PDA

View Full Version : Steelers salary cap update

polamalubeast
05-29-2013, 03:37 PM
When it comes to the salary cap, the Steelers are pushing it … to say the least.

Less than a week before the Steelers get to play with the $5.5 million worth of cap space made available by the June 1 designation of Willie Colon’s release, the bank account is getting low.

As of May 28, the Steelers are $90,098 underneath the NFL-mandated $123 million salary cap for the 2013 season.

That might sound scarily low, but actually, the Steelers are in pretty good shape for this time of the year.

The Steelers already signed five of the nine draft picks signed with their the big ones still being left unsigned — first- and second-round picks Jarvis Jones and Le’Veon Bell.

After the Steelers ink those two along with Landry Jones and Nick Williams and hold back a million or so dollars like they do every year in case of an emergency, they will have enough money to entertain the thoughts of bringing in a mid-level free agent that very well might be a receiver or an offensive lineman.

Here is how the rest of the AFC North is at in terms of the salary cap:

Cleveland — $31 million

Cincinnati — $20 million

Baltimore — $1.7 million

Here are some notables:

Jacksonville — $26 million

Philadelphia — $22.6 million

San Diego — $145,000

Oakland — $142,000 (will get $8 million with June 1 designation of Michael Huff)

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/05/28/steelers-salary-cap-update/

Spike
05-31-2013, 12:08 PM
I say go after more meat on the OL

GBMelBlount
05-31-2013, 12:09 PM
I say go after more meat on the OL

Exactly what I was thinking.

steelreserve
05-31-2013, 12:44 PM
I'd rather try to get an extension for Allen before his price tag skyrockets and we go through the same thing as with Keenan Lewis.

That failing, last I checked we only had one guy capable of playing NT or C, so bringing in some depth wouldn't be a bad idea. Did we let go of Legursky, or are we just waiting for the cap room to clear up?

86WARD
05-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Other than Sanders and maybe Ryan Clark, there's no player that is a free agent in 2014 that I would go out of my way to extend or possibly even sign long term.