PDA

View Full Version : Goodell says Roethlisberger doing more than asked

siss
08-04-2010, 11:57 AM
WESTMINSTER, Md. (AP) — NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is doing more than he was asked to do by the league when given a six-game suspension after being accused of sexual assault.
Goodell says he will meet with Roethlisberger before the regular season starts in September and determine whether to reduce the punishment to four games.
During a visit to the Baltimore Ravens training camp Wednesday, Goodell said: "He is doing what he's been asked to do — and frankly more."
Goodell added that Roethlisberger "understands the seriousness of this and the fact he has to change the way he's doing things. I'm encouraged by that."
Goodell is scheduled to visit Steelers camp Thursday and plans to meet with Roethlisberger.

vasteeler
08-04-2010, 12:12 PM
talk is cheap roggy, you should reduce it to 2 games

venom
08-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Warn and Admonish !!

Nadroj 20
08-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Good. Since he is doing more than asked you should reduce the suspension to a more realistic number like 2.

The Duke
08-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Then put it at 2 already!

and don't come near latrobe....

siss
08-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Remember this statement from April:
"The Commissioner's decision to suspend me speaks clearly that more is expected of me. I am accountable for the consequences of my actions. Though I have committed no crime, I regret that I have fallen short of the values instilled in me by my family. I will not appeal the suspension and will comply with what is asked of me - and more.

"Missing games will be devastating for me. I am sorry to let down my teammates and the entire Steelers fan base. I am disappointed that I have reached this point and will not put myself in this situation again.

"I appreciate the opportunities that I have been given in my life and will make the necessary improvements."

Ben kept his word and the commissioner noticed. I'm proud of the guy right now!

Killer
08-04-2010, 12:22 PM
If we keep saying it enough it might filter through the innernets

2 games!

Wallace108
08-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Knowing Goodell, since Ben is doing what he's supposed to and more, he'll probably TACK ON 2 more games. :thumbdown:

2 games, Roger!!!

BuddhaBus
08-04-2010, 12:49 PM
You'd think with the way Goodell made a double-standard laughingstock of himself by not punishing Vince Young, Michael Vick and Cedric Benson, he'd come to the realization that he should reduce it to 2 games to save a little face. Unfortunately, I don't think he has enough sense to do what's right here, but, maybe he's setting it up by saying that Ben has done more than asked. :noidea: Sigh... I guess I can dream though.

Mattsme
08-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Do the patriots* get an extra draft pick for this?

siss
08-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is hopeful that he is doing enough to get the conditional six-game suspension he received for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy reduced to four games.

Commissioner Roger Goodell is visiting Steelers' training camp Thursday, and he will likely meet with Roethlisberger.

"I feel like I've done everything asked and then some," Roethlisberger said today. "I want him to know — and I think he does know some of the things — I want him to know I have done everything he's asked and tried to go above and beyond."

Goodell suspended Roethlisberger, who was accused of sexual assault twice within a nine-month span, in April. He ordered Roethlisberger to undergo a comprehensive behavioral and told the two-time Super Bowl winner in a letter that he needed to turn his life around.

Goodell also said the suspension could reduced to four games for good behavior though he also left open the option of making it longer than six games.

Since then Roethlisberger has said that he has changed, and he vowed to make amends to the Steelers as well as fans he alienated with his boorish behavior.

He said today that nothing has been scheduled as far as talking with Goodell while the commissioner is visiting training camp.

"If he wants to speak to me, I'd love to talk to him," Roethlisberger said, "check in and see how everything's going."

Roethlisberger said he found out yesterday that he is not allowed to have contact with the coaches during his suspension, which starts after the Steelers' final preseason game.

He said he is in the process of putting together plans for what he will do to stay sharp as well as in shape during the suspension.

"I've got some ideas in store and we'll see what happens," Roethlisberger said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_693435.html

Craic
08-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Funny thing.

1. Guess this cuts across the myth that Gooddeal "has it in for the Steelers"

2. Seems like Gooddeals suspension has brought about the very changes that needed to happen to Roethlisberger.

Like it or not, it was exactly what was needed. Changing the deal to two games now, puts across the wrong message to Ben. A message that he can still get away with whatever he wants. It needs to stay 4-6 games. As I have said before, it will only be 4, and Gooddeal will announce it the monday after the fourth game. Maybe the previous week.

steelpride12
08-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Oh well talk means nothing so until he actually reduces the suspension to at LEAST 4 games then ill believe what this idiot has to say.

steeldevil
08-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Funny thing.

2. Seems like Gooddeals suspension has brought about the very changes that needed to happen to Roethlisberger.

Like it or not, it was exactly what was needed. Changing the deal to two games now, puts across the wrong message to Ben. A message that he can still get away with whatever he wants. It needs to stay 4-6 games. As I have said before, it will only be 4, and Gooddeal will announce it the monday after the fourth game. Maybe the previous week.

I agree with your assesment of the situation 100%. It needs to be reduced to 4 like Goodell said. Reducing it more sends a bad message and may wipe out any progress Ben has made.

NJarhead
08-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Good to hear.

Wallace108
08-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Funny thing.

I agree with your reasoning in theory, Preacher. But has the suspension changed him or is he just saying and doing the right things to get it reduced? Only time will tell. I'm not upset with the 4-6 game suspension ... I'm upset with the fact that other players have gotten off scott-free. Since Goodell hasn't suspended players who have been charged with crimes, it's only fair that he cut Ben (and dare I say us?) some slack.

