PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico says Antonio Brown is going to be one of the most feared receivers

stillers4me
05-29-2013, 05:36 AM
While bemoaning injuries from the 2012 season, it's easy to forget the Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) were without wide receiver Antonio Brown (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108636/antonio-brown) for three games right at the apex of the season.

Brown went down during the Steelers' eventual Week 9 win over the Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) with the dreaded high ankle sprain, missed three games and returned just as the Steelers season was starting to flatline.

It's fair, if not pointless, to wonder what would have happened if quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1630/ben-roethlisberger) wouldn't have gotten hurt. But what about Brown? ...........

Read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/29/4375378/steelers-wide-receivers-depth-chart-roster-comments

zulater
05-29-2013, 05:47 AM
Brown's injury was the beggining of the end for the Steelers last season. I would even go as far as to say that Brown's injury played a part in Big Ben getting hurt the following game against the Chiefs. Because with no Brown, Ben was having trouble finding open receivers against the Chiefs in the first half and I think the frustration borne of that led to Ben straying from the script and reverting to forcing the issue on a dead play on the first possession of the second half. Which in turn left him vulnerable to the crushing hit that derailed the season for good.

steeldawg
05-29-2013, 05:52 AM
Not knocking brown here but more this article, how would 81 catches for 968 yards make him a feared receiver or poised for a big season which he didntt even reach last year, those where just "what if" stats if he didn't get injured. Also the 60 yard catch was not evidence of him stretching the field it was a blown coverage by pacman jones. Brown first needs to prove he can be a number 1 before we crown him one of the most feared receivers in the league.

fansince'76
05-29-2013, 05:56 AM
Not knocking brown here but more this article, how would 81 catches for 968 yards make him a feared receiver or poised for a big season which he didntt even reach last year, those where just "what if" stats if he didn't get injured. Also the 60 yard catch was not evidence of him stretching the field it was a blown coverage by pacman jones. Brown first needs to prove he can be a number 1 before we crown him one of the most feared receivers in the league.

Yet you think 64/836 was well worth $60 mil...

zulater
05-29-2013, 05:57 AM

Plax gave his opinion on what he believes is Brown's potential. I think he has some credibility on the issue. No?

Of course the season has to play out to prove it one way or the other. But right now I'm enthusiastic about our wide receivers going into the season. My biggest concern is Heath Miller's status, and what impact his potential absense or diminished ability will have on the overall passing game.

zulater
05-29-2013, 06:02 AM

He shoots,:puckjuggle: he scores! :goal:

:lol:

43Hitman
05-29-2013, 06:45 AM
Plax gave his opinion on what he believes is Brown's potential. I think he has some credibility on the issue. No?

Of course the season has to play out to prove it one way or the other. But right now I'm enthusiastic about our wide receivers going into the season. My biggest concern is Heath Miller's status, and what impact his potential absense or diminished ability will have on the overall passing game.

Yeah, Heath Miller is really the X factor on this offense. With him you know you have a solid blocker if need be and one hell of a security blanket in the passing game if the line is doing its job. With Heath in the lineup teams will have to respect him, making it easier for Brown and the rest of the wide-outs.

GBMelBlount
05-29-2013, 07:13 AM

I am enthusiastic as well.

I think Brown and Sanders are very capable of being an above average 1-2 tandem in the nfl....and with an improved line, an upgraded running game and a healthy Ben it could be a productive year for the offense.

Shoes
05-29-2013, 08:06 AM

:chuckle:

GodfatherofSoul
05-29-2013, 01:42 PM
I am enthusiastic as well.

I think Brown and Sanders are very capable of being an above average 1-2 tandem in the nfl....and with an improved line, an upgraded running game and a healthy Ben it could be a productive year for the offense.

I admit I don't ahve an eye for the ball, but I didn't see much from Sanders that impressed me enough rely on him as a #2. I hope you gurus and the organization have an ace up their sleeve.

zulater
05-29-2013, 02:09 PM
I admit I don't ahve an eye for the ball, but I didn't see much from Sanders that impressed me enough rely on him as a #2. I hope you gurus and the organization have an ace up their sleeve.

We do. It's called Markus Wheaton. I expect Wheaton to come in and contribute right away. I also think Burress could surprise some this season. Not saying Burress will be what he was, but maybe he catches 30-40 total, and cashes in 5-6 red zone possessions until Miller is back.

Seven
05-29-2013, 02:14 PM

Give it a rest already!

polamalubeast
05-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Brown was not the same player after his injury...same of course for Roethlisberger

Chidi29
05-29-2013, 02:53 PM
We do. It's called Markus Wheaton. I expect Wheaton to come in and contribute right away. I also think Burress could surprise some this season. Not saying Burress will be what he was, but maybe he catches 30-40 total, and cashes in 5-6 red zone possessions until Miller is back.

I really don't know if Wheaton will make an impact right away. He's already missed the first batch of OTAs and missing on the instillation period of the offseason since he can't be here until he graduates. That's really going to put him behind everyone else. Here's what Rams' second rounder Isaiah Pead said about being in the same situation last year.

“The crazy thing was, I wasn’t even in school at the time,’’ Pead said. “So I was just sitting around.

“I had a playbook, but I couldn’t explain it to myself. I missed all but a week of (offseason practices) last year, so this year, I just feel like I’m that much farther along.’’

Count Steeler
05-29-2013, 04:54 PM

Bu-bu-but he was just a professional, playing down to his paltry salary of 2.7mil. He knew his pay day was going to come by leaving the Steelers. :sarcasm:

GBMelBlount
05-29-2013, 05:25 PM

I think going back to their rookie year Sanders was actually ahead of Brown on the depth chart (maybe due to being drafted higher) and Tomlin had them competing on a weekly basis for the starting spot.

I think it is good to have that type of open competition.

Regardless, I am chalking up their lastluster 2012 to bad chemistry and hoping that adiosing Wallace solves that problem.

steeldawg
05-29-2013, 05:26 PM

No but I think the previous 3 seasons plus the threat he brought to the offense was. Come on people the most feared receiver in the league? Antonio brown?

- - - Updated - - -

Give it a fucking rest already.

give what arrest?

polamalubeast
05-29-2013, 05:33 PM
No but I think the previous 3 seasons plus the threat he brought to the offense was. Come on people the most feared receiver in the league? Antonio brown?

Burress said one of the most,not the most

GBMelBlount
05-29-2013, 05:34 PM

I agree on Wheaton and Burress. I think there is a lot to be optimistic about.

steeldawg
05-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Burress said one of the most,not the most

He wont be even one of the most, hes just not that scary for a defense to gameplan for. Even hines ward for how good he was, was not a receiver that defenses feared.

