PDA

View Full Version : Youngest Steelers line in 56 years

polamalubeast
05-31-2013, 09:26 AM
Steelers wide receivers called themselves Young Money the last couple of seasons. But as far as age goes, they have nothing on the franchise's offensive line.

Unless there are injuries or unanticipated lineup changes between now and the Sept. 10 opener against the Titans, the Steelers won't have fielded an offensive line this inexperienced since 1959.

That's when Dwight Eisenhower was serving out his second term as president and Buddy Parker fielded the second of two straight winning record teams as Steelers coach — the first time the Steelers had done that in 16 years.

For now, the current unit is left tackle Marcus Gilbert (25, two years of experience), left guard Ramon Foster (27, four years), center Maurkice Pouncey (24, three years), right guard David DeCastro (23, one year) and right tackle Mike Adams (23, one year). Pouncey is 23 but has a birthday July 24, right before training camp starts.

The right side of the line — DeCastro and Adams — is inexperienced, with only nine starts between them, six by Adams. DeCastro and Adams were out with injuries for long stretches of their rookie seasons a year ago.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4105572-74/steelers-adams-experience#ixzz2UseK78Yn
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

GBMelBlount
05-31-2013, 10:37 AM
I think this line has a lot of potential with the right motivation and coaching.

We had one of the best lines in NFL history back in the 70's.

Pittsburgh Steelers-Jon Kolb, Sam Davis, Ray Mansfield, Mike Webster…circa 1974-80…Webster is in the Hall Of Fame and is considered one of, if not the, best center in NFL history. Webster was named to both the NFL 1970’s & 1980’s All Decade Team. Mansfield was a dominant run blocker while Kolb and Davis were named to multiple Pro Bowl teams. They broke trail for Franco Harris and kept Terry Bradshaw snuggly safe during their epic four Super Bowls in six years run.

http://armchairgm.wikia.com/Article:NFL_History_101...Best_Offensive_Lines_Of_ All-Time

ALLD
05-31-2013, 06:07 PM
Although Bradshaw was not so safe, I do remember him being carried off the field so many times. Then coming back in the second half for the win. Remember the hit he took on the side of the head against the Cowboys and made the completion. He was on out on his ass while the Cowboys were shaking their own heads in disbelief. They went on to lose in historical fashion.

*Mike Webster is considered the greatest center in the history of the NFL. There have been none better before or since.

cold-hard-steel
05-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Sounds like the "Mach V" to me . LOL , had to chime in .

polamalubeast
06-01-2013, 10:52 AM
I hope this o-line stay heathly for the entire season!!!!!!!!!

Count Steeler
06-01-2013, 12:20 PM
I hope this o-line stay heathly for the entire season!!!!!!!!!

Well, 1 down, should be back for the season.

KeiselPower99
06-01-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't like the idea of not having proven backups for a line this young and inexperienced. Gilbert missed last season Adams and DeCastro missed a majority of it. Thats 3 vital components that have missed time. The only veteran tackle on the roster is Guy Whimper. For the life of me I dont understand why they let Max go and didnt let Gilbert and Adams fight for the right side job. Plus if I may RESIGN LEGURSKY!!!!

Craic
06-01-2013, 07:01 PM
I don't like the idea of not having proven backups for a line this young and inexperienced. Gilbert missed last season Adams and DeCastro missed a majority of it. Thats 3 vital components that have missed time. The only veteran tackle on the roster is Guy Whimper. For the life of me I dont understand why they let Max go and didnt let Gilbert and Adams fight for the right side job. Plus if I may RESIGN LEGURSKY!!!!

Money. That, and it's time to go young. Ben is getting older and we want a young line in front of him that will be good and strong, and that he's very familiar with over the next three to six years until he retires. Also, we want a line that's been together for quite a while to bring in a new, young QB and give him time to get used to the game. IMO, this is the exact time to let all the old guys go and strengthen what's been a consistent achilles heal for us since the first SB win for Ben.

cold-hard-steel
06-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Money. That, and it's time to go young. Ben is getting older and we want a young line in front of him that will be good and strong, and that he's very familiar with over the next three to six years until he retires. Also, we want a line that's been together for quite a while to bring in a new, young QB and give him time to get used to the game. IMO, this is the exact time to let all the old guys go and strengthen what's been a consistent achilles heal for us since the first SB win for Ben.

I would not worry about that , by the time Ben retires , it will be flag foootball .