PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo Is Better Than Big Ben

polamalubeast
06-18-2013, 04:48 PM
This match up is much closer. Though, to me, Ben Roethlisberger is a bit overrated. Like Flacco, Big Ben has had the fortune of playing for head strong head coaches. Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin are top-notch, upper level, football minds. The two have patrolled the sidelines since 1992.

During that span, the Cowboys cycled through a coaching carousel with names like Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Wade Phillips, and now Jason Garrett. These names aren’t exactly Canton, Ohio names.

Why would I take Romo over Roethlisberger? Athletic ability. In Ben’s 127 total games, he has surrendered an astounding 344 sacks! They call him Big Ben for a reason: he loves to take hugs. At this rate, Ben could become the most sacked QB in NFL history. (Brett Farve is number one with 525.)

In Tony’s 121 total games, he has surrendered 178 sacks. Got legs? Tony obviously does. Roethlisberger would have no success as a Cowboy. Not with this offensive line.

There is structure in the AFC North. Pride. Talent. There are people in those organizations who are team conscious, not money conscious (See: Jerry Jones).

The Cowboys lack structure. Pride and talent fail at their best if there is no structure to support these elements.

Ben Roethlisberger isn’t the rock that caused the ripple in Pittsburg; he is just an echo of the wave.

Tony Romo has thrown less interceptions (91 to 108), has taken less sacks, has a higher completion percentage, owns a higher touchdown percentage, and has a higher passer rating (95.6 to 92.7).

Romo has thrown up these numbers with mediocre teams, while Big Ben has had the benefit of playing with better players, coaches, and decisions makers.

So let me ask you, if you were starting a team tomorrow, would you still take Roethlisberger over Romo?

Me? Nope. I’d take the undrafted free agent over the first rounder.

http://thelandryhat.com/2013/05/28/tony-romo-is-better-than-big-ben-and-joe-flacco/

Dwinsgames
06-18-2013, 04:53 PM
dude can not even spell Pittsburgh , thus how is anybody suppose to take him seriously ?

stillers4me
06-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Good God. I need to get this off FB and Twitter before anybody takes it seriously.

KeiselPower99
06-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Was that dated April 1st? Worst joke I have ever read.

st33lersguy
06-18-2013, 05:36 PM
So let me ask you, if you were starting a team tomorrow, would you still take Roethlisberger over Romo?

Me? Nope. I’d take the QB who ALWAYS chokes in the biggest games and has one playoff win in 7 seasons over the 2-time Super Bowl champion who led a stellar game-winning 88 yard drive in the Super Bowl and single handedly saved the other Super Bowl season in that year's divisonal round with a tackle no other QB would have made.

A little longwinded yes, but it puts it in more perspective. He literally single-handedly kept the Steelers Super Bowl hopes alive two different championship seasons with ridiculous plays few other QBs could make. There was the aforementioned tackle in 05 and his broken tackle at his own 5 which he turned into a completion to start (and likely spark) the winning drive in the Super Bowl. No way we win one Super Bowl with Tony Choko starting those years. And how does this idiot know Ben couldn't hold up with Dallas' O-line? Ben had scabs like Sean Gayhan, Darnell Stapleton and even Jonathan Scott blocking for him and still thrived.

ALLD
06-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Romo is the biggest QB and place holder choke artist in the NFL.

Count Steeler
06-18-2013, 05:47 PM
But the Cowboys are the most talented team in the NFL.

st33lersguy
06-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Ben's value to the team really is overlooked. I remember 3 other important plays he made that get overlooked. Super Bowl 43, 1st quarter TD drive, single handedly keeps drive alive with his patented broken tackle-calmy delivered completion in a drive that produced 7 points in a 4 point game. Even in his poor performance in Super Bowl 40 he made crucial plays that get overlooked by his performance. The broken tackle-calmly delivered completion on 3rd and forever that kept the 1st touchdown drive alive and on the game-breaking Randel El touchdown, Ben delivered the key block. No one, not even this guy could look at the critical plays he made in those 2 Super Bowl seasons and say Ben is unimportant to the team or Tony Romo could win 2 Super Bowls with that Steeler team as well. Sadly I don't think Ben ever will get the respect he deserves, he certainly doesn't now as his name is always tossed around as equal to or inferior to the likes of Romo, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan etc., all of whom are very much inferior to Ben, instead of where he belongs next to Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers

dislocatedday
06-18-2013, 06:01 PM
.....In Tony’s 121 total games, he has surrendered 178 sacks. Got legs? Tony obviously does. Roethlisberger would have no success as a Cowboy. Not with this offensive line.

http://thelandryhat.com/2013/05/28/tony-romo-is-better-than-big-ben-and-joe-flacco/

This statement made me laugh. This "writer" obviously has no idea of some of the porous offensive lines Ben has played behind the last several years. Ben has had much success despite the offensive line.

vader29
06-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Hey look a stupid article written by someone other than Jamison Hensley.

Nadroj 20
06-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Me? Nope. I’d take the undrafted free agent over the first rounder.

The undrafted free agent with 1 playoff win over the first rounder with 2 superbowls? Roethlisberger wins games even if it isn't pretty.

Next.

Psycho Ward 86
06-18-2013, 06:37 PM
LOL, romo has played on some cowboys teams with virtually no weaknesses. other than himself

Texasteel
06-18-2013, 06:56 PM
I thought I left all this moronic BS behind me when I left Dallas. Romo was made for Dallas. Overrated, particularly by Tony Romo, and loves the highlights more than wins. Almost locked this dumb thing down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, still might.

st33lersguy
06-18-2013, 07:37 PM
The only reason people think Tony Romo is worth discussing is because he is a Dallas Cowboy. If he played for the Bills no one would give a crap about him

blackngldblood
06-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Although he has thrown fewer interceptions, Romo always throws them when a quarterback can't afford to throw them. Always. Ben hasn't had that problem until late last year trying to recover from an injury. Nuff said.

GBMelBlount
06-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Ben excels under pressure - Romo, not so much...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSq7pjXDT-KiRHi3Z6QN9MABFW-S_nn-Xm8bdS0TDD2EyH_P8NJGndurF9W

fansince'76
06-18-2013, 08:15 PM
http://www.nathanknowssports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Tony-Romo-Chok.jpg

7SteelGal43
06-18-2013, 08:32 PM
The article talked about the poor O-line the Cowboys have. Lemme ask this. Ben had no better an O line that Romo. Ben...2 rings. Romo ?

i didn't think so. I take Big Ben over Sir Chokes Alot anyday !

Seven
06-18-2013, 09:08 PM
I like Romo more than a lot of people, but this argument is obviously nonsense. Ben is a premiere quarterback in the NFL. I think Romo is a bit above average.

tube517
06-18-2013, 09:42 PM
http://www.nathanknowssports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Tony-Romo-Chok.jpg

:rofl2:

http://cdn.hollywoodgrind.com/images/2009/1/tony-romo-cheats-on-jessica-simpson-in-her-bed.jpg

GBMelBlount
06-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Seven

I like Romo more than a lot of people, but this argument is obviously nonsense. Ben is a premiere quarterback in the NFL. I think Romo is a bit above average.

Maybe 10th?....the choking is what kills him.

--------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't hit the hay without posting one more funny Romo pic. :chuckle:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0koOfIoSxSw/Ts_5X3zSHHI/AAAAAAABEUc/FkzfZCX3QBw/s1600/Dallas+Cowboys+-+Tony+Romo+jpg.jpg

Moose
06-19-2013, 05:13 AM
344 sacks and is still playing ! I really don't think homo Romo could've survived through that many sacks. And being sacked isn't all on the QB's shoulder, the offensive line has a thing to do about that. I'll take my chances with Ben thank you. ( and I thought so called sports writer Hensley was a bafoon....)

LLT
06-19-2013, 06:20 AM
In similar news...Aquaman is MUCH better than Superman because 72% of the earth is covered with water. Yes, Aquaman pretty much as the same super powers as SpongeBob Squarepants....but stats dont lie.

steelerdiva
06-19-2013, 08:07 AM
The only reason people think Tony Romo is worth discussing is because he is a Dallas Cowboy.

Ding...ding...ding! We have a winner! Joe Theisman said the same thing months ago! If it weren't for Romo wearing that helmet with the big ugly star on it no one would be even talking about him.

steeldevil
06-19-2013, 08:16 AM
dude can not even spell Pittsburgh , thus how is anybody suppose to take him seriously ?

Exactly what I was about to post.

HollywoodSteel
06-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Everyone has pretty much covered everything. The only thing I'll add is comparing sacks as a relevant stat isn't quite fair (unless you're talking wear and tear going forward). Ben plays a different game than anyone else. While Romo is pretty good at dodging defenders with his athleticism, he doesn't change the game by extending plays the way Ben does. There are times when I'm screaming at the TV for Ben to throw it away as defenders crawl all over him, only to see him shake them all off and deliver an unbelievable pass. It's at those times that I turn to my wife and say, "What you just saw doesn't happen in reality. No one else does that." Even though we've seen Ben do it time and time again, I'm still in awe every time I see it. Ben is strong but he's not stronger than those linebackers trying to take him down. They can out bench-press him and out squat him. It can't be purely physical. But that is what a human being is capable of when his will to succeed is just stronger than anyone else's.

