PDA

View Full Version : Greatest coaches in nfl history(Chuck Noll is 9th)

polamalubeast
05-28-2013, 06:59 PM
9. Chuck Noll -- Four Super Bowl wins in six years. Then why isn't he higher, you ask? Because he did it with only one quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, and one defense, the Steel Curtain. The Rooneys go on winning long after Noll. And once Bradshaw left? Noll went 62-67.

read more

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/greatestcoachreilly/my-top-20-nfl-coaches

Dwinsgames
05-28-2013, 07:48 PM
blasphemy !

Noll took an organization stuck in the cycle of generating loser after loser for decades turned around the culture from misfits to crown jewel of the league in a few short years and won 4 Lombardi trophies in a span of 6 seasons ( something never before or since accomplished ) and he is 9th ??? the list is a JOKE !

Noll is always shunned in this sort of thing when the fact is he may be the best head coach in the history of sports period

Chidi29
05-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Yeah, because Art Sr. had so much success before Noll...

Dwinsgames
05-28-2013, 08:05 PM
The Superbowl is the pie in the sky for every team and a guy ranked higher than Noll is 0-2 in games that mattered VS Noll .... further evidence of what a joke the list is

GBMelBlount
05-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Wow, it really sucks that he won 4 super bowls so quickly....

fansince'76
05-28-2013, 08:31 PM
the list is a JOKE !

ESPN - 'nuff said...

cold-hard-steel
05-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Wow man , how you cut on a man that created a mentality , and a kind of legacy is beyond me .

fansince'76
05-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Wow man , how you cut on a man that created a mentality , and a kind of legacy is beyond me .

Not to mention the ridiculous sliding scale he uses. He marks an offensive genius like Walsh down because he had the "good fortune" of having Joe Montana, yet puts that cheating prick in Boston in the top 5 saying that he "made Brady." Yeah, never mind the whopping .450 winning percentage the "Evil Genius" racked up before the Mighty Metrosexual came along and he discovered illegal videotaping. That list is a steaming hot pile of bullshit.

Well, Disney Channel II is based in New England, after all. Go figure...

st33lersguy
05-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Oh, I see, penalize Noll for Cowher's and Tomlin's success, that makes sense, and Bill Walsh won the Super Bowl with only one QB, and the 49ers continued winning after Walsh retired (they won 2 super bowls within the next 6 years Walsh retired), nice logic. Yeah Bellicheat is better, which explains why he lost 2 Superbowls to significantly inferior Giant squads that had no business beating the Patriots and why he hasn't hoisted the Lombardi trophy since Spygate. It's obvious this moron has a bias against Chuck Noll

X-Terminator
05-29-2013, 01:18 AM
BSPN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-3Iq3XQkAw

That's what I think of their "list."

ALLD
05-29-2013, 05:12 AM
Belechek goes to #4 for the same reason, but different spin as Noll.

Moose
05-29-2013, 06:44 AM
And this list is why Reilly is just a 'columnist' and not a 'sports' writer. LOL.

tube517
05-29-2013, 06:55 AM
:yawn:

NJarhead
05-29-2013, 07:02 AM
This

blasphemy !

Noll took an organization stuck in the cycle of generating loser after loser for decades turned around the culture from misfits to crown jewel of the league in a few short years and won 4 Lombardi trophies in a span of 6 seasons ( something never before or since accomplished ) and he is 9th ??? the list is a JOKE !

Noll is always shunned in this sort of thing when the fact is he may be the best head coach in the history of sports period

This

ESPN - 'nuff said...

And, BWAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAA, this

Not to mention the ridiculous sliding scale he uses. He marks an offensive genius like Walsh down because he had the "good fortune" of having Joe Montana, yet puts that cheating prick in Boston in the top 5 saying that he "made Brady." Yeah, never mind the whopping .450 winning percentage the "Evil Genius" racked up before the Mighty Metrosexual came along and he discovered illegal videotaping. That list is a steaming hot pile of bullshit.

