PDA

View Full Version : "Jonathan Dwyer is heavy, real heavy

polamalubeast
06-05-2013, 06:12 AM
"Jonathan Dwyer is heavy, real heavy, and his teammates cannot believe he is in such lousy shape. It’s early June, so he has a few months to get into shape, but if he reports to camp this way, his roster spot is in severe jeopardy. Unless there is an injury, he may not make it anyway because as I’ve written, the Steelers are not likely to carry two backup running backs at a $1.3 million salary each. And Isaac Redman is way ahead of Dwyer in the pecking order."

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/121491-ed-rookie-signings-mean-little-anymore

Spike
06-05-2013, 06:33 AM
stop stealing my stuff

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/17475-Steelers-Sign-Second-Round-Pick-Le-Veon-Bell

zulater
06-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Mid 20's and he can't stay in shape for a 1.3 million dollar job? :doh: Go out in the real world Jonathan see how many entry level positions you can find that pay 6 figures let alone 7 figures.

Back in the day when marginal players made working man's wages playing football and they needed to work in the offseason to make a living, I could understand getting out of shape in the offseason.

But you make the sort of money these guy's do and you can't go to the gym, can't put in the time to be fit? :frusty:

Oh well this makes the Steelers decision easy, wont have to waste time in camp by taking away reps from running backs that actually give a damn about their job.

GBMelBlount
06-05-2013, 06:56 AM
I guess at that age it is possible to whip yourself into shape in 6-8 weeks I but I am not banking on it in this case.

I just can't understand the apathy with some of these players.

86WARD
06-05-2013, 07:29 AM
This has always been one of his problems...

salamander
06-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Not good, Mr. Dwyer. Not good.

Pristas
06-05-2013, 09:40 AM
I heard he spent the offseason training at the WTC...

Woodley Training Complex

Everyday;

Wake at 9:30 am
Eat Pancakes and Waffles
Walk around mall and buy new shoes
Noon- Time for Burgers and Pizza
Serious training time - Madden 2013!
6 pm Dinner! Lots of Carbs!
Time for another workout, walk around car lots. Buy larger truck to fit posterior.
10 pm. Hang out with Wiz Kalifa, go to bed after 2 am.
Pull Hamstring getting back into truck to drive home
repeat...

GodfatherofSoul
06-05-2013, 10:17 AM
If a 2nd round RB draft pick doesn't motivate you, maybe it's time to pursue other goals?

tube517
06-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Dwyer's done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

SteelerFanInStl
06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
If a 2nd round RB draft pick doesn't motivate you, maybe it's time to pursue other goals?

This

Might as well just cut him now and bring in someone who wants to play.

GBMelBlount
06-05-2013, 11:37 AM
CLASSIC! :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Woodley Training Complex

Everyday;

Eat Pancakes and Waffles
Time for another workout, walk around car lots. Buy larger truck to fit posterior.
repeat...

Dwinsgames
06-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Tomlin used a over weight pic of Dwyer prior to last year and said if players come into camp looking like this ( Dwyer pic shown ) they will be looking for work elsewhere ....

Dwyer took head and came to camp last year in the best shape he had ever shown up at camp in ....

They tender him this off season at 1.3 mil ( more than he made his prior 2 seasons combined ) and he goes on a SEE food diet , he see's food he eats it ....

Looks like Dwyer has a short memory , I am guessing Tomlins memory is not so short ....

zulater
06-05-2013, 01:19 PM

Woodley Training Complex

Everyday;

Eat Pancakes and Waffles
repeat...

Could have been worse, could have gone to Camp Casey. ( Hampton) :chuckle:

Shoes
06-05-2013, 01:36 PM
This has always been one of his problems...

Exactly...send him down the road!

steelreserve
06-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Seriously, you're a football player and it's the offseason. What the fuck else do you have to do that's preventing you from staying in shape? Even if you played video games 4 hours a day and partied your ass off, you don't have 1 or 2 hours a day to spend at the gym? Are you kidding me?

ALLD
06-05-2013, 02:31 PM
I go to the gym all the time and I am not a professional athlete. For health reasons I want to stay in shape. It's not good to drop 50 lbs in two months either even if you can, you will be weak.

For $1.3 million I would look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Psycho Ward 86
06-05-2013, 03:55 PM
i wonder how overweight

Chidi29
06-05-2013, 04:21 PM
But guys, he's so good!

*Closes Thread From Week 8*

GBMelBlount
06-05-2013, 04:27 PM
I go to the gym all the time and I am not a professional athlete. For health reasons I want to stay in shape. It's not good to drop 50 lbs in two months either even if you can, you will be weak.

For $1.3 million I would look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

You mean 70 years old with "bitch tit"? :lol:

On a side note wife and I just watched Arnie's comeback movie and it was pretty good.

Seven
06-05-2013, 04:56 PM

Woodley Training Complex

Everyday;

Eat Pancakes and Waffles
repeat...

Haha that is really funny

Pristas
06-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Could have been worse, could have gone to Camp Casey. ( Hampton) :chuckle:

There's only one man big enough for Camp Casey, and he don't share snacks.

zulater
06-05-2013, 05:08 PM
There's only one man big enough for Camp Casey, and he don't share snacks.

