaron Hernandez and Reggie Nelson," thus confirming the victim identified Hernandez as well as Nelson.

Reports do not suggest either Pouncey brother as having been a part of the alleged shooting, but Nelson spelled out a connection between them and the victim. Neither were named in the police report for any reason outside one of them (it says "one of the Pouncey twins") owned a necklace that was allegedly stolen by Cason.

Did you read the story? Tim Tebow didn't lose any property to either of the victims as i read it?

Dwinsgames
07-14-2013, 09:27 PM

the Bozo in Dallas too who killed his team mate while driving drunk and has since tested pos for drugs while on probation and tossed in the clink but ran free while he was IMO a murderer

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 09:30 PM
He did say Cason was accused of having stolen a necklace from one of the Pouncey twins, and that Nelson confronted him at the night club. Nelson told police there was no incident, and the two parted ways without incident.

According to Outside The Lines, a portion of the police report still included Hernandez's name while redaction black covers up a name in the rest of the report.

According to that report, and despite claims to the Orlando Sentinel denying Hernandez was a suspect, Hernandez declined a request to speak to detectives, "evoking his right to counsel."

That section also noted Cason "rescinded his identification of Aaron Hernandez and Reggie Nelson," thus confirming the victim identified Hernandez as well as Nelson.

Reports do not suggest either Pouncey brother as having been a part of the alleged shooting, but Nelson spelled out a connection between them and the victim. Neither were named in the police report for any reason outside one of them (it says "one of the Pouncey twins") owned a necklace that was allegedly stolen by Cason.

Did you read the story? Tim Tebow didn't lose any property to either of the victims as i read it?

It's an accusation the police didn't even bother to pursue. Steelers' fans should know better than anyone else about accusations the police don't think are worthy of investigating.

zulater
07-14-2013, 09:37 PM
It's an accusation the police didn't even bother to pursue. Steelers' fans should know better than anyone else about accusations the police don't think are worthy of investigating.

Yeah it's an investigation they apparently swept under the rug to help their Gators pursue a national title. Don't be surprised if this case blows up sometime soon now that it's apparent they allowed a socio path to go unquestioned.

And by the way I'm not saying the Pouncey's participated in a murder. But it wouldn't surprise me either if they knew that Hernandez got away with murder in the past. And maybe in part due to the fact that the problem initially arose over one of the brothers stolen jewelery maybe they feel they owe Hernandez continued allegiance even though they know he's most likely guilty?

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Yeah it's an investigation they apparently swept under the rug to help their Gators pursue a national title. Don't be surprised if this case blows up sometime soon now that it's apparent they allowed a socio path to go unquestioned.

And by the way I'm not saying the Pouncey's participated in a murder. But it wouldn't surprise me either if they knew that Hernandez got away with murder in the past. And maybe in part due to the fact that the problem initially arose over one of the brothers stolen jewelery maybe they feel they owe Hernandez continued allegiance even though they know he's most likely guilty?

Way too many assumptions going on here.

1. They stole the necklace.
2. The police covered it up to protect the Gators and help them win a championship.
3. They knew Aaron Hernandez was capable of murder.
4. They knew he murdered people.
5. They stole jewelry to appease Hernandez.

None of it coming with any credible evidence.

zulater
07-14-2013, 09:58 PM

2. The police covered it up to protect the Gators and help them win a championship.

Here's what I know as fact. That murder in Florida is still an unsolved case. The police originally wanted to question Hernandez. He refused to cooperate. They never got back to him. Strange for an open homicide case to leave such a huge stone unturned no?

Dwinsgames
07-14-2013, 10:06 PM

Huh ???? ( the bold )

your making it sound as if the Pouncey twins stole jewelry when Mike was the victim of the theft ( Mike was Hernandez room mate )

zulater
07-14-2013, 10:16 PM
If Pouncey weren't a Steelers Chidi would be claiming we're only piling on him because he's not one of ours. And if he was on another team he'd do what he always does and make an invaild linkage to Big Ben's case.

