PDA

View Full Version : Ben goes under the knife

Spike
06-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Ben Roethlisberger undergoes 'minor' knee surgery

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin announced Wednesday that Ben Roethlisberger has gone under the knife.

The team's starting quarterback underwent what Tomlin described as "minor surgery" on his right knee Wednesday as the result of slight discomfort during the offseason.

"We advised him to get the surgery done to ensure he will be completely healthy for the start of training camp," Tomlin said in a statement released by the team. "This surgery will have no long-term effects on his health."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000209471/article/ben-roethlisberger-undergoes-minor-knee-surgery

tube517
06-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Drama queen :chuckle:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Spike
06-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Tune up time. Ben's gonna need his wheels.

Run Ben Run!

Carolina Steelers
06-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Glad he took care of it now, hate when players go through offseason might need surgery try to play through it and can't then opt for it in August clean it up,now

Polamalu Princess
06-05-2013, 04:00 PM
I sure hope it is minor and he will heal very quick.

GBMelBlount
06-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Tune up time. Ben's gonna need his wheels.

Run Ben Run!

http://holysoulshermitage.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/forrest-gump-running-braces.jpg?w=500&h=266

:lol:

Spike
06-05-2013, 06:16 PM
as long as it don't turn out to be another Deebo "out for 4 months minor procedure" we should be OK

Count Steeler
06-05-2013, 06:36 PM
as long as it don't turn out to be another Deebo "out for 4 months minor procedure" we should be OK

My thoughts exactly. "Minor" is not always so minor.

vader29
06-05-2013, 06:39 PM
The man is on standby if needed. :chuckle:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/283173_449524461765809_813613494_n.jpg

Moose
06-05-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm glad it's being done now. Hopefully he'll be ready and at 100 %, sorta getting tired of this injury crap.

7SteelGal43
06-05-2013, 08:35 PM
http://holysoulshermitage.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/forrest-gump-running-braces.jpg?w=500&h=266

:lol:

:toofunny:

tube517
06-06-2013, 08:57 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/283173_449524461765809_813613494_n.jpg

So, if Ben is Forrest, Chuck is Bubba. :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
06-06-2013, 11:21 AM

If I owned the Steelers I would give them all locker numbers that matched their Jersey numbers.

I would also use the sticky mailbox numbers instead of tape.

It's these little things that make people feel more special and they would probably win more games.

bayz101
06-06-2013, 11:27 AM
If I owned the Steelers I would give them all locker numbers that matched their Jersey numbers.

I would also use the sticky mailbox numbers instead of tape.

It's these little things that make people feel more special and they would probably win more games.

Isn't Baron Batch #20? Charlie could be standing in front of Baron's locker.

GBMelBlount
06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Isn't Baron Batch #20? Charlie could be standing in front of Baron's locker.

LOL. Tru dat. :lol:

steelerdude15
06-06-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm not worried about his surgery and I think he'll be fine by the time training camp starts. It was a small surgery to remove some frayed or loose cartilage that was causing him discomfort. He's had this surgery before and they won the Super Bowl the year he did. Here is an article that provides more information on the surgery:

Roethlisberger undergoes minor right knee surgery

Ben Roethlisberger had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Wednesday, and the Steelers can only hope it has the same results as the last time their quarterback had similar knee surgery.

Dr. James Bradley performed minor surgery on the knee to snip some loose or frayed cartilage that was causing Roethlisberger some discomfort. He is expected to be ready to go for training camp, but will miss the final spring practice today and minicamp practices next week.

Bradley performed similar surgery on Roethlisberger's left knee after it was injured in a game Oct. 10, 2005, at San Diego . Roethlisberger missed one game and returned the following week to start and help lead the Steelers to a Super Bowl victory that season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/roethlisberger-undergoes-minor-right-knee-surgery-690466/#ixzz2VUoJzfbC

This is from the article and I think is a great sign:

A source close to the team said Bradley found Roethlisberger's right knee to be otherwise healthy during the surgery, which he called "encouraging."

"The scare is that when you go in, you discover it's worse," the source said. "His is not; it's very, very healthy and encouraging on that regard."

zulater
06-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Ben says he'll 'absolutely' be ready for camp, doctor 'pleasantly surprised' after checking knee. 'I could play Sunday.

https://twitter.com/Dejan_Kovacevic

GodfatherofSoul
06-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Why isn't this stuff taken care of right after the last season? He had 5 months to get this done.

HollywoodSteel
06-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Why isn't this stuff taken care of right after the last season? He had 5 months to get this done.

