PDA

View Full Version : Giants would consider re-signing Burress upon prison release

Psycho Ward 86
08-04-2010, 04:54 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81984ff8/article/giants-would-consider-resigning-burress-upon-prison-release?module=HP_headlines

Could Plaxico Burress' work-release program include work in the NFL?

Burress is expected to be released from the Oneida Correctional Facility in Rome, N.Y., within the next two to three weeks, according to the New York Post, and the Giants reportedly have some interest in bringing back the wide receiver.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese told the newspaper Wednesday that the team "definitely will investigate it."

Burress, 32, is serving a two-year sentence for a gun possession conviction, and he likely will be disciplined by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for the November 2008 nightclub incident, during which the receiver accidentally shot himself while reaching for a gun inside his sweatpants. Burress played 10 games that season before the Giants suspended him. He was released by the team in April 2009.

Burress had 70 catches for 1,025 yards and a career-high 12 touchdowns during the Giants' Super Bowl-winning 2007 season.

Reese said Burress' athleticism could make an improbable comeback possible.

"When he first went in (prison) he was saying he thought he'd come back and be a good player, and I don't doubt that at all because he's that kind of athlete," Reese said. "But in this game it's hard to walk away for a couple of years and be the same person. But if anybody can do it, I think it's him. So you never say never."

Psycho Ward 86
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Personally, i think this is just stupid. How many times can you forgive the guy? Even then, he'll probably be looking for a big payday, which Plexiglas already screwed up when he freakin' shot himself right after signing a monster extension. They arent even in the same situation they were 2 years ago. Now they actually have dudes to throw to: Steve Smith (A HUGE probowl snub), Mario Manningham, Hakeem Nicks, Domenik Hixon, and Kevin Boss. Add onto that the fact that Eli had his best season, and you can always run the ball down your opponents throat with Brandon Jacobs and Bradshaw, who are being blocked by one of the best O-lines in the league.

I really admire the way the Giants bring about their young players and turn nobodies in somebodies extremely quickly. They are truly one of the most underrated organizations in football, and seriously, they dont need Plexiglas. At all.

steeldevil
08-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Personally, i think this is just stupid. How many times can you forgive the guy? Even then, he'll probably be looking for a big payday, which Plexiglas already screwed up when he freakin' shot himself right after signing a monster extension. They arent even in the same situation they were 2 years ago. Now they actually have dudes to throw to: Steve Smith (A HUGE probowl snub), Mario Manningham, Hakeem Nicks, Domenik Hixon, and Kevin Boss. Add onto that the fact that Eli had his best season, and you can always run the ball down your opponents throat with Brandon Jacobs and Bradshaw, who are being blocked by one of the best O-lines in the league.

I really admire the way the Giants bring about their young players and turn nobodies in somebodies extremely quickly. They are truly one of the most underrated organizations in football, and seriously, they dont need Plexiglas. At all.

I agree, they dont need Plax at all and it would be silly for them to sign him. Also, Steve Smith did make the probowl last year.

Killer
08-04-2010, 05:29 PM
We should sign him now.

he'll probably get less suspension time than Ben

BuddhaBus
08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Oh, just give Burress another SHOT! BA-DUM-BUMP! :heh: Remember to tip your bartenders and waitresses. I'll be here all week.

Galax Steeler
08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
We should sign him now.

But he won't have anyone to throw to him.:huh:

BuddhaBus
08-04-2010, 05:38 PM
We should sign him now.

LESS?!? He probably won't get anything. Some stupid nonsense drivel from Goodell about "he's served his time" or "he's been punished enough". :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Psycho Ward 86
08-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm guess im the only one around these forums who thoroughly enjoys Killer's comic relief.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't have a problem with it. If the Giants don't sign Plax I'm sure somebody will take a chance on him. Why not? You can get him on the cheap and he has to know he is on a short leash. One screw up and you cut him with minimal loss.

He has been out of the league for what, two years now so there may be some question on how is skills have diminished. I'd still sign him and see what he has left. He has to bring more to a team than a lot of 7th round rookies or undrafted free agents.

steelerdude15
08-04-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm guess im the only one around these forums who thoroughly enjoys Killer's comic relief.
I like Killer's comedy, but anyways I don't believe bringing back Burress would be a good thing for them. Just like what Psycho said, they have a very talented offense that doesn't need him.

BuddhaBus
08-04-2010, 06:34 PM
I'll join in on the Killer love-fest. YOU DA MAN, KILLER!

The Duke
08-05-2010, 12:30 AM
He has been out of the league for what, two years

ravens will probably sign him just like they did with stallworth

vasteeler
08-05-2010, 07:19 AM
killer......killer......killer

BigNastyDefense
08-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Killer....you slay me.

As got Plex, he's going to be signed by someone. Maybe not the G-Men, but someone will.

BuddhaBus
08-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Killer....you slay me.

As got Plex, he's going to be signed by someone. Maybe not the G-Men, but someone will.

Maybe the Browns or Bengals. I heard he looks good in prison orange.

SMR
08-06-2010, 05:54 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81984ff8/article/giants-would-consider-resigning-burress-upon-prison-release?module=HP_headlines

Could Plaxico Burress' work-release program include work in the NFL?

Burress is expected to be released from the Oneida Correctional Facility in Rome, N.Y., within the next two to three weeks, according to the New York Post, and the Giants reportedly have some interest in bringing back the wide receiver.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese told the newspaper Wednesday that the team "definitely will investigate it."

Burress, 32, is serving a two-year sentence for a gun possession conviction, and he likely will be disciplined by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for the November 2008 nightclub incident, during which the receiver accidentally shot himself while reaching for a gun inside his sweatpants. Burress played 10 games that season before the Giants suspended him. He was released by the team in April 2009.

Burress had 70 catches for 1,025 yards and a career-high 12 touchdowns during the Giants' Super Bowl-winning 2007 season.

Reese said Burress' athleticism could make an improbable comeback possible.

"When he first went in (prison) he was saying he thought he'd come back and be a good player, and I don't doubt that at all because he's that kind of athlete," Reese said. "But in this game it's hard to walk away for a couple of years and be the same person. But if anybody can do it, I think it's him. So you never say never."

LOL!! :pointlaugh:

fansince'76
08-07-2010, 04:27 AM
If that's so, the Giants deserve what they get. How many times did they fine him for being late, skipping practices, and the like? 50? 60?