PDA

View Full Version : RB Order....

Shoes
06-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Okay folks it's early, but how do you see the RB's lining up for game one? Bouchette had Bell #1, Red#2, then Stephens-Howling. He had Batch & Dwyer in a battle for the last spot (One of the few times I agree with Ed). I can see Batch overtaking Dwyer. Dwyer was in shape last year and he still missed plays because he was on the sideline catching his breath.

Seven
06-12-2013, 09:35 PM
That's really tough. If I had to guess the opening day lineup I'd probably say 1 - Redman 2 - Bell 3 - Dwyer 3rd down - Stephens-Howling cut - Batch.

Chidi29
06-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Pretty much in agreement with Bouchette even if I'm not a big Bell fan. Think Batch gets the nod over Dwyer because of Batch's ST value.

steelerdude15
06-12-2013, 10:16 PM
My prediction for the beginning of the season is:

1)Issac
2)Bell
3)Johnny

Dwinsgames
06-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Bell ....

Bell.....

and some more Bell .......

lets face it are rushing attack was pathetic last season , they spent a 2nd round pick on Bell for a reason and it was not to back up what we already had

Ed got this one right , perhaps he was sober when he wrote the article ?

GBMelBlount
06-12-2013, 10:38 PM
The X factor is Bell.

I would love to see him come in and dominate behind a great line but for now I will go with Redman.

steelersfanman92
06-13-2013, 12:23 PM
I see Redman as the number 1 at the start of the season and Bell picking up more carries as the season progresses and depending on how he develops possibly taking the number 1 spot. I expect the 3 to be Stephens-Howlings and the 4 to be Dwyer due to his experience and the fact that he showed flashes that he can be a contributor.

NJarhead
06-13-2013, 12:46 PM
1- Bell, 2 - Redman, 3, Batch, 4 - Stephens-Howling.

Craic
06-13-2013, 03:34 PM
1. open
2. open
3. open
4. open.

Anything other than that, is foolish at this stage in the game.

tube517
06-13-2013, 04:35 PM
1. Harris
2. Bettis
3. Foster
4. Bleier
5. Abercrombie and Fitch

Dwinsgames
06-13-2013, 05:05 PM
1. Harris
2. Bettis
3. Foster
4. Bleier
5. Abercrombie and Fitch

but but but .......what about Worley

polamalubeast
06-13-2013, 05:08 PM
but but but .......what about Worley

and Fast Willie Parker?!

Psycho Ward 86
06-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Bell, Redman, Dwyer, Stephens-Howling for me.

zulater
06-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Bouchette had Bell #1, Red#2, then Stephens-Howling. He had Batch & Dwyer in a battle for the last spot

Bouchette's a parrott. Not that this isn't easily predictable but you can bet that Bouchette was spoon fed this from someone inside the organization that this is the way the Steelers want things to shake out at the end of camp. And I think barring injury it probably will.

KeiselPower99
06-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Redman
Bell
Batch
Howlings

Dwyer showed up big for mini camp and dont forget we did try to trade him during the draft.

Count Steeler
06-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Pizza and wings?

Texasteel
06-18-2013, 07:02 PM
I have been saying for a while now, since Mendy became part time that we did not have starting RB on the team. If Bell picks up the offense as well as it sound he is starting to, he should start.

Spike
06-18-2013, 07:13 PM
starter - Bell

3rd down back - Stephens-Howling + KR and PR

stiff

stiff

Carolina Steelers
06-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Bell
Reman
Stephans-howling
Batch (also plays ST)

Dwyer (cut)

Galax Steeler
06-19-2013, 05:08 AM
Pretty much in agreement with Bouchette even if I'm not a big Bell fan. Think Batch gets the nod over Dwyer because of Batch's ST value.

Chidi, I am just curious what is it you don't like about Bell not trying to start a debate but just wondering?

cold-hard-steel
06-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Chidi, I am just curious what is it you don't like about Bell not trying to start a debate but just wondering?

Maybe the consensis is that he never played a game in the NFL yet . No draftee coming out of college never did either . Even our beloved Jerome had to make a name for himself . I might say he did a fine job , and maybe that was the reason ST. Louis went down hill after they left their running game run to Pittsburgh . I hope that Leveon gets a big attitude and breaks the 4.4 average . Lets face it , 3rd and two is hard to get in this league , but Jerome did it consistantly . Maybe he wants to be the next Jerome . Me for one hopes so .