BuddhaBus
08-04-2010, 03:23 PM
I agree with your reasoning in theory, Preacher. But has the suspension changed him or is he just saying and doing the right things to get it reduced? Only time will tell. I'm not upset with the 4-6 game suspension ... I'm upset with the fact that other players have gotten off scott-free. Since Goodell hasn't suspended players who have been charged with crimes, it's only fair that he cut Ben (and dare I say us?) some slack.

Agree 100%. What kind of message does it send to the league as a whole if others who have been charged with crimes or put themselves REPEATEDLY in bad situations are slapped on the wrist and told to play nice while a guy who was NEVER charged with anything has the hammer brought down on him? I DO hope that this has changed Ben for the better and so far so good. I'm glad some kind of discipline was handed down to Ben because he needed this wake up call, but I also believe, given the non-punishment of others, that what he got was a little heavy handed. I'd just like to see some consistency in Goodell's conduct/punishment policies. 2 games should suffice at this juncture. I feel that the threat of being let go from the Steelers and the potential difficulty in securing another large/long-term contract from a different team, who may not want to risk much on a QB with repeated off the field issues, will keep him in line more than any 4-6 game suspension currently would anyway.

Psycho Ward 86
08-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Cool beans, so i guess the punishment is only gonna be 5 3/4 games now :whoo::jerkit:

MULLDOG24
08-04-2010, 03:57 PM

Agree 100%!!!!

Kaeg
08-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Agree 100%. What kind of message does it send to the league as a whole if others who have been charged with crimes or put themselves REPEATEDLY in bad situations are slapped on the wrist and told to play nice while a guy who was NEVER charged with anything has the hammer brought down on him? I DO hope that this has changed Ben for the better and so far so good. I'm glad some kind of discipline was handed down to Ben because he needed this wake up call, but I also believe, given the non-punishment of others, that what he got was a little heavy handed. I'd just like to see some consistency in Goodell's conduct/punishment policies. 2 games should suffice at this juncture. I feel that the threat of being let go from the Steelers and the potential difficulty in securing another large/long-term contract from a different team, who may not want to risk much on a QB with repeated off the field issues, will keep him in line more than any 4-6 game suspension currently would anyway.
^^^
Absolutely perfectly put.

st33lersguy
08-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Here's an idea Roger you dick, how about getting rid of the suspension seeing as how you didn't suspend low-life loser thugs like Cedric Benson, Vince Young, Shawn Rogers, and Braylon Edwards when they got caught red-handed and how you let murderer Dante Stallworth and 11 time convict Pacman Jones back in the league. Roethlisberger deserves to play all 16 games, all the players mentioned should be either suspended half the year or kicked out of the league and Goodell deserves to be denied welfare

Killer
08-04-2010, 05:31 PM
I think we should sign Plex as soon as he gets out of jail.

He'll probably get less suspension time than Ben.

steelerdude15
08-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Reduce his suspension.

zulater
08-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Oh boy we should all thank the great Roger now for reducing a suspension that never should have been allowed to begin with!

I'll pass.

Rumor, innuendo, and heresay, have become the new standards for convinction in Roger's kangaroo court. Down with tyrants!

Psycho Ward 86
08-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Oh boy we should all thank the great Roger now for reducing a suspension that never should have been allowed to begin with!

Whoever said he was reducing the suspension?

Killer
08-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah - Ben is only one slap on the ass to a waitress away from a year suspension - let's not count our chickens yet.

fansince'76
08-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Yeah - Ben is only one unsubstantiated slap on the ass to a waitress away from a year suspension - let's not count our chickens yet.

Fixed.

tony hipchest
08-04-2010, 10:52 PM
im dying to know what "more than is being asked" is ben doing (other than not pissing at the links anymore). :noidea:

Mattsme
08-05-2010, 12:09 AM
im dying to know what "more than is being asked" is ben doing (other than not pissing at the links anymore). :noidea:

He's changed his pickup line to "all you ladies, please take my shots?"

Killer
08-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Rumor, innuendo, and heresay, have become the new standards for convinction in Roger's kangaroo court.

ain't that the truth

Legislating morality by scapegoating Ben for all that 'pissing on his shield' crap - while letting felons get off easy.

oh yeah -.- thank you Lord Goodell, may I have another

http://www.thejetsblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/animal_house_760.jpg

SirHulka
08-05-2010, 08:37 AM
There is actually a little more than rumor and innuendo involved.

Kittyfish
08-05-2010, 09:08 AM
That's as may be, but there is a little less than solid evidence involved, or Ben would have been charged. Much of this is media pile-on, IMO. Your mileage may vary, and evidently does.

memphissteelergirl
08-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Agree 100 percent! Good post!!

zulater
08-05-2010, 10:19 AM
There is actually a little more than rumor and innuendo involved.

Uh actually no there isn't. Real evidence is sworn testimony that subjects itself to cross examination. 'Heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, that heard it from another'..... is a good opening for a song but shouldn't get you suspended from your livelyhood.

vader29
08-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Posted on Facebook 20 minutes ago by The Pittsburgh Steelers:

During his media session at Steelers camp, Roger Goodell seemed to leave open the possibility Ben's suspension could be less than four games.

The Duke
08-05-2010, 10:44 AM
During his media session at Steelers camp, Roger Goodell seemed to leave open the possibility Ben's suspension could be less than four games.

I'll believe it when he says it

If he does though, my respect for Goodell would go from 1% to 4 %

fansince'76
08-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Funny thing.

He's still a lousy commissioner, and the league is worse off as a result of his stewardship.