PDA

View Full Version : Jones could start

Dwinsgames
06-30-2013, 11:29 AM
During minicamp earlier this month, the thought process was that the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT), as is generally their modus operandi, would bring rookie outside linebacker Jarvis Jones (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jarvis-jones?id=2540137) along slowly (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000211811/article/pittsburgh-steelers-bringing-jarvis-jones-along-slowly).
However, according to Len Pasquarelli, writing for the National Football Post this Sunday (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-2764.html), the rookie could overtake fourth-year pro Jason Worilds (http://www.nfl.com/player/jasonworilds/496887/profile) for the starting gig on the right side of the 3-4 defense.
Jones is unlike most Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) defensive rookies in that he already is familiar with playing linebacker, while most of Pittsburgh's recent draft picks were moved from defensive end to linebacker for the first time -- think LaMarr Woodley
(http://www.nfl.com/player/lamarrwoodley/2507173/profile)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000215581/article/jarvis-jones-might-start-as-pittsburgh-steelers-rookie

st33lersguy
06-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Whoever looks more impressive in preseason should start

Dwinsgames
06-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Whoever looks more impressive in preseason should start

I agree and have always been a believer in whomever shows the most skill should be the one who makes the field , forget how much money they make or how many years of service they have ... most talented gets on the field

KeiselPower99
06-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Honestly I think Worilds starts week 1 but Jones gets to show what he can do. Itll be a 1a 1b kinda rotation.

tube517
06-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Honestly I think Worilds starts week 1 but Jones gets to show what he can do. Itll be a 1a 1b kinda rotation.

This

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

86WARD
06-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Pretty dumb article.

Craic
07-01-2013, 03:53 AM
I agree and have always been a believer in whomever shows the most skill should be the one who makes the field , forget how much money they make or how many years of service they have ... most talented gets on the field

Talent doesn't win games. I'd rather have hard-working players that have little talent, but have put the hours in to learn the skills. Honestly, I think Hines Ward is more of the latter than the former, while Plaxico was the former, rather than the latter. If you had those two to choose from in midcareer, which one would you pick.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that Ward has no talent. I'm saying that if "talent" alone is what got someone on a field, he would have never started for us.

Steeldude
07-01-2013, 05:54 AM
All starting jobs should be earned.

What if Jones and Worilds light it up while Woodley struggles?

Seven
07-01-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't buy it. Worilds should get his shot. Where would we be had we handed Timmons the job when Porter left instead of allowing Harrison to play? I'm not saying if Jones doesn't destroy Worilds before week one he shouldn't be able to win the job, but I don't believe he'll be THAT much better in practice. No need to rush things.

Texasteel
07-01-2013, 11:09 AM
The Steelers do not just hand a job to a player because he was a high pick. If Jones wins the starting job its because the team thinks he is best for the job. I do wonder though, like Steeldude stated, what kind of job Jones could do on the left side, should we need someone to step in.

Pristas
07-01-2013, 12:43 PM
3rd Down. Worilds is big, and if he can't cover as fast and effectively as Jones, then Jones could in fact take the starting spot.

It all comes down to the player's ability to cover. You can't compare the "game" of Worilds and Jones. They have two different body types. Worilds is build like James Harrison. He's more of a bull rusher. Jones will use his quickness to get to the QB. He has a vicious rip and punch move. I like Worilds, but he couldn't beat out a limping Woodley last season. I doubt he will beat out Jones, as long as Jones A. Understands the Defense and B. Can play on 3rd down effectively.

I'm routing for Jones. I'd love to see the guy excel in the NFL. I'm ready for a guy with a nose for the QB, who is quick and smart.

Count Steeler
07-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Also hoping we hear some noise from Adrian Robinson in TC. Could be the diamond in the rough that we need.

Pristas
07-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Also hoping we hear some noise from Adrian Robinson in TC. Could be the diamond in the rough that we need.