Psycho Ward 86
05-29-2013, 11:38 PM
brown better become one of the most feared receivers in the league. because god knows sanders probably wont be much help. sure hope he proves me wrong. and heath better be a quick healer and wheaton a quick learner if were going to not be the most underachieving offense in the league for god knows how many years in a row

GBMelBlount
05-30-2013, 06:52 AM
brown better become one of the most feared receivers in the league. because god knows sanders probably wont be much help.

Was there anything exceptionally poor statistically about Sanders with regard to catches vs. targets, drops, etc?

If not I am inclined to believe his 660 yards is simply more a result of being the number 3 receiver.

Also, having a terrible running game probably helped teams scheme the pass better.

As the number 2 receiver and with a likely improved line, an upgrade at running back and a year of the new offense (with tweaks) under our belt, there is no reason for me to believe 1000+ yards isn't likely for Sanders.

Now if Ben goes down or he gets injured then all bets are off. :lol:

Psycho Ward 86
05-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Was there anything exceptionally poor statistically about Sanders with regard to catches vs. targets, drops, etc?

If not I am inclined to believe his 660 yards is simply more a result of being the number 3 receiver.

Also, having a terrible running game probably helped teams scheme the pass better.

As the number 2 receiver and with a likely improved line, an upgrade at running back and a year of the new offense (with tweaks) under our belt, there is no reason for me to believe 1000+ yards isn't likely for Sanders.

Now if Ben goes down or he gets injured then all bets are off. :lol:

he also needs to stay healthy, which he struggled to in his limited playing time. 626 receiving yards is the closest he's ever gotten.

And being a #3 receiver didnt show much other than he simply wasnt nearly as good as even the lowly wallace for each of the past 3 seasons.

Link: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts
2012 Offensive Snaps played:

Wallace: 833
Sanders: 721

Heck, Antonio Brown played less snaps than him due to injury (652 snaps) and still mopped the floor with him statistically across the board. Sanders has been on the field as much if not more than brown and wallace, he just isnt getting the ball because he's not good enough. He's only good enough as a #3 that defenses have to account for. Im a bit concerned that in playing more snaps than ever in his career, sanders only had a touchdown to show for it, and only 2 in each of the past 2 seasons. Brown and Wallace also had to deal with playing with a shitty run game and injury prone O-line. I would have liked to see Sanders manage more than a career high 82 yards receiving since he played so many snaps, especially during such terrible/injury prone/underachieving seasons from wallace and brown.

Having Ben sure eases my worries though

polamalubeast
05-30-2013, 01:17 PM
he also needs to stay healthy, which he struggled to in his limited playing time. 626 receiving yards is the closest he's ever gotten.

And being a #3 receiver didnt show much other than he simply wasnt nearly as good as even the lowly wallace for each of the past 3 seasons.

2012 Offensive Snaps played:

Wallace: 833
Sanders: 721

Heck, Antonio Brown played less snaps than him due to injury (652 snaps) and still mopped the floor with him statistically across the board. Sanders has been on the field as much if not more than brown and wallace, he just isnt getting the ball because he's not good enough. He's only good enough as a #3 that defenses have to account for. Im a bit concerned that in playing more snaps than ever in his career, sanders only had a touchdown to show for it, and only 2 in each of the past 2 seasons. Brown and Wallace also had to deal with playing with a shitty run game and injury prone O-line. I would have liked to see Sanders manage more than a career high 82 yards receiving since he played so many snaps, especially during such terrible/injury prone/underachieving seasons from wallace and brown.

Having Ben sure eases my worries though

Sanders only had 74 targets in 2012(105 for Brown and 119 for Wallace)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/stats/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers

Psycho Ward 86
05-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Sanders only had 74 targets in 2012(105 for Brown and 119 for Wallace)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/stats/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers

yeah, i covered that. imo if he was so good he would have been able to steal a lot more targets away from brown and/or wallace. Especially since he played more snaps than brown and only about 15-16% less snaps than wallace. only reasons for optimism that i see are the fact that sanders has better small-space quickness than wallace so he fits the system better, and he's still young. And of course with Ben, any surrounding cast should work that much better. Still hope sanders proves me wrong. Or Brown hopefully becomes one of the most feared receivers in the league. Or better yet both

86WARD
05-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Miller is more key to this offense than Brown.

Mojouw
05-31-2013, 10:14 AM
How does Sanders compare to other #3 wideouts? I can't find the target #'s readily, but Sanders posted 600 some odd yards on like 40 some catches and Randall Cobb (#3 WR for the Packers) posted only 300 more yards on almost twice as many catches (an even 80). Maybe Sanders isn't that terrible?

Not using stats, but simply a quick glance through the listed WR depth charts, there are not many true #3 WR's out there that I would rather have than Sanders. Sure there are some intriguing rookies listed as #3 and there are several well known players with better stats, but while they may line up in the slot - they are not really a #3 WR (Welker, Amendola, Harvin, etc).

GBMelBlount
05-31-2013, 12:16 PM
How does Sanders compare to other #3 wideouts? I can't find the target #'s readily, but Sanders posted 600 some odd yards on like 40 some catches and Randall Cobb (#3 WR for the Packers) posted only 300 more yards on almost twice as many catches (an even 80). Maybe Sanders isn't that terrible?

Not using stats, but simply a quick glance through the listed WR depth charts, there are not many true #3 WR's out there that I would rather have than Sanders. Sure there are some intriguing rookies listed as #3 and there are several well known players with better stats, but while they may line up in the slot - they are not really a #3 WR (Welker, Amendola, Harvin, etc).

I tend to agree.

I had tried to find something on that too. If you remove the TE's from the equation he was about 60th in receiving yards last year.

With 32 teams and 3 receivers that is about 100 receivers...

So my guess is 660 yards is a little above average for a #3 receiver.

NCSteeler
05-31-2013, 02:42 PM
yeah, i covered that. imo if he was so good he would have been able to steal a lot more targets away from brown and/or wallace. Especially since he played more snaps than brown and only about 15-16% less snaps than wallace. only reasons for optimism that i see are the fact that sanders has better small-space quickness than wallace so he fits the system better, and he's still young. And of course with Ben, any surrounding cast should work that much better. Still hope sanders proves me wrong. Or Brown hopefully becomes one of the most feared receivers in the league. Or better yet both

I'll say this and move along. Ben has never been that QB that throws to 8-9 receivers a game. Being 3rd in our offense is a whole lot different then 3rd in Brady's offense. I have my doubts as to what the front office is doing with WRs and contracts of WRs, on the surface it looks a little disjointed and unplanned, BUT I hope Sanders signs a $60 mil deal next year

Psycho Ward 86
05-31-2013, 04:38 PM
I'll say this and move along. Ben has never been that QB that throws to 8-9 receivers a game. Being 3rd in our offense is a whole lot different then 3rd in Brady's offense. I have my doubts as to what the front office is doing with WRs and contracts of WRs, on the surface it looks a little disjointed and unplanned, BUT I hope Sanders signs a $60 mil deal next year

im confused. could you clarify

Mach1
05-31-2013, 04:56 PM
He wont be even one of the most, hes just not that scary for a defense to gameplan for. Even hines ward for how good he was, was not a receiver that defenses feared.

