PDA

View Full Version : All 22: The Mike Wallace Effect

stillers4me
06-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Alex Kovora
On the whole, the 2013 offseason was not kind to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Rashard Mendenhall ended up in Pittsburgh West, Keenan Lewis to the Big Easy, and James Harrison to the Bengals.

But arguably the toughest blow was letting Mike Wallace go to the Dolphins. It can be argued it was a decision made out of financial necessity but there’s no question the team is losing a playmaker. A prime example of that from Week 6 against Tennessee...............

Read more from Chidi29 @ http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/all-22-the-mike-wallace-affect/

:applaudit: Don't be shy Chidi! Please feel free to post all your articles here!

GBMelBlount
06-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Nice Breakdown Chidi.

I agree.

Wallace and Sanders are fast but Wallace has pure game breaking speed.

steelreserve
06-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Let's look at this play from Week 7 against the Bengals. Wallace lines up in single coverage on the outside, with help over the top. The Steelers are hoping his speed will draw the safety's attention, freeing up Antonio Brown to come over the middle.

http://i.imgur.com/ictk1t5.jpg

Wallace breaks off his route and the safety covers Brown. Roethlisberger checks down and targets Wallace on the sideline, but the pass inexplicably falls incomplete.

http://i.imgur.com/hnjgGqq.jpg

Back on the bench, Wallace's face shows the frustration typical of his season.

http://i.imgur.com/enWajki.jpg

Wallace does a good job looking cool and expressing his disappointment; however, in this case, his vision and mental discipline are clouded by something else. Will he perform better in Miami without those distractions? We'll see next season.

st33lersguy
06-15-2013, 02:39 PM
however, in this case, his vision and mental discipline are clouded by something else. Will he perform better in Miami without those distractions? We'll see next season.

No, since he got his payday, he will not be putting forth much of an effort

Chidi29
06-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks for posting it stillers. Didn't want to feel like I was spamming you guys by posting them.

Couple other recent ones I've done.

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/st-vincent-sleepers/
http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/all-22-keenan-lewis-and-cover-3/
http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/all-22-ike-taylor-and-trail-technique/

Texasteel
06-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks for posting it stillers. Didn't want to feel like I was spamming you guys by posting them.

I've never read anything you've wrote that could be called spam. Wish I could write like that. Now if you start advertising your new book signings we may have to talk.:)

steelreserve
06-15-2013, 04:28 PM

If you wrote crappy articles and didn't know what you were talking about, maybe it would be spamming, but I think most of us are pretty impressed by your knowledge and the time you take to break things down. The more of them the better, if you ask me. And thanks for having a thick skin/good sense of humor about it too.

tube517
06-15-2013, 06:32 PM

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/st-vincent-sleepers/
http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/all-22-keenan-lewis-and-cover-3/
http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/all-22-ike-taylor-and-trail-technique/

Get outta here with the humbleness. Spam? LMAO. Post away. Real journalism is welcome here, not toilet stain homerism like Jamison what's his face. Great job with the articles!

Hindes204
06-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Get outta here with the humbleness. Spam? LMAO. Post away. Real journalism is welcome here, not toilet stain homerism like Jamison what's his face. Great job with the articles!

This.

you are a very talented young man with a bright future, I enjoy reading your analysis of the game. Post as many articles as you like

Chidi29
06-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys, means a lot!

Shoes
06-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Nice job, Chidi! Always enjoy reading your stuff.

salamander
06-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Nice job as usual, Chidi!

steelreserve
06-15-2013, 11:04 PM
hey, not to be a dick, but on the site, shouldn't it be "Effect" instead of "Affect?" You may want to change that.

Chidi29
06-15-2013, 11:18 PM
hey, not to be a dick, but on the site, shouldn't it be "Effect" instead of "Affect?" You may want to change that.

Ah....the great debate. I usually go with "e" or bust but I looked up to try and make sure I got it right.

This site says to use affect.

http://words.journalism.ku.edu/affect.html

“Affect” as a verb. (The norm) To have an influence on; to impress or to move; to produce a change in something or someone.

But honestly, I really have no idea if it's right. I like to think I have decent grammar but that is one thing I never figured out. I thought "affect" looked wrong too but hey, it's the Internet and it's never wrong, right?

pepsyman1
06-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Ah....the great debate. I usually go with "e" or bust but I looked up to try and make sure I got it right.

“Affect” as a verb. (The norm) To have an influence on; to impress or to move; to produce a change in something or someone.

But honestly, I really have no idea if it's right. I like to think I have decent grammar but that is one thing I never figured out. I thought "affect" looked wrong too but hey, it's the Internet and it's never wrong, right?

Chidi, that you were already aware and already researched it before anyone else had noticed is all the back up I need. That puts you only 10 steps ahead of 95% of the Internet "journalists" I've seen who are too lazy to do a spell check let alone double check their grammar. I'd say you're doing just fine. "affect" works for me. Lol

fansince'76
06-15-2013, 11:44 PM

In this case, I'm pretty sure the "Mike Wallace effect" is a noun, so "effect" is the proper usage: http://english.clas.asu.edu/files/shared/enged/AffectvsEffect.pdf

3. A scientific law, hypothesis, or phenomenon

EXAMPLE: The Greenhouse Effect is the rise in temperature that the Earth experiences because certain gases in the atmosphere

trap energy from the sun.

Chidi29
06-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Hmm...bummer

Craic
06-16-2013, 01:34 AM

It should be "effect," since you're talking about what he brought about.

"Affect" is more the way(s) that something a person does influences something or another person. "My little escaped affected the entire audience." "Mike Wallace's on field performance affected his team mates."

"Effect" is more along the lines of bringing something about or accomplishing something. "The final effect of my little escaped was a $10,000 check in exchange for a promise to never get up on a Chippendales stage during amateur night again." "The effect of Mike Wallace's speed was seen in the cushion DBs gave him." "Mike Wallace effected open receivers on the other side of the field."

Or, what relates more to your title, "The Mike Wallace effect will be missed this year."

Chidi29
06-16-2013, 01:43 AM
Chippendale images burned in my head aside, I learned something today.

GBMelBlount
06-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Perhaps Chidi didn't post the articles because he knew how it would affect the board members.

Anyway, I gotta agree with Hindes.

Thanks for posting.

