PDA

View Full Version : Cole’s stay could end with Burnett’s return

stillers4me
06-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Rookie Gerrit Cole is in the Pirates' starting rotation, and Jeanmar Gomez is ready rejoin it. But there's a good chance neither right-hander will be there in another week or two.

Gomez (strained forearm) will come off the disabled list Wednesday and start against the Seattle Mariners. The Pirates are off Thursday, so Cole's next start will be pushed back to Friday at PNC Park against the Milwaukee Brewers.

Manager Clint Hurdle did not reveal any more about the rotation beyond that. But it is likely Gomez and Cole will depart the rotation when Wandy Rodriguez and A.J. Burnett are ready to return..................

Read more @ http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4212534-74/pirates-cole-sanchez#axzz2X34uR2WW

Borski
06-24-2013, 01:18 PM
They probably want to avoid Super 2 on Cole. I'm sure if he goes down he will be back up before the end of the year. He has excelled so far but still needs a bit of work of some of his offspeed stuff.

Chidi29
06-24-2013, 02:13 PM
They probably want to avoid Super 2 on Cole. I'm sure if he goes down he will be back up before the end of the year. He has excelled so far but still needs a bit of work of some of his offspeed stuff.

The Super 2 deadline has passed already so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Just a numbers crunch and Cole is the only one we can send down.

steelerdude15
06-25-2013, 05:58 PM
The Super 2 deadline has passed already so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Just a numbers crunch and Cole is the only one we can send down.

It makes the most sense really. Gerrit still needs to work on his command a little more and he even acknowledged it himself in an interview. Plus, I believe the only two pitchers with options are Gerrit and Locke and with the way Locke is pitching, it would be a horrible decision to send him down to triple A since he is the best pitcher currently for the Pirates. Plus, if someone gets hurt, Gerrit can easily come up and fill that void.

Chidi29
06-25-2013, 06:21 PM
It makes the most sense really. Gerrit still needs to work on his command a little more and he even acknowledged it himself in an interview. Plus, I believe the only two pitchers with options are Gerrit and Locke and with the way Locke is pitching, it would be a horrible decision to send him down to triple A since he is the best pitcher currently for the Pirates. Plus, if someone gets hurt, Gerrit can easily come up and fill that void.

Yessir. Only option we have.

Other pitching news. J-Mac had a setback, going to see Dr. Andrews sometime soon.

Obviously not a major loss but hate to see a guy suffer a setback.

KeiselPower99
06-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Id rather have Cole over Gomez but it could be worse. Gomez has done good this year and really just needed out of Cleveland to make his career worth something.

X-Terminator
06-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Well, he's scheduled to pitch Friday, and he may get a couple more starts if Wandy is out any longer - he also had a setback with his forearm soreness. A.J. will likely be starting his rehab in the next couple of days, so hopefully he'll be back in a week or so.