Psycho Ward 86
06-19-2013, 11:15 AM

i know you didnt ask me but theres a shit ton of stuff not to like. For such a big back he doesn't take any advantage of his size at all. He said in interviews that he played north of 240lb. his final season at Michigan (which makes sense because Michigan had him listed at 244lb.), but at the combine he weighed in at 230lb. and still only ran a 4.56. So how much slower do you think he is when he plays at his normal 244lb? He is also a very tall runningback at 6'2'', and he runs even taller with really poor pad level. The only reason he doesnt suck with that kind of pad level is because he weighs 244 freakin pounds. Even when he does lower that shoulder, he's not much of a hammer. At 230lb. i would expect him to play even softer. He's quick for a huge back, but not quick enough to elicit respect from defenders. Trying to be a fat scatback that runs like an ostrich isnt going to work on the next level. Then there is the minor concern that he only had 1 full year of starting and so could be a one hit wonder (That was one of the biggest knocks on Rashard Mendenhall when he was drafted as well).

HollywoodSteel
06-19-2013, 11:50 AM
i know you didnt ask me but theres a shit ton of stuff not to like. For such a big back he doesn't take any advantage of his size at all. He said in interviews that he played north of 240lb. his final season at Michigan (which makes sense because Michigan had him listed at 244lb.), but at the combine he weighed in at 230lb. and still only ran a 4.56. So how much slower do you think he is when he plays at his normal 244lb? He is also a very tall runningback at 6'2'', and he runs even taller with really poor pad level. The only reason he doesnt suck with that kind of pad level is because he weighs 244 freakin pounds. Even when he does lower that shoulder, he's not much of a hammer. At 230lb. i would expect him to play even softer. He's quick for a huge back, but not quick enough to elicit respect from defenders. Trying to be a fat scatback that runs like an ostrich isnt going to work on the next level. Then there is the minor concern that he only had 1 full year of starting and so could be a one hit wonder (That was one of the biggest knocks on Rashard Mendenhall when he was drafted as well).

The upside to him not having that many carries is he lacks the wear and tear that most RBs already have coming into the league. Just trying to find that silver lining for you. :)

I don't follow College Football much, so I'll defer to everyone else's judgment, but my question is: how good is he at blocking? If he's good at it and can pick up all the protections in training camp I'd say he has a leg up on the competition. But we'll see how he does in preseason games. Tomlin doesn't anoint anyone based on their draft number, so he's going to have to show some attitude. One thing we do know about Redman, he puts his will into getting that extra yard.

Psycho Ward 86
06-19-2013, 12:17 PM
The upside to him not having that many carries is he lacks the wear and tear that most RBs already have coming into the league. Just trying to find that silver lining for you. :)

I don't follow College Football much, so I'll defer to everyone else's judgment, but my question is: how good is he at blocking? If he's good at it and can pick up all the protections in training camp I'd say he has a leg up on the competition. But we'll see how he does in preseason games. Tomlin doesn't anoint anyone based on their draft number, so he's going to have to show some attitude. One thing we do know about Redman, he puts his will into getting that extra yard.

yeah thats true. he was asking for the negatives about bell though so i was just throwing those out there. Kaboly is no slouch and he says he was a great blocker in college so thats always a plus. It doesnt seem like that will give him a leg up on Dwyer or Redman though since they according to pro football focus they were the top 2 backs in the league at pass blocking:

The top running backs last year in pass blocking efficiency, a rating that measures pressures allowed on a per-snap basis:
Player PBE
1. Jonathan Dwyer, Steelers 98.8
2. Isaac Redman, Steelers 98.7

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2WbcJY8LT

I personally still think Leveon Bell has the biggest boom or bust potential of all the draft picks

Chidi29
06-19-2013, 12:44 PM

He dances too much in the hole, way too East/West. Doesn't have a second gear and really didn't see an elite quality with him.

I do think running a lot of outside zone though does play to his strengths and what he likes to do so there's one positive.

HollywoodSteel
06-19-2013, 12:47 PM
yeah thats true. he was asking for the negatives about bell though so i was just throwing those out there. Kaboly is no slouch and he says he was a great blocker in college so thats always a plus. It doesnt seem like that will give him a leg up on Dwyer or Redman though since they according to pro football focus they were the top 2 backs in the league at pass blocking:

The top running backs last year in pass blocking efficiency, a rating that measures pressures allowed on a per-snap basis:
Player PBE
1. Jonathan Dwyer, Steelers 98.8
2. Isaac Redman, Steelers 98.7

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2WbcJY8LT

I personally still think Leveon Bell has the biggest boom or bust potential of all the draft picks

