PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith Back!

Pristas
06-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Well sort of...

Even though the former defensive end is no longer physically capable of competing on the field, the team has found away to utilize his experience and knowledge.
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/6/5/4399946/aaron-smith-to-participate-in-steelers-training-camp-on-scouting

Didn't some of you call this?

Count Steeler
06-05-2013, 05:59 PM
That is a welcome addition. Hope he can teach as well as he played. Not always a given, but he is one class act. Glad the Steelers found a spot for him.

st33lersguy
06-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Welcome back Aaron. Great to see

Seven
06-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Glad to hear it.

Mistah Q
06-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Not that I'm doubting Smith in particular -- but great player doesn't always (or even usually) equal good coach. Totally different facet of the game. Here's hoping he proves to be valuable.

Craic
06-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Not that I'm doubting Smith in particular -- but great player doesn't always (or even usually) equal good coach. Totally different facet of the game. Here's hoping he proves to be valuable.
I agree. Those that are usually great players are often great because they have unteachable skills/intuition/ability. They haven't had to dig down deep and fight just to make every element of their game precise enough that they can earn a spot on a team. That's why it's usually the technicians that make the better coaches. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying those players don't have talent, it's just a different thing.

It's why I think Hines Ward or Steve Largent would be great coaches.

Chidi29
06-05-2013, 09:47 PM
He's interning as a scout, not a coach

steelerdude15
06-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Welcome back Aaron. I hope that your internship goes well.

HollywoodSteel
06-09-2013, 03:46 PM
I can't say I called this exactly, but I certainly wanted him back. Of course, I wanted him back as a coach, not a scout. I think he'd make an excellent d-line coach because he had great technique in addition to the intangibles. But the main reason I'd want him around is to inspire the young guys with his attitude. He was one of the true greats to wear the black & gold, even if most people outside the fan base had no idea how awesome he really was. One of my all time favorite Steelers.

But if he wants to be a scout I have no doubt he'll be a great one. I think that guy would be great at anything he set his mind to.

Chidi29
06-09-2013, 05:14 PM
We already have an excellent D-Line coach, arguably one of the best in the league. Granted, can't see Coach Mitchell coaching for much longer but he's at the top. And he carries his fair share of inspirational stories too (first black player to play at Alabama).

HollywoodSteel
06-09-2013, 08:54 PM
We already have an excellent D-Line coach, arguably one of the best in the league. Granted, can't see Coach Mitchell coaching for much longer but he's at the top. And he carries his fair share of inspirational stories too (first black player to play at Alabama).

Yeah, I know and I wouldn't want coach Mitchell replaced or anything. I don't really have a specific job in mind for Aaron (maybe a d-line consultant or something?) and I understand that it probably isn't a realistic possibility. I just love the idea of him being around the young guys in some capacity, with the hopes that a little bit of that inspirational Aaron Smith attitude can rub off on them. You never know when we might be in a tight game... in the fourth quarter... fatigue starting to get the better of our big guys... and then Ziggy and Cameron glance over to see Mr. Smith on the sidelines and they think about what he's going through with his sick kid, and everything else that makes Aaron Smith who he is as a man and a player... I don't know about anyone else, but it would go a long way toward inspiring me to reach down deep and crank it up to eleven. You know, a real "win one for the Gipper" type of thing.