PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Believe In Free Agent QB Tim Tebow

86WARD
06-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Since his release by the New York Jets in late April, Tim Tebow has fielded offers from Ron Jaworski's Philadelphia Soul as well as the Omaha Beef, an indoor football team based in Nebraska.

Tebow hasn't drawn a whiff of interest from NFL teams, which has led to speculation that the media circus might be driving him out of the league, while unnamed scouts line up to point out his deficiencies as a passer, it has become increasingly rare to find anyone associated with the NFL willing to acknowledge that Tebow can succeed even as a backup quarterback.

A year and a half removed from their playoff exit at the hand of Tebow, the Pittsburgh Steelers still believe.

"Why not? Tebow, just from what I see, is an awesome guy and a talent," Steelers linebacker Larry Foote told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Joe Starkey. "He won some games, had some success. We know it first-hand. I think he should be somewhere at least competing for a job. I think he's earned that."

Defensive end Brett Keisel similarly believes Tebow will "get another shot." Backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski is a "little surprised" the polarizing quarterback can't find an NFL job with a resume that includes a winning record as an NFL starter.

Count Foote among those who believe Tebow already would have an NFL home if it wasn't for the surrounding media crush.

"You guys are the reason he's not in the league," an admonishing Foote told Starkey. "It's your fault."

Source: NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210311/article/tim-tebow-has-pittsburgh-steelers-who-believe-in-him)

Count Steeler
06-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Na Foote. He ain't got it. As a QB, even though he looked like the greatest QB ever against us, it was only 1 game.

polamalubeast
06-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Na Foote. He ain't got it. As a QB, even though he looked like the greatest QB ever against us, it was only 1 game.

In fact,the entire 2011 season of Tebow was lucky and a big fluke

Also,the steelers had a terrible gameplan vs Denver...

Godfather
06-08-2013, 02:41 PM
I still say a team with an established superstar QB should pick him up. If your starter is Ben/Peyton/Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Eli, you're not going to have too many people wanting Tebow to be the starter.

Then they can use him in wildcat formations, red zone situations, etc. and try to develop him as a long term prospect without the media circus.

polamalubeast
06-08-2013, 02:46 PM
I still say a team with an established superstar QB should pick him up. If your starter is Ben/Peyton/Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Eli, you're not going to have too many people wanting Tebow to be the starter.

Then they can use him in wildcat formations, red zone situations, etc. and try to develop him as a long term prospect without the media circus.

Impossible to have Tebow without a media circus

Mistah Q
06-08-2013, 03:02 PM
If he would be a TE/Slash I'd sign him in a heartbeat. I'm not worried about the media circus -- I'm worried that he's not a strong, accurate passer. I'm good with Ben, Bruce, and Landry in that department...

steeldawg
06-08-2013, 03:11 PM

You really cant because who wants to pull a tom brady or drew brees off the field in the redzone with a chance to score, those teams don't have to trick people to score their qbs are the best option in all situations.

Shoes
06-08-2013, 03:22 PM
If he would be a TE/Slash I'd sign him in a heartbeat. I'm not worried about the media circus -- I'm worried that he's not a strong, accurate passer. I'm good with Ben, Bruce, and Landry in that department...

+1 to this........I think the media nonsense would die off with him at this position.

Chidi29
06-08-2013, 03:41 PM
+1 to this........I think the media nonsense would die off with him at this position.

No way, ESPN and others are in too deep at this point.

From what I've heard, a huge factor in team's deciding not to sign Tebow is the media circus that would ensue. Not worth it for a player of his caliber.

So I agree with Foote in that sense. The media has destroyed his market. He's obviously not a starter but should be in a camp.

steeldawg
06-08-2013, 03:46 PM

From what I've heard, a huge factor in team's deciding not to sign Tebow is the media circus that would ensue. Not worth it for a player of his caliber.

So I agree with Foote in that sense. The media has destroyed his market. He's obviously not a starter but should be in a camp.