Yeah, Redman and Dwyer are pretty good blockers. I didn't mean that this was their weak spot. I was just wondering if it might be a weak spot for Bell. I know that some talented RBs coming out of college struggle with protections right out of the gate. But if he handles that duty well, he seems like the kind of guy they'd like to see as an every down back, especially since I understand he can catch to. I wouldn't mind seeing a fresh-legged Redman come in for some short yardage situations. He tends to do pretty well coming off the bench. Since Batch does have talent for special teams, Dwyer might be the odd man out. I know that Batch has been a piss pour RB since coming off the injury, but it usually takes a guy a while to get back to form after an injury like that. Obviously, everything can change with performances in pre-season games, but it'll be fun to watch it play out. I really hope Dwyer breaks off some impressive runs so that he can possibly generate some trade interest if another team has an injury at that position. I think Stephens-Howling makes the team as well due to his versatility, especially in the return game.

Is it possible they only carry three RBs going into the season? If that really fast kid, Dunn, impresses enough to make the team we might see Batch go as well. Is Batch still PS eligible? If so, that might be a good place to put him. I don't see any team clamoring to snatch him up.

steeldevil
06-19-2013, 12:51 PM
I was under the impression bell was a workhorse for msu his entire career and especially this last year??? Why are you guys talking about him having not as many carries/hits? I'm pretty sure he led the nation in carries last year.

HollywoodSteel
06-19-2013, 01:10 PM
I was under the impression bell was a workhorse for msu his entire career and especially this last year??? Why are you guys talking about him having not as many carries/hits? I'm pretty sure he led the nation in carries last year.

Yeah, I just looked up his scouting profile and it seems you're right. I was just going off of what Psycho said. He got 605 rushing yards as a true Freshman, mostly in the beginning of the season, and then got most of the carries in the second half of his sophomore season. He was the lone starter in his Junior year. But because he only played three years, you still can't say he has a ton of wear and tear.

- - - Updated - - -

671 carries and 78 receptions over his College career. Not sure how that stacks up against most.

- - - Updated - - -

Also 1 for 1 as a passer, so there's that to add to his resume. :)

Psycho Ward 86
06-19-2013, 03:37 PM
i will never for the life of me understand the fascination with Baron Batch. I dont care if he seems like a good kid, he sucks at football. The last time he did anything good relating to football was in college, which was 3 years ago by the way. He has proven injury prone: a season ending Achilles injury his 1st season in college, followed by a redshirt year due to STILL rehabbing that achilles injury, then affected with what i recall as a career threatening foot injury in college. And after being drafted: a torn ACL, broken arm, another foot injury, etc. Hasnt shown that he can rush for shit. Our running game as a whole sucked last season, but Mendenhall, Dwyer, and Redman all still managed to have a couple good individual efforts behind the same shitty o-line. Someone used to bring up all the time that he was soooo good at blocking but turns out we have 2 of the best blocking backs in the league, plus a young body who was a good blocker in college. And now we have The Hyphen coming in who has actual experience and proven production as a 3rd down back and return man. Batch presents no respectable production on special teams. He's not a return man. He has 4 tackles in the NFL. I dont care about his 4 wimpy tackles.

He can't run. We don't need him to catch (Bell, Redman, Howling). We don't need a blocker (Dwyer, Redman, Bell, Howling). He has done little to nothing on special teams. He is injury prone and unproductive.

So were counting on him to deliver on what he did 3 years ago at texas tech as a 3rd down back. A 3rd down back we arent even close to needing.

How did he even make the 80 man roster?

Dwinsgames
06-19-2013, 04:15 PM
I was under the impression bell was a workhorse for msu

he was for two seasons

Seven
06-19-2013, 10:21 PM
i will never for the life of me understand the fascination with Baron Batch. Someone used to bring up all the time that he was soooo good at blocking

So were counting on him to deliver on what he did 3 years ago at texas tech as a 3rd down back. A 3rd down back we arent even close to needing.

I think Stephens-Howling spells the end for him.

Chidi29
06-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Curtis McNeal is also on the roster. Don't know much outside his bio but worth pointing out.

Psycho Ward 86
06-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Curtis McNeal is also on the roster. Don't know much outside his bio but worth pointing out.

im already skeptical because he's from USC :chuckle:. Smaller back with almost no receptions, i wonder why

Seven
06-19-2013, 11:24 PM
McNeal can play. I just don't know if he'll have a fair shot to make the roster or not.

Chidi29
06-19-2013, 11:33 PM
McNeal can play. I just don't know if he'll have a fair shot to make the roster or not.

Unlikely but who knows, If Dwyer shows up heavy and, knock on wood, someone gets hurt, there's always a chance for an opening. McNeal is a longshot but there aren't any "locks" on this roster outside of Bell. Redman is close but would not call it 100%.

Seven
06-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Unlikely but who knows, If Dwyer shows up heavy and, knock on wood, someone gets hurt, there's always a chance for an opening. McNeal is a longshot but there aren't any "locks" on this roster outside of Bell. Redman is close but would not call it 100%.

I sort of agree. I do think Redman is just about 100% to make the roster. But, in my opinion, even if Bell and Redman got hurt I feel like the coaching staff would keep Dwyer, Batch and Stephens-Howling. I really thought DuJuan Harris should have made the team last year but it never seemed like he got a real shot. I guess that might be my one gripe with this staff. I feel like they're reluctant to take personnel risks sometimes. If McNeal really shows up in August I would love to see him get a shot at the regular season over a guy like Redman, Dwyer or Batch. I just don't see it happening.

Chidi29
06-19-2013, 11:50 PM
I sort of agree. I do think Redman is just about 100% to make the roster. But, in my opinion, even if Bell and Redman got hurt I feel like the coaching staff would keep Dwyer, Batch and Stephens-Howling. I really thought DuJuan Harris should have made the team last year but it never seemed like he got a real shot. I guess that might be my one gripe with this staff. I feel like they're reluctant to take personnel risks sometimes. If McNeal really shows up in August I would love to see him get a shot at the regular season over a guy like Redman, Dwyer or Batch. I just don't see it happening.

It's just a numbers' crunch. Not enough carries to go around.

Obviously, even McNeal making the PS is up in the air, let alone a roster spot. But it's worth putting his name in the conversation because he is on the roster and we'll see him in the preseason. Don't want to go into TC not knowing who some of these guys are.

- - - Updated - - -

And Psycho makes excellent points about Batch as well. Has done very little and can't stay healthy. I had him on my list because he does offer some ST value running down kicks/punts which is important for back-end guys. Plus, I don't like Dwyer. But Batch is more of a feel-good story. More bark than bite, for sure.

LLT
06-20-2013, 03:36 AM

I dont know If I would call Bell a "one hit wonder" Yes, he had 382 in 2012 comparded to 182 in 2011...but 182 carries is a good amount. In comparison, the first running back drafted this year (Giovani Bernard) had 184 carries in 2012.

LLT
06-20-2013, 03:59 AM
i will never for the life of me understand the fascination with Baron Batch. I dont care if he seems like a good kid, he sucks at football. The last time he did anything good relating to football was in college, which was 3 years ago by the way. He has proven injury prone: a season ending Achilles injury his 1st season in college, followed by a redshirt year due to STILL rehabbing that achilles injury, then affected with what i recall as a career threatening foot injury in college. And after being drafted: a torn ACL, broken arm, another foot injury, etc. Hasnt shown that he can rush for shit. Our running game as a whole sucked last season, but Mendenhall, Dwyer, and Redman all still managed to have a couple good individual efforts behind the same shitty o-line. Someone used to bring up all the time that he was soooo good at blocking but turns out we have 2 of the best blocking backs in the league, plus a young body who was a good blocker in college. And now we have The Hyphen coming in who has actual experience and proven production as a 3rd down back and return man. Batch presents no respectable production on special teams. He's not a return man. He has 4 tackles in the NFL. I dont care about his 4 wimpy tackles.

He can't run. We don't need him to catch (Bell, Redman, Howling). We don't need a blocker (Dwyer, Redman, Bell, Howling). He has done little to nothing on special teams. He is injury prone and unproductive.

Very good example of you blowing something out of proportion.

I was asked BY A TROLL (who is no longer on this board) why Batch was on the team and I provided link after link of the coaching staff commenting on Batch's blocking ability and the need for such on third downs.

No one ever said that he wasnt injury prone....no one ever said he was a lock to make the team this year....no one ever said he was anything more than what he is....a good kid who tries hard and excelled at blocking. If you think I said anything more that...then its is a figment of YOUR imagination.

And no...Dwyer and Redman were not good blockers at the beginning of last season. They were both much better by the end of the season with Redman being a little more accomplished than Dwyer at pass protection/blitz pickup. The fact that they have become very good blockers does, in fact, make Batch expendable.

Seven
06-20-2013, 04:21 AM
I dont know If I would call Bell a "one hit wonder" Yes, he had 382 in 2012 comparded to 182 in 2011...but 182 carries is a good amount. In comparison, the first running back drafted this year (Giovani Bernard) had 184 carries in 2012.

Yeah, those numbers really don't concern me. In fact, I don't have many outright concerns about Bell. I think he'll be fine. I just hope he offers a little more explosiveness than Redman or Dwyer. Actually, if he played like Dwyer with more stamina, I'd be pretty satisfied.

LLT
06-20-2013, 04:53 AM
Yeah, those numbers really don't concern me. In fact, I don't have many outright concerns about Bell.

You are in good company

"He had 1,700 yards last year and close to 900 of those yards were yards after contact," Colbert said, adding that it "indicates the ability to make NFL-type runs because the holes in the NFL aren't going to be the same as they are in college. "So you saw him make a lot of what we thought were NFL-type runs."

Bell played at 244 pounds but he weighed 230 when the Steelers drafted him. He can run inside and out, catch the ball and he seems to be a perfect fit for what the Steelers want to do and what offensive coordinator Todd Haley plans to do.

"I think it puts us back in a place where we can have a chance to run the ball and throw the ball out of the backfield successfully," Haley said.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=105251&draftyear=2013&genpos=RB

Psycho Ward 86
06-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Very good example of you blowing something out of proportion.

I was asked BY A TROLL (who is no longer on this board) why Batch was on the team and I provided link after link of the coaching staff commenting on Batch's blocking ability and the need for such on third downs.

No one ever said that he wasnt injury prone....no one ever said he was a lock to make the team this year....no one ever said he was anything more than what he is....a good kid who tries hard and excelled at blocking. If you think I said anything more that...then its is a figment of YOUR imagination.

And no...Dwyer and Redman were not good blockers at the beginning of last season. They were both much better by the end of the season with Redman being a little more accomplished than Dwyer at pass protection/blitz pickup. The fact that they have become very good blockers does, in fact, make Batch expendable.

i never thought you said anything more than that. i just pointed out someone always talked about how much value he brings to the team because he can block (im guessing that was you). the rest of the points were just individual thoughts.

That YAC statistic certainly eases my concerns quite a bit.

zulater
06-20-2013, 11:05 AM
He dances too much in the hole, way too East/West. Doesn't have a second gear and really didn't see an elite quality with him.

I do think running a lot of outside zone though does play to his strengths and what he likes to do so there's one positive.

If that was his only positive I doubt the Steelers would have valued him so much as they clearly did.

Chidi29
06-20-2013, 11:21 AM
If that was his only positive I doubt the Steelers would have valued him so much as they clearly did.

Obviously, they like Bell a lot. Much more than I do. And they're the experts, not me.

But like everything else on this forum, just my two cents.

HollywoodSteel
06-20-2013, 11:45 AM

You're probably right. It doesn't look to me like Batch is PS eligible, so unless we get a decent trade offer for Redman or Dwyer he's probably the first to go (barring an injury to someone). But if Bell shows something in the preseason it's hard to see Dwyer getting a hat on Sundays unless there is an injury or he wows so much in preseason games that he can't be ignored. Hyphen will get a hat because we might need him as a kick returner and then we'd probably also use him in some situations as a RB.

I think all of these guys will be kept as long as possible in the preseason to see if anyone wants one in a trade. It would be foolish to straight up cut Dwyer before cutting Batch because he is much better trade bait (in addition to all the points you made). Batch will most likely still be on the couch waiting for the call if we get hit with the injury bug at that position.

Chidi29
06-20-2013, 11:48 AM
We're not dealing any of our backs. Would imagine the market very limited to begin with. And if you're shopping a guy in camp, that just tells teams he's on the bubble and it destroys your leverage because teams will just wait for you to cut him.

Dwinsgames
06-20-2013, 11:51 AM
We're not dealing any of our backs. Would imagine the market very limited to begin with. And if you're shopping a guy in camp, that just tells teams he's on the bubble and it destroys your leverage because teams will just wait for you to cut him.

pretty much , unless it is someone somebody else really covets and does not want to risk someone else having deeper pockets for them then you may toss a late round flyer selection at the team hoping they will take the bait .. more often then not ( unless it is a proven back and you now have a bounty of them you end up just releasing them )

The Bills could trade a RB considering they have 2 proven guys us .... not so much IMO

Shoes
08-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Anyone change their mind? I'll stick with my picks and hopefully we can trade Batch and Dwyer......two for one. :chuckle:

Seven
08-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Anyone change their mind? I'll stick with my picks and hopefully we can trade Batch and Dwyer......two for one. :chuckle:

