PDA

View Full Version : Even further reduced suspension for Ben possible. only 2-3 games?

tony hipchest
08-05-2010, 10:41 AM
http://hosted2.ap.org/PAGRE/f116de0e9b7a4c65ac01a7f72c6cdf42/Article_2010-08-05-FBN-Goodell-Roethlisberger/id-1a9fb9e98f6343d8adc9d10babca64fb

Goodell won't decide whether to trim the suspension from six to four games until the end of the month. For the second day in a row, he praised Roethlisberger's steps to reshape his life, saying he has gone beyond what the NFL asked him to do.
Goodell was vague when asked several times if there was a possibility Roethlisberger's suspension could be reduced below four games. Goodell said the punishment was designed to be a minimum of four games but no final decision will be made until the preseason ends.

tony hipchest
08-05-2010, 10:42 AM
i am almost in shock he would even entertain the question. it seems pretty evident ben has had the shit scared out of him, and definitely seems humbled and contrite.

keep your fingers crossed.

vrabinec
08-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Hmmm, sure would be nice to have Bennie back for game 4 against Baltimore at least.

Nadroj 20
08-05-2010, 11:05 AM
He might be realizing how unfair Ben's suspension is when you compare it to players that are not getting ONE game suspensions like Vince Young, Cedric Benson and Mike Vick.

Based on his logic behind Bens total of games each of those players should have got at least one game for "embarassing the shield"

Texasteel
08-05-2010, 11:13 AM
I hope it does happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath. That would take Goodell to turn into an intelligent human, and neither is likely to happen.

steel striker
08-05-2010, 11:23 AM
It would be nice to see but, I would not hold my breath.

vader29
08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
That would take Goodell to turn into an intelligent human, and neither is likely to happen.

Even if he wiped out the suspension completely he would still be the worst commissioner of all of the professional sports leagues.

Devilsdancefloor
08-05-2010, 11:28 AM
it will not be reduced to under 4 goodell just doesnt want it to be.

SteelMember
08-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I'd just like the open-ended "variable" gone.

We've all been hoping that it gets reduced to at least 4... anything else would be gravy at this point.

Animal Mother
08-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm mad. I'm so mad that fans don't know, Ben doesn't know, Tomlin doesn't know, NO ONE knows what the final suspension will be. It's absolute BULLSH1T that Goodell, by himself, determines suspensions and it's absolute BULLSH1T he doesn't know what the final amount of games is going to be. Goodell is a piece of crap. The fact we are even DEBATING what the final amount of games is unbelievable! He either should or shouldn't be suspended and the number of games should be fixed.

I weep for the NFL while douchebag is commissioner.

Steely McSmash
08-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm also surprised that he didn't shoot that down. I think it will be 4. Nice to have the bye week to get in tune. Unless BR does something stupid or some other past actions surface, I can't see him sticking with 6.

I'd love to hear the Ravens cry about it being reduced to 3. That might be the best part.

Killer
08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
2 games! 2 games! 2 games!

If it happens I take full credit for it.

who's your daddy?

Could Roethlisberger's suspension be fewer than 4 games?

Goodell talks to quarterback, reporters

Thursday, August 05, 2010
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell spoke to reporters this morning at Steelers training camp and appeared to leave the door open that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's suspension could be fewer than four games.

When asked if there was any chance Roethlisberger's suspension could be fewer than four games, Goodell responded: "I'll make that decision later this month, but that's the way it was designed. We'll evaluate all of that at the end of the month."

When he was asked to clarify whether the suspension could be fewer than four games, Goodell was vague: "We'll make that decision on what the suspension is going to be at the end of the month."

venom
08-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Like I said before , WARN AND ADMONISH !!!

polamalubeast
08-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I hope that his suspension will be lower than 4.

The steelers will be even more hated by the Ravens!

Wallace108
08-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Well, I guess that's that ....

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell spoke to reporters this morning at Steelers training camp and appeared to leave the door open that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's suspension could be fewer than four games. But a spokesman from the NFL in New York later clarified that the suspension will be four games at minimum.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10217/1077941-100.stm#ixzz0vkjvAUwZ

hotrodder07
08-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Wow. I really didn't expect it to go lower than 4. The fact that he didn't shoot it down right away is shocking to me. Interesting...

smokin3000gt
08-05-2010, 12:29 PM
I think if you want to suspend a player then fine do it but don't take him out of divisional games over a "Make an example" policy!

SteelCityMan786
08-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I am not holding my breath, but if he does drop his suspension down, it won't stun me if it gets cut down to 2 or even cut completely. That depends upon if Roger isn't being Roger.

WindyCitySteelerFan
08-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Why is it that the suspension couldn't count during the first 4 preseason games? That's what they've done in the past (ala Michael Vick, Brandon Marshall )

I still think its unfair that someone who was neither arrested, nor charged with any crime whatsoever be penalized, when other NFL players are arrested and charged with crimes, are getting less suspension time, or their suspension counts during the preseason.

I understand the tarnish to the NFL, but I think that given the stain on Roethlisbergers reputation, through a brutal media witch hunt, a four game preseason suspension is more than enough.

I think the Steelers as an organization should be challenging this, asking Mr. Goodell for the 4 game suspension reduction, and that it should count during the 4 game preseason. I think that is a reasonable request, giving the circumstances.

Chidi29
08-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Why is it that the suspension couldn't count during the first 4 preseason games? That's what they've done in the past (ala Michael Vick, Brandon Marshall )

Pretty sure that's never happened before.

Chidi29
08-05-2010, 12:55 PM
As some others have said, it'd be a bad idea to reduce the suspension to less than four games. As much as I disagree with the decision, Goodell needs to make a choice and stand by it. You can't look like a pushover.

WindyCitySteelerFan
08-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Pretty sure that's never happened before.

Well, time to do some research, because I gave you two examples already.. LOL... Vick and Marshal.

Tank Johnson and Packman Jones are two more that had suspensions counted during the preseason, just off the top of my head.....

Santanio Holmes is enduring preseason suspension right now.

Nadroj 20
08-05-2010, 01:09 PM

I still think its unfair that someone who was neither arrested, nor charged with any crime whatsoever be penalized, when other NFL players are arrested and charged with crimes, are getting less suspension time, or their suspension counts during the preseason.

I understand the tarnish to the NFL, but I think that given the stain on Roethlisbergers reputation, through a brutal media witch hunt, a four game preseason suspension is more than enough.

I think the Steelers as an organization should be challenging this, asking Mr. Goodell for the 4 game suspension reduction, and that it should count during the 4 game preseason. I think that is a reasonable request, giving the circumstances.

I know Vick was able to play during the preseason and the suspension wasnt until the regular season. He played in the final 2.

stillers4me
08-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Well, time to do some research, because I gave you two examples already.. LOL... Vick and Marshal.

Tank Johnson and Packman Jones are two more that had suspensions counted during the preseason, just off the top of my head.....

Santonio is training camp now. He missed the first few days because of his son's surgery.

http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/showthread.php?1765-Holmes-Arrives-at-Camp-Immediately-Impresses-(son-had-surgury-for-sickle-cell)

Chidi29
08-05-2010, 01:17 PM

I looked up Marshall before I said anything, just to make sure. He was suspended for one game in 2008 and missed Week 1 of the regular season.

Holmes is not enduring preseason suspension. A suspension means that you can't be with the team. Holmes is with the team.

BuddhaBus
08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
As some others have said, it'd be a bad idea to reduce the suspension to less than four games. As much as I disagree with the decision, Goodell needs to make a choice and stand by it. You can't look like a pushover.

He already looks like a pushover for letting the other aforementioned players with off the field issues go without ANY punishment. I hope this softening stance and repeated praise for going above and beyond DOES translate into a sub-four game suspension. Any credibility Goodell's conduct policies had are officially null and void with the non-punishment of the other CHARGED players. It's a joke now anyway. Letting Ben off easier at this point is not going to do any more harm to the "shield" than has already been done, but it sure as hell does a lot of harm to the Steelers chances this season. I'm certainly NOT holding my breath though.

Psycho Ward 86
08-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Everyone already knows he's a puscake who doesnt know what he's doing. Wouldnt hurt his image already more than he already has himself.

Kaeg
08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
I was gonna say something about "Not holding my breath", but I see that's been covered already. :D
Anyway, I think I would not be satisfied to have it cut to 4 games, but I guess I would have to say "relieved". At this point, I just don't know WHAT to expect from Goodell. I just hope he considers the feedback he must be hearing about all these other players being CHARGED with crimes and not getting ANY discipline.

SMR
08-05-2010, 06:18 PM
He already looks like a pushover for letting the other aforementioned players with off the field issues go without ANY punishment. I hope this softening stance and repeated praise for going above and beyond DOES translate into a sub-four game suspension. Any credibility Goodell's conduct policies had are officially null and void with the non-punishment of the other CHARGED players. It's a joke now anyway. Letting Ben off easier at this point is not going to do any more harm to the "shield" than has already been done, but it sure as hell does a lot of harm to the Steelers chances this season. I'm certainly NOT holding my breath though.

Man, I'd to say this, but you took the same words of mine and made it yours before I could say it.

BigNastyDefense
08-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Getting it reduced to less than four games would be awesome, but I don't think it will happen.

Crow-Magnon
08-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I made a post a couple of months ago (here....or on that other site) that I believed that if Roethlisberger kept his nose clean, Goodell may well reduce his suspension to 2 or 3 games in order for Ben to be under center in Week 4.

I still believe that. Frankly, I'd prefer it that way.

Butch
08-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Sorry to rain on the parade but come on people look where he's at. He's in the burgh do you think he in any way wants to rile the crowd??? Better to offer hope and get out with his skin than to risk a riot. He didn't answer the question because he knew it would give us all hope. I for one aint buyin' it. Remember who this is it aint Pete it's Go To Hell Godell. The official NFL answer is he will serve at least 4 games and roger was able to walk away looking like a beacon of hope. This is the same guy who burned the evidence that showed the cheats robbed us of playing on a level field in a championship playoff game.

Go To Hell Roger Godell!!!

st33lersguy
08-05-2010, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed at 6 games

zulater
08-05-2010, 10:56 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10217/1077941-100.stm

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell spoke to reporters this morning at Steelers training camp and appeared to leave the door open that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's suspension could be fewer than four games. But a spokesman from the NFL in New York later clarified that the suspension will be four games at minimum.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10217/1077941-100.stm#ixzz0vnL6hek9

Sorry Tony, 4 game minimum. But I think it's fairly evident that as long as Ben continues to behave himself the 4 games is all it will be.

WindyCitySteelerFan
08-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Can't we at least dream ?

BuddhaBus
08-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Can't we at least dream ?

Yeah! Stop pissing in our Cheerios, fellas! :buttkick: :chuckle:

Wallace108
08-05-2010, 11:34 PM
I guess everyone has me on ignore (from page 2) :heh:

Well, I guess that's that ....

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10217...#ixzz0vkjvAUwZ

tony hipchest
08-06-2010, 12:35 AM
i knew the 4 games was a minimum baseline, but goodell's waffling douchbaggery gave me a slight glimmer of hope.:pray:

i guess that is what happens when he is allowed to remove his lips from jerry jones and robert krafts balls long enough to speak. :baby:

(jim wexell had it right, and im glad he called it as it was)