PDA

View Full Version : All 22: Dick LeBeau’s Zone Blitz

Chidi29
06-24-2013, 02:23 PM
The majority of our All 22 articles have been devoted to breaking down offenses. But when it comes to Pittsburgh, one of the first things to come to mind is Dick LeBeau’s famous zone blitz. He isn’t the father of the concept but can be credited with perfecting the scheme.

Today, we’ll travel back to Week Four versus the Eagles on a play where the zone blitz worked as well as LeBeau could have drawn up in his 40 years of coaching..........

Read more from Chidi @ http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/all-22-dick-lebeaus-zone-blitz/

Shoes
06-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Very nice, Chidi!

Chidi29
06-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks Shoes!

Steeltreal
06-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Who calls the ILB flip when the QB is a lefty, Foote or Dick? Or Foote just flows to the stromgside

Chidi29
06-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Who calls the ILB flip when the QB is a lefty, Foote or Dick? Or Foote just flows to the stromgside

I imagine that's part of the week's preparation. So LeBeau.

Steeltreal
06-24-2013, 09:25 PM
I think Timmons A game is hitting the gaps, if McClendon takes another step forward it makes him more dangerous. Also think with Gay returning he brings more variety with zone blitz. Those Corners were timid on the rush from what I remember. Hardly rewatched any games but for a Def with only 1 question mark , at ROLB , should be another strong Defensive season

Chidi29
06-24-2013, 09:28 PM
I think Timmons A game is hitting the gaps, if McClendon takes another step forward it makes him more dangerous. Also think with Gay returning he brings more variety with zone blitz. Those Corners were timid on the rush from what I remember. Hardly rewatched any games but for a Def with only 1 question mark , at ROLB , should be another strong Defensive season

Know there's a lot of debate about Timmons. I still see him as a quality player with top notch athleticism. Especially compared to how slow Foote his, Timmons is very valuabe even if he didn't really have many splash plays last year (what Steeler did?).

McClendon still an unknown to me. Liked what I've seen but the number of snaps are limited. Does he have Issac Redman syndrome? Does well with fresh legs and limited snaps but regresses in a full-time role? We'll find out this year.

I've always thought Gay got too much flack. Solid corner for LeBeau's scheme and definitely important to be at least three deep at corner, preferably more. But better Gay than Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian, or Terry Hawthorne.

Dwinsgames
06-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Know there's a lot of debate about Timmons. I still see him as a quality player with top notch athleticism. Especially compared to how slow Foote his, Timmons is very valuabe even if he didn't really have many splash plays last year (what Steeler did?).

McClendon still an unknown to me. Liked what I've seen but the number of snaps are limited. Does he have Issac Redman syndrome? Does well with fresh legs and limited snaps but regresses in a full-time role? We'll find out this year.

I've always thought Gay got too much flack. Solid corner for LeBeau's scheme and definitely important to be at least three deep at corner, preferably more. But better Gay than Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian, or Terry Hawthorne.

I do not " disagree " with anything you said here , however I think Timmons gets " all world credit status " when in fact he is a very athletic LB that does not necessarily get everything he should on the field out of all that athleticism ....

a few things could be reasons why he fails to be all he can be ...

1) he is not very instinctive

OR

2) he sticks to the script even when he could make a play by freelancing a bit and using that athleticism

I am not interested in debating it to be honest I am just not that enamored with him as a player enough to invest the time or the effort .....

at the end of the day I think he is given to much credit , that does not make him a lousy player just an over rated one

Chidi29
06-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. He didn't play to his ceiling last year. But he was also out of position last year with the slew of injuries at OLB which is going to limit anyone from growing.

HollywoodSteel
06-25-2013, 01:08 PM

I like having Gay as the #3 corner. That's when he was at his best a few years ago. It's when he stepped up into the #2 spot that he floundered. What do you think about our #2 spot now? I'm a little concerned with the loss of Lewis.

Chidi29
06-25-2013, 01:29 PM
I like having Gay as the #3 corner. That's when he was at his best a few years ago. It's when he stepped up into the #2 spot that he floundered. What do you think about our #2 spot now? I'm a little concerned with the loss of Lewis.

It all comes down to whether or not Allen really takes that next step forward. He was as good as Ike IMO the last few weeks of last season and that isn't a slight against Taylor.

Don't forget that Allen didn't come into the league a polished, experienced player even by a draftee's standards. He went to a military school and didn't get to devote nearly as much time to football, something that was said as soon as he was drafted. Now he's able to do so and is of course progressing very quickly. Hopefully he can keep on that track.

Also have read Allen will move to the slot on 3rd downs to be able to cover bigger TEs and press slot receivers.