Absolutely! I have only heard great things about him. When I hear Butler talk it's always praise for Robinson, but warnings for Worilds.

HollywoodSteel
07-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Dwins has made this point before, and I believe it's a good one, that Jones has a leg up because he is already familiar with playing OLB in a 3-4 defense. But the article misses the point a bit saying that our high pick LBs are generally converted DEs. That's true for outside backers like Woodley and Worilds, but our inside backers aren't converted D-linemen. Timmons sat behind Foote even though he clearly had more talent. But that seems to be because our defensive scheme is tough for all new linebackers to pick up quickly, not just converted DEs. But the 4-3 to 3-4 argument still seems valid. I assume Timmons played middle in a 4-3 in college. Is that the case?

HollywoodSteel
07-01-2013, 03:51 PM
I guess Timmons played OLB in college, but I assume this was in a 4-3. Either way he was learning a slightly new position and he didn't have a lot of experience in college either. I think he only started one season before entering the draft. Maybe Jones is a whole different animal that can't be judged by our past tendencies to let LBs sit for a year.

Steeldude
07-01-2013, 04:51 PM
3rd Down. Worilds is big, and if he can't cover as fast and effectively as Jones, then Jones could in fact take the starting spot.

It all comes down to the player's ability to cover. You can't compare the "game" of Worilds and Jones. They have two different body types. Worilds is build like James Harrison. He's more of a bull rusher. Jones will use his quickness to get to the QB. He has a vicious rip and punch move. I like Worilds, but he couldn't beat out a limping Woodley last season. I doubt he will beat out Jones, as long as Jones A. Understands the Defense and B. Can play on 3rd down effectively.

I'm routing for Jones. I'd love to see the guy excel in the NFL. I'm ready for a guy with a nose for the QB, who is quick and smart.

Jones isn't exactly a speed demon.

Since when do the Steelers replace veterans in the starting lineup? Harrison should have replaced Porter earlier on, but they kept Porter in. Look at Hampton. He should have been benched or cut 3 years ago.

I saw no real drop-off with Worilds in for Woodley.

KeiselPower99
07-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Worilds is more comfortable at the left side and has said so. Im hoping for good things from Woodley this year.

Dwinsgames
07-01-2013, 07:24 PM

the tape says otherwise , the 40 time sucks but if he has to chase someone 40 yards we have bigger troubles

Pristas
07-01-2013, 08:45 PM

What's more important, how quickly he bursts out of the gate, or his 40 time? He has great burst speed. Slow 40 time. How many yards is it to a QB from OLB, 5? maybe 6 yards?

I hope that Worilds was as good as a Woodley... with a High Ankle Sprain. Otherwise he shouldn't even be on the team.

Either way, I'm happy. If Worilds proves to be better than a 1st rounder and keeps him benched, great! I'm looking forward to the competition.

GBMelBlount
07-01-2013, 10:08 PM

Since when do the Steelers replace veterans in the starting lineup? Harrison should have replaced Porter earlier on, but they kept Porter in. Look at Hampton. He should have been benched or cut 3 years ago.

I saw no real drop-off with Worilds in for Woodley.

Jones' transition to a 3-4 OLB in the NFL may not be very difficult.

...and as Pristas said, if Worilds plays well enough to earn the starting position then good for him.

Tommy8Gun
07-03-2013, 08:36 PM
I am not opposed to Jones starting this fall. I think if anything it would be good for him to win a starting role. It will come down to how he plays in camp versus his teammates. I know Colbert and the Rooneys came out and said they do not expect Jones to start, but we'll see what happens...

dae5446
07-04-2013, 10:01 PM
I feel that as long as he is not a liability in the passing game (which as we know the league has moved towards) he should have a chance. I get that most rookies sit for a year plus, but has any one else noticed around the league first year players stepping in and making solid contributions at just about every position?

With the way the college game is developing/advancing I think we will soon expect all first/second round picks to contribute immediately especially with the salary cap.