PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Hire Chidi Iwuoma as BLESTO Scout

fansince'76
05-21-2013, 03:32 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have hired former cornerback Chidi Iwuoma as the team’s BLESTO Scout, it was announced today. The team’s former BLESTO Scout, Mike Butler, will now serve as a college scout.

Read more: Steelers Hire Chidi Iwuoma as BLESTO Scout (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Hire-Chidi-Iwuoma-as-BLESTO-Scout/07f90658-637b-4fe1-9ad7-f65c57bb5be6)

Chidi29
05-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Best. News. Ever.

steelreserve
05-21-2013, 03:59 PM
As a side note, it sounds like the old BLESTO scout had about the shortest tenure ever. Didn't we hire him about a week and a half ago?

also, I love saying "BLESTO scout." Such a funny word.

Mistah Q
05-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Gesundheit.

tube517
05-21-2013, 06:16 PM
I thought they hired THE REAL Chidi from SU. :chuckle:

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

salamander
05-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Best. News. Ever.

You were the first person that came to mind when I first saw that they hired him. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
05-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Best. News. Ever.

i was about to say, somewhere out there, Chidi29 is getting a woodey but you beat me to it :chuckle:

salamander
05-21-2013, 07:00 PM
i was about to say, somewhere out there, Chidi29 is getting a woodey but you beat me to it :chuckle:

I thought that said a "woodley". :lol:

Seven
05-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Good.

Chidi29
05-21-2013, 10:16 PM

HAHA! I plead the 5th...

But seriously, best birthday gift every for me!

Hindes204
05-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Came in here to post what everyone already said about chidi29...so yea, what they said

steelreserve
05-21-2013, 10:56 PM

I already had one, but this news didn't affect it. Does that count?

NCSteeler
05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
As a side note, it sounds like the old BLESTO scout had about the shortest tenure ever. Didn't we hire him about a week and a half ago?

also, I love saying "BLESTO scout." Such a funny word.

May 10th

- - - Updated - - -

Am I the only one that had to google BLESTO?

http://www.draftdaddy.com/features/blesto.htm

In 1963 three teams formed "LESTO" (Lions Eagles Steelers Talent Organization) based in Pittsburgh. The Bears came on board the following year to make it "BLESTO." The Vikings came through in the later part of the decade to call it BLESTO-V and that is the official name current. However that catchy acronym apparently did not stick and most just call it BLESTO.

Another organization CEPO (Central Eastern Personnel Organization) was formed in 1964 by the Baltimore Colts, Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers and St Louis Cardinals. It grew to include the NY Giants, Atlanta Falcons and Washington Redskins, and eventually re-emerged as the National Football Scouting organization a.k.a. "the National" based in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

In 1977, the National, together with Quadra and Blesto, consolidated their workouts at the Scouting Combine event (currently held in Indianapolis, Indiana every Feburary).

Fast forward to the present day:

There are twelve teams in BLESTO (ATL, BUF, CHI, CLE, DAL, DET, HOU, JAC, MIA, MIN, NYG, PIT).

There are fifteen subscribers to the National (AZ, CAR, CIN, DEN, GB, KC, NO, NYJ, PHI, STL, SD, SF, SEA, TB, TEN). National Scouting also is the logistical organizer of record for the event in Indianapolis.

Note that the National includes BLESTO founding member Philadelphia who switched subscriptions. These alliances are not static.

Membership responsibilities includes over $100,000 in annual dues and the assignment of at least one scout to the group.

As scouts evaluate the current class of seniors visiting schools' pro days, they often work out underclassmen for future draft years. This data and other information is presented at meetings (usually in Florida) about two weeks after the current draft.

The BLESTO and National reports are published from these meetings. These reports serve as a both starting point for the lengthy evaluation process and also a rough guide as to where players are regarded by the group.

Some teams assign their most junior scout to the job of BLESTO/National regional rep, and the best ones are usually promoted or headhunted away from the role in short stint. This instability with the reps (and the lack of evaluating the senior season) can and will affect the accuracy of the reports.

Possibly why the short time of our last BLESTO Scout???

NCSteeler
05-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Some stuff I didn't even notice

Indeed, Ron Hughes, who has headed the Steelers college scouting efforts, will step down as College Scouting Coordinator and move into semi-retirement as Senior Assistant for College Scouting.

The Steelers have promoted Phil Kreidler to the role of College Scouting Coordinator. Kreidler has worked in the Steelers scouting department since he joined as an intern during Chuck Noll’s final season in 1991.

Keeping it in the Family

Dan Rooney often said that he regarded Joe Greene as family, and with Greene gone the Steelers are keeping it in the family. Literally. Rooney's son, Dan Rooney Jr., is already a member of the Steelers scouting department, and now Dan Colbert, son of Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert, was promoted from intern to pro/college scout.

Mike Butler, son of former Steelers cornerback Jack Butler will join as the Steelers BLESTO scout, an organization which Butler headed for decades, giving him a hand in the evaluations ever Steelers Hall of Famer from Terry Bradshaw to Dermontii Dawson, whom Bulter would share the stage with in their induction into Canton.

Dave Petett, who has severed as a “scout” for nine years, will now be a pro/college scout, while Mark Bruener will shift from BLESTO scout to college scout.

That’s probably more than you’d ever care to know about the org chart of the Steelers scouting department, but these individuals are faceless, nameless gnomes that tirelessly mine the college ranks, the pro football equalivialent of tilling the earth that has yielded a record Six Lombardi Trophies.

http://steelcurtainrising.blogspot.com/2013/05/steelers-scouting-dan-colbert-mike-butler.html

steelreserve
05-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Possibly why the short time of our last BLESTO Scout???

Yeah, it seems like the kind of job where they always start the new person ... but this was so quick I doubt Butler even had time to show up and say "Hello." Not important at all in the grand scheme of things, but made me chuckle.