I think we could still ship Batch somewhere. There are teams who were interested in him as recently as last season. Dwyer I'm not so sure about. I commend him for trying to get in shape, Redman, too - but sometimes losing weight and becoming more fit backfires on tailbacks. I think Dwyer and Redman are what they are and the extra weight helps them more than they/we realize. I'd say Bell and Stephens-Howling are almost locks at this point (yes, already) and the other three are going to have to fight it out tooth & nail. I still think Dwyer is the most talented of the three but if he looks as lost as he did in the first preseason game he's not going to be around past the first couple waves of cuts. Bell, Redman, Stephens-Howling is fine with me. Hell, Bell, (insert name here), Stephens-Howling is fine with me, honestly. I can see arguments for keeping Redman, Batch and Dwyer it just depends on what the team wants in that spot. For my money it's going to be Redman simply based on reliability which is theoretically what you want out of any backup.

GoSlash27
08-13-2013, 10:27 PM
1) Suddenness
2) Glide
/yeah, I went there.

Chidi29
08-13-2013, 10:29 PM
1) Suddenness
2) Glide
/yeah, I went there.

Wouldn't expect anything else.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/2407-Suddenness-and-glide-)

steelreserve
08-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Not having seen Bell, it's hard to say. But if he comes in and does even pretty good, my guess is:

1. Bell
2. Howling
3. Redman
4. Batch
out - Dwyer

I say Redman as #3 only because as things currently stand, it looks like Stephens-Howling would be the "every-down" back if Bell got hurt, and Redman would be more of the main situational back if either of those guys was starting. Now if Bell is in the lineup, I wouldn't expect Stephens-Howling to play much at all, and Redman would probably get more playing time in fact. But I think we've seen what Redman can do as a starter, and that's not what we want.

As for Dwyer vs. Batch for the last spot ... Dwyer is obviously the better of the two carrying the ball, but since his main value was just as an OK every-down back, and Stephens-Howling showed he can do that job, Dwyer is in a tough spot. It also doesn't help him that Redman can also do about the same at that job, or that I just don't think the coach likes him. I wouldn't want Batch as the main RB, but I don't think it'd ever get to that point; we'd sign someone else before the next game. In the meantime, Batch can do other things of value, and in any case I think he could be a good role player for a few years, whereas Dwyer looks to me like whether he has a good season or a bad one, he'll probably leave next year and sign with Buffalo or someone to get a chance for more playing time.

Seven
08-14-2013, 12:45 AM
I say Redman as #3 only because as things currently stand, it looks like Stephens-Howling would be the "every-down" back if Bell got hurt, and Redman would be more of the main situational back if either of those guys was starting.

I have always loved Stephens-Howling as a player and am ecstatic he's on the team but even I don't know if he is an every down back - even in a backup scenario. The dude MIGHT be 5'6 180. Not saying he absolutely couldn't do it, but I do think he can do everything Batch does. So I'd rather keep two runners like Dwyer and Redman if we're keeping four guys.

steelreserve
08-14-2013, 03:29 AM
Well, as far as I know, Dwyer and Redman aren't very good at filling in as an "every down" back for more than occasional spot duty, as in, maybe half of one game before they get shut down, so we don't want that. I'm willing to give the guy a shot until he proves he's no better than the rest (which he may well do in the next 3 preseason games).

As for the size, hell, Willie Parker was a little bitch too, but he made a great backup. Terrible starter, but when he was in the right role his first and last year here, it seemed to work out fine.

Yes, that IS the highest praise you'll ever hear me give that guy, btw.

edit: also, don't know if it was clear because I had to re-type it like 5 times and still was struggling ... I think Redman will basically be the #2 guy under normal circumstances in that Bell will see most of the snaps and Redman will get the rest. I just don't see us making Redman the starter if Bell is injured. Call it hunch or whatever, but I wonder.

Seven
08-14-2013, 03:57 AM
As for the size, hell, Willie Parker was a little bitch too, but he made a great backup. Terrible starter, but when he was in the right role his first and last year here, it seemed to work out fine.

Yes, that IS the highest praise you'll ever hear me give that guy, btw.

Parker was like 5'10 215, that's not a big back, but he was a hell of a lot bigger than Stephens-Howling.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to make a Willie Parker joke in response to your post, but you beat me to the punch. Just couldn't help bringing him up, could you? :chuckle:

Master Blaster
08-14-2013, 09:56 AM
According to Dale Lolley, http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Running back (5): Le'Veon Bell, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling and fullback Will Johnson are givens, so the final spot will come down to special teams. That gives Baron Batch the edge over Jonathan Dwyer at this point. Dwyer could change that stance, however. Stephens-Howling excelling in the opener as a ball carrier didn't help Dwyer's chances, though.

vader29
08-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Bell moves up the depth chart

Rookie running back Le’Veon Bell moved up the Steelers’ depth chart, without ever taking a snap in an NFL game.

Bell, who has been having a good camp, is now listed as a co-starter with Isaac Redman on the depth chart.

“I feel good about my work and I am going to just continue to work the best that I can, keep competing,” said Bell. “That is all I can say.

“It’s good motivation. I am going to keep striving to be the best I can be. I came here ready for competition and I am going to continue to compete and do the best I can.”

Bell, who missed the preseason opener against the Giants with a knee injury, said he isn’t certain what exactly caught the attention to warrant the move but knows he has to keep working hard.

“I am just trying to make plays, not make too many mistakes and do the right things,” said Bell. “As long as I continue to do that I will be fine.”

Read more: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Bell-moves-up-the-depth-chart/cbf8a814-702c-4d2c-bc7d-2079605c6cf2

steelreserve
08-14-2013, 04:17 PM
According to Dale Lolley, http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Running back (5): Le'Veon Bell, Isaac Redman, LaRod Stephens-Howling and fullback Will Johnson are givens, so the final spot will come down to special teams. That gives Baron Batch the edge over Jonathan Dwyer at this point. Dwyer could change that stance, however. Stephens-Howling excelling in the opener as a ball carrier didn't help Dwyer's chances, though.

Basically, here's what I see. If we have Howling and Redman as the #2 and #3 guys, we can attack you with a change of pace in two different ways. If we have Redman and Dwyer, we have two guys who do basically the same thing. That's why Dwyer is the odd man out. I'm sorry it took me belching out three jumbled posts to say that.

steeldawg
08-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Bell moves up the depth chart

Rookie running back Le’Veon Bell moved up the Steelers’ depth chart, without ever taking a snap in an NFL game.

Bell, who has been having a good camp, is now listed as a co-starter with Isaac Redman on the depth chart.

“I feel good about my work and I am going to just continue to work the best that I can, keep competing,” said Bell. “That is all I can say.

“It’s good motivation. I am going to keep striving to be the best I can be. I came here ready for competition and I am going to continue to compete and do the best I can.”

Bell, who missed the preseason opener against the Giants with a knee injury, said he isn’t certain what exactly caught the attention to warrant the move but knows he has to keep working hard.

“I am just trying to make plays, not make too many mistakes and do the right things,” said Bell. “As long as I continue to do that I will be fine.”

Read more: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Bell-moves-up-the-depth-chart/cbf8a814-702c-4d2c-bc7d-2079605c6cf2

Of course he did!

- - - Updated - - -

Bell ....

Bell.....

and some more Bell .......

lets face it are rushing attack was pathetic last season , they spent a 2nd round pick on Bell for a reason and it was not to back up what we already had

Ed got this one right , perhaps he was sober when he wrote the article ?

Oh really?

Dwinsgames
08-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Oh really?

yes provided he WINS the job on performance , not draft status ( and by the way that was posted before you ever climbed on the Bell bandwagon ) ..just sayin

I also posted this on another site back in June ( also before you got on the bandwagon ) ....

from where I sit it is his job to lose , they did not spend a second round pick on him to ride the pine when we had no real semblance of a rushing attack last year .....

question is will he learn the playbook and seize his opportunity ?

I think he does , but time will tell

good to see ya jump in Darth http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/drinks.gif ( note the bold that is called a qualifier meaning he will have to earn the job )

LLT
08-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Oh really?

Hmmmmm...how can someone who was already penciled in as the starter move up the depth chart? Interesting.

st33lersguy
08-14-2013, 08:41 PM
1. Bell
2. Stephen-Howling
3. Redman
4 Dwyer or Batch, whoever they pick will see very very little snaps

Seven
08-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Hmmmmm...how can someone who was already penciled in as the starter move up the depth chart? Interesting.

This thread is a barrel of laughs.

steeldawg
08-15-2013, 05:04 AM

Without taking an nfl snap and missing some practices and the first pre season game, probably because we drafted him to start. Starter from day 1 the only reason they don't come out and just say it is because they want strong competition for the backup role. There is also a thread before the draft where I ask Dwins if he thinks the steelers will draft a ready to start RB and he says yes ans proceeded to give me names of some guys we didn't draft.

Dwinsgames
08-15-2013, 09:14 AM
I can not for the life of me wrap my head around Steeldawg being so freaking dense ....

you always draft the guy you THINK is the best player on the board at the pos you are drafting , you always walk away feeling like you did a good job ( but hey that is before anyone takes a snap or even see's the playbook )

you believe the guys you picked are ready to help your team ( or you would not take them )

then comes OTAs and training camp .... that is the time the guys you picked have to PROVE they are who you thought they where ....

NOBODY is given starter status until they prove they are worthy of starter status ...

Proving they deserve to be the starter is winning the job anything less gets them a spot on the depth chart or pushing carts in walmarts parking lot ....

David DeCastro
G
Stanford

Mike Adams
T
Ohio State

Sean Spence
LB
Miami (FL)

Cameron Hayward
DE
Ohio State

Marcus Gilbert
T
Florida

Curtis Brown
DB
Texas

Maurkice Pouncey
C
Florida

Jason Worilds
LB
Virginia Tech

Emmanuel Sanders
WR
Southern Methodist

Ziggy Hood
DT
Missouri

Kraig Urbik
T
Wisconsin

Mike Wallace
WR
Mississippi

Rashard Mendenhall
RB
Illinois

Limas Sweed
WR
Texas

Bruce Davis
LB
UCLA

Lawrence Timmons
LB
Florida State

LaMarr Woodley
DE
Michigan

Matt Spaeth
TE
Minnesota

Santonio Holmes
WR
Ohio State

Anthony Smith
DB
Syracuse

Willie Reid
WR
Florida State

Heath Miller
TE
Virginia

Bryant McFadden
DB
Florida State

Trai Essex
T
Northwestern

Ben Roethlisberger
QB
Miami (OH)

Ricardo Colclough
DB
Tusculum

Max Starks
T
Florida

Troy Polamalu
DB
USC

Alonzo Jackson
DE
Florida State

Ivan Taylor
DB
Louisiana-Lafayette

Kendall Simmons
G
Auburn

Antwaan Randle El
WR
Indiana

Chris Hope
DB
Florida State

Casey Hampton
DT
Texas

Kendrell Bell
LB
Georgia

Mathias Nkwenti
T
Temple

Plaxico Burress
WR
Michigan State

Marvel Smith
T
Arizona State

Kendrick Clancy
DT
Mississippi

Troy Edwards
WR
Louisiana Tech

Scott Shields
DB
Weber State

Joey Porter
DE
Colorado State

Alan Faneca
G
Louisiana State

Jeremy Staat
DE
Arizona State

Chris Conrad
T
Fresno State

Chad Scott
DB
Maryland

Will Blackwell
WR
San Diego State

Paul Wiggins
T
Oregon

how many of these guys where week 1 starters ?

wanna go further back here's the link

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/steelers

not sayin Bell won't be the starter but he will not be handed the job without first earning the right

HollywoodSteel
08-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Totally off topic but... Urbik was a 2nd round pick? Why does this seem so weird to me? I could have sworn it was 3rd or 4th?

- - - Updated - - -

Or wait, maybe that 3 in the second column means he was a 3rd round pick. We must have had 2 3rd round picks. Sounds about right.

86WARD
08-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Batch is garbage. They could find a player of his "special teams talents" elsewhere. If they are going to keep four RBs, they should keep four RBs. Not 3 RBs and a "decent" special teams guy.

HollywoodSteel
08-20-2013, 12:59 PM
On the bright side, if Bell is lost due to injury then nobody on this thread has to be wrong!

:behindsofa:

SteelerFanInStl
08-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Batch is garbage. They could find a player of his "special teams talents" elsewhere. If they are going to keep four RBs, they should keep four RBs. Not 3 RBs and a "decent" special teams guy.

Agreed.

st33lersguy
08-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Bell's durability issues and the way he looked in limited action is very concerning. Bell is the only possible feature back and if he continues getting injured or doesn't perform well, the team may be looking at another year of RB by committee. Last year showed that Redman and Dwyer are nothing more than solid backups are not good feature backs, and Stephens-Howling has too small a frame to carry the load of a starting back. If Stephens-Howling gets that many carries, he's bound to get injured before season's end.

Texasteel
08-20-2013, 02:48 PM
What I saw of Bell in limited action was a RB running into a wall of red shirts at the line of scrimmage. I did notice that he seemed to always go forward instead of being knocked backwards. I do hope this is a minor set back, I think he could be a good RB for us. As far as if Bell isn't ready, I still see Dwyer as the closest thing we have right now as a starter,

Spike
08-20-2013, 02:51 PM
it doesn't matter

Haley's retarded "offense" will just chew up the next back too

single RB 8 yds deep in the backfield - run it up the gut

that's all he knows