PDA

View Full Version : Steelers draft pick Shamarko Thomas fulfilling goal as the 'chosen one'

stillers4me
06-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Until then, at his mother's funeral, Shamarko Thomas hadn't been able to cry. Thomas, one of the hardest-hitting safeties in college football, had been able to hold back the tears, his confusion and anger blocking the path to grief.

The tears could have come while he was sitting at home in Virginia Beach a day after getting that phone call, scrolling through his mother's cell phone to try to catch a glimpse into the last moments of Ebeth Shabazz's life. They could have come the next day, when Thomas, then 20, went to the courthouse with his grandmother to claim dual custody of his five younger siblings, ages 5 to 17, despite the fact that he had two more years left at Syracuse as one of the best defensive players in the Big East Conference.

Or, they could have come at any point while contemplating his future, unsure whether he should go back to Syracuse or stay in Virginia to try to get a job and take care of his family............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-draft-pick-shamarko-thomas-fulfilling-goal-as-the-chosen-one-692919/#ixzz2X8N5jUrI

Dwinsgames
06-24-2013, 07:28 AM
dam good read thanks for linking it !

NJarhead
06-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Agree. Amazing young man.

tube517
06-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Our local Steelers group is trying to get him to come to one of our rallies but it would probably be real difficult. Va beach is proud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

cold-hard-steel
06-24-2013, 12:09 PM
When given a chance to be a part of a franchise with the legacy this team has , being a young man and a chance to be a part of this thing , i would be proud too .
To be talked about in the same sentences as names like , Blount , Woodson , Lake , Taylor , Troy , and the list goes on and on . Safety or corner , he has a right to feel pumped up . It's his life he has the control to whatever level he wants to go . Me , i wish him a long line of success !!!!!!!

Psycho Ward 86
06-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Damn. To me, he can pan out to absolutely nothing as a player and he has still been a sensational inspiration

Texasteel
06-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Thomas was a player I thought was a must get for us. I'm very happy we got him. The only knock on him, that I've seen, is his size at 5'9", yet he is only 1" shorter than Matt Elam who everyone was raving about on draft day. Take into account that his vertical is a full 5" more than Elam, and his 10 yard time is just over a half a second faster than Elam, I think we may have the better SS. We will have to wait and see. My only concern is that he is such a hard hitter that the league may start out watching him closely for roughing calls.

NJarhead
06-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Damn. To me, he can pan out to absolutely nothing as a player and he has still been a sensational inspirationWell said. I'd have to agree.

Chidi29
06-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Wow, fantastic article.

st33lersguy
06-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Amazing man

Craic
06-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Thomas was a player I thought was a must get for us. I'm very happy we got him. The only knock on him, that I've seen, is his size at 5'9", yet he is only 1" shorter than Matt Elam who everyone was raving about on draft day. Take into account that his vertical is a full 5" more than Elam, and his 10 yard time is just over a half a second faster than Elam, I think we may have the better SS. We will have to wait and see. My only concern is that he is such a hard hitter that the league may start out watching him closely for roughing calls.

If he pans out, I think he's going to be a steal.

Don't worry about the roughing calls. The only time he'll get called for that is if he starts headhunting or going in with the crown of the helmet. That's what they've been calling for the last few years, so it won't change now.

GBMelBlount
06-24-2013, 10:17 PM
If he pans out, I think he's going to be a steal.

I agree.

He has amazing desire and physicality.

My favorite pick.

cold-hard-steel
06-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Over here in Gettysburg , or should i say "Gettysburgh " We think somewhat different from you all . This man has got the chance to take his whole life to another level . Whats not to like ? Life is a gamble , but you are the one that makes the choices .

NJarhead
06-25-2013, 12:08 PM
When given a chance to be a part of a franchise with the legacy this team has , being a young man and a chance to be a part of this thing , i would be proud too .
To be talked about in the same sentences as names like , Blount , Woodson , Lake , Taylor , Troy , and the list goes on and on . Safety or corner , he has a right to feel pumped up . It's his life he has the control to whatever level he wants to go . Me , i wish him a long line of success !!!!!!!

Over here in Gettysburg , or should i say "Gettysburgh " We think somewhat different from you all . This man has got the chance to take his whole life to another level . Whats not to like ? Life is a gamble , but you are the one that makes the choices .
I'm curious, did you read the article or are you just commenting on the headline?

cold-hard-steel
06-25-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm curious, did you read the article or are you just commenting on the headline?

Commenting on the headlines sir .

NJarhead
06-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Commenting on the headlines sir . Okay, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks CHS. If you haven't though, you should read the article. It's a good one.

Devilsdancefloor
06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
i really think we have a diamond in the rough with this guy, plus he is going to earn from 2 of the best in the business. not only does he have talent he has a ton of heart

steelerdude15
06-25-2013, 06:02 PM
This was an excellent article. I'm a big fan of Shamarko now.

tube517
07-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Thomas was at the local mall in VA Beach, VA and my Steel Blood of Hampton Roads peeps were there in full force ( I had to work).

He will be at Tomlin's 5th Annual Gridiron Legends Tailgate (w/Plax) in Hampton, VA on Thu July 11:

http://2013gridirontailgatewithmiketomlin-ehometext.eventbrite.com/?rank=0

Dwinsgames
07-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Thomas was at the local mall in VA Beach, VA and my Steel Blood of Hampton Roads peeps were there in full force ( I had to work).

He will be at Tomlin's 5th Annual Gridiron Legends Tailgate (w/Plax) in Hampton, VA on Thu July 11:

http://2013gridirontailgatewithmiketomlin-ehometext.eventbrite.com/?rank=0

this thread has been dead for a little while and when I seen new activity I immediately cringed thinking there was some bad news , auto accident slip and fall on stairs or something ... thank goodness it was just a fear and not a reality