PDA

View Full Version : Why the Steelers Should Give JaMarcus Russell a Shot at a Spot on Their Bench

polamalubeast
06-03-2013, 01:29 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers appear to have their quarterback depth chart filled out, with starter Ben Roethlisberger backed up by veteran free-agent addition Bruce Gradkowski and 2013 draft pick Landry Jones. But perhaps they have room for one more passer on their roster—JaMarcus Russell.

Russell, the Oakland Raiders' 2007 draft pick and first-overall selection, lasted in the NFL until just 2009 and is one of the most notorious busts in league history. However, he's been on the comeback trail this year, working out to slim down to his old playing weight and trying to show teams that he's a changed person—more dedicated, mature and committed to finally living up to his potential.

This hard work—Russell is now down to 265 pounds, the weight he was at his NFL Scouting Combine appearance back in 2007—seems to be close to paying off, with NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reporting last week that "more than one team" has a lot of interest in signing Russell. According to Rapoport, Russell is looking for a situation that would allow him to ride the bench for a year or two behind an established starter and relearn the ropes with an eye for a starting shot down the line.

That's why the Steelers look like an ideal fit for Russell. They could bring him in prior to training camp and have him compete with Gradkowski (something Russell is familiar with, as the two were together in Oakland). Should Russell impress enough, the Steelers could then opt to keep Russell on as Roethlisberger's primary backup, giving him the perfect NFL re-education in the process.

There are many situations from which Russell could benefit, such as with the New Orleans Saints behind surgical passer Drew Brees or with the New England Patriots, where Russell can be kept in a media-protected bubble thanks to the powers of control their head coach, Bill Belichick, is so adept at wielding. However, if Russell wants to re-acclimate himself, nothing will help him more than sitting behind Roethlisberger.

The fact that both Russell and Roethlisberger are big—Russell is 6'6" and, as reported, 265 pounds, while Roethlisberger is 6'5" and 241 pounds—means that Russell can study behind someone who plays the game carrying a similar frame. Watching and learning from Roethlisberger will allow Russell to see how he can use his size to an advantage—such as when to elude and when to take hits—as well as how to balance his large size with an equally large throwing arm.

The presence of Roethlisberger also means that Russell can step into a situation under very little pressure. By joining the Steelers, Russell will know that there's little chance of him being a starter in Pittsburgh—instead, his time there would be more like a stepping stone, a training ground that will allow him time to prove he's worthy of some other team's starting attention after making the most of his chances in the black and gold. He can focus with few distractions while also being in a situation where he himself won't become a distraction either.

read more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1660086-why-the-steelers-should-give-jamarcus-russell-a-shot-at-a-spot-on-their-bench

zulater
06-03-2013, 01:32 PM
The guy's an idiot. Even if he has NFL talent all he'll be is a stronger armed slower Kordell Stewart.

And please don't anyone try to make this a racial issue, because if I could start a team with any young qb in the league R.G. III and Russell Wilson would be at the top of my list ( after Andrew Luck)

But dumb is dumb, and if you can't proccess information at the line of scrimmage it doesn't matter what you weigh or how great your arm is.

Dwinsgames
06-03-2013, 01:42 PM
NO !

zulater
06-03-2013, 01:49 PM
If you can find a way to transplant Charlie Batch's brain into Russell's body I'm all for it.

pepsyman1
06-03-2013, 01:54 PM
These "journalists" will write any type of rubbish with a straight face. Makes me want to hurl....

Chidi29
06-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Oh Bleacher Report, never failing to amaze me...

Count Steeler
06-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Ya, pass.

steeldawg
06-03-2013, 04:42 PM
LOL, What!? I would rather have gradkowski at least I know he can read a defense. Russels problem was never physical talent it was always the fact that he was a mental midget.

steelreserve
06-03-2013, 04:47 PM
April Fool's Day was two months ago, duh.

Mistah Q
06-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Absolutely not.

salamander
06-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Hell no!

Craic
06-03-2013, 05:19 PM
I still like the idea of bringing him in, fattening him up, and see if he can play nose-tackle. There's a thread around here about that somewhere. :chuckle:

ALLD
06-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Somebody ate the brown acid.

X-Terminator
06-03-2013, 08:14 PM
:toofunny:

Bleacher Report at it again!

Hindes204
06-03-2013, 08:16 PM
I never made it past the title.......that's just plain ridiculous

Shoes
06-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Delete this thread......please!

steelerdude15
06-03-2013, 10:56 PM
No thanks.

Spike
06-04-2013, 06:21 AM
get that fucking Bleacher Report garbage out of here

you know it's a blog written by 12 year olds, right?

Pristas
06-04-2013, 08:24 AM
wow, just wow. To even think that we, the Patriots or New Orleans would even remotely consider this guy is absurd. Spike, give 12 year olds more credit.

tube517
06-04-2013, 08:46 AM
JaofftheMarcus Russell

GodfatherofSoul
06-04-2013, 10:26 AM
I still like the idea of bringing him in, fattening him up, and see if he can play nose-tackle. There's a thread around here about that somewhere. :chuckle:

Is that a joke?

GBMelBlount
06-04-2013, 10:38 AM
He's big and athletic and has been up to 310lbs.

So he arguably has as good a shot at NT as he would QB. LOL.

86WARD
06-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Jamarcus Russell? Lol...

zulater
06-04-2013, 11:29 AM
When I read the thread title I thought maybe Jamarcus had gone into carpentry, and the Steelers bench needed some form of repair?

TheRuneMeister
06-04-2013, 01:28 PM
How about bringing him in as a tackle, then do some wildcat stuff. No one has done that with a tackle, and I'm sure Ben can cut if he needs to :)

KeiselPower99
06-04-2013, 04:31 PM
I swear to god bleacher report is the worst website I have ever seen. There was a article a few weeks ago that was called 5 Steelers who may play their last season with us. The only reasoning was contract year. As for this article I think the writer clearly drank some of JaMarcus's grape drank and is still high.

st33lersguy
06-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Bring in someone who never could read a defense or throw an accurate in the NFL who has built up 3 years of rust while out of the NFL, nice logic Bleacher Report

Dwinsgames
06-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Bring in someone who never could read a defense or throw an accurate in the NFL who has built up 3 years of rust while out of the NFL, nice logic Bleacher Report

that 3 years of rust could not be any worse than his 3 years of " well oiled machine Years he put up " ... could it ? LMAO like I said in the beginning ...... NO !

st33lersguy
06-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Not to mention the fact that the Steelers are set at QB with Ben, Bruce Gradkowski, and Landry Jones. So this move basically means, bring in this guy who couldn't play at a position you don't need to address