Hindes204

you are a very talented young man with a bright future, I enjoy reading your analysis of the game. Post as many articles as you like

SteelGhost
06-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Wow Chidi :hail:

HollywoodSteel
06-16-2013, 12:49 PM
It should be "effect," since you're talking about what he brought about.

"Affect" is more the way(s) that something a person does influences something or another person. "My little escaped affected the entire audience." "Mike Wallace's on field performance affected his team mates."

"Effect" is more along the lines of bringing something about or accomplishing something. "The final effect of my little escaped was a $10,000 check in exchange for a promise to never get up on a Chippendales stage during amateur night again." "The effect of Mike Wallace's speed was seen in the cushion DBs gave him." "Mike Wallace effected open receivers on the other side of the field."

Or, what relates more to your title, "The Mike Wallace effect will be missed this year."

Actually, it should be ,"Mike Wallace affected open receivers on the other side of the field."

"Affected" is your active verb in that sentence, not a result of another verb. Other than that, you were spot on.

HollywoodSteel
06-16-2013, 12:56 PM
A pretty easy general rule is if you can swap the word for "result" it should be "effect." If it has an "ed" at the end it is almost certainly "affected." If you put the word "to" in front of it, it is almost certainly "affect."

zulater
06-16-2013, 01:15 PM
I'll wager anyone that if Ben stays healthy he'll have a more productive season this year and the wide receivers as a unit will do so also.

So so much for the Mike Wallace affect. :coffee:

Addition by subtraction 2012 Mike Wallace wont be missed even a little.

Now if you're point is 2009-11 Mike Wallace was missed last year I'll agree with you. But that guy barely showed up last season, the 2012 version was mostly worthless. I'm not buying into the premise that he did a whole fucking lot to open up things for others. As I remember it was when Brown went down that Ben had so much trouble finding anyone open that he reverted to hero ball and got his ribs blown up.

Chidi29
06-16-2013, 01:30 PM
I wasn't trying to say that on the whole, losing Wallace will be a crushing blow to the team. We've lost key pieces before and have survived. We'll do it again.
But there's no denying that it's special to have a guy that can just outrun coverages like he did. You don't have to get ultra-creative with him. And guys like that are tough to replace.

zulater
06-16-2013, 01:56 PM
I wasn't trying to say that on the whole, losing Wallace will be a crushing blow to the team. We've lost key pieces before and have survived. We'll do it again.
But there's no denying that it's special to have a guy that can just outrun coverages like he did. You don't have to get ultra-creative with him. And guys like that are tough to replace.

Sorry. I've just had my fill of Mike Wallace already. To me the guy checked out on the team last year. I'm not a big fan of quitters. Particularly ones that haven't won anything.

Chidi29
06-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Sorry. I've just had my fill of Mike Wallace already. To me the guy checked out on the team last year. I'm not a big fan of quitters. Particularly ones that haven't won anything.

I'm not talking about his attitude, I'm just talking about his speed. Article doesn't mean to imply we should have kept him. We weren't going to at that price so entertaining the idea was a moot point anyway. But are we going to see that kind of speed on the roster again this year? No. And that was the article's point.

zulater
06-16-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm not talking about his attitude, I'm just talking about his speed. Article doesn't mean to imply we should have kept him. We weren't going to at that price so entertaining the idea was a moot point anyway. But are we going to see that kind of speed on the roster again this year? No. And that was the article's point.

It's not as if our opponents are going to leave this year's x receiver uncovered. I'm sure whoever it is they line up out there, be it Wheaton, Sanders, or other, they'll make some plays and draw extra coverage situationally.

If Wheaton and Sanders run better routes and don't drop the ball as often as wallace did last season then chances are we'll get more value out of that position this season than last.

Chidi29
06-16-2013, 02:40 PM
It's not as if our opponents are going to leave this year's x receiver uncovered. I'm sure whoever it is they line up out there, be it Wheaton, Sanders, or other, they'll make some plays and draw extra coverage situationally.

If Wheaton and Sanders run better routes and don't drop the ball as often as wallace did last season then chances are we'll get more value out of that position this season than last.

It's not about just drawing extra coverage. In the play I used in the article, there was no one over the top. Frankly, drawing coverage does happen, but I really think that's become more of a crutch and cliche for a lot of fans/analysts.

It's about having a guy that can burn a cornerback playing off coverage and bail technique for an 80+ TD. Those don't grow on trees.

steelreserve
06-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Apparently we've got two new guys with that kind of speed on the roster. Can either of them play WR for shit? Who knows!

Chidi29
06-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Apparently we've got two new guys with that kind of speed on the roster. Can either of them play WR for shit? Who knows!

Who are you talking about? Dunn and...?

And either way, sure they're fast. Doesn't mean they'll ever come close to the production Wallace had. Let's see if they even make the team before anything else.

Chidi29
06-16-2013, 03:52 PM
New article for the site though it deals with the Pirates,

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/pittsburgh-pirates-minor-league-report/

Texasteel
06-16-2013, 04:03 PM
When talking about Wallace you can probably use any of the words, Effect, Affect, or Infect. I kinda feel like,,,,,,,,, wish he was here, glad he's gone. I'm so confused.

Chidi29
06-16-2013, 04:08 PM
When talking about Wallace you can probably use any of the words, Effect, Affect, or Infect. I kinda feel like,,,,,,,,, wish he was here, glad he's gone. I'm so confused.

I'm not choked up about the loss either. But no one can deny the unique speed he had and ability to win any one-on-one matchup

Craic
06-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Actually, it should be ,"Mike Wallace affected open receivers on the other side of the field."

"Affected" is your active verb in that sentence, not a result of another verb. Other than that, you were spot on.

Yes and no. If you're trying to say that Mike Wallace had an influence on the open receivers on the other side of the field, then "affect" is the right verb. However, I was saying that the effect of Mike Wallace culminated in the fact that there were open receivers on the other side of the field. Hence, Mike Wallace effected (created) open receivers on the other side of the field. I think what's causing your ears to hurt is the fact that it's a very stilted way of saying it and to the ear, it sounds a lot better to say "affected," though to mean what I wanted it to mean, it would've been wrong. All in all, it was probably a bad example.