Well, Disney Channel II is based in New England, after all. Go figure...

tube517
05-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Oh, I see, penalize Noll for Cowher's and Tomlin's success, that makes sense, and Bill Walsh won the Super Bowl with only one QB, and the 49ers continued winning after Walsh retired (they won 2 super bowls within the next 6 years Walsh retired), nice logic. Yeah Bellicheat is better, which explains why he lost 2 Superbowls to significantly inferior Giant squads that had no business beating the Patriots and why he hasn't hoisted the Lombardi trophy since Spygate. It's obvious this moron has a bias against Chuck Noll

Not only this clown but many others. I remember the telecasts in the 70s and early 80s and all of the pregame shows/MNF etc would jack off over Shula, Landry, Grant, Knox etc. Yet, they were indifferent to Noll.
So, they can take their greatest coaches "lists" turn 'em sideways and stick em straight up their candy asses.

zulater
05-29-2013, 10:20 AM
This is one guy's list, so it's really not that big of deal. But it is a shame that Noll gets marked down because the of the 80's, when the talent level of those teams just wasn't that good. Truth be told going to the AFC title game with Mark Malone as his qb in 84 might have been the best coaching job for a single season in the history of the team. A close second might be the job he did with the 89 team that got it's door's blown off in the first two games, but rallied back to make the playoffs and end up a dropped pass from the AFC title game.

So if you want to fault Noll for those drafts in the 80's, that's fine. But if you want to judge him on the performance of the available talent on the field then outside of Lombardi I don't know of anyone better.

Texasteel
05-29-2013, 10:57 AM
I think it was Noll that started the phrase, when we where playing the cowboys. They can go ahead and be Americas Team, we'll try and get by on the title, World Champions. Pretty much covers this article as well.

zulater
05-29-2013, 11:06 AM
I think it was Noll that started the phrase, when we where playing the cowboys. They can go ahead and be Americas Team, we'll try and get by on the title, World Champions. Pretty much covers this article as well.

:applaudit:

Chidi29
05-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Oh Reilly wrote this? All makes sense now...

polamalubeast
05-29-2013, 02:31 PM
No Bill Parcells on this list......

st33lersguy
05-29-2013, 02:51 PM
This is one guy's list, so it's really not that big of deal. But it is a shame that Noll gets marked down because the of the 80's, when the talent level of those teams just wasn't that good. Truth be told going to the AFC title game with Mark Malone as his qb in 84 might have been the best coaching job for a single season in the history of the team. A close second might be the job he did with the 89 team that got it's door's blown off in the first two games, but rallied back to make the playoffs and end up a dropped pass from the AFC title game.

Yeah that run to the AFC Championship in 84 was impressive considering that under Noll, the Steelers became the first team to beat the Broncos in Mile High and that the Steelers were a 9-7 squad that upset a 13-3 Broncos squad led by John Elway. And the divisional playoff game they almost won was also against the Elway-led Broncos, this time with Bubby fricking Brister. And if this moron is going to penalize Noll for the 80s, how about penalizing Tom Landry for the 80s, considering that by the time he was done with the Cowboys, they were the worst team in the NFL. This hate on Noll comes with so many double standards.

SteelerEmpire
05-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Yea. They cancelled the comments section on there for good reason...

Psycho Ward 86
05-29-2013, 11:40 PM
LOL

Dwinsgames
05-31-2013, 01:45 AM
the only thing that sucks more than this list , is the fact that it is this dam late at night and I am still awake and should be up in 3 hours for work ................

zulater
05-31-2013, 11:26 PM

This is a great point you strike upon. Noll coached teams virtually never lost when they were the better team! Particularly in the playoffs. Go through the years and tell me which of Noll's playoff losses came as a favorite? When Noll had the better team, he won, just about every time. Simple as that.

fansince'76
06-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Yeah that run to the AFC Championship in 84 was impressive considering that under Noll, the Steelers became the first team to beat the Broncos in Mile High and that the Steelers were a 9-7 squad that upset a 13-3 Broncos squad led by John Elway. And the divisional playoff game they almost won was also against the Elway-led Broncos, this time with Bubby fricking Brister.

Good point. Also don't forget that the '84 Steelers gave the Niners their ONLY loss that year - in Candlestick Park, no less. I happen to think that '84 and '89 were two of Noll's better coaching jobs, particularly '84 - getting a team to the AFCCG with a handicap as big as Mark Malone under center and a defense that was a pale imitation of what it was just a few years earlier was nothing less than brilliant coaching. Bubby Brister? Compared to Mark Malone, Bubby Brister was another Bradshaw. Brister was a mediocre QB on a mediocre team, but Malone absolutely sucked out loud. I rejoiced the day we finally shipped his ass to San Diego in '88.

Steeldude
06-01-2013, 06:15 AM
9. Chuck Noll -- Four Super Bowl wins in six years. Then why isn't he higher, you ask? Because he did it with only one quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, and one defense, the Steel Curtain. The Rooneys go on winning long after Noll. And once Bradshaw left? Noll went 62-67.

read more

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/greatestcoachreilly/my-top-20-nfl-coaches

Bradshaw wasn't the only player to leave. They all left(retired).

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, the NFL started in 1966. One could also say it started in 1970.