I think Jamarcus Russell might have spent some time there earlair in his career. :lol:

steeldawg
06-05-2013, 06:43 PM
But guys, he's so good!

*Closes Thread From Week 8*

Ya I took a beating for saying he was not a starting caliber back.

Seven
06-05-2013, 08:08 PM
It's a shame he can't keep in shape. He outperformed the other backs on our roster last year when his lungs allowed him to stay on the field. But if you can't stay on the field it doesn't matter.

GBMelBlount
06-05-2013, 08:58 PM
It's a shame he can't keep in shape. He outperformed the other backs on our roster last year when his lungs allowed him to stay on the field. But if you can't stay on the field it doesn't matter.

Absolutely.

He's talented just not hungry (in the football sense, not the buffet sense)

Shoes
06-05-2013, 09:05 PM
i wonder how overweight

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/punxphil_zps72a3dd9a.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/vestkap/media/punxphil_zps72a3dd9a.jpg.html)

Count Steeler
06-06-2013, 04:54 AM
Jonathan Dwyer ‏@Dwyer27 (https://twitter.com/JDwyer27)

@CountSteeler (https://twitter.com/CountSteeler) lol I don't care what paper said I'm not overweight or any of that bull crap ill be 230 in August and win the starting job

From Jonathan last night after I asked him about the report in the Post Gazette. FWIW.

86WARD
06-06-2013, 05:39 AM

@CountSteeler (https://twitter.com/CountSteeler) lol I don't care what paper said I'm not overweight or any of that bull crap ill be 230 in August and win the starting job

From Jonathan last night after I asked him about the report in the Post Gazette. FWIW.

Lol. Nice!!

Shoes
06-06-2013, 08:15 AM

Not over weight now?........but you'll be 230 in August? okay.

Psycho Ward 86
06-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Not over weight now?........but you'll be 230 in August? okay.

That doesnt mean he's not around there now.

Although it definitely is hard to trust him knowing he had weight issues in college.

bayz101
06-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Not overweight now, but you'll be at 230 in August?

Wait, wouldn't that mean you're over your billed 230 now, Jon? If it smells like bullshit...

- - - Updated - - -

That doesnt mean he's not around there now.

Although it definitely is hard to trust him knowing he had weight issues in college.

If he's close to 230 now, and recent photos of him aren't photo-shopped, he should definitely be lower than 230. Kid looks like he has a beer gut.

steelreserve
06-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Unless there is an injury, he may not make it anyway because as I’ve written, the Steelers are not likely to carry two backup running backs at a $1.3 million salary each. And Isaac Redman is way ahead of Dwyer in the pecking order."

One thing I didn't notice at all until now - Redman is 29 years old. I had no idea. That's like almost the end of your career at RB. I wonder if that plays into however this turns out.

Shoes
06-06-2013, 02:04 PM
There is absolutely no excuse for a 23 year old professional athlete ( who is paid to stay in shape ) to come to camp ....FAT....PERIOD!!!!! There is no way will he'll beat Bell or Red for the #1 & #2 spot.

Chidi29
06-06-2013, 02:06 PM
One thing I didn't notice at all until now - Redman is 29 years old. I had no idea. That's like almost the end of your career at RB. I wonder if that plays into however this turns out.

But the wear and tear is fairly minimal. From college to now, only in one year did he have over 157 carries.

Shoes
06-06-2013, 02:12 PM
But the wear and tear is fairly minimal. From college to now, only in one year did he have over 157 carries.

I agree....and Red seems to be on a personal mission to prove himself this year. Red's one up on Punxsutawney Phil.....he came to OTA's in shape.

Seven
06-06-2013, 02:17 PM

Haha that's funny Count. I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He's a nice kid and can definitely play. if he were in the best shape of his life I'd have no doubts whatsoever he would win the starting job. but as it is if he can get down to around 230 by camp I think our best bet is hoping Bell wins the job and Dwyer is change of pace. IF he makes the team. Who knows, maybe your tweet will inspire him and you'll be the cause for him coming into camp at like 215 pounds :chuckle:

Chidi29
06-06-2013, 02:19 PM
I agree....and Red seems to be on a personal mission to prove himself this year. Red's one up on Punxsutawney Phil.....he came to OTA's in shape.

That said, I'm not buying into Redman being a full-time starter. He's a guy that relies on fresh legs and is a timeshare back.

Craic
06-06-2013, 03:45 PM
There is absolutely no excuse for a 23 year old professional athlete ( who is paid to stay in shape ) to come to camp ....FAT....PERIOD!!!!! There is no way will he'll beat Bell or Red for the #1 & #2 spot.

Absolutely.

He's talented just not hungry (in the football sense, not the buffet sense)

Seriously, you're a football player and it's the offseason. What the fuck else do you have to do that's preventing you from staying in shape? Even if you played video games 4 hours a day and partied your ass off, you don't have 1 or 2 hours a day to spend at the gym? Are you kidding me?

