PDA

View Full Version : Miller believes tight end position in good hands

stillers4me
06-15-2013, 07:51 AM
For years, it was the one guarantee of every Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) season: They would talk about throwing to the tight end but wouldn't do it.

They finally did so under offensive coordinator Todd Haley a year ago, when Heath Miller caught a team-high 71 passes — only the second time since 1966 a tight end topped the Steelers in receptions.

But with Miller out indefinitely following knee surgery — he was injured in December — the Steelers might go into the season without not only their top downfield threat from a season ago in Mike Wallace but also their most reliable receiver in Miller.

Surprisingly, Miller doesn't think there will be a drop-off with what he believes might be the Steelers' best group of tight ends since he was a first-round pick out of Virginia in 2005.............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4192142-74/miller-tight-season#ixzz2WHxzvCXd

Seven
06-18-2013, 01:21 AM
I think the position will be alright. There are worse options in the league than Spaeth despite the hate for him around here and I'm excited to see Paulson progress.

Moose
06-18-2013, 05:54 AM
Uh, yea, like what else would he say about the position ? Let's just hope he's right though until he gets healthy and able to return to form.

HollywoodSteel
06-18-2013, 10:13 AM
The article talks about Spaeth as more of a blocking tight end than a pass catcher, but I kind of remember the opposite. Spaeth always seemed to have good hands but was nowhere near the blocker that Heath was. Obviously, he was nowhere near the receiver Heath was either, but am I wrong about what his better skill is?

steelreserve
06-18-2013, 10:19 AM
I remember Spaeth's blocking skills as sub-par, and his receiving skills as catching short passes over the middle with his back to the opponents' goal line, then instead of turning and running, crouching and awkwardly running backwards until he got creamed. Let's hope he's improved both.

Dwinsgames
06-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Miller providing humble lip service , nothing more .... nothing less ......

Psycho Ward 86
06-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Spaeth was a decent blocker his final season here

steelerdude15
06-18-2013, 11:09 AM
I think the main reason why Spaeth was brought back was because he could block. He isn't Heath Miller nor are Spaeth's skills nearly up to par with Heath's, but I think he'll get the job done until Heath can come back.