Well of course he did that in this thread too. :doh:

Here's what it is. We're not hypocrites. We go on a case by case basis and allow the facts to shape our opinion. Maurkice Pouncey is an idiot for wearing that hat. And unless the team sets him straight he'll contine to think he has done nothing wrong.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Huh ???? ( the bold )

your making it sound as if the Pouncey twins stole jewelry when Mike was the victim of the theft ( Mike was Hernandez room mate )

I think I read that wrong. My fault. Regardless, there's no evidence to back up that claim.

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 10:25 PM

To address your first sentence; what you said is true. The standard is different for certain players. I don't think Pouncey will be suspended because of this nor do I feel he should be. I think the Steelers are taking the right approach by talking to him about it. He is there employee and he represents his employer. It puts a dark cloud over the franchise and our fanbase.

To address your second statement, they both made questionable decisions, not only in public, but in general. However, I feel that these should not be compared because the incidents were completely different. One is supporting a friend who allegedly murdered someone while the other was accused of sexual assault for the second time. I just think that because of the incidents, they shouldn't be compared. I also hate the fact that people still bring up Ben and what he has been accused of. I just wish people, especially Steelers fans would let it go already. I do however understand where you're coming from and understand you're argument.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 10:26 PM
If Pouncey weren't a Steelers Chidi would be claiming we're only piling on him because he's not one of ours. And if he was on another team he'd do what he always does and make an invaild linkage to Big Ben's case.

Well of course he did that in this thread too. :doh:

Here's what it is. We're not hypocrites. We go on a case by case basis and allow the facts to shape our opinion. Maurkice Pouncey is an idiot for wearing that hat. And unless the team sets him straight he'll contine to think he has done nothing wrong.

You can bring up the Ben saga without trying to make Ben look like a monster. That's what I did. It's drawing a comparison to those who think that Pouncey is going to get suspended/fined over it.

We're in agreement. He was an idiot for the hat. The team needs to tell him it's not acceptable. I don't know why you're arguing with me over that.

fansince'76
07-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Well, if this is the worst thing that will happen to the Steelers this offseason, I'll take it. I'm sure the Patriots would too...

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 10:32 PM
You can bring up the Ben saga without trying to make Ben look like a monster. That's what I did. It's drawing a comparison to those who think that Pouncey is going to get suspended/fined over it.

We're in agreement. He was an idiot for the hat. The team needs to tell him it's not acceptable. I don't know why you're arguing with me over that.

I don't know... I think anyone who has or is being accused of sexual assault will always look like a monster to some.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with your statement Nadroj. Its more than just a hat. It has a specific meaning and that meaning is the support of Hernandez. People who wear shirts or hats with messages like that usually feel that the person was wrongfully arrested and did nothing wrong. They also may feel that the person is being mistreated. IMO, the twins were supporting their friend and may feel, MAY feel that he is innocent. I'm not saying that is the case, but that is the feeling I'm getting.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 10:39 PM
I don't know... I think anyone who has or is being accused of sexual assault will always look like a monster to some.

I said I believe Ben is innocent. Her claims were flimsy and she was rightfully exposed. I don't know what else to tell ya.

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 10:43 PM
I said I believe Ben is innocent. Her claims were flimsy and she was rightfully exposed. I don't know what else to tell ya.

I know you said that and I agree he is as well. I just stated that no matter what happens in his life, he will always have that dark cloud over him and some will always think he was guilty. That's all I said.

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 10:47 PM
I know you said that and I agree he is as well. I just stated that no matter what happens in his life, he will always have that dark cloud over him and some will always think he was guilty. That's all I said.

But I'm not. I'm using it as a similar situation the Steelers were in before and looking at how they reacted to apply it to Pouncey's situation.

steelerdude15
07-14-2013, 10:57 PM
But I'm not. I'm using it as a similar situation the Steelers were in before and looking at how they reacted to apply it to Pouncey's situation.

I think we're on two different subjects at this point. I'm sure you think that people will always find Ben to be guilty, even though he wasn't arrested or found guilty, correct?

Chidi29
07-14-2013, 11:06 PM
I think we're on two different subjects at this point. I'm sure you think that people will always find Ben to be guilty, even though he wasn't arrested or found guilty, correct?

Yes. But that's irrelevant for this discussion. I'm not saying that. I'm bringing Ben up for a different reason.

Steeltreal
07-14-2013, 11:15 PM
The guy is the same Athlete he was before he put on the hat, any disciplinary action the Steelers take if they choose to do so will impact this young mans attitude toward playing for this organization.

Die hard fans should want the team to move foward and succeed, the emotionally attached a-holes who want punishment/trade etc. Dont realize what a setback that would be. Plus its a non issue. Get him to camp, and get him focussed on earning an extension.

Steeldude
07-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Pure scum.

zulater
07-15-2013, 04:23 AM
The guy is the same Athlete he was before he put on the hat, any disciplinary action the Steelers take if they choose to do so will impact this young mans attitude toward playing for this organization.

Die hard fans should want the team to move foward and succeed, the emotionally attached a-holes who want punishment/trade etc. Dont realize what a setback that would be. Plus its a non issue. Get him to camp, and get him focussed on earning an extension.

So you're saying those of us who feel strongly that Pouncey should be reprimanded in some way by the Steelers for publicly supporting the release of an accused killer are the a-holes, and not Pouncey?

Wow! You've just set the bar at a new all time low. http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/dunce.gif

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with your statement Nadroj. Its more than just a hat. It has a specific meaning and that meaning is the support of Hernandez. People who wear shirts or hats with messages like that usually feel that the person was wrongfully arrested and did nothing wrong. They also may feel that the person is being mistreated. IMO, the twins were supporting their friend and may feel, MAY feel that he is innocent. I'm not saying that is the case, but that is the feeling I'm getting.

Fair enough. But my feeling is they did it in a flippant manner. It comes across to me that they feel their friend is above the law.

steeldawg
07-15-2013, 05:59 AM
I agree with chidi, cutting him would be absurd suspending him out of the question and fining him would be setting a very dangerous precedence. The steelers will talk to him and say "hey, I know he's your friend and we don't mind if you support him but just try not to do it in such a public fashion." I'm sure even his agent will get in his ear and tell him that doesn't look good to companies thinking about future endorsements. we complain about guys getting fined for nearly decapitating each other, but now we want guys fined for supporting a guy who is their friend who has yet to be convicted ( but guilty im sure). Do I think they are dumb for doing this, yes I think they're dumb but in the end its just a hat.

Dwinsgames
07-15-2013, 06:30 AM

I may be wrong but I will take a stab at it anyways ...

I think the main thing people are taking offense to is Bens case ( cases ) neither had enough evidence against him to even charge him with a crime , it all stunk of a money hungry woman wanting money and her 15 min of fame ...

whereas in contrast Hernandez was charged with Murder and is being investigated for other murders with likely charges to follow in at the very least 1 other case potentially a couple more cases .....

Granted Pouncey is not Hernandez but the showing of support for someone who has a mountain of evidence against them and charges not only makes you and your team / organization look like fools but it also makes it look like you condone Murder and truth be told many do not want that kind of individual on their favorite team because it is against our ideals ... now be that right /wrong or whatever it is what it is ....

I do not think anyone here believes what Pouncey did was right or in good taste , just what happens from here on out is where the difference lays and quite frankly not many will believe the apology that will follow ( probably today or tomorrow ) because it will be forced by the team and written by someone others than Pouncey ( he will only be a mouth piece ) ....

Devilsdancefloor
07-15-2013, 07:16 AM
i cant believe they are that dumb, but could they have been duped by someone at the party?

Nadroj 20
07-15-2013, 08:07 AM

No. That is not cool.

I'm an a-hole because I believe the team should be represented a lot better than that??

He needs to learn a lesson and I do not care if that impacts his attitude toward this team. That's not the type of player I want for my team.

And I've never called anyone an a-hole simply because they don't agree with me. These are opinions.

Chidi29
07-15-2013, 08:41 AM
I may be wrong but I will take a stab at it anyways ...

I think the main thing people are taking offense to is Bens case ( cases ) neither had enough evidence against him to even charge him with a crime , it all stunk of a money hungry woman wanting money and her 15 min of fame ...

whereas in contrast Hernandez was charged with Murder and is being investigated for other murders with likely charges to follow in at the very least 1 other case potentially a couple more cases .....

Granted Pouncey is not Hernandez but the showing of support for someone who has a mountain of evidence against them and charges not only makes you and your team / organization look like fools but it also makes it look like you condone Murder and truth be told many do not want that kind of individual on their favorite team because it is against our ideals ... now be that right /wrong or whatever it is what it is ....

I do not think anyone here believes what Pouncey did was right or in good taste , just what happens from here on out is where the difference lays and quite frankly not many will believe the apology that will follow ( probably today or tomorrow ) because it will be forced by the team and written by someone others than Pouncey ( he will only be a mouth piece ) ....

I get what you're saying but Pouncey isn't being charged with a crime either. He won't even be investigated or accused like Ben was. It's just a hat. Probably the worst hat you could wear yes, but still, just a hat. That's why they're similar to me. Did nothing wrong legally but made some questionable moral choices that cast the team in a bad light.

Dwinsgames
07-15-2013, 09:48 AM
I get what you're saying but Pouncey isn't being charged with a crime either. He won't even be investigated or accused like Ben was. It's just a hat. Probably the worst hat you could wear yes, but still, just a hat. That's why they're similar to me. Did nothing wrong legally but made some questionable moral choices that cast the team in a bad light.

if you are going to bring Ben into it then you also have to look at the result of that which you have been reluctant to do ...

Ben was found of no wrong doing by the Police and DA yet the league suspended him 6 games , now if you never have charged filed on you you are not guilty in the eyes of the law of any wrong doing ...

What Pouncey did is not against the law so no charges will be filed ( just like Ben ) but you find it unreasonable to punish him beyond a stern talking to ....

for many that is a double standard

Pristas
07-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Yikes...

I was being sarcastic.

Spike
07-15-2013, 10:12 AM
how stupid can you look?

http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/marukice-pouncey.jpg

Chidi29
07-15-2013, 11:13 AM
if you are going to bring Ben into it then you also have to look at the result of that which you have been reluctant to do ...

Ben was found of no wrong doing by the Police and DA yet the league suspended him 6 games , now if you never have charged filed on you you are not guilty in the eyes of the law of any wrong doing ...

What Pouncey did is not against the law so no charges will be filed ( just like Ben ) but you find it unreasonable to punish him beyond a stern talking to ....

for many that is a double standard

So you want/expect the league to suspend Pouncey?

Keep in mind Pouncey is also not considered to be a "repeat offender".

NCSteeler
07-15-2013, 11:23 AM
My guess is the Pouncey's were a lot less surprised than most of us when the warrant for Hernandez was for murder rather than obstruction of juctice. Not saying they knew anything about this case, but I think they know their friend has it in him to go that route. That's why I think those hats define them somewhat. Where they come from this is what men have to do sometimes, and they think nothing less of them for it.

Maybe this will be an eye opener for them? This is why the Steelers need to come down hard on Maurkice. Because you never truly escape the "hood" until you stop accepting street justice as a rightfull beacon.

VERY WELL SAID.

Dwinsgames
07-15-2013, 11:28 AM
So you want/expect the league to suspend Pouncey?

Keep in mind Pouncey is also not considered to be a "repeat offender".

Ben is a repeat offender ?

excuse me but he was never charged with a crime and in the eyes of the law he has committed no crime so what exactly is he a repeat offender of ??

Pouncey tarnished the shield , Ben was a victim of the media trying to make a story out of nothing criminal ( according to the GBI and the DA ) Goodell set out to make an example of him and Ben allowed it to happen to keep the Organization happy

if you want to draw comparisons ( I am not you are ) you have to take it to the same extent

zulater
07-15-2013, 11:33 AM
how stupid can you look?

http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/marukice-pouncey.jpg

Especially the brother sporting the Virgin Mary shirt to go along with the Free Hernandez hat. Talk about opposite end's of the spectrum!

- - - Updated - - -

excuse me but he was never charged with a crime and in the eyes of the law he has committed no crime so what exactly is he a repeat offender of ??

Pouncey tarnished the shield , Ben was a victim of the media trying to make a story out of nothing criminal ( according to the GBI and the DA ) Goodell set out to make an example of him and Ben allowed it to happen to keep the Organization happy

if you want to draw comparisons ( I am not you are ) you have to take it to the same extent

Perfect word, "victim". :applaudit:

Ben was also victim of a false claim of rape.