I'll bet Ed Reed would argue that.

Psycho Ward 86
05-31-2013, 05:46 PM

ONLY 300 more yards and twice as many catches? Are you serious? Thats an awful lot of production that sanders didnt even come close to matching. If were going to compare cobb and sanders, its not even an argument:

Cobb: 631 offensive snaps played, 80 receptions, 954 yards, 8 TD (+1 if you count special teams)
Sanders: 721 offensive snaps played, 44 receptions, 626 yards, 1 TD

In almost 100 less offensive snaps, cobb had about double the receptions 134.4% more yards, and 7 more receiving touchdowns. And thats not even including special teams. Sanders had 27 kick return yards and 93 punt return yards. Cobb had 964 kick return yards and 292 punt return yards with good averages, plus a return touchdown. The packer even line him up in the backfield.

Honestly though, to aid your argument, i dont mind at all that sanders has nothing on cobb because thats setting the bar extremely high. I see you're also a fellow Sconnie, so i guess were both aware of that and all the rave reviews he gets (especially from Rodgers, and Raji who thinks rodgers and cobb are the packers most indispensable players). I dont think sanders is terrible. i think he did a good job as a #3 receiver, i just think he's going to be a subpar starter. i wouldve expected more from him by now after 3 seasons if he were a real dynamo. Especially last season when antonio brown was injured/didnt play as well as he should have and when wallace played terribly and missed a game due to injury as well. Again, hope Sanders proves me wrong.

steeldawg
06-01-2013, 09:50 AM
I'll bet Ed Reed would argue that.

I bet he wouldn't, Ed reed is on of the best safeties to ever play this game and I doubt he would list Antonio brown as a receiver he fears.

NCSteeler
06-01-2013, 10:23 AM
im confused. could you clarify

Which part? Ben tends to focus on his main guys. I'm just as confused with the FO as you are with me. And I hope Sanders has a year good enough to earn 60 mil.

GBMelBlount
06-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Which part? Ben tends to focus on his main guys. I'm just as confused with the FO as you are with me. And I hope Sanders has a year good enough to earn 60 mil.

Preferably AFTER we signed him long term. :lol:

zulater
06-01-2013, 12:11 PM
I bet he wouldn't, Ed reed is on of the best safeties to ever play this game and I doubt he would list Antonio brown as a receiver he fears.

I think he was directing that towards your Hines Ward insertation into your prior post. As if Ward wasn't a receiver opposing defenses "feared".

Which is bunk.

Mojouw
06-01-2013, 12:32 PM
ONLY 300 more yards and twice as many catches? Are you serious? Thats an awful lot of production that sanders didnt even come close to matching. If were going to compare cobb and sanders, its not even an argument:

Cobb: 631 offensive snaps played, 80 receptions, 954 yards, 8 TD (+1 if you count special teams)
Sanders: 721 offensive snaps played, 44 receptions, 626 yards, 1 TD

In almost 100 less offensive snaps, cobb had about double the receptions 134.4% more yards, and 7 more receiving touchdowns. And thats not even including special teams. Sanders had 27 kick return yards and 93 punt return yards. Cobb had 964 kick return yards and 292 punt return yards with good averages, plus a return touchdown. The packer even line him up in the backfield.

Honestly though, to aid your argument, i dont mind at all that sanders has nothing on cobb because thats setting the bar extremely high. I see you're also a fellow Sconnie, so i guess were both aware of that and all the rave reviews he gets (especially from Rodgers, and Raji who thinks rodgers and cobb are the packers most indispensable players). I dont think sanders is terrible. i think he did a good job as a #3 receiver, i just think he's going to be a subpar starter. i wouldve expected more from him by now after 3 seasons if he were a real dynamo. Especially last season when antonio brown was injured/didnt play as well as he should have and when wallace played terribly and missed a game due to injury as well. Again, hope Sanders proves me wrong.

Yeah. I didn't really word that post right. What I was trying to do was think of the best "true" #3 WR I could come up with - set the bar high. I wanted a guy who primarily plays in the slot -as Sanders did last year. I eliminated Welker, Harvin, Amendola, etc because even though they line up inside, they are really the #1 option on their teams (at least last season). Cobb (here the Sconnie perspective comes in) was the best slot guy who isn't the first, second, or even third option on his team's passing attack that I could think of.

Doing that, I should have looked at the snaps, but didn't get around to it yesterday. My point on the yards was if you are going to "only" gain 300 more yards on twice as many catches...maybe Sanders was pretty effective with the work he did get.

The data I would really like to see on Sanders and other comparable WR's is targets, In other words how many snaps was Sanders actually targeted on versus say a Cobb. I suspect Cobb, because of how highly regarded he is by the Packers, was targeted a higher % of those snaps and this may explain the production differences. Additionally, I would like to look at catch rate. I know that Sanders had some high profile fumbles (understatement of the thread), but I seem to remember him as a guy who runs good routes, good technique, and pretty sticky hands.

I think that Sanders can be a pretty good receiver and playmaker. My concern is I can't get past the point that Sanders and Brown essentially do the same things well. They are almost identical in size, and profile as medium sized receivers with slightly above average wheels, that run decent to very good routes, and can be productive after the catch. They are certainly not going to out-physical bigger CB's. Nor will the likely be out jumping a ton of guys. Would really like the Steelers to dig up some size and physicality for the WR corps.

And please...don't mention the rotting corpse of what was once Plaxico Burress. Plus he was the least physical 6'5" 226 lb'er I've ever seen in the NFL.

GBMelBlount
06-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Moi

Mojouw

In other words how many snaps was Sanders actually targeted on versus say a Cobb. I suspect Cobb, because of how highly regarded he is by the Packers, was targeted a higher % of those snaps and this may explain the production differences. Additionally, I would like to look at catch rate.

Exactly.

There are so many other things that can be looked at in addition to yardage to help put Sander's season in better context.

XxKnightxX
06-02-2013, 03:09 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iyy5ZpF-vJc/TfKSwEAw-gI/AAAAAAAAACw/J2cvYWqvYSU/s320/pwned.jpg

bayz101
06-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Steeldawg dislikes Antonio Brown, and loves him some Mike Wallace. Steeldawg doesn't believe a receiver that can only muster 900 yards is a receiver a defense wouldn't be afraid of. Dude simply can't STAND the fact that SOMEONE is recognizing Brown for what he is:

A threat.

Steeldawg believes Mike Wallace's 800+ yards was worth 50 million+ dollars, right? This means Steeldawg is a:

1) Troll
2) Mathematician
3) Homer

There's the poll. I have a feeling which option would be overwhelmingly chosen.

