PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Change In Philosophy, Part 1: The Cowher/Donahoe Years

stillers4me
05-25-2013, 10:39 AM
This article is Part 1 of 2 examining the front office philosophies of the last 20 years beginning with the Tom Donahoe and Bill Cowher era (1991-1999) and the Bill Cowher Kevin Colbert era (2000-2006). Part 2 which will post on Monday will examine the Kevin Colbert Mike Tomlin era (2007- present).

Steelers Front Office Philosophies
Through the past 20 years the Pittsburgh Steelers under General Managers Tom Donahoe and Kevin Colbert were consistent in how they ran the organization: Build through the draft, don’t trade away draft picks, don’t reach for draft picks, stick to the draft board, don’t go after expensive free agents including their own, don’t negotiate with a hold out, don’t negotiate with a player in season, don’t re-do contracts for cap purposes, cut a player rather than asking that player to take a pay cut, don’t negotiate with a player until he has one year left, negotiate with the quarterback and head coach with (2) years left on their contracts and retain younger inexpensive players over aging more costly veterans. Because the Steelers have stuck to these philosophies it has given the Steelers the reputation as one of the best front offices in the league and rightfully so............

read more @ http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/05/25/steelers-change-in-philosophy-part-1-the-cowher-donahoe-years/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Trending

Mojouw
05-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Here is part 2. Some interesting points, but a lot of stuff that is open for debate.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/05/27/steelers-change-in-philosophy-part-2-the-colbert-tomlin-years/

Without bogging down in specifics, not sure how the recent renegotiation and release of several veteran players is all that different than what happened in the '90s. Putting draft picks on Tomlin (Leveon Bell) and stating that is different than Cowher/Donahue or Cowher/Colbert is totally ignoring the issue(s) that are behind the website's name (Nice Pick, Cowher).

An interesting take, but I don't agree with much of it. Not that that matters!

Mistah Q
05-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Just read through part 2... utter claptrap.

fansince'76
05-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Just read through part 2... utter claptrap.

I didn't bother to read it, but that's not surprising. I'm beginning to put that "NicePickCowher" blogsite on about the same level as Bleacher Report.