PDA

View Full Version : Cortez Allen steps quietly into starting job at corner for Steelers

stillers4me
05-28-2013, 07:01 PM
It became tradition after the first week of spring drills for the Steelers' new starting cornerback to make bold predictions about himself, to forecast a Pro Bowl and great feats right away.

Keenan Lewis began that practice one year ago. Cortez Allen ended it today.

"I'm not that type to make predictions or boast about myself," Allen said as the Steelers resumed practices today with their fourth of the spring. "I'm a very humble guy. I just come to work every day and try to get better and better so I can help my team the best I can."

He plays a better game than he talks. That means he won't have to try to back up the kind of bravado his predecessor issued precisely at the same time a year ago, after just three spring practices as the Steelers' new starting cornerback paired with Ike Taylor.

"Pro Bowl," Lewis predicted for himself a year ago. "Watch out, this is going to be a big year right here."
Lewis did not make the Pro Bowl, but, in the overall scheme of things, after a slow start, he had a very good season as the Steelers' new left cornerback. It was good enough for New Orleans to sign him to a five-year contract worth $26 million.

Somehow it was not good enough for the Steelers to make him an offer to stay around longer. The reason: Cortez Allen.....................

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/cortez-allen-steps-quietly-into-starting-job-at-corner-for-steelers-689354/#ixzz2UdQj8j68

GBMelBlount
05-28-2013, 07:32 PM
The Steelers just don't produce turnovers the way they used to. They managed 11 interceptions in 2011 and of their 10 in 2012 only six came from a defensive back. Allen, though, was a turnover machine after he moved into the starting lineup at right cornerback to replace the injured Taylor late in the year. In the final two games, Allen had two interceptions (tying Clark for the most in the secondary), three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/cortez-allen-steps-quietly-into-starting-job-at-corner-for-steelers-689354/#ixzz2UdYlaL4S

I am excited to see Allen on the field this year. He could actually be an upgrade over Lewis.

While we have lost a lot of players this offseason I cannot say there is anyone that is not replaceable.

Let's hope the FO got this offseason right.

cold-hard-steel
05-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Ahhhhhh , let im play . Take it to the field brother man . Show us what you got . We all will be watchin you .Being young has to have a reflection on your carreer . Just start like Donny Shell .

steelerdude15
05-28-2013, 10:46 PM
"I'm not that type to make predictions or boast about myself," Allen said as the Steelers resumed practices today with their fourth of the spring. "I'm a very humble guy. I just come to work every day and try to get better and better so I can help my team the best I can."

THIS sticks out to me the most from this article.