Now, on a serious note, is there a way to block someone AND remove the "This message is hidden because "User" is on your block list" notice? The temptation is simply too much sometimes.

Steel "Not knocking on Brown, but proceeds to knock on Brown" Dawg.

steeldawg
06-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Steeldawg dislikes Antonio Brown, and loves him some Mike Wallace. Steeldawg doesn't believe a receiver that can only muster 900 yards is a receiver a defense wouldn't be afraid of. Dude simply can't STAND the fact that SOMEONE is recognizing Brown for what he is:

A threat.

Steeldawg believes Mike Wallace's 800+ yards was worth 50 million+ dollars, right? This means Steeldawg is a:

1) Troll
2) Mathematician
3) Homer

There's the poll. I have a feeling which option would be overwhelmingly chosen.

Now, on a serious note, is there a way to block someone AND remove the "This message is hidden because "User" is on your block list" notice? The temptation is simply too much sometimes.

Steel "Not knocking on Brown, but proceeds to knock on Brown" Dawg.

I will dismiss the rest of your insults but no I didn't knock brown I simply stated that he is no where near a feared receiver in this league. Wallace who you love to knock however was a huge threat that's why he got paid like a huge threat. Anotonio brown is a decent receiver but he doesn't scare defenses if you want to believe that defensive backs are shaking in their boots when AB comes to town then go right ahead but I seriously doubt that's the case.

bayz101
06-02-2013, 09:10 PM
I will dismiss the rest of your insults but no I didn't knock brown I simply stated that he is no where near a feared receiver in this league. Wallace who you love to knock however was a huge threat that's why he got paid like a huge threat. Anotonio brown is a decent receiver but he doesn't scare defenses if you want to believe that defensive backs are shaking in their boots when AB comes to town then go right ahead but I seriously doubt that's the case.

900+ yards doesn't make a receiver a threat.
800+ yards makes a receiver worth over 50 million dollars.

I totally understand now. Sorry I ever doubted your perfect logic.

steeldawg
06-02-2013, 09:45 PM
900+ yards doesn't make a receiver a threat.
800+ yards makes a receiver worth over 50 million dollars.

I totally understand now. Sorry I ever doubted your perfect logic.

My logic? you completely disregard that wallaces first 3 season where the top 3 seasons for an nfl wideout besides jerry rice and randy moss, also you completely disregard the threat Wallace brings to the field, even when hes not catching passes hes affecting the defense. In 2010, Wallace had a standout second season with the Steelers, establishing himself as one of the NFL's elite wideouts with 1,257 yards receiving (third most in the AFC) and 10 touchdowns. Wallace led the NFL with seven 100-yard receiving games.
“Joe Greene Great Performance Award”, which is awarded each season to the outstanding Steelers rookie.
Wallace finished his rookie season leading the entire league in average yards per reception with 19.4 yards
Wallace averaged 21.0 yards per catch in 2010, the most of any AFC receiver.[11] Wallace just missed becoming the third receiver in NFL history to lead the league in yardage per reception in his first two seasons after leading with 19.4 as a rookie. DeSean Jackson of Philadelphia averaged 22.5 yards per catch in 2010.

On December 27, 2011 Wallace was selected to his first ever Pro Bowl for the AFC.[1] Wallace finished the season with 8 touchdown receptions, 1,193 receiving yards and 72 receptions for an average total of 16.6 yards per catch.

This coupled with the threat Wallace brings to the table is why he got his contract, Obviously other nfl teams share my same logic

bayz101
06-02-2013, 09:57 PM
My logic? you completely disregard that wallaces first 3 season where the top 3 seasons for an nfl wideout besides jerry rice and randy moss, also you completely disregard the threat Wallace brings to the field, even when hes not catching passes hes affecting the defense. In 2010, Wallace had a standout second season with the Steelers, establishing himself as one of the NFL's elite wideouts with 1,257 yards receiving (third most in the AFC) and 10 touchdowns. Wallace led the NFL with seven 100-yard receiving games.
“Joe Greene Great Performance Award”, which is awarded each season to the outstanding Steelers rookie.
Wallace finished his rookie season leading the entire league in average yards per reception with 19.4 yards
Wallace averaged 21.0 yards per catch in 2010, the most of any AFC receiver.[11] Wallace just missed becoming the third receiver in NFL history to lead the league in yardage per reception in his first two seasons after leading with 19.4 as a rookie. DeSean Jackson of Philadelphia averaged 22.5 yards per catch in 2010.

On December 27, 2011 Wallace was selected to his first ever Pro Bowl for the AFC.[1] Wallace finished the season with 8 touchdown receptions, 1,193 receiving yards and 72 receptions for an average total of 16.6 yards per catch.

This coupled with the threat Wallace brings to the table is why he got his contract, Obviously other nfl teams share my same logic

What was last year? 2010? 2011?

No. Wallace got paid coming off a year in which ANTONIO BROWN was beating him statistically until injury, and STILL nearly beat him statistically at years end after missing games. All i'm saying is you're not giving Brown the recognition he deserves. He's as much as a threat as Wallace.

Psycho Ward 86
06-03-2013, 12:50 AM
LOL, talk about beating a dead horse. Might as well beat it further. All of our receivers sucked or underwhelmed last year. Sanders did fine as a #3 even though he found a way to help us lose to the browns and almost lose to the ravens the 2nd time around. Other than that, Heath and Ben were the only thing offensively keeping us just a touch above laughable last season.

bayz101: Interesting, you say brown was beating him statistically until injury, what statistics were you talking about? The 3 cute catches?

Wallace: 525 yards, 39 catches, 5 td, 13.46 YPC, 1 fumble

Brown: 499 yards, catches, 42 catches, 1 td, 11.88 YPC, 2 fumbles

Few twist the facts conveniently to the advantage of current steeler teams the way steeler fans do, dont they? Ironically, your disdain for wallace and positive bias for brown seems to be blinding your judgement as well. You pimp Brown pretty damn hard over a small body of work and bash Wallace over a fraction of his large body of work. Convenient to be picky about the parts that make your "golden boy" (or so some were calling him during the season) look good and make the other guy look bad. One of many examples: When people pretend Wallace has had bad hands since the beginning of time when in reality his drop rate has only been 2.9% his entire career until last season. Even then, Wallace dropped 2 balls in his 15 games aside from the 1st bengals game and 4 in just that game alone according to washington post and stats inc. Wallace was loved his rookie year for being a great deep threat and rare impact rookie. The next season he was loved for being arguably the best deep threat in the league. The following season he was loved for becoming a more well rounded receiver with a pro bowl under his belt. And now he's rightfully despised and rightfully so. Brown does no more than make 2 key catches his rookie season and have one more good additional year and people act like he's been doing everything wallace has been doing [and more] for years.

Moving on...

Conclusion?
1) The running game was terribad
2) Mendenhall can suck it
3) The offensive line was as unhealthy as it always is
4) Ben was choking harder than Tony Romo after his injury
5) Sanders played like a #3
6) Brown was a pain because of his reoccurring "1st Down" Pointing, his showboating kick returns, and fumblitis
7) Wallace was by far THE clown of the year due to a million reasons ranging from shitty production in a contract year to sitting out to bitching out the offense and making excuses

Hell, for all the hype about how "awesome" our offense was before Ben got injured, we only scored 20.7 points/game, a whole .4 higher than the season before :lol:. Point being, everyone on offense was a culprit at some point or the entire damn season.

Except for Heath.

steeldawg
06-03-2013, 05:48 AM
LOL, talk about beating a dead horse. Might as well beat it further. All of our receivers sucked or underwhelmed last year. Sanders did fine as a #3 even though he found a way to help us lose to the browns and almost lose to the ravens the 2nd time around. Other than that, Heath and Ben were the only thing offensively keeping us just a touch above laughable last season.

bayz101: Interesting, you say brown was beating him statistically until injury, what statistics were you talking about? The 3 cute catches?

Wallace: 525 yards, 39 catches, 5 td, 13.46 YPC, 1 fumble

Brown: 499 yards, catches, 42 catches, 1 td, 11.88 YPC, 2 fumbles

Few twist the facts conveniently to the advantage of current steeler teams the way steeler fans do, dont they? Ironically, your disdain for wallace and positive bias for brown seems to be blinding your judgement as well. You pimp Brown pretty damn hard over a small body of work and bash Wallace over a fraction of his large body of work. Convenient to be picky about the parts that make your "golden boy" (or so some were calling him during the season) look good and make the other guy look bad. One of many examples: When people pretend Wallace has had bad hands since the beginning of time when in reality his drop rate has only been 2.9% his entire career until last season. Even then, Wallace dropped 2 balls in his 15 games aside from the 1st bengals game and 4 in just that game alone according to washington post and stats inc. Wallace was loved his rookie year for being a great deep threat and rare impact rookie. The next season he was loved for being arguably the best deep threat in the league. The following season he was loved for becoming a more well rounded receiver with a pro bowl under his belt. And now he's rightfully despised and rightfully so. Brown does no more than make 2 key catches his rookie season and have one more good additional year and people act like he's been doing everything wallace has been doing [and more] for years.

Moving on...

Conclusion?
1) The running game was terribad
2) Mendenhall can suck it
3) The offensive line was as unhealthy as it always is
4) Ben was choking harder than Tony Romo after his injury
5) Sanders played like a #3
6) Brown was a pain because of his reoccurring "1st Down" Pointing, his showboating kick returns, and fumblitis
7) Wallace was by far THE clown of the year due to a million reasons ranging from shitty production in a contract year to sitting out to bitching out the offense and making excuses

Hell, for all the hype about how "awesome" our offense was before Ben got injured, we only scored 20.7 points/game, a whole .4 higher than the season before :lol:. Point being, everyone on offense was a culprit at some point or the entire damn season.

Except for Heath.

This is a good post, I don't know why every time I talk about brown someone has to bring up Wallace. Do I think Wallace is better than brown and a bigger threat than brown, absolutely. Antonio Brown like I said is a decent receiver but he is no where near being one of the most feared wideouts in the game not even close, the whole assertion is ridiculous.

zulater
06-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Personally I think Antonio Brown was in the proccess of proving he was better than Mike Wallace before he got his high ankle sprain. I also think he showed us he could be a dangerous deep threat in the last two games of the season when he caught a couple of deep balls from Ben in stride . Which was a rare occurance between Ben and Wallace, even in Wallace's better years.

Make you a bet Dawg, Antonio Brown will have a more productive season this year than Mike wallace ever had as a Steeler. We can make it an avater or signature bet.

We on?

zulater
06-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Mike Wallace's career highs' as a Steeler.
catches 72 (2011) , yards 1,257 (2010) td's 10 (2010) if Brown can exceed at least two of these three then I win. If not you win.

By the way in 2011 despite only starting 3 games Antonio Brown caught 69 passes for 1,109 yards. Also after recovering from his ankle sprain last season Brown came back and caught touchdowns in each of the last 4 games.

If Antonio doesn't get injured this season this is easy money. He's a better all around receiver than wallace ever thought of being.

Dwinsgames
06-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Obviously other nfl teams share my same logic

Miami ......

who else ??

not sure I would consider Miami sharing your logic is a bolster to your argument , more like a detriment IMO considering they have not been known to make sound decisions in the recent past ...

cold-hard-steel
06-03-2013, 10:43 AM
You guys are awesome man .I love to read the heated discussions . I would like to argue who the better route runner is .My dough would have to go on Brown in that case ............. but he should never carry a gun .

Psycho Ward 86
06-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Personally I think Antonio Brown was in the proccess of proving he was better than Mike Wallace before he got his high ankle sprain. I also think he showed us he could be a dangerous deep threat in the last two games of the season when he caught a couple of deep balls from Ben in stride . Which was a rare occurance between Ben and Wallace, even in Wallace's better years.

Yeah because Wallace got underthrown...And what do you consider a deep ball? Brown caught 2 passes for over 34 yards all season, and only one of them was in the last 2 games. Brown's good enough to keep defenses honest downfield, just not a dynamic deep threat. Probably all we need with Haley's offense anyways. Plus we got Wheaton, who will hopefully pan out so we can throw to sanders as little as possible lol. I sure hope the offense gets some kind of significant stroke of luck to help this offense get to that next tier because sanders and the health of the O-line are probably the biggest things that could hold us back

zulater
06-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Yeah because Wallace got underthrown...And what do you consider a deep ball? Brown caught 2 passes for over 34 yards all season, and only one of them was in the last 2 games. Brown's good enough to keep defenses honest downfield, just not a dynamic deep threat. Probably all we need with Haley's offense anyways. Plus we got Wheaton, who will hopefully pan out so we can throw to sanders as little as possible lol. I sure hope the offense gets some kind of significant stroke of luck to help this offense get to that next tier because sanders and the health of the O-line are probably the biggest things that could hold us back

You forgot the pass that Brown caught that was nullified by a penalty against the Browns. 50 yards in the air caught in stride. I know it doesn't count, but that play wasn't in any way aided by the penalty that nullified it. So in essense to me that play demonstrated for a second consecutive week at the end of the season that Brown has the ability to get behind the defense.

You want in on the bet? It's just a signature or avater bet, no harm to anyone.

Barring injury Antonio Brown will have a better season in 2013 than Mike Wallace ever had as a Steeler.

I'll take Dawg and one more person on this bet. You got first refusal PW.

zulater
06-03-2013, 12:13 PM
1st and 10 at PIT 17 B.Roethlisberger pass deep right to A.Brown to CLV 40 for 43 yards (T.Gipson). PENALTY on PIT-D.Legursky, Offensive Holding, 8 yards, enforced at PIT 17 - No Play.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=321230023

Here it is, wasn't 50 yards, was only 43, but it was still a nice pitch and catch and helped demonstrate that Antonio can run a nice deep pattern when asked to.

polamalubeast
06-03-2013, 12:16 PM
1st and 10 at PIT 17 B.Roethlisberger pass deep right to A.Brown to CLV 40 for 43 yards (T.Gipson). PENALTY on PIT-D.Legursky, Offensive Holding, 8 yards, enforced at PIT 17 - No Play.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=321230023

Here it is, wasn't 50 yards, was only 43, but it was still a nice pitch and catch and helped demonstrate that Antonio can run a nice deep pattern when asked to.

Another costly penalty of the offensive line

I hope this problem will stop in 2013!

zulater
06-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Another costly penalty of the offensive line

I hope this problem will stop in 2013!

Looks pretty certain that Legurskey wont be doing that to us anymore anyway. :lol:

cold-hard-steel
06-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Guess we all have to have the faith thing going on . I never will forget the look on his face when he missed the pass that very well could have won us a game . I actually felt sorrow for him . I think Brown will be fine . Kids rebound pretty fast . Just the fact he missed a chance to help his team , when he was counted on should do the trick . I'm lookin for some outstanding production from him this season .

Psycho Ward 86
06-03-2013, 12:41 PM
You forgot the pass that Brown caught that was nullified by a penalty against the Browns. 50 yards in the air caught in stride. I know it doesn't count, but that play wasn't in any way aided by the penalty that nullified it. So in essense to me that play demonstrated for a second consecutive week at the end of the season that Brown has the ability to get behind the defense.

You want in on the bet? It's just a signature or avater bet, no harm to anyone.

Barring injury Antonio Brown will have a better season in 2013 than Mike Wallace ever had as a Steeler.

I'll take Dawg and one more person on this bet. You got first refusal PW.

you know youre scraping the barrel when youre trying to count long nullified passes as an impressive display of being a dynamic deep threat. Oh the brown homerism and wallace homerism in this thread. And no, why would i take that bet if i think brown is going to have a better year? You seem eager to assume that anyone that has anything but high worship for Brown is extremely high on Wallace.

zulater
06-03-2013, 12:57 PM
you know youre scraping the barrel when youre trying to count long nullified passes as an impressive display of being a dynamic deep threat. Oh the brown homerism and wallace homerism in this thread. And no, why would i take that bet if i think brown is going to have a better year? You seem eager to assume that anyone that has anything but high worship for Brown is extremely high on Wallace.

How am I scraping the barrell? It actually happened. The last two games of the season Antonio got behind the defense and made a catch for a significant gain. Once he was mostly recovered from the high ankle sprain I think the evidence shows that his role in the offense was starting to evolve. Also evident of this is that Brown goes into this season with a 4 game streak of catching a touchdown pass. \
\
Sorry I'm not going to be doom and gloom over our receivers. I think we go into the season in pretty good shape at that position.

I do have concerns about the team. But wr isn't one of them. I think we'll have a productive crew this season.

Psycho Ward 86
06-03-2013, 01:41 PM
How am I scraping the barrell? It actually happened. The last two games of the season Antonio got behind the defense and made a catch for a significant gain. Once he was mostly recovered from the high ankle sprain I think the evidence shows that his role in the offense was starting to evolve. Also evident of this is that Brown goes into this season with a 4 game streak of catching a touchdown pass. \
\
Sorry I'm not going to be doom and gloom over our receivers. I think we go into the season in pretty good shape at that position.

I do have concerns about the team. But wr isn't one of them. I think we'll have a productive crew this season.

Youre scraping the barrel because drawing yellow flags isnt a quality you actually go out and LOOK FOR in a receiver.

And lolwut, i just dont think Sanders is a starting receiver

zulater
06-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Youre scraping the barrel because drawing yellow flags isnt a quality you actually go out and LOOK FOR in a receiver.

And lolwut, i just dont think Sanders is a starting receiver

The point is Brown got behind the defense and caught a long gainer the last two weeks of the season. I think that is the beggining of a trend. Not saying Brown is ever going to challenge the 20 yards per catch average Wallace put up early in his career, just saying we got guys who can stretch the defense. If a team wants to try to take away everything underneath and ignore the possibility of a long pass they'll do so at their own peril. Imo.

As far as Sanders goes. I like him. I can't say for sure what he'll do this year so I respect those that doubt him.

Just one of those wait and see things.

cold-hard-steel
06-03-2013, 01:57 PM
I hope the front office and all the scouts got this thing right . I have to agree with Zu though , my concerns were questioning the composition of the entire team . They just didn't seem to all be on the same page . I don't even want to question the motivation factors . But then again , who knows .

zulater
06-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Maybe I'm interpreting this thread wrong? To me this thread is more or less a forum on whether or not Antonio Brown can step into the role of the number one receiver on the team? That he finished up the season on a 4 game touchdown streak and got behind the defense and caught balls for signicant gains the last two weeks of last year are strong indications to me that he can be.

That's all I'm saying.

Dwinsgames
06-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Maybe I'm interpreting this thread wrong? .

doubt it .....

some folks just like to stir the pot more than others and try and get you to go out on the limb more than you are perhaps willing to go at times and since they know you are one to never back down from a challenge of proving your point ( or at the very least making a solid effort to do so ) you then become easy prey for them to bait ....

just an observation

Psycho Ward 86
06-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Brown did not get behind defenses last season. Id like to see the circus catches, dynamic yards after catch, and combatative ball skills from his 2nd season. Except way more.

zulater
06-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Brown did not get behind defenses last season. Id like to see the circus catches, dynamic yards after catch, and combatative ball skills from his 2nd season. Except way more.

Uh yeah he did. 60 yarder, 43 yarder last two games of the season. How's that not getting behind the defense?

Psycho Ward 86
06-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Uh yeah he did. 60 yarder, 43 yarder last two games of the season. How's that not getting behind the defense?

Uh, no he didnt.

Interesting, please find me proof that Brown logged a 43 yard catch anywhere on the planet in the last 2 games. The fact is he only had 2 completed catches of over 34 yards the entire season. Thats not getting behind the defense. Unless you want to keep pretending flagged plays count. Its really simple. Maybe youve psyched yourself into giving Brown credit for the big plays he's been making in the preseason the past 2 years. Ill give you a freebie if it makes you feel better. Antonio Brown had a whopping 3 receptions over 34 yards last season. Hooray.

Youre so caught up in your relentless love for brown that you dont realize he was underwhelming just like everybody on offense other than Heath. Maybe youre starting to realize he doesnt have a big body of work yet so you have to nitpick to make it look like he has phantom qualities (being a deep threat) that have only been displayed (kinda) 2 years ago.

Brown ranks tied at 47th in the NFL in receptions of 20+ yards. There were 55 players in the NFL that caught the same or more balls for 20+ yards than Antonio Brown. 45 wide receivers and 8 tight ends. He barely makes the list of top 10 big play tight ends if he was one. Even Heath Miller had more 20+ yard receptions than Brown. Next thing you know, youre going to be telling people Heath Miller is a deep threat. Please. Even if Antonio Brown played all 16 games he was on pace for 13 receptions of 20+ yards (And thats while generously rounding up from 12.73). That still ranks him 24th in the league. Thankfully however Brown is young, improving, and seems to have the work ethic to do it eventually on a consistent basis.

Link:http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingBigPlays/qualified/false/count/41

zulater
06-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Uh, no he didnt.

Interesting, please find me proof that Brown logged a 43 yard catch anywhere on the planet in the last 2 games. The fact is he only had 2 completed catches of over 34 yards the entire season. Thats not getting behind the defense. Unless you want to keep pretending flagged plays count. Its really simple. Maybe youve psyched yourself into giving Brown credit for the big plays he's been making in the preseason the past 2 years. Ill give you a freebie if it makes you feel better. Antonio Brown had a whopping 3 receptions over 34 yards last season. Hooray.

Youre so caught up in your relentless love for brown that you dont realize he was underwhelming just like everybody on offense other than Heath. Maybe youre starting to realize he doesnt have a big body of work yet so you have to nitpick to make it look like he has phantom qualities (being a deep threat) that have only been displayed (kinda) 2 years ago.

Brown ranks tied at 47th in the NFL in receptions of 20+ yards. There were 55 players in the NFL that caught the same or more balls for 20+ yards than Antonio Brown. 45 wide receivers and 8 tight ends. Even Heath Miller had more 20+ yard receptions than Brown. Next thing youre going to be telling me Heath Miller is a deep threat. Please. Even if Antonio Brown played all 16 games he was on pace for 13 receptions of 20+ yards (And thats while generously rounding up from 12.73). That still ranks him 24th in the league. Thankfully however Brown is young, improving, and seems to have the work ethic to do it eventually on a consistent basis.

Link:http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingBigPlays/qualified/false/count/41

I already supplied it. Just because it was nullified by a penalty that in no way influenced the play doesn't mean it didn't happen. When Ben threw the ball, when the defense was covering the play and when Antonio caught the ball there wasn't a soul that didn't think the play didn't matter. No one pulled up, he beat the defense and made the catch. \
\
\He is capable of being the Steelers number one receiver. That's the only case I care to make. And he beat the defense on that play and made that catch which helps support that premise.

You want to be a douche and pretend it never happened, go for it. Not a a shock coming from you.

Again I think Antonio will have an excellent season, which is what this thread is about. So that play has validity in the discussion to the non douche bags among us.

zulater
06-03-2013, 06:02 PM
As far as Antonio Brown is concerned. I like him. Call me a fan if you want. But I'm not overboard about him. I want him to succeed because he's a Steeler. That he was a 6th round draft choice and is locked up for the next few years, yeah that plays into it too.

But regardless I think objectively speaking you can make a case that Plaxico is right in the potential he sees in Brown. I think he's an impact player who will play a significant role in a resurgent Steelers offense in 2013.

zulater
11-12-2013, 08:12 AM

http://www.susieandotto.com/footinmouth.jpg

zulater
11-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Uh, no he didnt.

Brown ranks tied at 47th in the NFL in receptions of 20+ yards. There were 55 players in the NFL that caught the same or more balls for 20+ yards than Antonio Brown. 45 wide receivers and 8 tight ends. He barely makes the list of top 10 big play tight ends if he was one. Even Heath Miller had more 20+ yard receptions than Brown. Next thing you know, youre going to be telling people Heath Miller is a deep threat. Please. Even if Antonio Brown played all 16 games he was on pace for 13 receptions of 20+ yards (And thats while generously rounding up from 12.73). That still ranks him 24th in the league. Thankfully however Brown is young, improving, and seems to have the work ethic to do it eventually on a consistent basis.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingBigPlays

He's currently 5th in that category.

Looks as if your concerns were unfounded. He can get behind the defense.

I understand this team is 3-6, but wr isn't one of the problems. Our top 3 are just fine thank you, even Sanders. Not saying they're great, yes they'll drop a ball now and again, run a wrong pattern etc... (who in the league doesn't?) But overall their collective production is well "above the line." And I get that they're production is being padded by the lack of a running game, but it's also hurt by the same as in the lack of play action opportunity. So what they gain in paasing plays they lose in explosive play opportunities.

If we had a better line I think we'd see these guys are really pretty damn good.

zulater
11-12-2013, 09:25 AM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2013&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&d-447263-s=PASSING_20PLUS_YARDS_EACH

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2012&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=0&qualified=false&Submit=Go

A little more evidence that shows Wallace isn't missed. Ben's already equaled the number of 20+ yard pass plays from last year. And only one less 40+ yard play than all of last season.

Psycho Ward 86
11-12-2013, 03:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingBigPlays

He's currently 5th in that category.

Looks as if your concerns were unfounded. He can get behind the defense.

I understand this team is 3-6, but wr isn't one of the problems. Our top 3 are just fine thank you, even Sanders.

Yeah definitely. Im happy to see antonio brown finally finding a way to be a decent deep threat on a consistent basis. But a big hell no to sanders. he's on pace for about 70 catches and 900 yards and 4 td's, but he has been an inconsistent dropsy-daisy mess. Still looks like a #3 receiver.

Although we do have to wonder if some of the big plays are due to us being forced to play catch up since we have been down bigtime in most of our games this season:

2-16 against the titans
3-24 against the bears
17-34 against the vikings
3-21 against the raiders
and pretty much the whole new england game

i certainly hope not, because he has been a pleasant surprise

We need wheaton to step up big time for next season, and show something this season as well. As a starter. I hope cotchery's current production doesnt supply false hope to the countless steeler fans on this board that believe 30-something year olds can play and be productive for a decade (and then furthermore believe "Oh yeah, we are sooo set at this position"). See--> Ike Taylor, See--> Brett Keisel, See--> Ryan Clark, See--> James Harrison, See--> James Farrior, See--> Aaron Smith, See--> Larry Foote

bayz101
11-12-2013, 04:50 PM
http://www.susieandotto.com/footinmouth.jpg

Bet Mr. Mike Wallace cheerleader is loving his studs production this year!

steelreserve
11-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Another fun fact if nobody noticed it already: Wallace's YPC has gone down in each of the last three seasons. This season, he's 1.2 yards above the career yards per catch of Wes Welker, the ultimate dink-and-dunk machine. Way to stretch the field, indeed.

Count Steeler
11-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Bet Mr. Mike Wallace cheerleader is loving his studs production this year!

