PDA

View Full Version : Who are your Steelers most Overrated, Underrated players?

Steeltreal
06-09-2013, 03:34 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22369476/overratedunderrated-broncos-nickel-db-harris-worth-every-penny

Overrated - Woodley is the easy pick, Ill go with Clark and Ike Taylor for their lack of ability to create turnovers still pretty solid but you have to pick somebody.

Underrated - Timmons is another easy pick so Ill say Pouncey cuz hes still young and damn that Ankle.

Dwinsgames
06-09-2013, 05:07 PM
over rated .... TIMMONS !! the man sits in a prime spot to log 130-150 tackles a year and he fails to make the " Patrick Willis " like plays that he is paid to make ( Woodley is just to obvious and has been nicked up for a couple years , Timmons lacks a valid excuse )

Under rated by most of the NFL is Ryan Clark , he may not be flashy but he makes this def work

zulater
06-09-2013, 05:48 PM
As much as I hate to say it for overrated I'll say Big Ben. He just hasn't gotten it done in crunch time the last few years. Instead of making the big play his "move" of late is to make the big mistake at the worst possible time. Look at last year's losses. See how he had the ball in his hands with the game on the line and what he did in our losses. More often than not he screwed the pooch.

Don't get me wrong. I still believe in him. But last year I think he was butthurt over his buddy Arians being sacked and he never fully immersed himself into the new offense. Plus the injury ( which his own deviation from Haley's offense caused) severly affected ghis late season play.

But as of now Ben has got to prove himself elite again in my opinion. Coming through when it matters

polamalubeast
06-09-2013, 05:55 PM
As much as I hate to say it for overrated I'll say Big Ben. He just hasn't gotten it done in crunch time the last few years. Instead of making the big play his "move" of late is to make the big mistake at the worst possible time. Look at last year's losses. See how he had the ball in his hands with the game on the line and what he did in our losses. More often than not he screwed the pooch.

Don't get me wrong. I still believe in him. But last year I think he was butthurt over his buddy Arians being sacked and he never fully immersed himself into the new offense. Plus the injury ( which his own deviation from Haley's offense caused) severly affected ghis late season play.

But as of now Ben has got to prove himself elite again in my opinion. Coming through when it matters

In 2012, it was the first year that Roethlisberger was not clutch

The mistakes in the game against the Cowboys and Bengals was a nightmare......I hope it was a fluke, since this is a terrible feeling when you make a mistake at the worst possible time as Tony Romo

Dwinsgames
06-09-2013, 06:14 PM

prior to injury was having arguably his best season to date ... post injury he sucked .....

I think it had more to do with playing hurt than being " over rated " of course I could be wrong

Chidi29
06-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Overrated is a tough choice for me. Inclined to say guys like Dwyer and Redman but at this point, I think the bandwagon has sped past them. I still like the guy but Brett Keisel needs to have a better year in 2013 than last.

I was going to go with Clark too, even by Steelers' fan standards. When we give all the praise to the Steelers' run defense of being one of the best and not giving up long runs, Clark deserves as much credit as the front seven. Ultra-reliable tackler who puts the health of his body aside to make the tackle. It's really fun to watch, something you don't say much about run defense and tackling in the high-flying NFL today.

But since he was mentioned, I'll throw William Gay out there too. I think people forget he's back on the team. Likely won't start but as the nickel, you're practically seeing starter's snaps. Going to be very valuable to have a guy with his experience over Brown/Victorian/Hawethorne

KeiselPower99
06-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Overrated on this team right now would be Pouncey. I just dont buy him as a All Pro center.

Underrated would be Heath Miller. We know how good he is the media dosent give him his just due.

zulater
06-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Underrated I'd go with Isaac Redman. As a situational player I'd say he's as good as you can get. He blocks well in the backfield, has good hands, get's yardage after the catch, and doesn't go down on first contact. In the last two seasons I think he's statistically the best back in the league on 3rd and under two yards. Can't link the site, because it's a paysite. But he's a proven commodity as a short yardage back.

Now I'm not proposing he's a feature back. He's not, though as a pinch hitter he'll come through if he's given a spot start. The point if he's used right he's a very good player. People mistake the fact that he's not feature back worthy as though he's not a very valuable roster commodity. He is. If Bell lives up to his hype then Redman will have a very good year in the role he's meant to play.

- - - Updated - - -

prior to injury was having arguably his best season to date ... post injury he sucked .....

I think it had more to do with playing hurt than being " over rated " of course I could be wrong

I understand what your'e saying, but at the same token the season opener was therer for the taking and Ben threw the pick six. Same thing with the titans game. And to a lesser extent the Raiders game. If Ben had come through as was his old norm then we win at least 2 out of the 3 there and don't miss the playoffs.

Steeltreal
06-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Overrated is a tough choice for me. Inclined to say guys like Dwyer and Redman but at this point, I think the bandwagon has sped past them. I still like the guy but Brett Keisel needs to have a better year in 2013 than last.

I was going to go with Clark too, even by Steelers' fan standards. When we give all the praise to the Steelers' run defense of being one of the best and not giving up long runs, Clark deserves as much credit as the front seven. Ultra-reliable tackler who puts the health of his body aside to make the tackle. It's really fun to watch, something you don't say much about run defense and tackling in the high-flying NFL today.

But since he was mentioned, I'll throw William Gay out there too. I think people forget he's back on the team. Likely won't start but as the nickel, you're practically seeing starter's snaps. Going to be very valuable to have a guy with his experience over Brown/Victorian/Hawethorne

I hope Gay brings what the Dbs were failing to do last year, was the blitzing and pressure off the edge to the QB.

Chidi29
06-09-2013, 07:07 PM
I hope Gay brings what the Dbs were failing to do last year, was the blitzing and pressure off the edge to the QB.

Something he is capable of doing. Really comes down to scheme and execution than his ability to blitz but hey, he was four career sacks.

Psycho Ward 86
06-09-2013, 10:37 PM
From my point of view as a steelers fan...

Overrated: Timmons. I actually agree with Dwinsgame on this one. I was starting to think i was the only one who thought this. I dont think he's all that overrated but i think as steeler fans we think he's a tad better than he really is.

Underrated: Woodley. Still meh in coverage. Seems to have done better at sealing the run in the past, and just not as consistent of a presence as Harrison, which he arguably should be considering his contract. And with the injuries im sure there are more people who are still confident that he's still "got it" even though that should be a point of skepticism imo.

From the POV of people who arent steeler fans:

Overrated: Big Ben. And i think its getting harder to argue actually for some of the reasons said above. I think Ben has been kind of underrated for the earlier years of his career, and overrated for the latter parts spanning the past 3 years. He hasnt pulling his own in the clutch like he used to and he's been a "meh" statistical anomaly aside from that. Not something you look for in someone who was practically unanimously considered a top 5 quarterback. And i dont think he gets a pass for being injured the last couple of games, because imo this goes farther back than just this season. I have a hard time arguing with my friends that say he isnt a top 5 quarterback

Underrated: Ike Taylor. Lets just keep him there for the remainder of his career. Seriously. At least some of our other underrated players like ryan clark and heath miller have gotten big time accolades like going to probowls and being team mvp. Ike has never gotten a damn thing for being a stalwart on some insane defenses. Yes, i know ive been a big supporter of "we should have cut ike so we could have cut keenan lewis," but thats just me looking at the long term. I like ike! Why dont people outside our fanbase like him??? (hypothetical)

This is just going off the current roster of course. (Otherwise wallace and mendenhall are definitely high up the list of overrated)

HollywoodSteel
06-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Underrated: I know he isn't on the team now (which is a damn shame) but since one of the reasons he isn't on the team anymore is because he is underrated, I'm going with Max Starks. Yeah, he's only been kind of average for most of his career, but last year he came in and absolutely saved our season (although others managed to blow it anyway) and quite possibly saved Ben's life. Now I'm not saying he was an all-pro or anything but he was paid vet min. and for what he gave in return I think that qualifies as underrated. Not signing him to a two year deal might prove to be a very costly mistake if it turns out that either one of our young tackles doesn't make a huge stride forward this year - and while I hope that happens I can't see how everyone can be so confident about it - or God forbid one of them gets injured, which given our history I'd put the odds at somewhere between 100% and 100%. And this is perhaps the most important thing with Max: for the past couple of years he has absolutely owned Suggs. For whatever reason he plays him better than any other tackle in the entire NFL.

Overrated: I was ready to go out on a limb and go with Pouncey but someone already beat me to it. I know he's good, but if he is truly an all-pro shouldn't we have way more gaping holes in the middle for our Rbs to run through... or even like one gaping hole, once... in one game. Also, if he's the one calling protections maybe... just maybe, he isn't the absolute best at it given the results we see, but that might be pure speculation on my part. So okay, how about Mike Tomlin? I know he's not a player, but whatever, I think he's a fine candidate for most overrated since every talking head I ever hear always talks about him like he's one of the best. Now I'm not saying he sucks, but whenever I ask what makes him a great coach, no one can ever give me any specifics. Is he a great strategist who will out coach and out game plan the guy on the opposite sideline? Is he a great in game adjuster to situations? We know he isn't great with clock management. Is he a great motivator who can get his team to unleash... well, I'm open to hearing all the specifics if someone can produce the examples.

Psycho Ward 86
06-09-2013, 11:45 PM
starks has shut down jared allen and DOOMervil in the past as well. good pick

fansince'76
06-10-2013, 01:14 AM
Overrated: I was ready to go out on a limb and go with Pouncey but someone already beat me to it. I know he's good, but if he is truly an all-pro shouldn't we have way more gaping holes in the middle for our Rbs to run through... or even like one gaping hole, once... in one game.

Not when our guards suck and he constantly has to help them with their assignments. Or even being forced play guard himself because of injury and the fact that Legursky absolutely sucked at guard but played well at center. Throw an extremely mediocre batch of running backs into the mix, and well, you get what we've seen the past couple of years. I shudder to think how much worse it might have been if Hartwig the human speed bump was still around.

It's one thing to get voted to 3 straight Pro Bowls (virtually meaningless, ESPECIALLY for O-linemen), but it's something else entirely to get voted All-Pro 3 straight years. Especially when lining up next to the likes of Kemoeatu and Foster.

LLT
06-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Overrated: The obvious is Woodley, though I think he has the skills to make a comeback. Going to break the rules and say that third round pick Markus Wheaton was an overrated draft choice. I think the front office made a "Raider-like" pick based on speed and his one year of solid production. For his first three years of college, Wheaton only had 5 combined receiving TD's...and furthermore, future stud WR Stedman Bailey was still available. In three years we are going to see what a mistake it was to pass on Bailey for Wheaton.

Underrated: Clark. Make no mistake about it, WR's FEAR him.

Psycho Ward 86
06-10-2013, 05:14 AM
Not when our guards suck and he constantly has to help them with their assignments. Or even being forced play guard himself because of injury and the fact that Legursky absolutely sucked at guard but played well at center. Throw an extremely mediocre batch of running backs into the mix, and well, you get what we've seen the past couple of years. I shudder to think how much worse it might have been if Hartwig the human speed bump was still around.

It's one thing to get voted to 3 straight Pro Bowls (virtually meaningless, ESPECIALLY for O-linemen), but it's something else entirely to get voted All-Pro 3 straight years. Especially when lining up next to the likes of Kemoeatu and Foster.

it couldve been so much worse. Sean Mahan lmao!

GBMelBlount
06-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Overrated: Woodley (Tomlin as a coach)

Underrated: Taylor

Steeltreal
06-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Underrated: Clark. Make no mistake about it, WR's FEAR him.

Sounds like somethin Tomlin would say

Moose
06-10-2013, 11:38 AM
My opinion, OVERRATED- any of the CB's, never make any turnovers, always give up the 3rd and longs and always seem to have a job. UNDERRATED- has to be HEATH MILLER, sure handed and always seems to be there for Ben when needed to make the yardage and plays. The 'go to guy' !

Dwinsgames
06-10-2013, 01:08 PM
My opinion, OVERRATED

:rofl2:

Moose
06-10-2013, 01:25 PM
:rofl2:

LOL.... you're right ! Kinda how the wife see's it too !

Steeldude
06-10-2013, 06:37 PM
IMO, Woodley is by far the most overrated. Tomlin in second place.

I will choose Gay or Foster as being the most underrated.