PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati Bengals Vs. Pittsburgh Steelers: Most Ferocious Rivalry in Football?

HollywoodSteel
06-19-2013, 11:39 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cincinnati-bengals-vs-pittsburgh-steelers-most-ferocious-rivalry-150000434.html

That's the title of the article, not my opinion. I know reporters need to conjure up premises for stories this time of year, and this one is certainly a stretch, but I could definitely see this becoming a fiercer rivalry starting now. Maybe it's just me, but I've never felt the same kind of hatred for the Bengals as I have for the Ravens (that includes when the Ravens were the old Browns). I'm sure that has a lot to do with the quality of team they've put on the field for as far back as I care to remember. But even when they look pretty good, like they do now, I still don't get that gut wrenching anger in my stomach on game day like I do when we face the Ravens. And when the Bengals play the Ravens I always root for the Bengals (again, there are usually practical reasons for this, but there's some emotion to it as well). Perhaps all that is about to change though...

tube517
06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
bengals steelers is really the least interesting "rivalry" of all the division opponents. Even when douchemenzadah disgraced the towel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

X-Terminator
06-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Only Bengals fans believe it's a fierce rivalry. Most Steelers fans couldn't give a damn. Steelers/Ravens is among the fiercest rivalries in all of pro sports, right up there with Yankees/Red Sox, Giants/Dodgers and Canadiens/Bruins.

HollywoodSteel
06-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Only Bengals fans believe it's a fierce rivalry. Most Steelers fans couldn't give a damn. Steelers/Ravens is among the fiercest rivalries in all of pro sports, right up there with Yankees/Red Sox, Giants/Dodgers and Canadiens/Bruins.

I'm in total agreement with you, I'm just wondering if that might shift if the Bengals start living up to their potential. Their talent right now can't be ignored. It might take a year or so, but if the Bengals become the team that's consistently in our way, we might see the focus of our hatred shift slightly - that's assuming we stay competitive. If we suck, I'll keep rooting for the Bengals and Browns over the Ravens until we're back in the game.

blackngldblood
06-19-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm pretty sure all thanksgiving festivities are cancelled this year. I won't be able to eat that much food that day. I wouldn't say the same if we were playing the bungholes that night......

st33lersguy
06-19-2013, 03:09 PM
It was only a heated rivalry in 2005-2006. Bengals-Steelers doesn't match the tenacity of Ratbirds-Steelers

Mistah Q
06-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Really? I would put

Steelers-Ravens
Steelers-Browns
Steelers-Raiders
Steelers-Cowboys
Steelers-Oilers (RIP but still...)

before Steelers-Bengals

ALLD
06-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Bengals are not relevant and this story was fabricated to gain readership. You could substitute the Browns or even the Jags and write the same story with the same relevance.

cold-hard-steel
06-19-2013, 08:20 PM
I thought our most fierce rivalry was Jerry Glanville , and the Houston Oilers . Course John Madden and the Raiders were no slouch either . Bengals and Sam wyche , or how ever you spell his last name tried their best i guess . But now a days it has to be the original Browneyes .

Shoes
06-19-2013, 08:39 PM

:chuckle:

Edman
06-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Wut.

I don't like the Bengals and all, but I don't get stoked for those games like I do the Ravens or the Patriots. Hell. I hate the Browns more than I hate the Bengals. X-T said it best. To Bengals fans, the Steelers are public enemy #1. To Steelers fans, the Bengals are a passing mention on occasion.

Come wake me when the Bengals play two classic playoff games in two years against the Steelers like the Ravens have, or when Steelers/Bengals is a marquee primetime matchup that is scheduled every year. The one playoff game the Steelers and Bengals played, well, the Steelers trounced them easily in Paul Brown Stadium.

2005-2006 Wasn't even a rivalry, it was more of a feud that was settled really quickly. Steelers/Bengals then was supposed to blossom into the next hot rivalry, but it never happened.

Edman
06-19-2013, 08:53 PM
1) 2000-Present Old Browns/Ravens.
2) 70's Raiders
3) Late 80's-90's Oilers
4) Pre-Move Browns
5) Late-70's Oilers
6) 80's Bengals
7) Tom Coughlin Jaguars
8) Jeff Fisher Titans

st33lersguy
06-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Tomlin once said something to the effect of a game vs the Ravens would be a dogfight in the preseason, (can't quite remember the actual quote), not once have I heard him say that about the Bengals

Seven
06-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Huh?

wvsportsman
06-20-2013, 05:11 AM
1) 2000-Present Old Browns/Ravens.
2) 70's Raiders
3) Late 80's-90's Oilers
4) Pre-Move Browns
5) Late-70's Oilers
6) 80's Bengals
7) Tom Coughlin Jaguars
8) Jeff Fisher Titans

^ This!

LLT
06-20-2013, 05:31 AM
About the Author.....

Sean O'Donnell

Sean O'Donnell is a contributor for Yahoo! Sports and a featured columnist on Bleacher Report covering the Cincinnati Bengals. He is also the co-host of the Bengals Central podcast on the Pro Football Central radio network.

In other words:

"Sean O'Donnell has the unenviable task of covering the bi-polar escapades of a second tier sports franchise. He has made good use of his journalism degree by writing for TWO websites in which one needs no actual knowledge of sports. In his free time Sean likes to stand on street corners in a latex tiger costume yelling "Look at me!! Look at me!!! PLEASE look at me!!!" His writings have been compared to such literary accomplishments as a bowl of alphabet soup."

Moose
06-20-2013, 05:34 AM
As was stated earlier .... only bunghole fan's think so. When the two teams meet it's talked up all week in cincy, it's like their SB.

CPanther95
06-20-2013, 01:03 PM
One reason given: They both have lost 2 Super Bowls - the only teams in the AFC North to do so.

Idiotic.

With a name like O'Donnell, it's not surprising he's so far off the mark.

silver & black
06-20-2013, 01:58 PM
We all know the best rivalry since the merger of the two leagues was the Raiders/Steelers of the 70's. There isn't one rivalry that can equal it.

tube517
06-20-2013, 02:08 PM
We all know the best rivalry since the merger of the two leagues was the Raiders/Steelers of the 70's. There isn't one rivalry that can equal it.

This. Steelers-Raiders 70s >>> Steelers-Ravens present. That rivalry in the 70s was the definition of Ferocious.

Count Steeler
06-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Have to agree. My best friend in high school was a Raiders fan, so it was even more intense when the Raiders and Steelers met. Something the new NFL will never see again.

X-Terminator
06-20-2013, 07:38 PM

Can't argue with that. Steelers/Ravens today, they would beat the shit out of each other, but at the end of the day, they respected each other. Steelers/Raiders, on the other hand...they would beat the shit out of each other, spit in each other's faces, and then beat the shit out of each other some more. There was genuine hatred between the 2 teams. Joe is right - the "new NFL" will never see such a fierce and violent rivalry ever again.

GoSlash27
06-20-2013, 08:33 PM
The nail doesn't have a "rivalry" with the hammer.

KeiselPower99
06-26-2013, 05:22 PM
I work with several Bengals fans and they talk it up and I get the feeling that their season depends on beating us. I would rank it last of the other 3 divisional teams though. Nothing beats a Ravens Steelers game.

Dwinsgames
06-26-2013, 07:38 PM
our biggest rival is whomever is next on the schedule

Mistah Q
06-27-2013, 12:42 AM
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss123/texansfanblog/Old%20Player%20Pics/JeffriesHaywood1.jpg

Hate that Haywood Jeffires...

Texasteel
06-27-2013, 12:44 PM

Showing my age again, but I got to agree. When they met in the playoffs it was like World War III. After most games teams go straight to the showers. After a Steelers/Raiders game it was a trip to ER. Even the fans hated each other. Not you of course SB.

tube517
06-27-2013, 02:15 PM
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss123/texansfanblog/Old%20Player%20Pics/JeffriesHaywood1.jpg

Hate that Haywood Jeffires...

No where near Raiders/Steelers of the 70s BUT Chuck Noll HATED Jerry Glanville so there was some bad blood there

SMR
07-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Have to agree. My best friend in high school was a Raiders fan, so it was even more intense when the Raiders and Steelers met. Something the new NFL will never see again.

I second that! Under Goodell's "reign" the NFL is lost.

BigNastyDefense
07-13-2013, 10:04 AM
I hate losing to the Bengals (I hate losing to anyone), but I don't have a hate for the Bengals like what I have for the Ravens or the Patriots.