PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Were Prepared To Withstand Offseason Exodus

stillers4me
06-23-2013, 09:54 AM
As is widely known, the Pittsburgh Steelers have faced some significant departures this past offseason through free agency and release. The Steelers are currently without seven players that would have been opening day starters last season if injuries were not a factor; perhaps eight, if you include punter Jeremy Kapinos.

Such an overhaul has not occurred since at least the 1990s. Not even in head coach Mike Tomlin’s first two years with the team in 2007 and 2008 was there was an overhaul in the starting lineup as there will be this year, and at that time they lost players such as Alan Faneca, Marvel Smith, Jeff Hartings, Joey Porter, Clark Haggans, and Kendall Simmons........

Read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/06/steelers-were-prepared-to-withstand-offseason-exodus/

Tommy8Gun
06-28-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm not extremely worried with the loss of all these players. The Steelers have always been known to find players to step in and fill holes/needs. I believe they will continue to do so this year. Some of the guys who left like James Harrison did not perform to their pay. When you have that situation, it does not make sense to keep them around when you have younger players lower on the depth chart who are looking to get an opportunity to play. The potential for replacement is there, plus they are making less $. Moreover, teams are bound to turn over, age-wise from time to time. I don't call this "rebuilding" rather just developing younger guys to eventually become the playmakers. Happens with every team, not just Pittsburgh.

salamander
06-28-2013, 08:22 AM
It's happened before and it'll happen again. I have faith.

tube517
06-28-2013, 08:54 AM

This

GBMelBlount
06-28-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm not extremely worried with the loss of all these players. The Steelers have always been known to find players to step in and fill holes/needs. I believe they will continue to do so this year.

Some of the guys who left like James Harrison did not perform to their pay.

When you have that situation, it does not make sense to keep them around when you have younger players lower on the depth chart who are looking to get an opportunity to play. The potential for replacement is there, plus they are making less $. Moreover, teams are bound to turn over, age-wise from time to time. I don't call this "rebuilding" rather just developing younger guys to eventually become the playmakers. Happens with every team, not just Pittsburgh.

I am not sure there is anyone we lost (all things considered) that will be sorely missed.

We may also see more camaraderie and team spirit due to so many younger players having a legitimate opportunity to start, prove themslves AND win their first Lombardi.

I really felt like we have played "flat" the last two years.

Nadroj 20
06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
I am not sure there is anyone we lost (all things considered) that will be sorely missed.

We may also see more camaraderie and team spirit due to so many younger players having a legitimate opportunity to start, prove themslves AND win their first Lombardi.

I really felt like we have played "flat" the last two years.

I agree. We have enough young guys with the potential we are looking for.

That young energy will hopefully help with that "flat" feeling that I agree we've had in recent years.

NJarhead
06-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Agreed.

Dwinsgames
06-28-2013, 10:41 AM
my biggest concern was the Loss of 92 , after drafting Jarvis Jones at 17 my concerns have diminished considerably ... Granted he is a rookie and may not make the impact we would like in year 1 but in the long run I think it will prove to be a successful transition

Tommy8Gun
06-29-2013, 10:53 AM
my biggest concern was the Loss of 92 , after drafting Jarvis Jones at 17 my concerns have diminished considerably ... Granted he is a rookie and may not make the impact we would like in year 1 but in the long run I think it will prove to be a successful transition

Agree 110%. Jones was a great pick, on paper. The experts have said nothing but great things about him. I think the coaching staff knows how to groom and develop young LBs - Woodley, Timmons, etc. - so to me Jones will be no different. I would bet he turns into one of those guys. May not be in 2013, but in a few years. Though I'd take him as the ROY or having a great rookie year. Steelers could use it.

KeiselPower99
06-29-2013, 08:10 PM
I think we are a better time without Harrison Mendenhall and Wallace. Worilds will surprise people this year. Sanders Brown and Cotchery may be underrated but will get the job done. And Mendenhall didnt do anything for us last year so any of our running backs have to be a improvement. Only thing I worry is the injuries on the offensive line.

GBMelBlount
06-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Only thing I worry is the injuries on the offensive line.

Amazing that we spent half of our first day picks on offensive linemen the past 3 years and we STILL have offensive line problems.

Dwinsgames
06-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Amazing that we spent half of our first day picks on offensive linemen the past 3 years and we STILL have offensive line problems.

or maybe just perceived ones ? /crosses fingers

Chidi29
06-29-2013, 09:47 PM

We've spent picks on starters and we have a solid starting five. It's depth that's the issue.

Tommy8Gun
06-30-2013, 12:04 PM

It also seems to me they are hurt at the most inopportune moments. IMO if they are ALL healthy, and stay healthy, which affords them the chance to play together, the line should play well.

tube517
06-30-2013, 12:33 PM
We've spent picks on starters and we have a solid starting five. It's depth that's the issue.

Depth and conditioning. Did we get a new conditioning coach?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta