PDA

View Full Version : Burress: 'I Can Dominate in the Red Zone'

polamalubeast
06-09-2013, 10:28 AM
He said it once, twice, enough times that the phrase could be embroidered on his new clothing line of Plaxico's Sox:

"My job is to just go out and catch the football," Plaxico Burress said, explaining his role with the Steelers.

Really, what else would you want the 6-foot-5 receiver to do? Block? It's all Ben Roethlisberger wanted since Burress left the Steelers the first time after the quarterback's rookie season in 2004, a tall receiver. Now he has one, his first wide receiver of any note to stand taller than 6-1.

The problem as some see it is that Burress turns 36 in August, so the question seemingly even taller than he: Can he still do it, get open and catch the football?

The Steelers think he can. It is why they quickly re-signed him when he became a free agent this year.

"I'm blessed to be here," said Burress, who has not missed a practice this spring. "Kevin Colbert, Mike Tomlin and the Rooneys gave me an opportunity to still play football. They have the confidence in me that I can still go out there and play and make an impact. I think that's the most important thing, when the opportunity comes I go out and deliver."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-plaxico-burress-says-he-is-confident-he-can-resuscitate-career-690944/#ixzz2VjWQFODf

steeldawg
06-09-2013, 10:58 AM
I hope you do dominate the redzone plexi

Psycho Ward 86
06-09-2013, 11:10 AM
"My job is to just go out and catch the football"

Gee plax, you sure have a captivating way with words :lol:

tube517
06-09-2013, 11:42 AM
"My job is to just go out and catch the football"

Gee plax, you sure have a captivating way with words :lol:

"I don't know what my role is going to be,'' Burress said. "I don't count numbers. You don't know what will happen on the injury front.

Huh?

We should start a thread of Plaxiglassisms...:lol:

Moose
06-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Ya think ?

steeldawg
06-09-2013, 12:22 PM
"I don't know what my role is going to be,'' Burress said. "I don't count numbers. You don't know what will happen on the injury front.

Huh?

We should start a thread of Plaxiglassisms...:lol:

lol that is a great line "I don't count numbers"

zulater
06-09-2013, 12:26 PM
lol that is a great line "I don't count numbers"

The fool! http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060205225318/muppet/images/3/3c/CT-p0001-ST.jpg

Mojouw
06-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I highly doubt that Plax can dominate the redzone at 36. He didn't do it when he was 26; why would he start now? Despite his obvious size, he has never been a dominant jump-ball or fade route receiver. Or at least he has never done it outside of practice.

I would be ecstatic if he had a great season for the Steelers at the end of his career. At this point, I think it is more realistic to hope that Wheaton is some sort of rookie phenom.

Spike
06-09-2013, 01:42 PM
"Tell Mr Dink&Dunk Haley if we score bombs from 40yds out we don't need no stinking jump balls in the EZ" - - Ben

GBMelBlount
06-09-2013, 02:04 PM
I highly doubt that Plax can dominate the redzone at 36

8 touchdowns in 2011

polamalubeast
06-09-2013, 02:24 PM
8 touchdowns in 2011

with Mark Sanchez!

Psycho Ward 86
06-09-2013, 03:06 PM
"Tell Mr Dink&Dunk Haley if we score bombs from 40yds out we don't need no stinking jump balls in the EZ" - - Ben

no one on our team is good for jump balls anyways. especially not in the endzone when everyone knows its coming

Craic
06-09-2013, 03:29 PM
"I'm blessed to be here," said Burress, who has not missed a practice this spring. "Kevin Colbert, Mike Tomlin and the Rooneys gave me an opportunity to still play football. They have the confidence in me that I can still go out there and play and make an impact. I think that's the most important thing, when the opportunity comes I go out and deliver."

Gotta say, he really has grown up finally. I Like the fact that he's been to every practice. I don't hold out a lot of hope that he'll make that big of a difference game in and game out, but I do hope that he can come in and catch a couple TD passes late to help us win a couple games.

GBMelBlount
06-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Gotta say, he really has grown up finally. I Like the fact that he's been to every practice. I don't hold out a lot of hope that he'll make that big of a difference game in and game out, but I do hope that he can come in and catch a couple TD passes late to help us win a couple games.

I agree.

That is actually what I took away from this as well.

...and if he gets us a few key touchdowns he will have been a worthwhile investment.

It's not like we are paying him a lot.

Chidi29
06-09-2013, 06:07 PM

I don't care how stupid you are, if you're roster spot is in jeopardy, you're going to make sure you're at every practice and do everything you can to have the best chance to stick.*

*Titus Young is the exception

Chidi29
06-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Also, you figure Burress has workout bonuses in his contract. No one turns down cash.

GBMelBlount
06-09-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't care how stupid you are, if you're roster spot is in jeopardy, you're going to make sure you're at every practice

Chidi29

Also, you figure Burress has workout bonuses in his contract. No one turns down cash.

OK....so you give him no credit for going to practice.

We get it. :lol: