PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Crosby used experimental spinning chair to rehab from concussion

stillers4me
06-02-2013, 12:55 PM
It's the machine credited for curing the concussion of NHL star Sidney Crosby.

It's the machine Avalanche first-round draft pick Joey Hishon credits for helping him get back on the ice after nearly two years of conventional but fruitless medical treatment for a concussion.

Some parents of children with autism say they are seeing dramatic results, as do patients with disorders ranging from cerebral palsy to Asperger's syndrome.

Miracle machine? A huge breakthrough for the treatment of brain-related injuries? Or quack science, nothing more than an expensive placebo?

No one is sure.

The GyroStim is a computer-controlled, enclosed spinning chair invented by a 52-year old former semiconductor engineer from Colorado Springs, Kevin Maher, a man desperate to find a way to help his young daughter who has cerebral palsy. The Food and Drug Administration is deciding whether to give the device its seal of approval. Double-blind studies have yet to be published.

"The possibility of this is so exciting that I just want to do more research with it," said Dr. Lisa Avery, an M.D. neurologist based in Clearwater, Fla., whose clinic recently ordered a GyroStim. "I know a lot of this is just anecdotal evidence right now, and I was skeptical at first because if someone with a concussion for only a week or two got better using the GyroStim, it could have been from anything. Concussions can be gone, just like that, in the early stages.........

Read more @ http://m.denverpost.com/denverpost/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=uhanghe8&full=true#display