I imagine because the knee wasn't causing him discomfort then. But I'm all for players taking care surgeries at convenient times, regardless of when the actual problem arises. Preemptive surgery, that's the key. :)

HollywoodSteel
06-11-2013, 12:35 PM
I imagine because the knee wasn't causing him discomfort then. But I'm all for players taking care surgeries at convenient times, regardless of when the actual problem arises. Preemptive surgery, that's the key. :)

I apologize if that came off as snarky. I actually do understand where you're coming from because an obvious mistake was made last year with Harrison. But the difference is, in Harrison's case, when he first became symptomatic he (and the organization) decided to take a wait and see approach because they weren't sure if surgery was necessary. Turns out it was and he got the surgery in August instead of when the problem first arose. In Ben's case, as soon as he started to feel the discomfort they decided to have the surgery right away, even if it might have turned out to not be necessary. If he had been symptomatic earlier in the offseason then I'd be with you 100% on this. I take it that this was probably your understanding of it, but I read that the knee problem didn't come up until OTAs.

fansince'76
06-11-2013, 12:48 PM

I tend to agree, especially since Harrison's knee surgery last year was similarly put off and was also supposedly "no big deal." For also being "minor," it certainly turned into a big deal, didn't it?

IMO, Ben should have gotten this squared away back in February at the latest.

HollywoodSteel
06-11-2013, 12:54 PM
I tend to agree, especially since Harrison's knee surgery last year was similarly put off and was also supposedly "no big deal." For also being "minor," it certainly turned into a big deal, didn't it?

IMO, Ben should have gotten this squared away back in February at the latest.

So, am I mistaken about when this problem first came up? I could have sworn that I read about Ben first mentioning the symptoms more recently than that. Maybe I'll go back and look at the articles.

fansince'76
06-11-2013, 12:57 PM
So, am I mistaken about when this problem first came up? I could have sworn that I read about Ben first mentioning the symptoms more recently than that. Maybe I'll go back and look at the articles.

The team's starting quarterback underwent what Tomlin described as "minor surgery" on his right knee Wednesday as the result of slight discomfort during the offseason.

Kinda cryptic, but I take that as meaning before OTAs started. I'm just wary because Harrison's surgery was also called "minor" last year, and it turned out to be anything but.

HollywoodSteel
06-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Kinda cryptic, but I take that as meaning before OTAs started. I'm just wary because Harrison's surgery was also called "minor" last year, and it turned out to be anything but.

There's this:

Roethlisberger had been a full participant during organized team activities but was concerned enough about the knee that he brought it to the team’s attention. Advisors suggested he have the surgery now to give him a clean bill of health when the season begins.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/5/ben-roethlisberger-knee-surgery-steelers-qb/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS#ixzz2VvtrNmv1
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

I guess it isn't definitive but I read that as Ben coming to the team about the knee after OTAs, because he seemed to be fine during them. The word "now" leads me to believe that there was no wait and see attitude.

I can't seem to find the old articles that came out when the decision was made to have the surgery. But I do remember reading about Ben coming to the team with the issue and them deciding to have the surgery "right away." That implies that report of injury and decision to have surgery happened right on top of each other. In Harrison's case, I remember the report of discomfort and then the decision to wait. This seems to be very different to me.

GodfatherofSoul
06-11-2013, 01:33 PM
I apologize if that came off as snarky. I actually do understand where you're coming from because an obvious mistake was made last year with Harrison. But the difference is, in Harrison's case, when he first became symptomatic he (and the organization) decided to take a wait and see approach because they weren't sure if surgery was necessary. Turns out it was and he got the surgery in August instead of when the problem first arose. In Ben's case, as soon as he started to feel the discomfort they decided to have the surgery right away, even if it might have turned out to not be necessary. If he had been symptomatic earlier in the offseason then I'd be with you 100% on this. I take it that this was probably your understanding of it, but I read that the knee problem didn't come up until OTAs.

Didn't take it offensively at all, thx for the insight

Shoes
06-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Here's Ben.............

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Ben-Roethlisberger---Minicamp/a649de5a-d759-47c4-84f8-d03cbc6e64cd

fansince'76
06-11-2013, 08:08 PM
There's this:

Roethlisberger had been a full participant during organized team activities but was concerned enough about the knee that he brought it to the team’s attention. Advisors suggested he have the surgery now to give him a clean bill of health when the season begins.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/5/ben-roethlisberger-knee-surgery-steelers-qb/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS#ixzz2VvtrNmv1
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

I guess it isn't definitive but I read that as Ben coming to the team about the knee after OTAs, because he seemed to be fine during them. The word "now" leads me to believe that there was no wait and see attitude.

I can't seem to find the old articles that came out when the decision was made to have the surgery. But I do remember reading about Ben coming to the team with the issue and them deciding to have the surgery "right away." That implies that report of injury and decision to have surgery happened right on top of each other. In Harrison's case, I remember the report of discomfort and then the decision to wait. This seems to be very different to me.

Yeah, I can certainly see what you mean. I will give Ben the benefit of the doubt here and assume that the discomfort with the knee is a recent occurrence and hope like hell it's not a repeat of Harrison's "minor" knee issue last year.