I can be critical of Ben, and I think he has some major flaws, but with the game on the line, I want the ball in Ben's hands over Romo's 100 times out of 100. And Romo's big problem is, deep down, he probably agrees with me.

blackngldblood
06-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Everyone has pretty much covered everything. The only thing I'll add is comparing sacks as a relevant stat isn't quite fair (unless you're talking wear and tear going forward). Ben plays a different game than anyone else. While Romo is pretty good at dodging defenders with his athleticism, he doesn't change the game by extending plays the way Ben does. There are times when I'm screaming at the TV for Ben to throw it away as defenders crawl all over him, only to see him shake them all off and deliver an unbelievable pass. It's at those times that I turn to my wife and say, "What you just saw doesn't happen in reality. No one else does that." Even though we've seen Ben do it time and time again, I'm still in awe every time I see it. Ben is strong but he's not stronger than those linebackers trying to take him down. They can out bench-press him and out squat him. It can't be purely physical. But that is what a human being is capable of when his will to succeed is just stronger than anyone else's.

I can be critical of Ben, and I think he has some major flaws, but with the game on the line, I want the ball in Ben's hands over Romo's 100 times out of 100. And Romo's big problem is, deep down, he probably agrees with me.

let me just start this story by trying to get you to understand just how much my wife couldn't care less about football. She pretty much hates it. She is amazing because she tolerates the Steelers games because of my love for the team. Let me build a small shrine in our bedroom right next to where we sleep and share our most intimate of moments. She actually let me, yes let me spend five hundred dollars on tickets alone to the Cowboys game last season and went with me to the game. For most of the game while I was having the time of my life, she just looked around at the people in the stands. Checked out the giant t.v. in the middle of the stadium. Glanced at the game from time to time. When Ben made the play right before half time where he held the ball for seventeen seconds or something ridiculous like that and threw the touchdown to Heath she happened to be watching, turned and looked at me and said "Wow, Ben is awesome!" "I want one of his jerseys!" I literally almost teared up right there next to a bunch of drunk Steelers fans, but I think they would have understood. She is slowly wearing down, and will be a full fledged fan of the team by this seasons end, I can just feel it!

HollywoodSteel
06-19-2013, 01:51 PM
let me just start this story by trying to get you to understand just how much my wife couldn't care less about football. She pretty much hates it. She is amazing because she tolerates the Steelers games because of my love for the team. Let me build a small shrine in our bedroom right next to where we sleep and share our most intimate of moments. She actually let me, yes let me spend five hundred dollars on tickets alone to the Cowboys game last season and went with me to the game. For most of the game while I was having the time of my life, she just looked around at the people in the stands. Checked out the giant t.v. in the middle of the stadium. Glanced at the game from time to time. When Ben made the play right before half time where he held the ball for seventeen seconds or something ridiculous like that and threw the touchdown to Heath she happened to be watching, turned and looked at me and said "Wow, Ben is awesome!" "I want one of his jerseys!" I literally almost teared up right there next to a bunch of drunk Steelers fans, but I think they would have understood. She is slowly wearing down, and will be a full fledged fan of the team by this seasons end, I can just feel it!

That's a great story, and I feel you. When I first started dating my to-be-wife, she hated football. All she knew about it was that it took her father's attention from her on Sundays, so we're talking deep-rooted emotional stuff. Now she is a die hard Steelers fan. She doesn't completely understand all the in and outs of it, but every year she learns more. Hines Ward became her favorite player and she cried real tears when his career ended. I'll let you in on the secret to turning her around on the game: Hard Knocks.

The thing about football, especially for woman who didn't grow up watching the game, is that, not only is it complicated, you can't even really see the players because of the helmets. Hard Knocks is basically like any other reality show that sucked her in - she started to actually care about the human beings under those helmets. Is that rookie going to do well enough on special teams to avoid getting cut this week? He seems so nice and he's already got a wife and kid... stuff like that. Then she'd watch the preseason games and if one of her guys screwed up her heart would broke for him, but if he did well she'd cheer. She also started really appreciating all the hard work that the guys go through, and not just the players, but the coaches too. Although she knew she'd have to become a Steelers fan, once she started watching other NFL games, she really started to like John Gruden. He seemed really fiery, just like her.

The ironic thing is that it was 2001 when we met, and the very first Hard Knocks featured the Ravens, fresh off their Super Bowl win. As soon as the last episode ended, I turned to her and said, "I want you to think about all those guys you just let into your heart - their pain, their struggles, their triumphs... from this day forward you must hate them all with a bitter venom that you have not yet come close to tasting thus far in your young life, for you are a Steelers fan now. Welcome to the NFL, honey."

blackngldblood
06-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Haha! That's great! My wife already knows there is no way, no matter who is on their team or how much she may be amazed by a play made by the ravens that she can never, EVER speak sympathetic words for that organization in our household. She is fully aware that that is a treasonous act and will be punished accordingly, lol.

Seven
06-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Came back to this thread needing a laugh, left satisfied.

steel striker
06-20-2013, 01:13 PM
That guy needs to put the crack pipe down. It's Big Ben hands down.