PDA

View Full Version : Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark

polamalubeast
06-18-2013, 11:16 AM
On the way into the locker room following a recent workout, safety Shamarko Thomas wasn't quite grasping what Troy Polamalu was trying to get across to him.

So, Polamalu stopped, turned to the brick wall leading into the facility and started to diagram it with his finger for the rookie fourth-round pick.

“I have always been willing to teach anybody if they are willing to learn,” Polamalu said. “But a lot of times I pour out too much too soon to a lot of players. It is trying to teach algebra to basic math.”

It's OK, because Polamalu has a teaching assistant to bridge the gaps: Ryan Clark.

Polamalu and Clark, veterans of 10-plus years in the NFL, are thrilled to finally be able to pass their knowledge onto a young, talented and receptive safety and are taking advantage of the situation.

“Troy and I have asked for years for a guy to mentor,” Clark said. “Some players feel like they can play forever. We understand it is not going to be that way. We want to see somebody take it over and do well.”

It's an unselfish act on Clark's part knowing that he's in the final year of a four-year, $14 million contract that he signed in 2010. It's possible that the development of Thomas will make Clark expendable next year. Same goes for Polamalu, who has two years left on the four-year, $36.5 million deal that he signed in 2011.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4198554-74/thomas-clark-polamalu#ixzz2WaLRCRtz
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

steelerdude15
06-18-2013, 11:18 AM
I think Shamarko could be a really good, if not a great safety for us down the road. He reminds me of Ryan a little bit with how physical he is and how well of a tackler he is. Shamarko can also read plays really well too. I'm glad he's learning from two great safeties as well.

Dwinsgames
06-18-2013, 11:21 AM
I think Shamarko could be a really good, if not a great safety for us down the road. He reminds me of Ryan a little bit with how physical he is and how well of a tackler he is. Shamarko can also read plays really well too. I'm glad he's learning from two great safeties as well.

Thomas reminds me of Bob Sanders , hopefully he proves to be one hell of a lot more durable

Psycho Ward 86
06-18-2013, 11:22 AM
“Troy and I have asked for years for a guy to mentor,” Clark said. “Some players feel like they can play forever. We understand it is not going to be that way. We want to see somebody take it over and do well.”

Wow, thats refreshing to hear. you hardly ever hear players saying things like that

Seven
06-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Thomas should do well when his number is called. I'm still a fan of Cromartie-Smith and wish we could see some more of him. It seems like the team favors Robert Golden, though.

steelerdude15
06-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Thomas reminds me of Bob Sanders , hopefully he proves to be one hell of a lot more durable

Yes, lets hope so. I certainly wouldn't want us to have a great safety and to play at an elite level to only have his career derailed because of injuries in a few years.

steelreserve
06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Sharko is seeming more and more like a steal for where we got him. Hearing this also reinforces the stopgap-at-best status of some of the younger guys we'd brought in (coughmundycough).

tube517
06-18-2013, 12:10 PM

I see that comparison too. I hope he can stay healthier than Bob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Spike
06-18-2013, 12:47 PM
I hope he can stay healthier than Troy

Moose
06-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Troy... awesome teacher !!! What a guy to learn from. I always said it would be awesome to have some of the 'greats' hang around and teach. Some rookies seem to lack even some of the basics. This is great, thanks Troy !

Bluecoat96
06-18-2013, 02:17 PM
You know, they talked in the article about finally having someone to teach. What does that say about Ryan Mundy and Will Allen?

fansince'76
06-18-2013, 02:24 PM

Wow, thats refreshing to hear. you hardly ever hear players saying things like that

I think Clark is nothing if not a realist. That's why he has been interning as a football analyst - he can see the end on the horizon.

Dwinsgames
06-18-2013, 02:29 PM
You know, they talked in the article about finally having someone to teach. What does that say about Ryan Mundy and Will Allen?

Will Allen is like 31 or so ...old dog new tricks sort of thing is my guess

tube517
06-18-2013, 03:55 PM

Mundy sucked and Allen was a stopgap sub. Clarkamalu are talking about a young rookie willing and able. The last safety drafted before Mundy was dumbass Anthony Smith

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta