PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher vs. Mike Tomlin: Round One

polamalubeast
05-29-2013, 03:19 PM
I know there’s an old adage to not kick a coach when his team is down, however certain times call for violating such adages. After the lackluster 2012 campaign, I must say right up front I have no faith right now in Mike Tomlin to turn things around in Pittsburgh. Yes, I’ve heard the trash Mike Wallace has been spewing and I’m wondering if I should torch the photo he autographed for me two years ago. Yet Wallace’s venom, coupled with the things Ryan Clark said at the end of last year and into this off season, makes you wonder if there is something very wrong in steel town.
Now I don’t begrudge either Wallace nor Clark the opportunity to voice their opinions, and maybe we longtime fans should just accept this as the 21st century Steelers, unafraid to voice their opinion in public. However, when you begin to add up all the pieces: Wallace’s holdout and generally lazy play last year, Lamar Woodley’s weight and desire, Rashard Mendenhall’s dogging it, the off the field arrests, the public airing of team issues, and an overall sense of apathy on the part of everyone in black and gold, one gets the sense that maybe it’s time for the winds of change to blow through the Pittsburgh Steelers, starting at the top regardless of what happens this season. And by the top I mean the head coach.
First off, I don’t dislike Mike Tomlin, I just don’t think he fits here anymore. Trust me, I’d much rather have him than Rex Ryan, Norv Turner or any of the Oakland Raiders coaches over the last ten years stalking our sidelines, but if that’s the bar I’m holding him to, what does that say? Imagine what an offensive guru like Sean Payton would be like, or a no b.s. guy like Jim Harbaugh instead of Tomlin. Or imagine if Bill Cowher was back on the sidelines for the Steelers. Now that would be a welcome sight.

read more

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/05/28/bill-cowher-vs-mike-tomlin-round-one/

blackngldblood
05-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Even if they come back and make a superbowl run, Mike should get the axe? I personally would rather have Henry Winkler on the sidelines than ever let a Harbaugh touch the homefield side of Hines field wearing a black and gold shirt. Just sayin....

fansince'76
05-29-2013, 03:39 PM
My point is Cowher was a fiery, intense presence on the sidelines and that’s what this team needs right now. As I’ve said before, I don’t see that same type of fire in Tomlin. I don’t think he’s the kind of coach that will spout rousing words and stir his team into action.

You mean "action" like when they finished out of the playoffs 4 times in 6 years (1998-2003) with three of those seasons ending with losing records?

Get back to me when Tomlin posts a losing record, much less 2 in a row or 3 in six seasons.

I’m tired of the excuses regarding Hood that it’s Lebeau’s complex scheme that has stunted Hood’s growth, if the kid was an impact player he would’ve been out there sooner and more often. Polamalu started from day one and Casey Hampton and Lamar Woodley made immediate contributions. Hood? Nothing. If Cowher was here, Hood would not be. Tomlin seems uninterested in getting rid of deadweight and making a statement which the cutting of Hood was signify.

LOL. Please. If Cowher were still here, we'd still be starting Peezy at ROLB and Aaron Smith at DE. If ANYBODY was guilty of favoring "his" guys while letting more effective players rot on the bench, it was Cowher. He started Kordell Stewart for FIVE YEARS at QB, for Christ's sake.

Craic
05-29-2013, 03:53 PM
i only read what was in the OP, didn't even bother going to the site.

I'm always amazed at how short of a memory Steelers fans have.

Pristas
05-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Scott Sinclair, you are so dead wrong. I couldn't even get past the third paragraph. Our defense was not the problem last year, and yes it was great on paper. BUT, it was pretty damn good on the field too. Now if our offense wasn't in the bottom third of the league, and Ben not getting sandwiched, things would have been much different. How many games did we lose by just a single score? We almost took the AFC for crying out loud!!! If it weren't for key injuries we would have taken the playoffs by storm in place of the Ravens. Where is Scott Sinclair from anyway, Cleveland? Numbskull.

I'm done here.

blackngldblood
05-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Scott Sinclair, you are so dead wrong. I couldn't even get past the third paragraph. Our defense was not the problem last year, and yes it was great on paper. BUT, it was pretty damn good on the field too. Now if our offense wasn't in the bottom third of the league, and Ben not getting sandwiched, things would have been much different. How many games did we lose by just a single score? We almost took the AFC for crying out loud!!! If it weren't for key injuries we would have taken the playoffs by storm in place of the Ravens. Where is Scott Sinclair from anyway, Cleveland? Numbskull.

I'm done here.

I tell my friends that know anything about football that you really could see the pendulum swing down in 2011 for the defense when Ol' average Joe drove the field in the fourth quarter and won the game at Heinz field. They lost their mojo, so to speak, and it didn't swing upwards until the Bengals game last season. They finally got their mojo back, and while they didn't get all of it back (turnovers and sacks still lacking) they got back to the defense that we are more used to seeing from this team. I'm not saying that stretch from 2011 until week seven of last year saw an incompetent, crappy defense but they weren't the same. I mean c'mon, the laughing stock quarterback of the NFL torched our asses in the playoffs. I still believe they are on the rise, and will be back to form, full form, at some point this season.

Now, lets get that offense going at some point, and keep it rolling forward.

fansince'76
05-29-2013, 04:11 PM
i only read what was in the OP, didn't even bother going to the site.

I'm always amazed at how short of a memory Steelers fans have.

You can also always tell the newer fans as well. This guy would have flipped shit over Noll's sideline demeanor and Noll could coach circles around both Tomlin and Cowher.

"When you’re out there on that field, the thing that gets you through is the habits that you create. It’s what you do in practice that carries onto the field. All that emotional stuff, the rah rah stuff, doesn't win ball games”. - Rocky Bleier quoting Chuck Noll.

Who does that quote of Noll's sound more like, Tomlin or Cowher? And as someone who lived through every one of them, the "rah rah stuff" was more often than not found wanting in a number of AFCCGs - at home, no less. Four of them, to be exact...

salamander
05-29-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm not even going to touch this one lol.

Count Steeler
05-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Noll, Cowher and Tomlin. Any other organization care to put up their best 3 coaches? In a row?

They are ours, they have their strengths, they have their weaknesses. Each has an SB win in the Black and Gold.

Next!

st33lersguy
05-29-2013, 04:54 PM
I think there is one key difference that has to give the advantage to Cowher. When Cowher took over, the Steelers had turned into a systemically mediocre team that made the playoffs one time in 7 years and Cowher took them to the playoffs his first 6 seasons. Tomlin inherited a team two years removed from a Super Bowl win, has made the playoffs 4 of 6 seasons, with two awful coaching performances those 2 playoff misses

Moose
05-30-2013, 10:09 AM
- - - Updated - - -

In my opinion it's tough to compare, especially with Noll thrown into the mix. I, personally, think you have to look at each situation as it was different times, different rules, and especially different TYPES of player's. As you look at the times, as a player the rules of the game allowed you to do different things at your position. Defense, the QB was your target. Look at your Lambert's, for example, style of play which made a difference in the game. Would Lambert be able to play his style now adays? Look how Harrison's play changed after all of his fines. So many great player's in the year's past. Now you have coaches trying to coach a 'toned' down game, in my opinion. And let's not forget there is a totally different type of player on the field than year's past. It's rare anymore to find the player who is really devoted. Everything is the dollar sign. Again, this is my opinion. Bettis, Ward, Ben to mention a few who were willing to renegotiate contracts is seldom found. Harrison had his chance, but didn't. I know his agent was at fault too, but I don't believe that Harrison couldn't have over rode the decision. So, to stop rambling on, I think that 'father time' played many factors in the types of coaches and teams.

jb500ex
05-30-2013, 08:00 PM
I think there is one key difference that has to give the advantage to Cowher. When Cowher took over, the Steelers had turned into a systemically mediocre team that made the playoffs one time in 7 years and Cowher took them to the playoffs his first 6 seasons. Tomlin inherited a team two years removed from a Super Bowl win, has made the playoffs 4 of 6 seasons, with two awful coaching performances those 2 playoff misses
Don't forget the great coaching job against jax the pack and Tim fucking tebow. Tomlins teams have had 4 huge underachieving seasons In his six years. People can keep riding his jock then in a few years when we end winning only what we've won so far you will all be crying we wasted prime years. Or you could be a sheep and happy with the 1 sb he won with a great team that should have won more. It really comes down to if your the type of guy who goes to work and gets your boss his coffee as he ass fucks you or you're a leader type that controls all your little bitches.

zulater
05-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Don't forget the great coaching job against jax the pack and Tim fucking tebow. Tomlins teams have had 4 huge underachieving seasons In his six years. People can keep riding his jock then in a few years when we end winning only what we've won so far you will all be crying we wasted prime years. Or you could be a sheep and happy with the 1 sb he won with a great team that should have won more. It really comes down to if your the type of guy who goes to work and gets your boss his coffee as he ass fucks you or you're a leader type that controls all your little bitches.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/search.php?searchid=6432

I smell troll in the air. :troll:

fansince'76
05-30-2013, 08:19 PM

http://images.wikia.com/scpcontainmentbreach/images/4/45/Cool-story-bro.jpg