PDA

View Full Version : Woodson gaining experience at minicamp

vader29
06-11-2013, 02:29 PM
When you are a Hall of Famer, you probably don’t need to gain much more experience in the football ranks. But former Steelers and Hall of Fame cornerback Rod Woodson is spending this week at the team’s minicamp doing just that as he is continuing to pursue his coaching career.

Woodson, the Steelers’ number one draft pick in 1987 who spent 17 seasons in the NFL, will also join the team in training camp in July working with the coaching staff to gain experience and share his knowledge of the game with players.

“It’s a privilege to come here and be around Mike Tomlin, a guy who in the near future is going to be one of the better coaches ever to coach in this league, Dick LeBeau, who everyone knows how knowledgeable he is, and Carnell Lake, who has done a tremendous job with these young guys his first few years. It’s great to be in this environment, a winning environment where I can learn a lot.”

Read more: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Woodson-gaining-experience-at-minicamp/4d7888e9-fbdd-4011-a403-b00de2b2d298

Great news! One of my all time favorite Steelers, can't wait to see him at training camp this year! :tt02:

cold-hard-steel
06-11-2013, 03:32 PM
How awesome can it get ? Once a " Steeler " always a Steeler .

Carolina Steelers
06-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Glad he's helping with the steelers, where he belongs not ravens and also not helping raiders coaching staff like in the past. Woodson was my 1st steelers jersey I got back in the 90's

HollywoodSteel
06-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Great news. Woodson always struck me as a guy who would make a great coach. Very smart, a great communicator, and a technical master at the CB position. There are so may little tricks and tips he can give the young guys. I heard an interview with him recently on the Sirius NFL network and listening to him talk about the technical aspects of corner was very interesting. One thing he talked about was learning to get better at using his peripheral vision to see the entire field. It never occurred to me before that this was something you could work at, but it makes total sense. He said it allowed him to rarely be taken completely out of plays (because he always knew where the ball was) and also he could see what the QB was doing without the QB knowing he could see him. He said he got many an interception with this technique.

Also it will be nice to see him teamed up with Lake again. :)

Spike
06-12-2013, 04:03 AM
why did the Raiders cut him as defensive backs coach?

NJarhead
06-12-2013, 06:25 AM
He was probably too smart for their players. lol Sorry, Silver & Black, I had too.

GBMelBlount
06-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Great news. Woodson always struck me as a guy who would make a great coach. Very smart, a great communicator, and a technical master at the CB position. There are so may little tricks and tips he can give the young guys. I heard an interview with him recently on the Sirius NFL network and listening to him talk about the technical aspects of corner was very interesting.

One thing he talked about was learning to get better at using his peripheral vision to see the entire field. It never occurred to me before that this was something you could work at, but it makes total sense.
He said it allowed him to rarely be taken completely out of plays (because he always knew where the ball was) and also

he could see what the QB was doing without the QB knowing he could see him. He said he got many an interception with this technique.

Also it will be nice to see him teamed up with Lake again. :)

That is really neat.

I love to see professional athletes who are committed.

For these athletes it's not just about the payday, it's true passion for the game and a desire to become great.

I respect that.

Bluecoat96
06-12-2013, 07:14 AM
He wasn't retained when they cleaned house after Hue Jackson was fired.