If steeldawg would reply:

1. Tannehill isn't getting him the ball.

2. Wallace is running the routes and getting open.

3. Wallace is opening the field up for the other receivers.

4. The sun always gets in his eyes when he drops passes.

5. Good thing I live in South Florida where I can watch and appreciate the greatest deep threat of all time.

tube517
11-12-2013, 06:02 PM
He has been wide open for the entire season. Tannehill overthrows him all the time. :chuckle:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

pepsyman1
11-13-2013, 01:26 AM
He has been wide open for the entire season. Tannehill overthrows him all the time. :chuckle:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Don't you remember? You CAN'T overthrow Wallace, Ben said so. Lol

bayz101
11-13-2013, 02:19 AM

5. Good thing I live in South Florida where I can watch and appreciate the greatest deep threat of all time.

He'll be quiet until Wallace has another 100 yard game, and then disappear for the following 3 lackluster games.

Seven
11-13-2013, 09:45 PM

But can he jump? :chuckle:

NCSteeler
11-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Yeah definitely. Im happy to see antonio brown finally finding a way to be a decent deep threat on a consistent basis. But a big hell no to sanders. he's on pace for about 70 catches and 900 yards and 4 td's, but he has been an inconsistent dropsy-daisy mess. Still looks like a #3 receiver.

Although we do have to wonder if some of the big plays are due to us being forced to play catch up since we have been down bigtime in most of our games this season:

2-16 against the titans
3-24 against the bears
17-34 against the vikings
3-21 against the raiders
and pretty much the whole new england game

i certainly hope not, because he has been a pleasant surprise

We need wheaton to step up big time for next season, and show something this season as well. As a starter. I hope cotchery's current production doesnt supply false hope to the countless steeler fans on this board that believe 30-something year olds can play and be productive for a decade (and then furthermore believe "Oh yeah, we are sooo set at this position"). See--> Ike Taylor, See--> Brett Keisel, See--> Ryan Clark, See--> James Harrison, See--> James Farrior, See--> Aaron Smith, See--> Larry Foote

I wanted them to take the pick for Sanders to New England. Sanders has not impressed me either. Only thing I'll add about Cotchery is that he is low mileage compared to the defensive players to listed. I would love to see wheaton starting over Sanders this week, with Moye getting a lot of snaps too, time to find out what we have and what we need going into the off season.

Psycho Ward 86
11-14-2013, 08:30 PM
I wanted them to take the pick for Sanders to New England. Sanders has not impressed me either. Only thing I'll add about Cotchery is that he is low mileage compared to the defensive players to listed. I would love to see wheaton starting over Sanders this week, with Moye getting a lot of snaps too, time to find out what we have and what we need going into the off season.

haha yeah, if i had the hindsight of knowing we wouldve sucked this much this season i would have gladly taken the trade as well. i was under the impression we would be a contender this year. Guess not. i never liked sanders as a potential starter but just didnt see anything close to as decent behind him. At least cotchery is stepping up.
But he's 31. how long do you expect him to be productive?

Seven
11-14-2013, 09:28 PM

You're oversimplifying the age factor. No one is expecting 30+ players to be productive for a "decade." Expecting cornerbacks and receivers to play a role into their mid 30's isn't unreasonable. The more physical positions, I agree with you on.

But you praised Baltimore's offseason moves. And every single free agent they signed before September was over 30 years old, so you're point is contradictory, no offense.

EDIT:

Brandon Stokley, signed August 10, 37 years old.

Vontae Leach, re-signed July 29, 32 years old.

Dallas Clark, signed August 13, 34 years old.

Chris Canty, signed March 23, 31 years old.

Elvis Dumervil, signed March 24, 29 years old (sorry, I thought Dumervil was 30, but still, he signed a 5 year deal).

Daryl Smith, signed June 5, 31 years old.

Michael Huff, signed March 27, 30 years old (he was cut in October).

steelreserve
11-15-2013, 02:22 AM
haha yeah, if i had the hindsight of knowing we wouldve sucked this much this season i would have gladly taken the trade as well. i was under the impression we would be a contender this year. Guess not. i never liked sanders as a potential starter but just didnt see anything close to as decent behind him. At least cotchery is stepping up.
But he's 31. how long do you expect him to be productive?

They can be plenty productive if they're doing what Cotchery does, which is basically play it safe and be in the right place at the right time. Not that I think there's a hell of a lot of game-changing value in that; it's basically taking what's there when people are expecting a different play or focusing their attention elsewhere. You get one receiver like that per team if you want to still be effective. But if he's the best on the team at that role, the kind of "Hines Ward in his last couple of years before the really bad one at the end," then he could be this productive for 3 or 4 more years still. He's a background guy though, not the answer to any of our problems.

Seven
11-15-2013, 02:33 AM
You're oversimplifying the age factor. No one is expecting 30+ players to be productive for a "decade." Expecting cornerbacks and receivers to play a role into their mid 30's isn't unreasonable. The more physical positions, I agree with you on.

But you praised Baltimore's offseason moves. And every single free agent they signed before September was over 30 years old, so you're point is contradictory, no offense.

EDIT:

Elvis Dumervil, signed March 24, 29 years old (sorry, I thought Dumervil was 30, but still, he signed a 5 year deal).

Forgot Marcus Spears, signed March 15, 30 years old. He was cut in October, too.

Psycho Ward 86
11-15-2013, 02:48 AM

EDIT:

yeah i thought those guys were better than they truly were. Big overestimation on my part. Especially daryl smith, michael huff, dallas clark, and chris canty.

Seven
11-15-2013, 03:03 AM
yeah i thought those guys were better than they truly were. Big overestimation on my part. Especially daryl smith, michael huff, dallas clark, and chris canty.

You're not wrong though, we've certainly made our share of mistakes in keeping some guys on board too long, Larry Foote is the most glaring example to me at present. But at least the old, slow and expensive guys we have to deal with were already on our team. At least we didn't go out and sign a dozen of them like the Ravens did :chuckle:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad we have a 25 year old receiver in Brown who is turning into what Plaxico predicted. He's definitely a bright spot on the roster. Just wish Sanders was a little more dynamic. I expected him to be, he has the talent, he just seems to lack something - I guess I'd have to call it focus. I agree that we need Wheaton to show something, or Moye. I have more faith in Cotchery going forward than you do, but with Sanders I'm not sure what happens there.

86WARD
11-15-2013, 07:59 AM
He won't be feared while Ben is tossing passes to Larry Fitzgerald in Arizona and Brown's catching (or trying to catch) passes from a Mark Sanchez-esque QB...

Seven
11-15-2013, 09:24 PM
He won't be feared while Ben is tossing passes to Larry Fitzgerald in Arizona and Brown's catching (or trying to catch) passes from a Mark Sanchez-esque QB...

Like how Mike Wallace isn't feared now?

tube517
11-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Like how Mike Wallace isn't feared now?

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but Ryan Tannehill is going to break Dan Marino's records. :rolleyes: