PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin pleased with afternoon practice

LLT
08-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Tomlin pleased with afternoon practice
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 4, 2010

» Steelers coach Mike Tomlin finally saw something he really liked at training camp. "That was a legitimate training camp practice," Tomlin said following Tuesday afternoon's session at Saint Vincent College. "I loved the ebb and flow, success and failure on both sides of the ball. We're growing as a football team. We need to match and exceed that (today)."

» What Tomlin liked included an efficient passing attack during 11-on-11 red-zone drills. Rookie wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders was a popular target. His highlight play featured a leaping, twisting touchdown catch on a bullet pass from Byron Leftwich.

» Running back Mewelde Moore, who filled in for a nicked-up Rashard Mendenhall for the second straight day, made a nice running sideline grab on a floater from Ben Roethlisberger.

» Roethlisberger took the most snaps during the red-zone drill with six. Leftwich and Dennis Dixon each took five snaps.

» Even though it appears the Steelers are focusing a lot more on moving the ball on the ground — they opened yesterday's afternoon session with running plays — don't be fooled by appearances. It only looks that way, according to Tomlin. "I know that's been a hot topic. What we're interested in is being more effective running the ball," Tomlin said. "Our emphasis really hasn't changed. We haven't had as much success as we'd like. We'll continue to work in that area."

read more at
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_693340.html

BuddhaBus
08-04-2010, 04:33 AM
I think we're gonna love this Sanders kid. I can't wait to see him in a game situation.

Killer
08-04-2010, 04:35 AM
"Speaking of the running game, it went nowhere on one play when inside linebacker Larry Foote met fullback Frank Summers head-on in the hole, easily winning hit-of-the-day honors. Summers was blocking for running back Justin Vincent."

"Tomlin told rookie offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey to line up again after Ziggy Hood beat him during lineman drills. Pouncey handled Hood on the next snap."

good stuff

zulater
08-04-2010, 04:38 AM
I'm glad we're not getting a repeat of last year's "camp cupcake." The team didn't have the right focus or mental toughness to finish teams off last year.

Chidi29
08-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Anyone know who was the second-team running back? Could Vincent get it due to senority over Dwyer and Redman?

Galax Steeler
08-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Anyone know who was the second-team running back? Could Vincent get it due to senority over Dwyer and Redman?

I just have a gut feeling about Dwyer I think he will be the no.2 behind Mendenhall.

Psycho Ward 86
08-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Bahaha, Larry Foote vs. Frank Summers isnt even fair.

As for this tidbit...

"Tomlin told rookie offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey to line up again after Ziggy Hood beat him during lineman drills. Pouncey handled Hood on the next snap."

Sounds like a case of an unstoppable force colliding with an immovable object :chuckle:

Pouncey: 1 Ziggy: 1