PDA

View Full Version : Colon hopes to help 'Hotel' learn the ropes

LLT
08-04-2010, 04:25 AM
Colon hopes to help 'Hotel' learn the ropes
By Kevin Gorman, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 4, 2010

With his right foot in a bulky boot and his season over before it began, Willie Colon watched the Steelers practice Monday morning with the conscience of a concierge.

He's willing to do anything to help the Hotel.

Now that his streak of 50 consecutive starts at right tackle has been ended by a torn Achilles tendon, Colon is hoping to mentor his replacement, Flozell Adams — aka "Hotel" — in making the transition from left tackle to the right side.

"Flo has never been in a zone system. Down in Dallas, he was pretty much a power guy," Colon said. "It is a big transition. A lot of people don't understand that. It's going to take him some time. Any tidbits I can give him to make his transition easier, I will try to help him out with that.

"That's my role right now, and I'm willing to take it on."

read more at...
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_693290.html

Chidi29
08-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Good to see that Colon isn't seperating himself from the team. I know some guys just become a shadow and not really apart of the team if they go down with an injury.

Devilsdancefloor
08-04-2010, 05:07 PM
This is great news! Most guys would pout and not want to help out!

tony hipchest
08-04-2010, 09:27 PM
"Flo has never been in a zone system. Down in Dallas, he was pretty much a power guy," Colon said. "It is a big transition. A lot of people don't understand that. It's going to take him some time. Any tidbits I can give him to make his transition easier, I will try to help him out with that.can we finally call dicking around with this "zone system" a complete failure and scrap it altogether?

i mean we got some freaking huge powerful maulers trying to play some nimble footed finesse game. :doh:

K.I.S.S.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-04-2010, 11:42 PM
can we finally call dicking around with this "zone system" a complete failure and scrap it altogether?

i mean we got some freaking huge powerful maulers trying to play some nimble footed finesse game. :doh:

K.I.S.S.

I guess Kugler is a guy that likes to zone more. I honestly charted like 4 games in a row and the Steelers looked to zone run block only maybe 10% of the time. When Kemo pulls to the right and leads in the hole, its not a zone block. It can screw up a blitz, so it has a place.

I'm still not sold that Colon will be in B&G next year or beyond, but good on him to help out Flo.

tony hipchest
08-04-2010, 11:58 PM
I guess Kugler is a guy that likes to zone more. I honestly charted like 4 games in a row and the Steelers looked to zone run block only maybe 10% of the time. When Kemo pulls to the right and leads in the hole, its not a zone block. It can screw up a blitz, so it has a place.

I'm still not sold that Colon will be in B&G next year or beyond, but good on him to help out Flo.serious question...

were those 10% of the plays the same ones where the linemen kinda stood around looking confused and ben scrambled or got sacked?