PDA

View Full Version : All 22: Bread and Butter of the Run Game

Chidi29
07-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Taking a look at the Steelers' Power O.

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/all-22-bread-and-butter-of-the-run-game/

GBMelBlount
07-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Even if the Steelers do implement a lot more zone blocking under Bicknell, anticipate the team still using some Power O

Do all of our starting linemen have the mobility for this to be highly effective.

Regardless, I would think that using more zone blocking can also make the power O more effective.

Chidi29
07-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Do all of our starting linemen have the mobility for this to be highly effective.

Regardless, I would think that using more zone blocking can also make the power O more effective.

Overall, I think they do. Gilbert is extremely athletic. Adams, even though he's still struggling laterally in pass protection, isn't the big, lumbering Max Starks type. He can chip and get to the second level. Pouncey is an obvious yes. Jury is still out on DeCastro and even though you could argue he's best in a man scheme, ideally he's good enough to work in either. Foster is probably the weakest of the bunch.

Power O and zone blocking are two different schemes. Power O is a man scheme like shown. Zone blocking is different in that you don't block specific lineman. Who base blocks and doubles are determined by what lineman are covered or uncovered. If say, the C and RG are both covered by two DL, they base (solo) block. If the RG is covered and the C uncovered and the play is being run to the right side, the C doubles with the RG. And then usually one moves to the second level to take on the linebacker.

The link in the first sentence of the article talks a little more about ZBS.

Dwinsgames
07-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Overall, I think they do. Gilbert is extremely athletic. Adams, even though he's still struggling laterally in pass protection, isn't the big, lumbering Max Starks type. He can chip and get to the second level. Pouncey is an obvious yes. Jury is still out on DeCastro and even though you could argue he's best in a man scheme, ideally he's good enough to work in either. Foster is probably the weakest of the bunch.

Power O and zone blocking are two different schemes. Power O is a man scheme like shown. Zone blocking is different in that you don't block specific lineman. Who base blocks and doubles are determined by what lineman are covered or uncovered. If say, the C and RG are both covered by two DL, they base (solo) block. If the RG is covered and the C uncovered and the play is being run to the right side, the C doubles with the RG. And then usually one moves to the second level to take on the linebacker.

The link in the first sentence of the article talks a little more about ZBS.

pretty good description ...well done

as a side note Calling Foster the weak link should not be considered IMO a knock on Foster because he moves pretty well for a big man .... not sure how well he will do being asked to block 10 yards down field but in a short area he does pretty well ( he pulls decent enough ) so he can move decent in 5 yard clips we will have to see moving forward how well he handles it

Chidi29
07-10-2013, 01:20 AM
pretty good description ...well done

as a side note Calling Foster the weak link should not be considered IMO a knock on Foster because he moves pretty well for a big man .... not sure how well he will do being asked to block 10 yards down field but in a short area he does pretty well ( he pulls decent enough ) so he can move decent in 5 yard clips we will have to see moving forward how well he handles it

I'm not trying to slight him. I love Foster and it's a testament to how much the team thinks of him by essentially choosing Willie Colon over him. Ramon has arguably been our most dependable lineman and he's a solid player even if he'll never make a Pro Bowl.

I think he's just an average trap blocker and probably a little less athletic than your assessment of him. But it's really splitting hairs.

Wonder if they still do plan on using some Power O if they'll eventually move DeCastro to LG? Just a thought.

Dwinsgames
07-10-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm not trying to slight him. I love Foster and it's a testament to how much the team thinks of him by essentially choosing Willie Colon over him. Ramon has arguably been our most dependable lineman and he's a solid player even if he'll never make a Pro Bowl.

I think he's just an average trap blocker and probably a little less athletic than your assessment of him. But it's really splitting hairs.

Wonder if they still do plan on using some Power O if they'll eventually move DeCastro to LG? Just a thought.

did not think you where trying to slight him , after all someone has to be the weakest link all linemen are not created equal