PDA

View Full Version : Pirates’ Burnett to skip rehab assignment, pitch Sunday in Chicago

stillers4me
07-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Right-hander A.J. Burnett, who hasn't pitched since June 8 in Chicago, will start Sunday's game against the Cubs.
Burnett went on the disabled list June 13, retroactive to June 9, with a right calf strain. Because the injury wasn't to his throwing arm, neither Burnett nor the Pirates saw the need to send him on a rehab assignment.

“I've been throwing. My arm's in shape,” Burnett said. “I did a lot of stuff at home last week, a lot of (pitchers' fielding practice) and a lot of agility and passed every test.”.........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4297896-74/burnett-game-hander#ixzz2YHN86zBs

X-Terminator
07-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Hopefully he picks right up where he left off in his last start against the Cubs. This may also be a blessing in disguise, because his arm should be fresher late in the season. Same for Wandy (assuming he's able to come back in early August), Liriano and Morton (who didn't start the season until May and June, respectively).

steelerdude15
07-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Hopefully he picks right up where he left off in his last start against the Cubs. This may also be a blessing in disguise, because his arm should be fresher late in the season. Same for Wandy (assuming he's able to come back in early August), Liriano and Morton (who didn't start the season until May and June, respectively).

You made a really good point. If you do think about it, our pitching collapsed the past two years and fatigue played a role in that. So, hopefully with the rest our starters having been able to get rest, even though its been because of injury, they should be fresher and should be able to go farther into the season without a possible collapse.