A single guy trying to get bathroom sex on his birthday from a college coed is guilty of nothing in my opinion. That the girl got shamed into making a false rape allegation by her friends rather than admit that she was a willing participant does nothing to diminsih Ben in my eyes.

zulater
07-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Steelers' Pouncey apologizes on Twitter for 'Free Hernandez' hat

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey apologized this morning via his Twitter account for wearing a "Free Hernandez" hat at a party over the weekend.
Pouncey was college teammates at the University of Florida with Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots tight end who stands accused of murder in Massachusetts.

"I fully recognize the seriousness of the situation involving my former teammate," Pouncey wrote. "And I regret that my actions appear to make light of that serious situation. I apologize to anyone who was offended by my actions."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-pouncey-apologizes-on-twitter-for-free-hernandez-hat-695526/#ixzz2Z8NA1ybP

This been posted yet?

Dwinsgames
07-15-2013, 11:59 AM

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey apologized this morning via his Twitter account for wearing a "Free Hernandez" hat at a party over the weekend.
Pouncey was college teammates at the University of Florida with Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots tight end who stands accused of murder in Massachusetts.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-pouncey-apologizes-on-twitter-for-free-hernandez-hat-695526/#ixzz2Z8NA1ybP

This been posted yet?

a true apology comes without provocation from your boss , any apology that comes after a talking to by the man who signs your checks is not an apology .... it is damage control

Chidi29
07-15-2013, 12:22 PM

In the eyes of the league, yes, he was considered a repeat offender. I don't agree with that decision. I have always maintained I did not agree with the suspension and the belief Ben is innocent.

I am trying to figure out who is setting the double standard. You think I am? The team? The league? When I read that, it sounded like you said the league was being hypocritical (since you mentioned the suspension).

X-Terminator
07-15-2013, 12:27 PM
a true apology comes without provocation from your boss , any apology that comes after a talking to by the man who signs your checks is not an apology .... it is damage control

Yep. If he really cared about how it would look, he wouldn't have worn the hat in the first place. Stupid is as stupid does.

Good luck to him getting back into the fans' good graces any time soon.

fansince'76
07-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Good luck to him getting back into the fans' good graces any time soon.

Meh. All it will take is him making a pancake block to spring Bell for a crucial TD in a big game.

fansince'76
07-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Ben was a victim of the media trying to make a story out of nothing criminal ( according to the GBI and the DA ) Goodell set out to make an example of him and Ben allowed it to happen to keep the Organization happy

Ben was also the victim of an overzealous commissioner who was eager to "prove" he wasn't a racist to the Jason Whitlocks and all the other race baiting assclowns in the media who had repeatedly accused him of being disproportionately hard on black players when handing out discipline up to that point.

tube517
07-15-2013, 01:08 PM
This shit will blow over once the season starts. Unless Maurkice's real name is Al Cowlings and a white bronco is found in Hernandez's possession

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

X-Terminator
07-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Meh. All it will take is him making a pancake block to spring Bell for a crucial TD in a big game.

Yeah, you're right. All is forgiven...as long as you win.

Dwinsgames
07-15-2013, 01:45 PM
In the eyes of the league, yes, he was considered a repeat offender. I don't agree with that decision. I have always maintained I did not agree with the suspension and the belief Ben is innocent.

I am trying to figure out who is setting the double standard. You think I am? The team? The league? When I read that, it sounded like you said the league was being hypocritical (since you mentioned the suspension).

I believe you are wrong on the bold as well if you are talking about what I said should happen ....

if you meant equal punishment IF we are considering this the same as Ben's situation but that has not been my stance from the onset the making them equal was your words all I said was if you make them equal you have to continue right down the line with the punishment phase as well

Chidi29
07-15-2013, 01:59 PM
I believe you are wrong on the bold as well if you are talking about what I said should happen ....

if you meant equal punishment IF we are considering this the same as Ben's situation but that has not been my stance from the onset the making them equal was your words all I said was if you make them equal you have to continue right down the line with the punishment phase as well

I said they're similar, not equal, and gave the reasons for their similarities. Used it to show why the team will not cut/suspend/not re-sign Pouncey.

- - - Updated - - -

I also don't believe Ben should have been suspended.

I do not believe Pouncey should be suspended by the league either.

Dwinsgames
07-15-2013, 02:43 PM
I said they're similar, not equal, and gave the reasons for their similarities. Used it to show why the team will not cut/suspend/not re-sign Pouncey.

- - - Updated - - -

I also don't believe Ben should have been suspended.

I do not believe Pouncey should be suspended by the league either.

we have a fundamentally different opinion on Pouncey / Ben similarities so I will leave that alone and agree to disagree ...

as for not resigning him over it , I think it remains to be seen what will happen on that front , I also think it will have a lot to do with the fan bases perspective moving forward , the organization has shown in the past to not resign guys that demonstrate attitudes contrary to the company line so to speak thus I see no reason why Pouncey would be any different ....

the list of guys let go , traded , not resigned after having to be " talked to " is a long one .... time will tell in terms of what they do and we may never know if or how much this effects the decisions moving forward but it is cause for pause IMO

Personally I would have zero issue with the organization if they traded him today provided they got fair compensation for him , I consider fair compensation for a guy that young with a few pro bowls under his belt and talk by many of him being potentially the best C in the league not named Mangold as a 1st and 3rd round pick ..... will that happen Probably not but I do not believe he is a lock for a new deal either ......

Chidi29
07-15-2013, 02:58 PM
we have a fundamentally different opinion on Pouncey / Ben similarities so I will leave that alone and agree to disagree ...

as for not resigning him over it , I think it remains to be seen what will happen on that front , I also think it will have a lot to do with the fan bases perspective moving forward , the organization has shown in the past to not resign guys that demonstrate attitudes contrary to the company line so to speak thus I see no reason why Pouncey would be any different ....

the list of guys let go , traded , not resigned after having to be " talked to " is a long one .... time will tell in terms of what they do and we may never know if or how much this effects the decisions moving forward but it is cause for pause IMO

Personally I would have zero issue with the organization if they traded him today provided they got fair compensation for him , I consider fair compensation for a guy that young with a few pro bowls under his belt and talk by many of him being potentially the best C in the league not named Mangold as a 1st and 3rd round pick ..... will that happen Probably not but I do not believe he is a lock for a new deal either ......

The guys who have gotten "talks" and then given the boot are usually guys who have had legal problems (Holmes). Pouncey isn't doing anything remotely close to illegal. Chalk it up to a young kid with a lot of money doing stupid things.

No way will they trade him. One in a million that happens.

steeldawg
07-15-2013, 04:33 PM
The guys who have gotten "talks" and then given the boot are usually guys who have had legal problems (Holmes). Pouncey isn't doing anything remotely close to illegal. Chalk it up to a young kid with a lot of money doing stupid things.

No way will they trade him. One in a million that happens.

No chance hes traded, we are not going to trade away one of the top young lineman in the game because of a hat. He's a 20 something with a lot of money I'm sure this wont be the last dumb thing he does.

zulater
07-15-2013, 05:15 PM
3. I think if it's true the Pouncey brothers wore hats with "FREE HERNANDEZ'' on the front, as Deadspin reported, some responsible person in their lives needs to have a long talk with them -- like, now. That's offensive bordering on the obscene. Disgraceful. Here's a man who, evidence shows, may very well have murdered someone. And they're either funning around with it or being ignorant. Either way, it's incredibly disrespectful to the memory of a dead man, Odin Lloyd.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130715/johnny-manziel-aaron-hernandez-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2Z9g2WxNp

Spike
07-15-2013, 05:18 PM
If this is our biggest "Offseason catastrophe" - then I'm OK with it

well, I'm not forgetting the Mike Adams stabbing - have we ever heard any new word on how he's doing?

Craic
07-15-2013, 05:43 PM
And the history rewrites continue.

This is much ado about nothing. As much as people have the right to voice their opinion about TM being innocent, or Zimmerman being innocent, they have the right to support their friend and former teammate. Not sure what the big deal is about it, except that it was a somewhat crass way of going about it, IMO.

BigNastyDefense
07-15-2013, 08:48 PM
I think it was stupid to do. There seems to be plenty of evidence mounted against Aaron Hernandez in the execution style murder of Odin Lloyd, a guy who considered himself a friend of Aaron Hernandez and was murdered for what seems to be simply talking to someone that Hernandez didn't like.

It was, in my opinion, in poor taste. I am sure that someone with the Steelers will talk to him and tell him that he needs to think about how something like that will affect how the team looks and how he looks.

It's one thing to show support for a friend and former teammate, to say that you're praying for him. It's another thing to even say that you hope that he's truly innocent of such a horrible crime. But to wear a hat that says "Free Hernandez," to me at least, says that you feel he's being wrongly accused and basically framed by the police.

blackngldblood
07-15-2013, 10:29 PM
If this is our biggest "Offseason catastrophe" - then I'm OK with it

well, I'm not forgetting the Mike Adams stabbing - have we ever heard any new word on how he's doing?

He won't answer my tweets, lol.......

Seven
07-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Ugh.

Chidi29
07-16-2013, 12:04 AM

This been posted yet?

Stating the obvious, but team-forced and maybe even team-written apology.

- - - Updated - - -

This been posted yet?

Stating the obvious, but team-forced and maybe even team-written apology.

venom
07-16-2013, 05:42 AM
Blind leading the blind

Dwinsgames
07-16-2013, 11:25 AM
pretty good article by a so so journalist ....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/whitlock-maurkice-mike-pouncey-free-hernandez-another-example-hip-hop-world-culture-corroding-071513

I am going to post this same link in another thread too because it fits so well

zulater
07-16-2013, 12:16 PM
pretty good article by a so so journalist ....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/whitlock-maurkice-mike-pouncey-free-hernandez-another-example-hip-hop-world-culture-corroding-071513

I am going to post this same link in another thread too because it fits so well

Excellent column. He nailed it! Thanks for sharing it dwins. :applaudit:

Dwinsgames
07-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Excellent column. He nailed it! Thanks for sharing it dwins. :applaudit:

yes he did nail it IMO

86WARD
07-16-2013, 01:47 PM
It's a hat. Cut him? Don't give him another contract? LMAO. Sorry...that's just dumb. Thank GIF those "opinions" don't run in the front office. At that rate the Steelers would have Dennis Dixon caliber QB taking snaps from a Sean Mahan caliber center.

Count Steeler
07-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Did Mike apologize or only Maurkice?

Just checked the web, no apology from Mike yet. Interesting.

zulater
07-16-2013, 03:49 PM
It's a hat. Cut him? Don't give him another contract? LMAO. Sorry...that's just dumb. Thank GIF those "opinions" don't run in the front office. At that rate the Steelers would have Dennis Dixon caliber QB taking snaps from a Sean Mahan caliber center.

Yeah that's what Falcons fans said about Mike vick for the longest time too. It was just a bong at the airport, he just flipped off some fans, etc... Those incidents didn't have any deeper meaning or reval anything about Mike's lack of maturity, character, or intelligence.

Except that they did as time would prove out.

86WARD
07-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Because that's the case with every player...lol.

zulater
07-27-2013, 06:12 AM
Pouncey submitted a written public apology for wearing a "Free Hernandez" ballcap along with his twin brother Mike at an early 24th birthday party two weeks ago in Florida. Friday, he apologized again personally in front of a gaggle of media outside the Rooney Hall dormitory.
"You know what, man, I understand it was a serious situation," Pouncey said shortly after he arrived. "I apologized if I offended anybody. I'm here to play football; let's move off from that. I know I took a lot of heat for it and I probably should have. I understand what happened, and it's pretty cool now. Let things blow away."
Pouncey said coach Mike Tomlin has talked to him about it, but he would not say if he has talked to Hernandez.
"You know what? That's between me and him; I don't want to get into that at all," Pouncey said.
He said he chose to apologize again because "just manning up to the things you do is always important in any manner, any position in life."
"I think I came out here and did that, apologized again in front of everybody and I think it will mean a lot to everybody in Pittsburgh and all around the country."
Mike Pouncey has not issued any kind of apology, written or otherwise, for his visual support of Hernandez.
"His team handled the situation a lot different than what we did," Maurkice said. "I'm pretty sure Mike wanted to apologize, but that's how his team handled it. It's pretty cool."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/no-double-talk-maurkice-pouncey-offers-apology-message-697093/#ixzz2aF8tBjJk

Nice job Maukice. This is the way to put it behind you once and for all. :applaudit: