PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed savours Super Sundays

stillers4me
06-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Dan Marino retired without winning a Super Bowl ring. Two other legendary quarterbacks - Peyton Manning and Brett Favre - have but one NFL championship to their credit.

Jeff Reed, by contrast, owns as many rings as Manning, Favre and Marino combined.

"It's tough to believe, really,'' marvelled Reed, who was among the special guests Thursday at the inaugural Jon Ryan Charity Golf Classic.

Reed, who was a placekicker with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2002 to 2010, helped his team win the 43rd and 46th Super Bowls.

"There's 40-plus Super Bowl rings, ever, and I have two of them - and I was a soccer player,'' Reed said. "I never even thought I'd play football. I just started my senior year in high school. My true love was soccer, and it still is, but I realized that I had the gift to kick a football.''

In fact, Reed kicked the very first football at the 2006 Super Bowl, in which the Steelers defeated the Seattle Seahawks - for whom the Regina-born Ryan is now the punter - 21-10 in Detroit.

"I did have the honour of doing the opening kickoff in Detroit,'' Reed recalled. "I almost missed the ball, because it was blinding (due to all the cameras in the stands). Obviously, as a kicker, you're looking at the ball. Because of all the flashes on the way to the ball, it's very distracting. Other than that, it's just a football game.............

Read more @ http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Jeff+Reed+savours+Super+Sundays/8557199/story.html

Read more: http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Jeff+Reed+savours+Super+Sundays/8557199/story.html#ixzz2WypkGaH3

GBMelBlount
06-22-2013, 04:54 PM
I never saw the terms "level headed" or "classy" used to describe Reed but he was considered one of the most "clutch" players in the league at one point.

http://drunkathlete.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/jeff-reed-pittsburgh-steelers-2-drunk-pictures-400x299.jpg

bayz101
06-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Jeff Reed was a solid kicker, and I always trusted him to make the big kicks. If he was past the 50, I was confident he'd make it.

tube517
06-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Meh...he's no Roy Gerela.....:chuckle:

Seriously, Skippy was solid. Just not reliable if you had to take a piss and run from the cops

GBMelBlount
06-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Meh...he's no Roy Gerela.....:chuckle:

Seriously, Skippy was solid. Just not reliable if you had to take a piss and run from the cops

LOL.

Hell, I don't know if there is a person alive I'd trust more to kick a paper towel dispenser through the uprights outside 30 yards.

cold-hard-steel
06-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Man i liked Reed with questions . Roy was a whole different player , with all he had to work with and Knoll as a coach . Chuck took Anderson under his wing later on and named him " la machine " . Fieldgoals win games , and Chuck knew that . Call me a liar or back off .

GBMelBlount
06-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Man i liked Reed with questions . Roy was a whole different player , with all he had to work with and Knoll as a coach . Chuck took Anderson under his wing later on and named him " la machine " . Fieldgoals win games , and Chuck knew that . Call me a liar or back off .

Not if you're always kicking them from in the Red Zone. :sofunny:

Dwinsgames
06-22-2013, 07:50 PM

do me a favor , from now on omit the K ..... The Emperor does not have a K in his name , back in his era the head man in Buffalo name started with a K and his first name was also Chuck but it was Knox , perhaps that is why so many misspell NOLL ???

GBMelBlount
06-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Maybe he's confusing it with a grassy Noll. (:heh: )

tube517
06-22-2013, 08:33 PM

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Gerela actually wasn't a good kicker but remained on the team for whatever reason. Reed was a far better kicker. Gerela was lucky to be on great teams that didn't need any FGs to win.

zulater
06-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Gerela actually wasn't a good kicker but remained on the team for whatever reason. Reed was a far better kicker. Gerela was lucky to be on great teams that didn't need any FGs to win.

For his time Gerela was a good kicker for his first few seasons as a Steeler. But by 75 he was in rapid decline, and by 78 it was a joke that he was on the team. He damn near cost them SB XIII with his piss poor kicking.

tube517
06-23-2013, 07:51 AM
For his time Gerela was a good kicker for his first few seasons as a Steeler. But by 75 he was in rapid decline, and by 78 it was a joke that he was on the team. He damn near cost them SB XIII with his piss poor kicking.

I can't remember anything pre 75 but I guess 60% FG rate was the norm back then. Gary Anderson had an 80% career FG rate and was pretty much money except in the 1998 NFCC game w/the Vikings

cold-hard-steel
06-23-2013, 07:19 PM
do me a favor , from now on omit the K ..... The Emperor does not have a K in his name , back in his era the head man in Buffalo name started with a K and his first name was also Chuck but it was Knox , perhaps that is why so many misspell NOLL ???

Ok , so i did make that mistake . Forgive me for that , please . when i log in it says "old - hard - steel " i will just refer to him from this point onward as " Chuck " .

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe he's confusing it with a grassy Noll. (:heh: )

Bad grass never dies ! It just spreads .You ain't dumb , so what can i say ?

Tommy8Gun
06-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Reed was a good kicker. I was a fan of him as a player. However, off-the-field is a different story. Total @$$hole, IMO. Steelers made the right move by releasing him after his off-the-field antics. I don't blame the team, I wouldn't want a guy like this representing my organization.

Pertaining to the article, there are players who are on Super Bowl winning teams who never do anything for their careers, but are just on the team because they are a reserve or back up. That's just the way it goes!

Dwinsgames
06-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Reed was a good kicker. I was a fan of him as a player. However, off-the-field is a different story. Total @$$hole, IMO. Steelers made the right move by releasing him after his off-the-field antics. I don't blame the team, I wouldn't want a guy like this representing my organization.

actually he got the boot ( pardon the pun ) for sucking ON the field ... his last year here he was abysmal and was released

HollywoodSteel
06-25-2013, 01:17 PM

I don't know about that. You could argue that when he missed that FG, and then Cliff Harris patted him on the head, and then Lambert threw that Asshat to the turf - that was the spark the Steelers needed to get all fired up and everything. Oh, wait. That was Super Bowl X, wasn't it? Never mind.

Tommy8Gun
06-26-2013, 04:06 PM
actually he got the boot ( pardon the pun ) for sucking ON the field ... his last year here he was abysmal and was released

Good point. That is very true. I think it was a combination of that and getting in trouble off-the-field that did Reed in.

steel striker
06-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Jeff was a good clutch kicker for the Steelers and, Heinz field is no walk in the park as we all know. I liked Reed but, I remember that game on Monday night against the cheats where he missed a easy chip shot. After that he was gone but, it's funny how we all remember the missed kicks rather than all the one's he made. A buddy of mine always called him quadzilla!