- - - Updated - - -

That reminds me of a girlfriend I once had in my bad days . . . and I'm not telling which part of the sentence either! :wink02:

steelreserve
06-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Who are you talking about? Dunn and...?

And either way, sure they're fast. Doesn't mean they'll ever come close to the production Wallace had. Let's see if they even make the team before anything else.

Isn't Wheaton supposed to be that fast? He was a track star in college.

Who knows if he'll be effective, but if he doesn't make the team I'd be very surprised, if for no other reason than he was a third-round pick. I'm optimistic that one out of those two guys will contribute something, which is about what the odds are.

zulater
06-16-2013, 06:22 PM

Who knows if he'll be effective, but if he doesn't make the team I'd be very surprised, if for no other reason than he was a third-round pick. I'm optimistic that one out of those two guys will contribute something, which is about what the odds are.

Wheaton ran track but is slightly slower than Wallace. Wallace is a 4.3 guy and Wheaton is mid 4.4 range. But he's known to be a better route runner and has better hands, so who knows, maybe that will cancel it out?

All I know is the Steelers survived 80 seasons and won 6 Super Bowls without Mike Wallace on the roster. So fuck him, go fucking play on the Dolphins you greedy fucking ball dropping, piss poor route running piece of shit! Hope you run Tannehill into as many interceptions as you did Ben with your poor routes and giving up on plays.

Chidi29
06-16-2013, 07:23 PM

I would put Wheaton in the Sanders/Brown category than Wallace. Quick to the tuck guy with some speed but as Zu said, a tick below Wallace's level.

I'm concerned about Wheaton being able to contribute this year because he's a late grad. Missed basically all the learning periods and is going to be thrown in training camp well behind everyone else.

EDIT: And I think we're getting too caught up with Dunn's 40 time and kickoff TD numbers. That's not going to happen at this level and we pretty much know nothing else about the dude. He better be able to wear multiple hats or he won't make the team.

steelreserve
06-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Wheaton ran track but is slightly slower than Wallace. Wallace is a 4.3 guy and Wheaton is mid 4.4 range. But he's known to be a better route runner and has better hands, so who knows, maybe that will cancel it out?

All I know is the Steelers survived 80 seasons and won 6 Super Bowls without Mike Wallace on the roster. So fuck him, go fucking play on the Dolphins you greedy fucking ball dropping, piss poor route running piece of shit! Hope you run Tannehill into as many interceptions as you did Ben with your poor routes and giving up on plays.

The first part, I don't know ... a tenth of a second in the 40 doesn't mean much; have to see what he can do on the field. I think there are plenty of guys with speed similar to Wallace's, and that includes a lot of guys in the 4.4 range, but Wallace just had an uncanny ability to find the exact most dangerous angles and gaps where that speed killed. Just blowing past people in the open field I don't really know about; you can get a half-step on someone maybe and hope that you get a perfect throw, but getting wide open way down the field is more like you got the DB crossed up or hesitating. Can Wheaton do that? Again, a total crapshoot, who knows. Have to wait and see how his speed translates into football speed. I wouldn't call him "slower" than anyone, though.

As for the second part of your post, I was happy to hear every single word of it.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: And I think we're getting too caught up with Dunn's 40 time and kickoff TD numbers. That's not going to happen at this level and we pretty much know nothing else about the dude. He better be able to wear multiple hats or he won't make the team.

Also, this is completely right - Dunn is basically a huge wildcard with one really tempting attribute that we know about. If you're just talking about game-changing speed, we know he's got that. Whether he can actually change the game with it, who knows, roll the dice.

Chidi29
06-16-2013, 08:25 PM
The first part, I don't know ... a tenth of a second in the 40 doesn't mean much; have to see what he can do on the field. I think there are plenty of guys with speed similar to Wallace's, and that includes a lot of guys in the 4.4 range, but Wallace just had an uncanny ability to find the exact most dangerous angles and gaps where that speed killed. Just blowing past people in the open field I don't really know about; you can get a half-step on someone maybe and hope that you get a perfect throw, but getting wide open way down the field is more like you got the DB crossed up or hesitating. Can Wheaton do that? Again, a total crapshoot, who knows. Have to wait and see how his speed translates into football speed. I wouldn't call him "slower" than anyone, though.

As for the second part of your post, I was happy to hear every single word of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, this is completely right - Dunn is basically a huge wildcard with one really tempting attribute that we know about. If you're just talking about game-changing speed, we know he's got that. Whether he can actually change the game with it, who knows, roll the dice.

I mean, why did Dunn only get 10 returns his senior year? Maybe there were just kicking away from him but still, just 10 returns?

And why did he barely touch the ball on offense? Just something like 30-35 touches rushing and receiving?

HollywoodSteel
06-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Yes and no. If you're trying to say that Mike Wallace had an influence on the open receivers on the other side of the field, then "affect" is the right verb. However, I was saying that the effect of Mike Wallace culminated in the fact that there were open receivers on the other side of the field. Hence, Mike Wallace effected (created) open receivers on the other side of the field. I think what's causing your ears to hurt is the fact that it's a very stilted way of saying it and to the ear, it sounds a lot better to say "affected," though to mean what I wanted it to mean, it would've been wrong. All in all, it was probably a bad example.

With all due respect, I think you might be misunderstanding the difference between the words; it really doesn't matter what you were trying to convey, what matters is the role the word plays in the sentence. If you were trying to say "created," then "affected" is still the right word for it. Think of it this way, "affect" is to "create" as "effect" is to "creation." You wouldn't say "Mike Wallace creation open receivers..." Creation and effect are nouns, create and affect are verbs. If you look at your sentence for example, without affected with an "a" your sentence would have no verb. What's extra confusing is that there are examples of "effect" and "effected" being verbs, but they have a different meaning: brought about. Like if you could say, "Congress effected changes to the law." But you'd say, "Congress' actions affected the law greatly." Unless that's the meaning you were going for and I misunderstood what you meant by "created."

Now that I re-read it... that is probably what you meant. Never mind. :)

I'm sure this is all really compelling stuff for the rest of the commenters here...

Craic
06-17-2013, 01:47 AM
Now that I re-read it... that is probably what you meant. Never mind. :)

:chuckle: Can't tell you how many times I write something up, only to go back and realized that I did what you just did.

Steeldude
06-17-2013, 05:38 AM
I am happy the WR with poor effort and poor hands is in Miami.

Psycho Ward 86
06-17-2013, 03:44 PM
dunn is seriously in the discussion as a deep threat receiver? kid's season stats as a receiver look like stats from a single game. he's not making the team because he isnt shit aside from being a returnman. And a kick returner ONLY at that.

Even then he's not making the team solely as a kick returner we made that mistake before. His name was Stefan Logan and he just wasnt worth it.

Mojouw
06-17-2013, 05:47 PM
I don't really want to restart the debate on whether it is a good thing or bad thing that Wallace left, what his value is or is not to the Steelers, but to say that there are plenty of wideouts with speed similar to Wallace's is just not true. I am pretty sure he is listed as running a 4.33, but he sure seems faster than even that. Check out the play below. At least 3 defenders have the angle on him and his speed simply makes it not matter.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000090196/Wallace-51-yd-TD

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000090196/Wallace-51-yd-TD

I am not attempting to start an argument or call anyone out, but let us not all forget that despite Wallace's flaws as a WR, a team member, etc AND the fact that there is a version of the Steelers offense that is BETTER even with Wallace leaving, he can flat out fly faster than all but 4 or 5 guys in the league.

Dwinsgames
06-17-2013, 11:33 PM
one could argue it is easier to get to where you are going fast when you know where you are going .... the defenders have to react to what you are doing and that in itself makes them a bit slower because unless they are playing the ball they do not know where your going until you go there

Psycho Ward 86
06-17-2013, 11:56 PM
honestly as long as Haley is the OC i dont care about having receivers with absolutely blistering straightline speed. if wheaton pans out, our trio of brown, sanders, and wheaton will suffice imo. i just hope brown wont have to shoulder the load as the Do-it-all receiver. if he goes down and heath isnt healthy yet, our offense is going to be a flaccid dick in a blizzard

Chidi29
06-20-2013, 11:18 AM
New Article taking a look at what not to do in the red zone.

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/all-22-what-not-to-do-in-the-red-zone/

zulater
06-20-2013, 04:43 PM
honestly as long as Haley is the OC i dont care about having receivers with absolutely blistering straightline speed. if wheaton pans out, our trio of brown, sanders, and wheaton will suffice imo. i just hope brown wont have to shoulder the load as the Do-it-all receiver. if he goes down and heath isnt healthy yet, our offense is going to be a flaccid dick in a blizzard

Maybe I'm crazy, but I really think Plax can be an assett in the red zone. Good hands and height have greater value than speed when everyone's packed in tight.

steeldawg
06-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but I really think Plax can be an assett in the red zone. Good hands and height have greater value than speed when everyone's packed in tight.

Plax will be an asset in the redzone, I think he will catch at least 8 tds this season. The reason I think that is because our other wideouts are not big targets or good jump ball guys so I think most of their scores will be something they break from outside the redzone.

Psycho Ward 86
06-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Plax has hands? Lolwut

Dwinsgames
06-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Plax has hands? Lolwut

his hands are far better than Wallaces , they are also better than EITHER of their jump ball abilities ...that was always my biggest bitch about Plax in his first stint was his lack of leaping for a jump ball , he is a big guy who does not always use his size to its full advantage IMO .... but unlike some here I think he still has some value

GBMelBlount
06-20-2013, 10:01 PM
his hands are far better than Wallaces , they are also better than EITHER of their jump ball abilities ...that was always my biggest bitch about Plax in his first stint was his lack of leaping for a jump ball , he is a big guy who does not always use his size to its full advantage IMO .... but unlike some here I think he still has some value

Plaxico Burress last 4 full years:...32 Touchdowns 3000 yards

Mike Wallace last 4 years:...........32 Touchdowns 4000 yards

If Burress has ANYTHING left in the tank he is a good value.

Seven
06-20-2013, 11:46 PM
I agree with those of you saying Burress will prove valuable. If his season with the Jets is any type of indicator he's still an elite red zone target. And I have an inkling he can be more than that, too. Beyond this season? I don't know. But I think for this year at least we have a decent weapon in Plaxico. At least his hands are better than Wallace's.

Steeldude
06-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Plax will be an asset in the redzone, I think he will catch at least 8 tds this season. The reason I think that is because our other wideouts are not big targets or good jump ball guys so I think most of their scores will be something they break from outside the redzone.

Burress rarely jumps for a pass. That was one of his problems when he was here earlier. He also failed to extend his hands up to catch the pass. Also, why would he jump for a ball? You are the one who said it's not the WR's job to fight for a pass.

steeldawg
06-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Burress rarely jumps for a pass. That was one of his problems when he was here earlier. He also failed to extend his hands up to catch the pass. Also, why would he jump for a ball? You are the one who said it's not the WR's job to fight for a pass.

No I didn't, I said Wallace is not a jump ball receiver so expecting him to out muscle corners for the football is unrealistic and ridiculous. Wallace should not of had to out jump guys because of his speed hes behind defenses if your throwing passes to him where he has to stop and out jump coverage then your not using his skill set. buress does not have great speed so he uses his size, we are not going to now say its buress's job to blow by defenses. A wideouts job is to get open and make catches using his skill set.

Psycho Ward 86
06-21-2013, 04:23 PM
plax was horrible at utilizing his size. he might as well have been an average sized receiver. And no, he was a crappy jump ball receiver with lazy combatative ball skills and bad hands. A "cradle catcher." Oh how quickly fans forget at their own convenience....

We need Heath healthy fast.

zulater
06-21-2013, 05:11 PM
plax was horrible at utilizing his size. he might as well have been an average sized receiver. And no, he was a crappy jump ball receiver with lazy combatative ball skills and bad hands. A "cradle catcher." Oh how quickly fans forget at their own convenience....

We need Heath healthy fast.

Was is the key word here. After he left the Steelers he became a more complete receiver and learned how to utilize his size effectively.

Steeldude
06-21-2013, 07:46 PM
No I didn't, I said Wallace is not a jump ball receiver so expecting him to out muscle corners for the football is unrealistic and ridiculous. Wallace should not of had to out jump guys because of his speed hes behind defenses if your throwing passes to him where he has to stop and out jump coverage then your not using his skill set. buress does not have great speed so he uses his size, we are not going to now say its buress's job to blow by defenses. A wideouts job is to get open and make catches using his skill set.

Not all passes are going to be accurate. To say it's not your job or that it's unrealistic and ridiculous to expect a WR to fight for a jump ball is 100% wrong. The WR's job is to catch the pass at all costs.

we are not going to now say its buress's job to blow by defenses

He is supposed to run as fast as he can? Or should he just coast because it would be unrealistic and ridiculous for him to try to outrun fast DBs?

A wideouts job is to get open and make catches using his skill set

Oh, so if a jump ball isn't their skill set then they shouldn't try? Since when do players limit their skills? Shouldn't every multi-million dollar WR be able to jump for a pass if need be? Jumping should be a natural thing.

steelreserve
06-21-2013, 07:59 PM

Seriously, WTF is this? Every receiver everywhere needs to be able to fight for the ball. QBs make bad throws and DBs make good plays. This is like total "duh" level. Plus, despite being really quick, most DBs are like 4 feet tall, so if you're even regular size for a WR you ought to be able to just dickslap them out of the way and that will help your game a lot. In other words, see exactly what Steeldude said. vvv

Not all passes are going to be accurate. To say it's not your job or that it's unrealistic and ridiculous to expect a WR to fight for a jump ball is 100% wrong. The WR's job is to catch the pass at all costs.

He is supposed to run as fast as he can? Or should he just coast because it would be unrealistic and ridiculous for him to try to outrun fast DBs?

Oh, so if a jump ball isn't their skill set then they shouldn't try? Since when do players limit their skills? Shouldn't every multi-million dollar WR be able to jump for a pass if need be? Jumping should be a natural thing.

steeldawg
06-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Seriously, WTF is this? Every receiver everywhere needs to be able to fight for the ball. QBs make bad throws and DBs make good plays. This is like total "duh" level. Plus, despite being really quick, most DBs are like 4 feet tall, so if you're even regular size for a WR you ought to be able to just dickslap them out of the way and that will help your game a lot. In other words, see exactly what Steeldude said. vvv

Really do we see every receiver in the nfl jumping over dbs and high pointing footballs? yes passes will be thrown poorly that doesn't mean every receiver is a jump ball receiver there is a reason they have different receiver positions and receivers with different skill sets. Also if you think guys like Antonio brown and Emmanuel sanders are going to be "dick slapping" dbs out of the way and catching jump balls all over the field you are delusional. I don't think its browns job or sanders job to be jump ball receivers that's not what we signed them for.

steeldawg
06-22-2013, 11:22 AM

He can run as fast as can but that doesn't make him fast! you don't tell plaxico buress , "hey plax we need you to use your below average speed to blow by dbs, its unrealistic and its not his job. What is this not trying crap? you have a trying measurement? Jumping is natural that doesn't make us all good at it. Its ridiculous for us to sign receivers barely 6' tall and expect jump ball receivers not to mention if you look at browns combine stats his vertical is dreadful. By your standards because we can all jump and run as long as we do it our hardest we can play wideout.

Count Steeler
06-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Jump ball receiver doesn't mean you have to jump for every catch.

All they are saying, at least once in a while, when the situation is called for, that Wallace should JUMP! He should not just let the ball go without any effort and say "Well, jumping is not in my skill set, so I might as well not even try"

Steeldude
06-22-2013, 02:50 PM
He can run as fast as can but that doesn't make him fast! you don't tell plaxico buress , "hey plax we need you to use your below average speed to blow by dbs, its unrealistic and its not his job. What is this not trying crap? you have a trying measurement? Jumping is natural that doesn't make us all good at it. Its ridiculous for us to sign receivers barely 6' tall and expect jump ball receivers not to mention if you look at browns combine stats his vertical is dreadful. By your standards because we can all jump and run as long as we do it our hardest we can play wideout.

By your standards because we can all jump and run as long as we do it our hardest we can play wideout

I neither said that or even implied it. Your claim is that Wallace doesn't need to jump for passes because that's not his skill set. As for not trying, that is well documented by watching Wallace flat out give up on passes. I guess it would be unrealistic and ridiculous to expect Wallace to try for a pass thrown low because diving is not his skill set, right?

What you are saying is that a pass thrown a little too long should be given up on if the WR's skill set is not speed and if a pass is too high it should be given up on by a WR whose skill set is not jumping.

No one said some people aren't better than others at jumping. You are saying that if you aren't a good jumper than why bother doing it at all.

Why do you want WRs to refrain from improving their skills? For $13,000,000 you don't expect your WR to jump for passes and do all that he can do to catch the pass?

Explain to me how it's unrealistic and ridiculous to expect Wallace or any WR in the NFL, to jump for a pass?

Count Steeler
06-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Explain to me how it's unrealistic and ridiculous to expect Wallace or any WR in the NFL, to jump for a pass?

Especially at 13,000,000 per year. I'll jump for half that.

Steeltreal
06-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Remember there is no Force Out Rule in the Endzone.

Its not goin to make sense for a small size WR to play jumpball near the Chalk . The Defense can blast them O.O.B instead of play the ball. Advantage DB

steeldawg
06-23-2013, 07:55 AM
I neither said that or even implied it. Your claim is that Wallace doesn't need to jump for passes because that's not his skill set. As for not trying, that is well documented by watching Wallace flat out give up on passes. I guess it would be unrealistic and ridiculous to expect Wallace to try for a pass thrown low because diving is not his skill set, right?

What you are saying is that a pass thrown a little too long should be given up on if the WR's skill set is not speed and if a pass is too high it should be given up on by a WR whose skill set is not jumping.

No one said some people aren't better than others at jumping. You are saying that if you aren't a good jumper than why bother doing it at all.

Why do you want WRs to refrain from improving their skills? For $13,000,000 you don't expect your WR to jump for passes and do all that he can do to catch the pass?

Just because a guy doesn't play jump balls well doesn't mean hes not trying, Wallace has been the leading receiver on this team for the past 4 years he has the stats to back it up, and he just got took a 60 million dollar contract after turning down a 70 million dollar contract, you really think nfl teams where going to pay that money (steelers wanted to give him 50 million) for guy who doesn't try? A jump ball receiver and not jumping at all are 2 different things, when your running as fast as Wallace does its hard to stop on a dime 50 yds down the field come back for a ball then jump over a db and catch it.

- - - Updated - - -

Especially at 13,000,000 per year. I'll jump for half that.

Its not the point of not jumping its being good at it. Wallace doesn't get paid 13,000,000 to be a jump ball receiver, if you get a guy with that speed and decide we are going throw him jump balls well that would be stupid, same with burress you wouldn't pay burress and expect him to run by double teams and catch 80 yard bombs.

Count Steeler
06-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Its not the point of not jumping its being good at it. Wallace doesn't get paid 13,000,000 to be a jump ball receiver, if you get a guy with that speed and decide we are going throw him jump balls well that would be stupid, same with burress you wouldn't pay burress and expect him to run by double teams and catch 80 yard bombs.

And Roethlisberger gets paid to throw perfect passes on every down. Oh wait, that is not possible. Some passes are errant. If Wallace has no adjustment skills, including being able to jump, he is way overpaid. Some passes need you to stretch out, maybe even dive. A 60mil receiver that can only cradle catch is not a player I want on my team.

A new speed receiver to the league will take a while to get adjusted to. Hence Wallace was great for the beginning of his career. If all he has is speed, defenses can defend against that as some started doing against him. Especially if you pop him early, he was pretty well done for the day.

In order for Miami to reap any benefit from Wallace, he has to expand his game.

steeldawg
06-23-2013, 08:22 AM
And Roethlisberger gets paid to throw perfect passes on every down. Oh wait, that is not possible. Some passes are errant. If Wallace has no adjustment skills, including being able to jump, he is way overpaid. Some passes need you to stretch out, maybe even dive. A 60mil receiver that can only cradle catch is not a player I want on my team.

A new speed receiver to the league will take a while to get adjusted to. Hence Wallace was great for the beginning of his career. If all he has is speed, defenses can defend against that as some started doing against him. Especially if you pop him early, he was pretty well done for the day.

In order for Miami to reap any benefit from Wallace, he has to expand his game.

He does have adjustment skill if he didn't there is no way he would of caught as many passes he has over his career unless your contending every pass he caught was perfectly thrown? The whole point of having a speed receiver is for them to be separated from the db not to be jumping over the db.

Dwinsgames
06-23-2013, 08:34 AM
He does have adjustment skill if he didn't there is no way he would of caught as many passes he has over his career unless your contending every pass he caught was perfectly thrown? The whole point of having a speed receiver is for them to be separated from the db not to be jumping over the db.

if you can not do it all you are not a complete receiver ..... and that has been the argument this entire time in what 50 threads ????

Steeldude
06-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Just because a guy doesn't play jump balls well doesn't mean hes not trying, Wallace has been the leading receiver on this team for the past 4 years he has the stats to back it up, and he just got took a 60 million dollar contract after turning down a 70 million dollar contract, you really think nfl teams where going to pay that money (steelers wanted to give him 50 million) for guy who doesn't try? A jump ball receiver and not jumping at all are 2 different things, when your running as fast as Wallace does its hard to stop on a dime 50 yds down the field come back for a ball then jump over a db and catch it.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody is saying you don't have certain WRs running certain patterns. We are trying to explain to you that not every pass is perfect so a WR has to jump, dive and/or fight for the pass. Every NFL WR should be able to jump for passes. Far too often Wallace has shown that he will not jump or fight for a pass. It was already shown, more than once, that Wallace flat out did not try to catch some passes. This was pointed out to you before.

when your running as fast as Wallace does its hard to stop on a dime 50 yds down the field come back for a ball then jump over a db and catch it

No, it's not hard at all. It's called reading the ball. A skill Wallace doesn't possess....yet.

It's every WRs job to catch the ball at all costs. There is no reason, other than laziness, that Wallace can't jump for a pass(if need be) or fight off a DB on every play, not some plays, but every play.

Teams pay all sorts of money to players who don't try all of the time. Look at Moss. He openly admitted he doesn't try, but teams still paid him big bucks. There goes that excuse : ) Teams also pay pathetic players too much money. Look at Kordell Stewart. He showed he was not an NFL QB, but the Steelers gave him a raise anyway.

Count Steeler
06-23-2013, 08:42 AM

Well, his adjustments skills are waning. How many dropped passes last year? Don't give me those bullshit stats from some website. From the games you have watched, is Wallace getting better or worse at "adjustments"?

zulater
06-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Well, his adjustments skills are waning. How many dropped passes last year? Don't give me those bullshit stats from some website. From the games you have watched, is Wallace getting better or worse at "adjustments"?

It wouldn't surprise me if Wallace has a helluva year this year. 2009-11 Mike Wallace was a weapon and an ascending talent. But last year he let money get in the way. And to me that's unproffessional and an unpardonable sin for someone who plays a team sport. Especially on a team that had true Champrionship aspirations going into the season. Being on a contender should never be taken for granted.

steeldawg
06-23-2013, 09:08 AM

receivers drop balls he still had 64 catches and 8 tds in what was considered a down year, the problem is we don't know what adjustments hes making out there your taking only a handful of missed passes and using that as a measuring stick. I look at his career 235 catches 4000 yds and 32 tds which is right on pace with the other top wideouts in the league through their first 4 years. That tells me more about his ability than a few dropped passes during a season where the entire team played awful.

Dwinsgames
06-23-2013, 09:14 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if Wallace has a helluva year this year. 2009-11 Mike Wallace was a weapon and an ascending talent. But last year he let money get in the way. And to me that's unproffessional and an unpardonable sin for someone who plays a team sport. Especially on a team that had true Champrionship aspirations going into the season. Being on a contender should never be taken for granted.

it also would not surprise me if he had a horrible year , since money was so embedded in his brain and caused him to have a poor year , having more money than most people ever see in a lifetime piled into his lap may be an even larger distraction and cause him to fail miserably

steeldawg
06-23-2013, 09:15 AM

Maybe but maybe not, receivers have down years, after calvin johnsons 2008 season of 78 catches 1300yds and 12 tds, in 2009 he went for 64 catches 984yds and 5 tds. Was he not trying? was thinking about money? or did he just have a mediocre year?

zulater
06-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Maybe but maybe not, receivers have down years, after calvin johnsons 2008 season of 78 catches 1300yds and 12 tds, in 2009 he went for 64 catches 984yds and 5 tds. Was he not trying? was thinking about money? or did he just have a mediocre year?

No he had injury and quarterback issues. And don't make an ass of yourself and mention Calvin Johnson and Mike Wallace in the same sentence again in a favorable way.

Mike Wallace mailed it in last year. He went so far as to quit on the team completely and made up an injury to beg out of the last game of the season.

fuck him, I hope he breaks his leg in the first pre season game and does so much damage he never plays again.

Dwinsgames
06-23-2013, 09:38 AM
when your best asset on the field is speed your 1 play away from not being competitive the rest of your life ... see FAST Willie Parker as example of such , when speed is not longer an asset your game is no longer an asset .......

MCL , ACL , Lisfranc , broken foot , broken leg , broken ankle , severe high ankle sprain ( probably some I am missing ) all can END your career because you have just 1 dimension to your game .....THIS is the risk of having a Mike Wallace taking up 60 mill in cap space

steeldawg
06-23-2013, 09:39 AM
No he had injury and quarterback issues. And don't make an ass of yourself and mention Calvin Johnson and Mike Wallace in the same sentence again in a favorable way.

Mike Wallace mailed it in last year. He went so far as to quit on the team completely and made up an injury to beg out of the last game of the season.

fuck him, I hope he breaks his leg in the first pre season game and does so much damage he never plays again. why is that so much of a stretch look at the production over their first 4 seasons its pretty close, hate him all you want but those numbers don't lie.

zulater
06-23-2013, 09:46 AM
why is that so much of a stretch look at the production over their first 4 seasons its pretty close, hate him all you want but those numbers don't lie.

Yeah they do. First 4 years of Johnson's career quarterback was very much a liability in Detroit. When guys like Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky, a rookie Matt Stafford, and Shaun Hill are tossing you the rock chances are you wont set the league on fire with your stats.

Texasteel
06-23-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't think steeldawg was putting Wallace on Johnsons level, just pointing out that a superior WR can have a down year. However, zu's point of the QB playing a large part in the success of a WR is a very important point. I was a big Wallace fan till this past year. I saw to many balls hit him in the hands only to bounce off, often passes that would have gotten us a first down. I don't know if Mike has bad hands or if in is a case of bad concentration. I can remember a ball he grabbed just inches of the ground on a deep pass. You can, normally, however tell if a player is trying on every down, and to me, Mike didn't look to be putting out the effort he should have, particularly last year. Now Mike has his money and I hope he will put that part of the business behind him. I hope Mike has a good year, unless it hurts us that is.

steeldawg
06-23-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't think steeldawg was putting Wallace on Johnsons level, just pointing out that a superior WR can have a down year. However, zu's point of the QB playing a large part in the success of a WR is a very important point. I was a big Wallace fan till this past year. I saw to many balls hit him in the hands only to bounce off, often passes that would have gotten us a first down. I don't know if Mike has bad hands or if in is a case of bad concentration. I can remember a ball he grabbed just inches of the ground on a deep pass. You can, normally, however tell if a player is trying on every down, and to me, Mike didn't look to be putting out the effort he should have, particularly last year. Now Mike has his money and I hope he will put that part of the business behind him. I hope Mike has a good year, unless it hurts us that is.

no hes not on his level and they are two totally different receivers, yes even a receiver like Johnson who is a physical freak can have a down year and even Johnson drops passes. I also don't think Wallaces down year was a case of not trying, I think it was more a case of playing cautiously to avoid injury. Some would say its wrong but if you were on the verge of a huge payday would you go out and sacrifice your body for a franchise whose not going to invest in your future. Its not pee wee football, this is his job and his livelihood I don't blame him. If you where to ask these players with the money that is paid in todays game, if they had the choice to play 15 years in the league and sign 2 big deals and never win a superbowl or play 3 years on your rookie contract and win a superbowl I would guarantee these guys are taking the money.

zulater
06-23-2013, 04:32 PM
no hes not on his level and they are two totally different receivers, yes even a receiver like Johnson who is a physical freak can have a down year and even Johnson drops passes. I also don't think Wallaces down year was a case of not trying, I think it was more a case of playing cautiously to avoid injury. Some would say its wrong but if you were on the verge of a huge payday would you go out and sacrifice your body for a franchise whose not going to invest in your future. Its not pee wee football, this is his job and his livelihood I don't blame him. If you where to ask these players with the money that is paid in todays game, if they had the choice to play 15 years in the league and sign 2 big deals and never win a superbowl or play 3 years on your rookie contract and win a superbowl I would guarantee these guys are taking the money.

Great players put it all on the line every time they step on the field regardless of their contract. He mailed it in for a year. And he'll do it again no doubt when the opportunity arises. Why anyone would want to invest 60 million in a cap driven league on that sort of guy I don't know? Oh yeah that's right it's the dolphins.

GBMelBlount
06-23-2013, 04:33 PM
if you were on the verge of a huge payday would you go out and sacrifice your body for a franchise whose not going to invest in your future.

Yes, I would.

I simply cannot comprehend any competitive athlete giving less than 100%.

steeldawg
06-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Great players put it all on the line every time they step on the field regardless of their contract. He mailed it in for a year. And he'll do it again no doubt when the opportunity arises. Why anyone would want to invest 60 million in a cap driven league on that sort of guy I don't know? Oh yeah that's right it's the dolphins.

sorry but great players have contracts, 3rd round picks who have a no contract and a future to think about do the best thing for their career. And ya the dolphins paid him the steelers tried too and so did the Vikings. These guys play for money not the glory of game, its very easy to sit on your couch and make career decisions for someone else when you don't have to live with the consequences.

Mojouw
06-23-2013, 05:18 PM
The NFL is a business. It is a business that many of us would like to be in and may wish we could trade places with the fortunate few who are in the NFL, but a business nonetheless. Most careers are between 3 and 6 years. So that means that between the ages of say 20 and 26 these guys have to make all (or at least most of) the money they ever will in life. Not surprisingly they go for the largest guaranteed contract they can find and let team issues and winning be secondary concerns.

If you look at Wallace's contract, they are only really committed to him for like 3 years. He has a miniscule cap hit this year ($1 million) in order to allow the Dolphins to sign all of the free agents. Next year Wallace has a huge hit, $15 million or so, and it drops to a more realistic # in the 3rd or 4th year of the deal. Basically Wallace's cap #'s are manipulated in a way that allowed the Dolphins to spend big this year, not so much in 2014 and then leaves money available in 2015 for when the likely massive Tannehill extenstion has to go on the books. Fairly simple, if you have a rookie QB under the new CBA, you have 2-3 years where you can spend like crazy before you have to start paying the MASSIVE dollars that a veteran franchise QB commands. The Seahawks and Dolphins are definitely seeing the benefit of this phenomena.

Finally, we can debate whether Wallace tried or not last season. Doesn't matter. An objective look at the evidence and data to date makes it clear that Wallace possess an elite skill and the NFL market is such that elite skills (things only a handful of guys in the league can do) means you will get paid dumptrucks full of money.

tube517
06-23-2013, 05:31 PM
dunn is seriously in the discussion as a deep threat receiver? kid's season stats as a receiver look like stats from a single game. he's not making the team because he isnt shit aside from being a returnman. And a kick returner ONLY at that.

Even then he's not making the team solely as a kick returner we made that mistake before. His name was Stefan Logan and he just wasnt worth it.

Even worse than Stefan Logan was Willie Reid. How he even stayed on the team for more than one year is mind boggling. And, he was a 3rd round pick! I know Wallace stunk last year but Reid sucked and didn't produce at all. People tend to forget how high he was drafted and what a flat out bust he was. Horrible.

Psycho Ward 86
06-23-2013, 05:54 PM
MCL , ACL , Lisfranc , broken foot , broken leg , broken ankle , severe high ankle sprain ( probably some I am missing ) all can END your career because you have just 1 dimension to your game .....THIS is the risk of having a Mike Wallace taking up 60 mill in cap space

WHOOOOAAAAA hold up! Im all for letting wallace have it for sucking it up last season, but those torn ACL's, lisfranc, broken feet, and broken legs? Those are career enders/ruiners for any professional football player. Lol jesus christ, you picked out some of the worst, yet fairly common injuries out there

Dwinsgames
06-23-2013, 06:37 PM
WHOOOOAAAAA hold up! Im all for letting wallace have it for sucking it up last season, but those torn ACL's, lisfranc, broken feet, and broken legs? Those are career enders/ruiners for any professional football player. Lol jesus christ, you picked out some of the worst, yet fairly common injuries out there

they are career enders for guys who have a limited skill set such as speed ..... not so much for well rounded players who have the ability to adapt their game because they have a multitude skills ...

Willie Parker is an example , once the leg was broke and the speed came down to earth with the rest of the league he was just another so so RB looking for a job Wallace is the Fast Willie Parker of WR's

Steeldude
06-23-2013, 08:02 PM
sorry but great players have contracts, 3rd round picks who have a no contract and a future to think about do the best thing for their career. And ya the dolphins paid him the steelers tried too and so did the Vikings. These guys play for money not the glory of game, its very easy to sit on your couch and make career decisions for someone else when you don't have to live with the consequences.

So Haynesworth is a great player? Jamarcus Russell is a great player? They both were given great contracts.

The Steelers were trying to pay him, but not the absurd amount he wanted.

The bottom line is you are saying it's ok for a WR not to try for passes thrown his way.

You are the GM. You just signed a WR to a multi-million dollar contract. Do you expect him to try to catch every pass thrown his way? What do you do, as a GM, when that WR decides not to try/jump/dive etc... for a pass? Do you say, "That's ok. It's not your skill set"?

steeldawg
06-23-2013, 08:29 PM
So Haynesworth is a great player? Jamarcus Russell is a great player? They both were given great contracts.

The bottom line is you are saying it's ok for a WR not to try for passes thrown his way.

You are the GM. You just signed a WR to a multi-million dollar contract. Do you expect him to try to catch every pass thrown his way? What do you do, as a GM, when that WR decides not to try/jump/dive etc... for a pass? Do you say, "That's ok. It's not your skill set"?

No I dont if im the GM i dont pay a guy an absurd amount of money for his speed and then throw him jump balls. I expect him to try to catch passes but im not expecting to make jump ball plays with any consistency. It doesnt matter how much money you pay a guy it wont change his skill set, if hes not fast he still wont be fast and if hes not a great leaper he still wont bbe a great leaper. I doubt the dolphins and the vikings where looking at wallace and thinking if we pay him enough money I bet he becomes a great jump ball receiver.

- - - Updated - - -

No I dont if im the GM i dont pay a guy an absurd amount of money for his speed and then throw him jump balls. I expect him to try to catch passes but im not expecting to make jump ball plays with any consistency. It doesnt matter how much money you pay a guy it wont change his skill set, if hes not fast he still wont be fast and if hes not a great leaper he still wont bbe a great leaper. I doubt the dolphins and the vikings where looking at wallace and thinking if we pay him enough money I bet he becomes a great jump ball receiver.

Texasteel
06-23-2013, 11:53 PM
I don't think people are saying that Wallace should become a great jumper, or be able to out mussel a stronger defender. I think they are saying that he should jump as high as he can, and fight for the ball as hard as he can, and they don't think they saw that. This is all perception. One person may see him doing all this and another see's him as slacking off. It's all as we see it though our own eyes, it's all just an opinion.

Steeldude
06-24-2013, 12:16 AM

You still aren't getting it. No one said they are going to deliberately throw jump balls to Wallace. Do you even read what others have written or what you have written?

Actually, a person can work on their speed and jumping ability, more so for jumping.

Steeldude: You are the GM. You just signed a WR to a multi-million dollar contract. Do you expect him to try to catch every pass thrown his way?

Steeldawg: No I dont

That is the most absurd line of thinking I have ever heard. Either you have no idea what football is about or you are trolling. How can it be anything else? A WR, regardless of the contract, is supposed to do everything he can do to catch every pass thrown his way.

Nadroj 20
06-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Yes, I would.

I simply cannot comprehend any competitive athlete giving less than 100%.

Great point. 100% agree.

- - - Updated - - -

When paying someone that kind of money effort and the ability to improve should be taken into consideration. Maybe they don't expect Wallace to out jump DBs but they surely expect him to try to. His feet had better not stay firmly on the ground he had better at least jump up and tip the ball away from the defender if he doesn't think he can come down with it.

Also that player I just paid huge money for better show improvement in his weak areas. Why is that unreasonable? Every athlete can improve throughout the year and really should throughout the off season.