PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Noll: Key to a franchise

zulater
06-07-2013, 01:31 PM
In 1969, Chuck Noll took over a Pittsburgh Steelers team that had never won a title of any kind. By the time he left 23 seasons later, the Steelers had become one of the NFL's greatest dynasties, with four Super Bowl wins.

Noll's Steelers won nine AFC Central titles in all, and their four championships came in a six-year period, spanning the 1974 through 1979 seasons. The only coach to win four Super Bowls, Noll was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1993

Read the rest ...... http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/greatestcoach5/greatest-coaches-nfl-history-chuck-noll

zulater
06-07-2013, 01:37 PM
The big thing with Chuck Noll was how consistent he was dealing with players. As a player, you always knew what to do and when to do it. He was always consistent with how he dealt with people. It didn't matter if you came from Penn State or Florida A&M or whether you were from USC or Southern University.

Steelers players always knew what was expected of them under Chuck Noll.
I don't see current coaches dealing with players the way he did. It's a different game now, and I see a lot of coaches getting caught up in the media with the way they deal with players. You see it on the sidelines. Chuck Noll was always consistent. You wouldn't see him give a high five if you made a great play or get in your face if you made a bad play. I guess that would make Chuck Noll a dinosaur now.

His pregame speeches were usually him talking about the game plan and how we had to use our fundamentals. But I was talking to Joe Greene about this the other day. The one pregame we never forgot was before our playoff game against the Oakland Raiders in 1974.

The week before, the Raiders beat the Miami Dolphins. Somebody saw that John Madden said the two best teams in football played that week and that was the Super Bowl. Chuck came in and said we were going out there and were going to win this game. He said we have the best team. We all looked around and said, "Wow." We had never seen that from Chuck. We went out there, won the game and went on to win our first Super Bowl.

-- Former Steelers defensive back and Hall of Famer Mel Blount, as told to John Clayton

tube517
06-07-2013, 02:17 PM
The America's Game series went over that speech and what was said. Yet Noll doesn't get shit for credit as one of the all time greats.
The Emperor is in the Hall of Fame with 4 Trophies. No one else can say that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

ALLD
06-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Is there a Chuck Noll Award to given anybody currently?

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a Chuck Noll Award to given anybody currently?

steeldevil
06-07-2013, 06:05 PM
The America's Game series went over that speech and what was said. Yet Noll doesn't get shit for credit as one of the all time greats.
The Emperor is in the Hall of Fame with 4 Trophies. No one else can say that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Lombardi won 5. Halas 6. Paul Brown 6.

But yeah, Noll doesn't get enough credit thats for sure.

tube517
06-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Lombardi won 5. Halas 6. Paul Brown 6.

But yeah, Noll doesn't get enough credit thats for sure.

Super Bowls. Noll has 4. No one else has as many. No one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

zulater
06-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Like I said on another thread. Noll never lost as the favorite. Regular season or playoffs if he had the better team he won.

Not impressed. Tell that to the 92 Pirates, this year's Penguins, the Patriots that lost a divisional playoff game to Rex Ryan and Mark sanchez, that alsolost as overwhelming favorites to the Giants in the Super bowl. Twice!

Check out Noll's playoff losses, tell me the time he lost with the better team?

polamalubeast
06-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Like I said on another thread. Noll never lost as the favorite. Regular season or playoffs if he had the better team he won.

Not impressed. Tell that to the 92 Pirates, this year's Penguins, the Patriots that lost a divisional playoff game to Rex Ryan and Mark sanchez, that alsolost as overwhelming favorites to the Giants in the Super bowl. Twice!

Check out Noll's playoff losses, tell me the time he lost with the better team?

In 1982 vs San Diego!!!!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198301090pit.htm

But of course,only one lost as favorite,this is amazing!!!!!

zulater
06-07-2013, 08:10 PM
In 1982 vs San Diego!!!!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198301090pit.htm

But of course,only one lost as favorite,this is amazing!!!!!

The Steelers had the home field advantage but the Chargers were favorites in Vegas for that game and they were in fact the more talented team. Old age had crept into the lineup and defensivley we just couldn't stop fouts and that passing game with our personell.

Dwinsgames
06-07-2013, 09:00 PM
The Steelers had the home field advantage but the Chargers were favorites in Vegas for that game and they were in fact the more talented team. Old age had crept into the lineup and defensivley we just couldn't stop fouts and that passing game with our personell.

old age and rule changes , that hindered our secondary that was built to physically overwhelm the opponent not out finesse them

steeldevil
06-07-2013, 09:44 PM
This is well before I was thought of so idk, but 1977 vs. Denver?

I know their D was great that year but that all I know about the 1977 Broncos. And I have never watched that game either.

polamalubeast
06-07-2013, 09:46 PM

I know their D was great that year but that all I know about the 1977 Broncos. And I have never watched that game either.

The steelers was not great in 1977(9-5 for the steelers....12-2 for Denver)

Count Steeler
06-07-2013, 09:59 PM
If injuries didn't kill the '76 playoff run, he would be the only coach to have 3 SB wins in a row. And 5 in 6 years.

I don't care what others say, I am glad Noll was a Steeler.

tube517
06-07-2013, 10:09 PM

That 77 team was a shell of the great 76 defensive team and the previous SB championship teams in 74-75.
Talk about distractions, they had a horrible offseason before the 77 season. Denver had a run with their "Orange Crush" defense that lasted one year. We blew them out the following year in the 78 playoffs, re-establishing our dominance.