One thing you all are forgetting in your comments, and this is an area I'mvery familiar with: he suffers from diagnosed ADD. It has nothing to do with "not being hungry (for football) or motivation. It's exactly what's preventing him from getting and staying in shape. Chemical imbalances in the brain inhibit the ability to stay focused or even force yourself to do tasks that you know you need to do. I also have no doubt that if he hits "hyperfocus," he'll come into camp at whatever weight he wants, and in shape. In order for someone with ADD to motivate to do a task, it takes two distinct motivators to cross. The first is challenge, the second is desire. Personal example. As many of you know, I'm working on a Ph.D. in OT. While the smart thing to do is write papers weeks in advance, I usually didn't start my paper writing until a week, week and a half before it was due. Even though I'd sit at my desk for eight to ten hours a day and try to force myself to write for the week or two before that. I just couldn't do it, and would end up on one of many different websites or reading fanfiction or some other thing.

Only when the deadline loomed larger than life was I able to snap into writing my paper. Physical chores? Forget about it.

I'm not offering this as an excuse as to why it is okay for Dwyer to come into camp heavy. It's not. Period. It is however, a better way of understanding that he is literally dealing with a medical problem that is driving these things.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_adult_symptoms.htm

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/guide/adhd-adults

GBMelBlount
06-06-2013, 03:52 PM
That is a great point Preach.

We could also look at nature vs. nurture while we're at it. :lol:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9cN3HG_TP8T5Bbm1YwzcK7zhI36Fss 26yntXqXEa_JH9zVRgUoQ

Psycho Ward 86
06-06-2013, 04:42 PM
interestingly enough, no one here seems to actually know how much dwyer weighs. lets just agree with one guy who said he's fat

Seven
06-06-2013, 05:06 PM
interestingly enough, no one here seems to actually know how much dwyer weighs. lets just agree with one guy who said he's fat

That's what I want to know. How big is he?

GodfatherofSoul
06-06-2013, 05:30 PM
That's what I want to know. How big is he?

Yo' RB so fat, he's gonna get cut in camp for 2 guys less talented than he is.

Shoes
06-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Congrats on pushing forward with the Ph.D, Preach! I'm aware of Dwyer having ADD, but there are many athletes past and present who also have it. My beef is the weight.....he never seemed to have a problem learning the playbook nor has he lacked focus on any game assignment that I can remember. There are players who come to camp out of shape with no ADD and are flat-out lazy. I just find it hard to believe that Dwyer's weight problem has anything to do with ADD. On a side note I was surprised to find out that Terry Bradshaw also has ADD. I always seem to have a lack of focus on things I would rather not do. :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
06-06-2013, 07:20 PM
ADD or AD/HD (they are 2 different disorders) is NOT an excuse, and I truly hope he doesn't pull that card if or when he is cut. I say this as someone who was diagnosed as a teen/adult, but who suffered throughout my childhood with it, and I also say this as a person who has grown up around mental illness. I take it very seriously.

I'm also a teacher and have done some graduate work on mental illness. I hear this hooey all the time from parents and kids and have read countless IEP and 504 plans about this for many lazy-ass kids.

The bottom-line is this. IF this is the reason Dwyer is supposedly slacking in his conditioning, then he could be hopped up on all the ADD medicine in the world, and it won't do him a bit of good. Too many people simply take the medicine without really learning any coping skills to go along with it. I was fortunate to have a GREAT therapist both as a child and an adult (which Dwyer has better access to) to teach me HOW to cope. I took some meds when I was older (and after marriage #1) but realized that I could COPE pretty good without them. Doctors that prescribe any meds for both kids and adults without strongly pushing for therapy should be thrown in jail.

He has no one to blame but himself, IF this report from Douchette is true.

Sorry Preach....this certainly isn't directed at you personally. I respect you immensely. It's obviously a sensitive subject for me.

Seven
06-06-2013, 09:14 PM

I'm not sure Redman's weight loss is a good thing. I don't necessarily know that he's fitter, he's just lighter. Time will tell though. Maybe it's a good thing. But for the type of back he is I probably would have rather seen him keep the weight on. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

GBMelBlount
06-06-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't mind the ADD as long as he can still SUBTRACT.

Count Steeler
06-07-2013, 05:26 AM
I don't mind the ADD as long as he can still SUBTRACT.

:buttkick:

steelreserve
06-07-2013, 09:46 AM

On the other hand, how often do you see a so-so RB playing well into his 30s because he's played sparingly? Regardless of how often he's been used, I don't think time is on his side and we cna expect maybe a couple more years.

Psycho Ward 86
06-07-2013, 12:18 PM
If he's close to 230 now, and recent photos of him aren't photo-shopped, he should definitely be lower than 230. Kid looks like he has a beer gut.

Meh, im going to give him the benefit of the doubt seeing that this news is only coming from Ed in the form of a sentence or two. If it was so alarming it probably would probably be 'news' elsewhere as well. Photos arent going to tell you much. Dwyer has got got to be one of the least physically imposing looking backs for his size in the 1st place anyways. So is Clinton Portis. And he was an alright player.