I don't get the idea of making him a TE I don't see any qualities that he has that would make him a good TE let alone a great one, and teams would only be willing to deal with the circus if he had the potential to be great.

Chidi29
06-08-2013, 03:57 PM
I don't get the idea of making him a TE I don't see any qualities that he has that would make him a good TE let alone a great one, and teams would only be willing to deal with the circus if he had the potential to be great.

I think he'd come in as a QB but a situational player like what was sort of attempted in New York. But he should be in a camp. There are a lot worse QBs with teams right now.

Craic
06-08-2013, 04:35 PM
I think he'd come in as a QB but a situational player like what was sort of attempted in New York. But he should be in a camp. There are a lot worse QBs with teams right now.

I agree. The other thing about him is that he proved he can win games. Doesn't matter how, when he has to, he can pull a game out of his rear-end and put the points on the board that are necessary to win. That has to be worth something in a backup QB.

Mojouw
06-08-2013, 05:01 PM
In a league that is desperate for QB talent -- whoever suspect it may be (Jamarcus Russell just got a tryout!) -- I have to agree that the three ring media circus that surrounds Tebow is the major reason he is looking at going to Canada or some other non-NFL destination to get a another shot.

That being said, Tebow is not doing himself any favors by refusing to even consider a position change.

Chidi29
06-08-2013, 05:09 PM
I agree. The other thing about him is that he proved he can win games. Doesn't matter how, when he has to, he can pull a game out of his rear-end and put the points on the board that are necessary to win. That has to be worth something in a backup QB.

With so many teams trying to add the pistol/veer to their offense, Tebow has value. But there is too much baggage that he's bringing with him (i.e. all of Bristol) that makes him worth it.

EDIT: If Pat White and Brady Quinn can get contracts, Tebow should too.

Shoes
06-08-2013, 05:48 PM

I disagree, if he came in as a TE/Slash he would not be the center of attention as a QB is. How can you have a media circus over a TE? I think its the only way he'll make it in the NFL as an every down player.

Chidi29
06-08-2013, 06:01 PM
I disagree, if he came in as a TE/Slash he would not be the center of attention as a QB is. How can you have a media circus over a TE? I think its the only way he'll make it in the NFL as an every down player.

It's not bringing in a tight end. It's not bringing in a player. It's bringing in Tim Tebow. ESPN basically shut down for his birthday. They staked out Jets' training camp. It doesn't matter what position he plays (Heck, a position change will probably drum up twice the stories. And we'll have to hear Herm Edwards yell about how he thinks he can pull the change off while Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless continue to lower the collective IQ of sports fans).

No matter what, Tebow is a story.

Shoes
06-08-2013, 06:07 PM
It's not bringing in a tight end. It's not bringing in a player. It's bringing in Tim Tebow. ESPN basically shut down for his birthday. They staked out Jets' training camp. It doesn't matter what position he plays (Heck, a position change will probably drum up twice the stories. And we'll have to hear Herm Edwards yell about how he thinks he can pull the change off while Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless continue to lower the collective IQ of sports fans).

I think Tomlin can handle the Disney channel. :chuckle:

Godfather
06-08-2013, 06:15 PM
You really cant because who wants to pull a tom brady or drew brees off the field in the redzone with a chance to score, those teams don't have to trick people to score their qbs are the best option in all situations.

A couple of those are bad examples. But if you have a team with an elite QB, but that team struggles in the red zone, that setup would make life a lot harder for opposing defenses.

steeldawg
06-08-2013, 06:48 PM

This is how I see it also the position change would cause more of a circus, espn would have multiple orgasms everytime he catches a 5yd hitch.

- - - Updated - - -

A couple of those are bad examples. But if you have a team with an elite QB, but that team struggles in the red zone, that setup would make life a lot harder for opposing defenses.

maybe but I thought the jets had the perfect situation for it but it didn't work for them.

steeldawg
06-08-2013, 07:10 PM
I thought what tebow did in Denver was total fluke and he was given a lot of credit for winning those games that he didn't deserve. I mean look at the guys stats that season he completed only 46% of his passes for an average of 6.38 yds per pass he also threw 6 ints and had 7 fumbles his QBR was 29.9. If the broncos didn't have such a good defense a clutch kicker and good special teams they would of easily lost those games, they won those games in spite of tebows play not because of it.

Shoes
06-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Fluke? Looks like the play called for a pass and he passed it to an open receiver which ended the game. :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zuUIhv8z3M

steeldawg
06-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Fluke? Looks like the play called for a pass and he passed it to an open receiver which ended the game. :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zuUIhv8z3M

But the reason he doesn't have a job is because teams look at his body of work and they realize you cant win consistently season after season with a guy who is awful for the entire game is kept close by his defense and special team splash plays and then he has one drivie to win it. If he was truly a game changer at qb and the x factor to winning games the broncos and the jets would of not gotten rid of him and now nobody is signing him. Teams don't want a media circus for a guy who is going to ride the bench.

Shoes
06-08-2013, 07:45 PM
If he agrees to play another position he will have a career in the NFL and I think a good one. The Jets are a circus with or without Tebow.

steeldawg
06-08-2013, 07:46 PM
If he agrees to play another position he will have a career in the NFL and I think a good one. The Jets are a circus with or without Tebow.

Why what makes you so sure he would be good at another position.

Shoes
06-08-2013, 07:48 PM
He athletic and VERY competitive ....he just not a QB.

steeldawg
06-08-2013, 07:58 PM
He athletic and VERY competitive ....he just not a QB.

But so are all guys that get to the nfl, Just look at guys like Vernon davis, Antonio gates, jimmy graham, clark, gronk, Gonzales, miller no way tebow has that skill set. The cheerleaders are also atheletic and very competitive but we are not about to put them at TE. You need to be a huge target with very good hands, be able to make catches in traffic and hold on to balls while being hit also you have to be able pass block and run block tebow has done none of these things.

GBMelBlount
06-08-2013, 08:03 PM

Great athlete, great character. I would bring him in for a TE tryout in a hearbeat too.

Screw the media.

Shoes
06-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Look, the Steeler players have said as much. If he agrees to play another position he'll succeed.

steeldawg
06-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Look, the Steeler players have said as much. If he agrees to play another position he'll succeed.

They didn't say he would make a good TE? Despite what some players say tim tebow was voted the most overrated player in the league in a landslide.

Shoes
06-08-2013, 08:39 PM
They didn't say he would make a good TE? Despite what some players say tim tebow was voted the most overrated player in the league in a landslide.

.........no, but they think he can play in the NFL.....at some position. Maybe you should watch the highlights of the game again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210311/article/tim-tebow-has-pittsburgh-steelers-who-believe-in-him

bayz101
06-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Impossible to have Tebow without a media circus

And that's NOT fair at all.

steeldawg
06-08-2013, 11:13 PM
.........no, but they think he can play in the NFL.....at some position. Maybe you should watch the highlights of the game again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210311/article/tim-tebow-has-pittsburgh-steelers-who-believe-in-him

One game? who cares? tebow is hot garbage and teams know it, if he was some kind of phenom he would be on a team.

Shoes
06-08-2013, 11:25 PM
One game? who cares? tebow is hot garbage and teams know it, if he was some kind of Phnom he would be on a team.

You seem hell bent on hoping he never plays in the NFL........I'd say your dislike of Tebow has more to do with his personal life than his ability to play football. I'm done with this topic.

steeldawg
06-08-2013, 11:50 PM
You seem hell bent on hoping he never plays in the NFL........I'd say your dislike of Tebow has more to do with his personal life than his ability to play football. I'm done with this topic.

Lol I don't know him personally, why is he hot garbage personally too? The guy was a terrible qb I just don't know how being terrible at qb makes you suitable to play te?

Dodt
06-09-2013, 09:43 AM
The steelers should sign Tebow. The D could use a live tackling dummy.

X-Terminator
06-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Sorry, Steeldawg is right. Tebow is hot garbage AS A QB, not to mention the full-on media circus around him (which admittedly he didn't ask for and is not his fault), and really should go to the AFL or CFL if he wants to play again. It has ZERO to do with his personal life. He can praise Jesus all he wants - it still doesn't make him a good QB.

HollywoodSteel
06-09-2013, 02:45 PM
I have absolutely no sympathy for Tim Tebow and I certainly don't blame the media for this unprecedented situation. Now please, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't like him or that he did anything bad. He has maintained over and over that his faith, and his outspokenness about it, is more important to him than football. I'm not judging him for those priorities, but being what they are, he should be fine with this. Now he can get on with his life's work. His preaching from his celebrity pulpit built a flock of cult-like followers and THEY ARE THE ONES WHO MADE THIS A STORY. The press are covering that story because it gets them ratings, and getting ratings is their job - which, unlike Tebow, they are very good at. If being a football player were his priority, he would have made different choices. I do find it interesting that a guy who tries to come across as having zero ego, and is only doing what the lord wants of him, absolutely needs to be a QB in this league. Most failed QBs don't get the option of trying another position but teams are willing to give him that shot yet it's somehow... what? Beneath him?

Again, he can do whatever he wants and can say whatever he wants, and as long as he isn't hurting anyone I'm fine with it. He made his choices and now will live with them. I'm sure he'll be perfectly happy. It's his flock that will do the suffering.

steeldawg
06-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Sorry, Steeldawg is right. Tebow is hot garbage AS A QB, not to mention the full-on media circus around him (which admittedly he didn't ask for and is not his fault), and really should go to the AFL or CFL if he wants to play again. It has ZERO to do with his personal life. He can praise Jesus all he wants - it still doesn't make him a good QB.

Lol, you know you don't have to apologize everytime you say "steeldawg is right" its ok. Ya I don't care about his religion I only care if he can play ball, I mean we had Myron rolle playing for us who was a great guy and a road scholar but there was no way in hell I wanted him starting. I do also think tebow needs to take responsibility for the media circus, He is the one who wanted his religion out and on display and he was loving it while he was riding the wave, I didn't see him turning down any endorsements or opting out of any interviews.

Dwinsgames
06-09-2013, 05:17 PM
I have absolutely no sympathy for Tim Tebow and I certainly don't blame the media for this unprecedented situation. Now please, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't like him or that he did anything bad. He has maintained over and over that his faith, and his outspokenness about it, is more important to him than football. I'm not judging him for those priorities, but being what they are, he should be fine with this. Now he can get on with his life's work. His preaching from his celebrity pulpit built a flock of cult-like followers and THEY ARE THE ONES WHO MADE THIS A STORY. The press are covering that story because it gets them ratings, and getting ratings is their job - which, unlike Tebow, they are very good at. If being a football player were his priority, he would have made different choices. I do find it interesting that a guy who tries to come across as having zero ego, and is only doing what the lord wants of him, absolutely needs to be a QB in this league. Most failed QBs don't get the option of trying another position but teams are willing to give him that shot yet it's somehow... what? Beneath him?

Again, he can do whatever he wants and can say whatever he wants, and as long as he isn't hurting anyone I'm fine with it. He made his choices and now will live with them. I'm sure he'll be perfectly happy. It's his flock that will do the suffering.

excellent post

Chidi29
06-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Patriots to sign Tim Tebow.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/344198740132913152

Psycho Ward 86
06-10-2013, 04:55 PM
what. the fuck.

steeldawg
06-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Patriots signing hot garbage, per a source.

Spike
06-10-2013, 06:10 PM
hope he does well individually, but fuck the pats - that was my plan to use him as a TE/H-back coming out of Denver

Shoes
06-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Patriots to sign Tim Tebow.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/344198740132913152

:toofunny:

.........you can be sure Bill will find ways to use him.

Spike
06-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Their 2nd game of the season is against the Jets - maybe they'll just keep him till then, and after running up the score put in Tebow for a kneel-down at the end.

That would be good drama