PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game

stillers4me
05-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Three spring practices were more than enough to make a believer out of Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) center Maurkice Pouncey.

Pouncey is such a believer that he wouldn't mind if the Steelers threw out their old blocking schemes — power and inside zone — for what new offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. has been installing over the first week of organized team activities: the outside zone, one-cut blocking style. Denver was successful with the system under Alex Gibbs two decades ago, and it has helped Houston's Arian Foster become one of the NFL's best running backs.

“I don't know if Maurkice was joking or not when he said that,” guard Ramon Foster said. “I think he was, but, still, that's how much we are liking this. It's a great new dynamic for us.” ..........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4070053-74/running-steelers-zone#ixzz2UIzpr73W

What is outside zone blocking?

The Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) will be adding the outside zone blocking scheme to their repertoire this year. The outside zone blocking scheme involves the center, guard, tackle and tight end working in combination to block an area with an emphasis on double-teaming the defensive linemen who are aligned on the line of scrimmage. They will all step in unison laterally to the play side at the snap in order to create movement along the defense. The key is for the two offensive linemen working in unison to double-team the defensive lineman to decide who and when one of them will leave to block the linebacker. The running back aims for a point outside the tight end and cuts upfield wherever a seam appears. There are no predetermined holes to where a running back is supposed run.

steeldawg
05-25-2013, 08:38 AM
I like the sound of this

ALLD
05-26-2013, 05:19 PM
But we could end up ruining the 26th ranked running game in the NFL.

salamander
05-26-2013, 05:21 PM
But we could end up ruining the 26th ranked running game in the NFL.

We wouldn't want to do that... :chuckle:

tube517
05-26-2013, 09:10 PM
I hope Gilbert doesn't kick start the IR list.

Spike
05-26-2013, 11:34 PM
a new blocking scheme is better than a no blocking scheme

Run Ben Run!

Craic
05-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Don't know, honestly, that type of run system seems like it would have been designed better for Mendy than what we have now. I like the ideas, but I hope we have the RB's to do it.

GBMelBlount
05-27-2013, 06:29 AM
Less predictable keeps the defenses honest.

As long as the line has the athleticism to pull it off it sounds like a good thing regardless of who is in the backfield.

Mojouw
05-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Don't know, honestly, that type of run system seems like it would have been designed better for Mendy than what we have now. I like the ideas, but I hope we have the RB's to do it.

My fear exactly. So we tried a power scheme with a zone back and now we are going to try a zone scheme with a power back?

Hope it works better than it sounds.